New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus Hardware Report - interesting user facts

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
So, Oculus offers insight into what hardware are all Oculus Rift users running to help developers better target their games, some very interesting observations!

96.2% of all Oculus users have Windows 10

92% are Nvidia users .. in that 72% have a 1050Ti or above.

92% have a 4 core or higher CPU (interestingly 6 core CPU's are rising steadily)

This is a new metric I noticed:
95.2% of all users have Touch paired with their headset. (This is really great news for developers)

Also interesting that the most common play area space is roughly 2m x 2m

You can check out the Hardware report here, this is based on all Rift devices that are out there:
https://developer.oculus.com/hardware-report/pc/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,117
    Wintermute
    I used to not be part of the mass, but that was before Oculus... Now I'm glad to be fully inside the stats ;)

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.5GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 4,925 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Very interesting, it's quite a lot different than the Steam Hardware Survey, where less than 5% have 1080 (Ti) cards - in here it's close to 30 %. Still we have a similar amount of 1060s. 

Buying a game without Touch support has been a no-go for me that last year, well apart from a driving sim and Hellblade. And some hardcore sim users made fun of me for wanting Touch in driving sims, for wanting to use Touch to hold the steering wheel and use the gear stick etc  :(;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    RuneSR2 said:
    Very interesting, it's quite a lot different than the Steam Hardware Survey, where less than 5% have 1080 (Ti) cards - in here it's close to 30 %. Still we have a similar amount of 1060s. 
    It's a lot more focused, many steam games can run on a potato. Oculus wont run on anything below min spec, so that changes things.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 512
    Neo
    And some hardcore sim users made fun of me for wanting Touch in driving sims, for wanting to use Touch to hold the steering wheel and use the gear stick

While it sucks that they make fun of you, I do think the Touch aren't the most appropriate controllers for sim games ^^. Holding an actual wheel, with force feedback, is way more immersive than holding the Touch controllers and pretending it's a wheel.

As for the figures, bear in mind that they are stats, and stats by definition are not 100% trustworthy. In fact, I even dare say they don't mean anything as long as you don't take almost every sample into account. Statistics just suck. Did you know they are called "soft science" in some languages? A "soft science" is a science that doesn't rely on pure hard figures, facts or logic. It doesn't mean it is completely useless, only that it has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

In the case of Steam Hardware Survey, it is made with only a handful of people (1000, I think?). You can't expand the result of a 1000 sample on a population of millions. 

As for the Oculus figures, I have no idea if they take everybody into account or if it's just a handful of people as well.
    At any rate, that's why the figures are so different ^^. The samples simply aren't the same.
    It's still interesting to see these figures, although I would rather have a number of Oculus Rift sales...
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    And some hardcore sim users made fun of me for wanting Touch in driving sims, for wanting to use Touch to hold the steering wheel and use the gear stick

While it sucks that they make fun of you, I do think the Touch aren't the most appropriate controllers for sim games ^^. Holding an actual wheel, with force feedback, is way more immersive than holding the Touch controllers and pretending it's a wheel.

As for the figures, bear in mind that they are stats, and stats by definition are not 100% trustworthy. In fact, I even dare say they don't mean anything as long as you don't take almost every sample into account. Statistics just suck. Did you know they are called "soft science" in some languages? A "soft science" is a science that doesn't rely on pure hard figures, facts or logic. It doesn't mean it is completely useless, only that it has to be taken with a huge grain of salt.

In the case of Steam Hardware Survey, it is made with only a handful of people (1000, I think?). You can't expand the result of a 1000 sample on a population of millions. 

As for the Oculus figures, I have no idea if they take everybody into account or if it's just a handful of people as well.
    At any rate, that's why the figures are so different ^^. The samples simply aren't the same.
    It's still interesting to see these figures, although I would rather have a number of Oculus Rift sales...

They take everyone, this is not an opt-in. 

"The Hardware Report is a snapshot of all devices running Oculus software over the last 28 days as of 12 October 2018."

Neo
    Okay, thanks for the info!
    Current VR results imo:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

I had the impression that the Steam Hardware Survey is based on all Steam Users who haven't opted out of the survey, possibly millions of users - where did you read about the survey being limited to 1000 users? Thanks!

PS. According to Steam: "Steam conducts a monthly survey to collect data about what kinds of computer hardware and software our customers are using. Participation in the survey is optional, and anonymous. The information gathered is incredibly helpful to us as we make decisions about what kinds of technology investments to make and products to offer."
    https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

It just says "our customers" - it doesn't say "1000 customers" or even "a representative fraction of our customers"...

According to Tom's Hardware survey results from April 2018 and newer should be accurate - and I'm referring to the September 2018 results in my previous post:

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam-hardware-survey-cpu-gpu,37007.html
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,390 Valuable Player
    Nope. You have to opt in to each individual survey when a box pops up and asks you. Not sure how many people are asked but I've only been selected once.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    I always got "selected" for the Steam surveys, on a routine basis, every single year.  Coincidentally, I haven't been chosen even once since I got my Rift.

As for our camp, I'm curious about the 5% of people that DON'T have Touch yet;  That means they had to have bought the original Rift-only packages, and when Touch came out they just said, "Nah, I'm good with what I got."  :confused::grey_question:

It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    Neo
    As for me, I have never ever been chosen for the Survey, in around 5 years.
    I'm not sure about the "1000" (hence my "I think?" xD), I guess I just heard it somewhere but yeah, there is no official number.
    Current VR results imo:

- Full Body Tracking.

As for me, I have never ever been chosen for the Survey, in around 5 years.
    I'm not sure about the "1000" (hence my "I think?" xD), I guess I just heard it somewhere but yeah, there is no official number.

I've at least accepted twice that Steam could get my specs - I never gave it much thought, but did think it just would happen automatically if I didn't opt out. So great to get more info about the procedures. 

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,575 Volunteer Moderator
    I think I've had 3 invites so far, ignored the first one but accepted the last 2. Wasn't sure if they're random or not but the interval between requests varied a lot.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.720)