New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Problem with VR Desktop

kingBigfootiakingBigfootia Posts: 4
NerveGear
Since the new update I've been having some issues. Apparently it added a VR Desktop which is considered as a 4k monitor by Windows. The problem is that it's having quite an impact on my performance, also it's really annoying when pressing printscreen or opening the SteamVR overlay, since most of it is just empty area. I managed to disable it temporarily by disabling one of the experimental features, but all of a sudden it's back and I don't know how to get rid of it.
I'm also having an issue where the Oculus app immediately starts up again after I close it, it's not as bad but it's a bit annoying as well.
Tagged:

Comments

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,617 Volunteer Moderator
    That huge "virtual screen" is actually the rifts display, the underlying tech has changed, it's there so that the rift can display an image  
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • kingBigfootiakingBigfootia Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Are you sure, I have a friend who also has a rift and he doesn't get it. Also the screen is just an empty desktop so I doubt it's the display.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,617 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Are you sure, I have a friend who also has a rift and he doesn't get it. Also the screen is just an empty desktop so I doubt it's the display.
    I have been using home 2.0 beta for a year now, always does that. 

Does your friend have the latest update and windows 10?
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    NerveGear
    He does, yeah. He even got the update before me.
    NerveGear
    Is there at all a way to disable it though, or at least to prevent oculus from restarting itself?
  • Thunderbox.EntThunderbox.Ent Posts: 40 Oculus Start Member
    Hi. I had the same issue, so I reached out to Oculus support. They responded pretty quickly with the following fix...
    Thanks for contacting Oculus Support. I'll definitely be able to help you out with what you're seeing on your Display.
    What you are seeing is a "Virtual Display". If you do want, this can be disabled by doing the following:
    Open Dash
    Select Settings
    Select Experiments
    Disable "Panel Pullout"
    Please note that doing this prevents you from being able to pin windows in VR (for more information on this feature, click here).

...which works nicely!

:D