New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Frame rate drops since 1.31 update

DerpeonDerpeon Posts: 7
NerveGear
Is it just me having this issue or is anyone else experiencing frame rate issues since the new 1.31 update? (I have the minimum specs required for oculus so the frame rate drops are very noticeable for me)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,437
    Project 2501
    Where do you see performance drops? - In games, apps, the new Home? Everywhere? 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • DerpeonDerpeon Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:
    Everywhere, there is no escape
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,437
    Project 2501
    Derpeon said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Then I think you should go here:

https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

- or post your system specs in here.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Can you let me know how you know the framerate has dropped? Is it just that it visually looks choppy or have you done any actual performance benchmarks? I ask because all the benchmarks I've seen show that there is little to no performance difference before and after the update. Can you list which specific games have a problem?
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    edited October 2018
    Can you let me know how you know the framerate has dropped? Is it just that it visually looks choppy or have you done any actual performance benchmarks? I ask because all the benchmarks I've seen show that there is little to no performance difference before and after the update. Can you list which specific games have a problem?
    I haven't done benchmarks, just noticed its a little choppy, could it possibly be an issue with my sensors and tracking? Everything is up to date, not sure what it could be I just assumed it was frame rate drops because with beat saber, RoboRecall, and more, everything like objects drag when I look side to side when a lot is happening in the games or when I just look at my hands and move them both back and forth simultaneously they stutter and there is no fluid movement. I apologize if I'm a little confusing I've only had the oculus for 4 months so far so I'm not completely familiar with VR yet
    NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:
    Derpeon said:
    RuneSR2 said:

Then I think you should go here:

https://tickets.oculusvr.com/hc/en-us/requests/new

- or post your system specs in here.
    How do I post my system specs by chance? That would actually help if people knew what I was using and could help them better understand how to guide me through any troubles I ever have
    Just write your specs in a post here. Most importantly are CPU, GPU, motherboard and RAM.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Just write your specs in a post here. Most importantly are CPU, GPU, motherboard and RAM.
    My CPU is a intel core i3(Intel 3.70 GHz Core i3-6100 3M Cache Processor) to be specific. My GPU is MSI Computer Video Card (GTX 1050 TI 4G OC). My motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-H110M-A LGA1151 Intel H110 Micro ATX DDR4 Motherboard. Lastly My RAM is Kingston Technology HyperX Fury 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4 2133 MHz Desktop Memory DIMM (288-Pin) RAM HX421C14FB/16
    So, that machine is just at the bar for minimum requirements, but should be working. You'll likely be at 45fps with ASW, but the experience should still look smooth. If it's not then there may be something going on.
    NerveGear
    edited October 2018
    So, that machine is just at the bar for minimum requirements, but should be working. You'll likely be at 45fps with ASW, but the experience should still look smooth. If it's not then there may be something going on.
    possibly a problem with my sensors, I plan on upgrading but should I get a 1060 or a core i5? at the moment I can only upgrade my cpu or gpu with my budget

• MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 1,318
    3Jane
    edited October 2018
    1. Do not run any fan/OC software e.g. Precision (certainly not using K-Boost with the 10 Series cards).
    2. Don't use OTT/ODT but use ingame SS to a ratio which does work.
    3. Set ASW=OFF by Left CNTRL + Nmpad 1.
    4. Rid unnecessary programs in Task Bar e.g. Cortana which has a switch in Win10Pro else you need to hack it and rename it's files before they reload.
    5. Uninstall Nvidia Drivers for 3D, Audio and Experience.
    6. Be sure nothing else is running in Task Icons by your clock e.g. SteamVR if you do not intend to run at that time.
    7. Check in Windows Update as there could be updates waiting to complete. Antivirus may also be waiting completion and is only shown if you look in Defender and it displays some moving dots. These all take up RAM and do cause stutters.
    8. Do use latest Nvidia 416.16 as it is the best so far and does increase fps. Select Clean Install. No need to use DDU unless you have major problems going forwards.

NerveGear
    Hey Cybereality I went to settings in the oculus app and there is something in the beta category that says restart oculus, would this possibly be beneficial to the performance of my oculus?