New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Why can't I just watch 360 videos from YouTube and the like on my Rift?

inceptionalinceptional Posts: 200
Nexus 6
edited October 2018 in Oculus Rift + Touch
Seriously, it is beyond frustrating at this point that there isn't some easy and obvious way to view these damned 360 videos of my Oculus Rift.

I just want to watch these videos and Google's 360 shorts and the like in my Rift (in proper high quality) without hacking in third party apps or paying for other apps and stuff:





You have basically one-click functionality for this on the likes of Gear VR and Go, so can you get this sorted already for Rift too, for God's sake--it's driving me f'n insane that something that should be so simple, and should be a default 1-click feature on the Rift, doesn't work properly out the box.

Why can't I simply navigate to any/all the 360 videos on YouTube and stuff like that in the Oculus Videos app even? The selection you have there just now is largely crap as they all seem to run in really low-res on my headset, and navigating to any specific video is a nightmare.

Rather than bloating and convoluting the likes of Home with a bunch of utterly fluff crap that only pure tech-heads and geeks get excited over, how about actually getting the basics sorted first.

Or am I'm missing something real obvious here, maybe something added to the new [God how I hate it] version of Home that isn't obvious at all?
«13

Comments

  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 431
    Trinity
    edited October 2018
    Every 360 content is available with WebVR, which has been implemented in Opera, Firefox and (I think) Edge too. Just use one of those browsers. For the downloaded 360 content, there's a ton of good players...
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.


    My hopes for VR next gen:

    - Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.


    "If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • inceptionalinceptional Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    Every 360 content is available with WebVR, which has been implemented in Opera, Firefox and (I think) Edge too. Just use one of those browsers.
    So, if I have one of those browsers installed on my PC, how do I watch the 360 videos on my Rift? Do they show an icon/button that I just click and the automatically boot into and work on Rift properly, or something like that? Am I supposed to navigate to them from directly inside the Rift using the desktop mode, or do I use my PC to get to them as per normal and then when I click the icon/button, or whatever it is, they automatically boot up my Rift for me to put on and view them as intended?

    Edit: I just installed it and went to the same videos above on my PC, but just like before, I can see no obvious way to get them to run from there on my Rift. So do I need to navigate to them from directly inside the Rift or something for the option to even be visible?

    Edit 2: Nope, navigating to them inside the Rift in desktop view doesn't show any icons/buttons to play them as intended either.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Rather than bloating and convoluting the likes of Home with a bunch of utterly fluff crap that only pure tech-heads and geeks get excited over, how about actually getting the basics sorted first.
    There are definitely tech-heads and geeks out there (and on this forum) who are far more savvy than myself, yet I've been able to successfully watch any and every short film using my Rift. It works well on my GO too.
    Not sure what problems you are having, but maybe if you spent less time using the Internet to call everyone who knows more than you "a geek," and instead use the Internet to educate yourself on matters that are causing you frustrating, you'd end up realizing how easy these solutions are, and how you don't have to be a pure tech-head geek to accomplish something so elementary.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,646 Volunteer Moderator
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

    Be kind to one another :)
  • inceptionalinceptional Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    Zenbane said:
    Rather than bloating and convoluting the likes of Home with a bunch of utterly fluff crap that only pure tech-heads and geeks get excited over, how about actually getting the basics sorted first.
    There are definitely tech-heads and geeks out there (and on this forum) who are far more savvy than myself, yet I've been able to successfully watch any and every short film using my Rift. It works well on my GO too.
    Not sure what problems you are having, but maybe if you spent less time using the Internet to call everyone who knows more than you "a geek," and instead use the Internet to educate yourself on matters that are causing you frustrating, you'd end up realizing how easy these solutions are, and how you don't have to be a pure tech-head geek to accomplish something so elementary.
    Then please explain this to me: I have my browser open on my PC. I have the videos loaded and open. There is no option to view them on my Rift. And this is true if I navigate to them using the desktop browser directly inside Rift too. I've also tried this in Chrome, Opera and Firefox--same result. So, am I the dumb one or is the problem that there is no obvious option to view these videos properly on my Rift?

    Again, HOW EXACTLY does one view these frikin' 360 videos in/on the Rift?

    If you're saying it's so easy then show me. . . .

    And, when I say easy I don't mean having to download a third party app to play them, plus downloading the videos using a third party app/website just to get them on your system and be accessible, and then also changing filenames/extensions to get them to work, and whatever the hell else. That's not easy. That's what total geeks mistakenly think is easy. 

    To be clear, I did actually try that and various options like that anyway, and still the specific videos I linked above didn't work, because they appear to be split into four horizontal segments and neither Oculus' own video app nor Deo VR (as two examples I've tried) allows to me to change any setting that lets this particular type of video run correctly.

    And I also don't mean by running stuff through Steam either, which is clunky mess itself, or paying for additional third party apps, which I can't afford and really shouldn't have to pay for just to watch a frikin' 360 video on Rift VR headset, which is literally what these damn videos were made for.

    I just want to be able to go to and watch a 360 video on my Rift. The fact I have to even come in here and ask how to do this is an utter joke--this is one of the core features of VR, and it should be literally a button click or two to find and get these kinds of videos playing on the Rift.

    Edit: Yeah, that's what I thought.
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 204
    Nexus 6
    Steam(VR) has YoutubeVR. And it has Oculus support.
    [email protected], Rog Strix 1080 a8g in range 139MHz-1974MHz, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    And i STILL want non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    I just want to be able to go to and watch a 360 video on my Rift. The fact I have to even come in here and ask how to do this is an utter joke--this is one of the core features of VR

    Actually... a mere 360 video is not a true immersive virtual reality experience. 360 and Virtual Reality are quite different. I would say that it's an utter joke to refer to a "core feature" of Virtual Reality as the lack of environmental inclusion via 360 videos.
    In fact, the reason you have to ask how to use a Rift for 360 videos is because a Rift is made for true high-end VR, and 360 videos are low-level media experiences aimed for the lesser immersive technology that comes from MobileVR.

    What you've done here is: You bought a Truck and are complaining because you can't ride it on the Bicycle lane.
    Thank da lawd that Facebook made the Quest HMD! I've suddenly been reminded that... not everyone should own PCVR.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • inceptionalinceptional Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    Zenbane said:
    I just want to be able to go to and watch a 360 video on my Rift. The fact I have to even come in here and ask how to do this is an utter joke--this is one of the core features of VR

    Actually... a mere 360 video is not a true immersive virtual reality experience. 360 and Virtual Reality are quite different. I would say that it's an utter joke to refer to a "core feature" of Virtual Reality as the lack of environmental inclusion via 360 videos.
    In fact, the reason you have to ask how to use a Rift for 360 videos is because a Rift is made for true high-end VR, and 360 videos are low-level media experiences aimed for the lesser immersive technology that comes from MobileVR.

    What you've done here is: You bought a Truck and are complaining because you can't ride it on the Bicycle lane.
    Thank da lawd that Facebook made the Quest HMD! I've suddenly been reminded that... not everyone should own PCVR.
    It's still a core feature of current-gen. Right now, 360 videos are one of thee big selling pushes on VR--they are a USP of the tech right now, aka a feature--it's that simple.

    And, to set you straight, I bought a VR headset to experience everything VR has to offer right now, not what you think we all should be enjoying, you ignoramus. You don't get to say what is and is not part of the VR experience--you're nowhere near relevant enough for that.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,099
    Wintermute
    Vomit my popcorn twice in 360 degrees this time ...

    “Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

    "Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

    I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    It's still a core feature of current-gen.
    Don't use vague phrases like "it's" and "current-gen." You don't seem to have a basic understanding of this stuff so you should try to be as specific as possible. What you are trying to say is this:
    360 Media is core feature of First Generation PCVR
    And that is not necessarily true. PCVR's core feature is Virtual Environment immersion and interaction. However, for those who do want to experience 360 Media with PCVR then there are easy ways to accomplish this. I've been watching 360 Videos with my Rift since 2016. Although now I prefer it with my GO.

    And, to set you straight, I bought a VR headset to experience everything VR has to offer right now,

    And to set you straight, mister tister, after you bought your PCVR headset, you apparently decided that you weren't going to learn how to use it properly (or happily).


    not what you think we all should be enjoying, you ignoramus.

    If I were an ignoramus then I'd be on a PCVR Forum 2 years after the Rift hit the market demanding an explanation on how to use a URL while also calling 360 Media a core feature of PCVR. But alas, that's aalll you!


    You don't get to say what is and is not part of the VR experience--you're nowhere near relevant enough for that.

    You don't get to say with is and is not a "core feature" of PCVR, you're nowhere near informed enough for that.

    Besides, this isn't even about a "core feature" anyway. I don't even think you know what the phrase "core feature" means. What you are really trying to say is, "this should just be Plug n Play." That's the type of end-user that you portray: the type that needs everything Plug n Play.

    Plug n Play <> Core Feature

    Learn to use your technology properly.

    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • FieldMarshallFieldMarshall Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    edited December 2018
    Zenbane said:
    It's still a core feature of current-gen.
    Don't use vague phrases like "it's" and "current-gen." You don't seem to have a basic understanding of this stuff so you should try to be as specific as possible. What you are trying to say is this:
    360 Media is core feature of First Generation PCVR
    And that is not necessarily true. PCVR's core feature is Virtual Environment immersion and interaction. However, for those who do want to experience 360 Media with PCVR then there are easy ways to accomplish this. I've been watching 360 Videos with my Rift since 2016. Although now I prefer it with my GO.

    And, to set you straight, I bought a VR headset to experience everything VR has to offer right now,

    And to set you straight, mister tister, after you bought your PCVR headset, you apparently decided that you weren't going to learn how to use it properly (or happily).


    not what you think we all should be enjoying, you ignoramus.

    If I were an ignoramus then I'd be on a PCVR Forum 2 years after the Rift hit the market demanding an explanation on how to use a URL while also calling 360 Media a core feature of PCVR. But alas, that's aalll you!


    You don't get to say what is and is not part of the VR experience--you're nowhere near relevant enough for that.

    You don't get to say with is and is not a "core feature" of PCVR, you're nowhere near informed enough for that.

    Besides, this isn't even about a "core feature" anyway. I don't even think you know what the phrase "core feature" means. What you are really trying to say is, "this should just be Plug n Play." That's the type of end-user that you portray: the type that needs everything Plug n Play.

    Plug n Play <> Core Feature

    Learn to use your technology properly.

    I feel disgusted that you would take so much of your time to instead of helping a fellow VR enthusiast spend it criticizing and attacking him. You have said nothing useful whatsoever.

    I have more than 4 years of experience with VR development and use, as that is what my job description entails. And this problem is as annoying to me as it can be to any "non-techy" person. It's a matter of speed. Need to browse some videos online for showcase to customers or friends and it is impossible to browse and play those video at the same time without having to go through a lengthy process. There are several apps for android VR devices that allow easy browsing of 360 and 3D video content on the most popular video sharing websites in the internet. In other words these app exist. It would be unacceptable to ask someone to buy a new device like the Oculus Go or the GearVR to experience content that they could experience at a much higher quality with the Rift they already own and use for multiple applications.

    As of today I tested Opera VR-player wich is advertised as fully functional by Opera but it doesn't work, its bugged, and not only that but the bug has been reported on its forums so the issue is known. Firefox latest builds does not directly work with the Oculus for VR playback of any sort of video content on non WebVR enabled websites. Chrome latest version doesn't support WebVR content. Edge has solutions that are the closest thing to proper web browsing support for VR on PC but it only works with Windows Mixed Rreality headsets, no oculus rift support. In otherwords, currently there is no browser based solution to the issue. This means there is no way to browse the internet for videos and watch them as you browse. A separate application needs to be launched for the content to be viewed on PC. In android these functionality are all within a single app.

    Now that that is clear, on to the solution. There are multiple paid solutions like Virtual Desktop, but the best solution I could find is the DeoVR. It is able to play the video from youtube, facebook and other major platforms by fetching it and its possibly the best free solution out there.Simply install and open DeoVR copy the link from the browser (say from youtube or facebook), click on the DeoVR app and then hold ctrl+v to paste the video and load it. It should start playing right away.
  • inceptionalinceptional Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2018
    Zenbane said:
    It's still a core feature of current-gen.
    Don't use vague phrases like "it's" and "current-gen." You don't seem to have a basic understanding of this stuff so you should try to be as specific as possible. What you are trying to say is this:
    360 Media is core feature of First Generation PCVR
    And that is not necessarily true. PCVR's core feature is Virtual Environment immersion and interaction. However, for those who do want to experience 360 Media with PCVR then there are easy ways to accomplish this. I've been watching 360 Videos with my Rift since 2016. Although now I prefer it with my GO.

    And, to set you straight, I bought a VR headset to experience everything VR has to offer right now,

    And to set you straight, mister tister, after you bought your PCVR headset, you apparently decided that you weren't going to learn how to use it properly (or happily).


    not what you think we all should be enjoying, you ignoramus.

    If I were an ignoramus then I'd be on a PCVR Forum 2 years after the Rift hit the market demanding an explanation on how to use a URL while also calling 360 Media a core feature of PCVR. But alas, that's aalll you!


    You don't get to say what is and is not part of the VR experience--you're nowhere near relevant enough for that.

    You don't get to say with is and is not a "core feature" of PCVR, you're nowhere near informed enough for that.

    Besides, this isn't even about a "core feature" anyway. I don't even think you know what the phrase "core feature" means. What you are really trying to say is, "this should just be Plug n Play." That's the type of end-user that you portray: the type that needs everything Plug n Play.

    Plug n Play <> Core Feature

    Learn to use your technology properly.

    I can't even be bothered with your completely and utterly assumptive, often misguided, and ignorant garbage right now--suffice to say that you are a moron of the highest order. What I will say though is that you really are a nerd who thinks like a nerd, and like a nerd, you think other people think like you, but like a nerd, you're too stupid and stuck in your own little nerd bubble to realise that only nerds like you think like you:

    The whole 360 video playback issue on Rift is a joke, but you're too blinded by your own blind nerdism to see it, so you try to make excuses for Oculus and its totally dumb non-implementation of something that should be built into and run directly on the Rift by default at this point, as it does out the box on the likes of Gear VR and Oculus Go (as far as I'm aware), without even realising the basic truth of the situation--and that's the actual fact of it.
  • inceptionalinceptional Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2018
    Now that that is clear, on to the solution. There are multiple paid solutions like Virtual Desktop, but the best solution I could find is the DeoVR. It is able to play the video from youtube, facebook and other major platforms by fetching it and its possibly the best free solution out there.Simply install and open DeoVR copy the link from the browser (say from youtube or facebook), click on the DeoVR app and then hold ctrl+v to paste the video and load it. It should start playing right away.
    OK, so I finally understand that I can literally just ctrl+c the YouTube 360 video link using my keyboard when browsing on my PC and then use my keyboard again to ctrl+v it into the DeoVR app when running it inside my Rift--this is sooo not something I would have expected to work specifically this way (and it's very clunky and counter intuitive, and also different to how the guides I've seen online say to do it)--but the videos are still not displaying properly for me. One eye is showing the footage vertically and the other eye is showing it horizontally, so I'm not getting a stereoscopic image but rather two conflicting images trying to display on top of each other.

    Any YouTube 360 videos I try to play via this copy and paste method are all distorted, as I described above, and none of the various settings in DeoVR seem to get them to display properly.

    Any ideas how to fix that display issue?
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    I feel disgusted that you would take so much of your time to instead of helping a fellow VR enthusiast spend it criticizing and attacking him. You have said nothing useful whatsoever.

    And you're starting off even less useful. Way to go.
    The OP began with insults. Context is important. If you understood context, you would probably felt less disgusted.

    I have more than 4 years of experience with VR development and use, as that is what my job description entails.

    I'm not interested in your resume. I've been doing enterprise development for almost 20 years and I've incorporated both VR and AI in to my actual job; not just my "job description" lol


    And this problem is as annoying to me as it can be to any "non-techy" person. It's a matter of speed. Need to browse some videos online for showcase to customers or friends and it is impossible to browse and play those video at the same time without having to go through a lengthy process.

    While the process may not be speedy, it is far from lengthy. And if you're going to "showcase" something then you may want to learn how to: prepare in advance. Have you ever given a presentation before? I've given more than I can count, and preparation is key. Pro tip.

    As for the rest of your post, you didn't provide any new information. DeoVR and Opera were already covered in this thread back in October. This link was provided:

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-watch-360-degree-youtube-videos-oculus-rift


    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    I can't even be bothered with your completely and utterly assumptive, often misguided, and ignorant garbage right now
    Pot/kettle. You ranted and raved all over the forum back in October with phrases like, "pure tech-heads and geeks." The ignorant garbage is entirely on your side of the table.

    suffice to say that you are a moron of the highest order.
    If I were a moron then I'd be more like you... crying on the Internet because I couldn't figure out how to copy n paste; which took you 2 months to achieve apparently:
    "OK, so I finally understand that I can literally just ctrl+c the YouTube 360 video link using my keyboard when browsing on my PC"
    - moron of the highest order

    How the hell did you just now in December figure it out, when those instructions were stated multiple times in the link you were provided back in October?

    you're too stupid and stuck in your own little nerd bubble to realise that only nerds like you think like you:
    You have a strong hatred towards anyone who has an IQ above yours; and based on how long it takes you to solve 3rd grade level problems... that's a lot of hate for a lot of people lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • inceptionalinceptional Posts: 200
    Nexus 6
    edited December 2018
    Zenbane said:
    I feel disgusted that you would take so much of your time to instead of helping a fellow VR enthusiast spend it criticizing and attacking him. You have said nothing useful whatsoever.

    And you're starting off even less useful. Way to go.
    The OP began with insults. Context is important. If you understood context, you would probably felt less disgusted.

    I have more than 4 years of experience with VR development and use, as that is what my job description entails.

    I'm not interested in your resume. I've been doing enterprise development for almost 20 years and I've incorporated both VR and AI in to my actual job; not just my "job description" lol


    And this problem is as annoying to me as it can be to any "non-techy" person. It's a matter of speed. Need to browse some videos online for showcase to customers or friends and it is impossible to browse and play those video at the same time without having to go through a lengthy process.

    While the process may not be speedy, it is far from lengthy. And if you're going to "showcase" something then you may want to learn how to: prepare in advance. Have you ever given a presentation before? I've given more than I can count, and preparation is key. Pro tip.

    As for the rest of your post, you didn't provide any new information. DeoVR and Opera were already covered in this thread back in October. This link was provided:

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-watch-360-degree-youtube-videos-oculus-rift


    You are a moronic, stuck-in-your-thinking nerd.

    And the instructions for how to get DeoVR working in that link above are incorrect, and have been for a long time now. There isn't even a paste button in the latest official Rift version of the DeoVR app anymore, so the information you are providing is outdated and wrong for anyone that doesn't know how to do this stuff already, which defeats the point in them asking for help getting it to work entirely. I only just realised now because of the other guy's post above that you can literally ctrl+v the YouTube link you copied (using your keyboard) while also being directly inside the app on Rift, which is obviously clunky as f**k.

    And this goes exactly to the problem both the guy above and I have made clear: Playing 360 videos on Rift is a chore or comes at an unnecessary cost at best, and it's an utterly unnecessary and convoluted f**k of a mess at worst.

    But again, you're a total and utter nerd, so you can't even grasp the simple truth before you--you're too blinkered by your nerd goggles to see the real problem here.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    edited December 2018
    You are a moronic, stuck-in-your-thinking nerd.
    Yet it took you 2 months to learn how to Copy/Paste a URL even though you were given instructions on how to Copy/Paste a URL. Even if I were a moron (and a nerd?) then at least that could be cured with education. You, however, seem to suffer form idiocy. Which is embedded in ones DNA, and cannot be cured.

    The instructions to copy/paste are very clear:
    degree video on YouTube and copy the URL to your PC's clipboard.

    Before using DeoVR, use your web browser to find a 360-degree video on YouTube. Copy the URL to your clipboard

    And all you did was learn to do exactly that. And it took you 2 months. The ability to Copy/Paste a URL in to a VR app using the mouse/keyboard has been around since 2016. I am only stuck in my head in the sense that I can think outside the box. Your head, however, is stuck somewhere else entirely.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • wowarningwowarning Posts: 12
    NerveGear

    Everything inceptional has said in his posts is correct!! I haven't been doing enterprise work for 20 years, but I am the guy that people have called to fix their computer problems for the last 20 years, and I've been pulling my hair out trying to get VR YouTube videos to play. Instructions from people don't work because either the apps have changed, YouTube changed a codec, or the Oculus needs an update. Once you do get them to work the videos are split into four slices, or one points the wrong direction. I've gotten some to work, while others suffer the problems I just described. I completely agree that there should be a simple way to watch these. From what I have read the YouTube app in the Steam store is the right theory of what should exist, but is actually a pile of garbage with poor video quality. Why even bother if the video quality is poor? I can't wrap my head around that. I should probably do due diligence and verify this for myself, but it was coming from a number of people who seemed to know what they were talking about.

    In my opinion they are dragging their feet on the development side. Possibly there are complications with licensing and such, but the technology is years old at this point and a simple and elegant solution should already exist. I'm no stranger to using weird apps and jumping through hoops to accomplish something - I'm one of the 35 people that bought the Blackberry Tablet when it came out because it was a better piece of hardware even though the software side required some 'creative computing' to accomplish anything. With that situation at least once you knew what to do, it worked, and it didn't stop working. 

    Zenbane - I'm not going to name call or get aggro, but I will respectfully say that I disagreed with almost everything you said as I read through this post, and found no actual help in any of your answers. I don't really think him referring to 'tech-heads' and 'geeks' in the original post amounts to 'name calling'. He was saying it in a light-hearted way, and most of the tech-heads and geeks I know (including myself to the degree I am) are the first people to call themselves that. You got pretty aggressive on him pretty fast. If this is simple for you, share your solution so that he and others that land on this post looking for answers can copy what you do. Then you wind up being the answer guy for all these people - I would have been one of them. 

    My personal question for the group is regarding the downloaded YouTube files that I can get to play in DeoVR, but are broken into four slices that do not combine properly, and others that have the left and right videos perpendicular to each other. What is the way to fix this? If I can figure this out, at least I will have a way to accomplish what I want to, and however stupid I think it is that I have to go through all this stuff, I won't really care because I can get what I want out of the hardware. Thanks in advance if somebody can guide me. There's definitely a learning curve to VR!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    edited January 5
    wowarning said:
    Everything inceptional has said in his posts is correct!!
    Nope, it's not. I've been watching 360 Videos on my Rift since 2016, and even reviewed some, like this one in October 2016:

    I am the guy that people have called to fix their computer problems for the last 20 years, and I've been pulling my hair out trying to get VR YouTube videos to play.

    I still don't get why people bring up their real life resumes in these types of discussions. So when people called you for computer problems for the last 20 years, were they asking you to play YouTube videos in the Rift? Clearly not, so what does it matter? And who uses the phrase "computer problems" in the year 2019? That's like someone calling themselves a Webmaster. These phrases are obsolete. Computing and web technology have evolved quite a bit.

    I was able to figure out how to Copy/Paste a YouTube 360 Video URL back in 2016. No hair was pulled in the process, just a google search:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+watch+youtube+360+on+oculus+rift

    The search results illustrate how to achieve all of this not just in 2016, but present day as well.

    In my opinion they are dragging their feet on the development side. Possibly there are complications with licensing and such, but the technology is years old at this point and a simple and elegant solution should already exist.

    Yep, Youtube has released their own App to make things easier. I downloaded it and it works.


    Zenbane - I'm not going to name call or get aggro, but I will respectfully say that I disagreed with almost everything you said as I read through this post, and found no actual help in any of your answers.

    This argument has been presented several times in this thread, and the response is the same: The OP was provided legitimate help and he rejected all of it.

    I will also add that you have added nothing new to the discussion and have only served to take the conversation back to the beginning.


    I don't really think him referring to 'tech-heads' and 'geeks' in the original post amounts to 'name calling'. He was saying it in a light-hearted way,
    Wrong. Namecalling is namecalling, and the OP didn't just perform the namecalling in this thread. At the time of creating this thread, the OP created other new threads and posted in existing threads... angrily using phrases like "geeks" and "nerds." There was nothing lighthearted about it to anyone that understands the concepts of "namecalling" and "lighthearted."


    You got pretty aggressive on him pretty fast.

    Incorrect. I simply met his level of aggression after he began his namecalling tirade in several threads.


    If this is simple for you, share your solution so that he and others that land on this post looking for answers can copy what you do.

    Solutions have been provided. Re-read the thread.

    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • wowarningwowarning Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    OK, so I finally understand that I can literally just ctrl+c the YouTube 360 video link using my keyboard when browsing on my PC and then use my keyboard again to ctrl+v it into the DeoVR app when running it inside my Rift--this is sooo not something I would have expected to work specifically this way (and it's very clunky and counter intuitive, and also different to how the guides I've seen online say to do it)--but the videos are still not displaying properly for me. One eye is showing the footage vertically and the other eye is showing it horizontally, so I'm not getting a stereoscopic image but rather two conflicting images trying to display on top of each other.

    Any YouTube 360 videos I try to play via this copy and paste method are all distorted, as I described above, and none of the various settings in DeoVR seem to get them to display properly.

    Any ideas how to fix that display issue?
    This post helped me realize that the disappearance of the clip board from the program has a workaround, albeit one that requires you to at the very least lift up your visor and interact with the keyboard - seriously, wft? However, I suffer the same problems as you which are the same problems I have when I try to play the downloaded files. I'm going to keep looking, so if I get it figured out, I'll post back here. 
  • wowarningwowarning Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    wowarning said:
    Everything inceptional has said in his posts is correct!!
    Nope, it's not. I've been watching 360 Videos on my Rift since 2016, and even reviewed some, like this one in October 2016:
    I am the guy that people have called to fix their computer problems for the last 20 years, and I've been pulling my hair out trying to get VR YouTube videos to play.

    I still don't get why people bring up their real life resumes in these types of discussions. So when people called you for computer problems for the last 20 years, were they asking you to play YouTube videos in the Rift? Clearly not, so what does it matter? And who uses the phrase "computer problems" in the year 2019? That's like someone calling themselves a Webmaster. These phrases are obsolete. Computing and web technology have evolved quite a bit.

    I was able to figure out how to Copy/Paste a YouTube 360 Video URL back in 2016. No hair was pulled in the process, just a google search:
    https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+watch+youtube+360+on+oculus+rift

    The search results illustrate how to achieve all of this not just in 2016, but present day as well.

    In my opinion they are dragging their feet on the development side. Possibly there are complications with licensing and such, but the technology is years old at this point and a simple and elegant solution should already exist.

    Yep, Youtube has released their own App to make things easier. I downloaded it and it works.


    Zenbane - I'm not going to name call or get aggro, but I will respectfully say that I disagreed with almost everything you said as I read through this post, and found no actual help in any of your answers.

    This argument has been presented several times in this thread, and the response is the same: The OP was provided legitimate help and he rejected all of it.

    I will also add that you have added nothing new to the discussion and have only served to take the conversation back to the beginning.


    I don't really think him referring to 'tech-heads' and 'geeks' in the original post amounts to 'name calling'. He was saying it in a light-hearted way,
    Wrong. Namecalling is namecalling, and the OP didn't just perform the namecalling in this thread. At the time of creating this thread, the OP created other new threads and posted in existing threads... angrily using phrases like "geeks" and "nerds." There was nothing lighthearted about it to anyone that understands the concepts of "namecalling" and "lighthearted."


    You got pretty aggressive on him pretty fast.

    Incorrect. I simply met his level of aggression after he began his namecalling tirade in several threads.


    If this is simple for you, share your solution so that he and others that land on this post looking for answers can copy what you do.

    Solutions have been provided. Re-read the thread.

    Lmfao - you are so aggressive. I'll be honest, I don't care. I just want to figure out a solution, and since you're obviously smarter than everybody else (because you shared your resume that you feel is irrelevant for everyone who isn't you) I'm gonna bug you until we get me where I want to be. I have followed every suggestion and they do not work on my machine. Maybe there is something particular about my setup that differs from yours, but it would be helpful to figure out what that is to work my way to a solution. I tried Opera Developer Kit today - the "watch in VR" link that supposed to be on the screen that you can click on is not there - so that one doesn't work (for me anyway). I explained in detail the issues I've had with the other methods. You just keep saying that it works and we're wrong. We're not wrong. EXACTLY what do you do to get a youtube VR video to play - not last week, not six months ago - today, right now. If you open up a VR video how do you do it and does it actually play properly? I will copy your method if it differs from any of the ones I've tried. Please don't say that you won't be adding anything that hasn't been said, because I've already tried everything that's been said. If yours works, it is obviously different in some manner. 
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    wowarning said:
    Lmfao - you are so aggressive.
    Nah, you did try to call me out and I responded. Or to put it another way: You dropped some bait and I took it. My response is certainly no more or less aggressive than your attempt to call me out. Regardless, I'm sure we can both discuss this without being aggressive.

    since you're obviously smarter than everybody else

    That's a very passive-aggressive comment. But that aside, there is no reason to believe that I'm trying to come across smarter than everyone else since I made it very clear that I was only able to figure out how to achieve 360 videos on my Rift by doing "research." If I were smarter than everybody else... then I would have figured it out on my own without the need for research, right? Think about it for a second.


    because you shared your resume that you feel is irrelevant for everyone who isn't you

    I only responded to the OP's sharing of his resume by citing my own experience. There's context that you intentionally exclude here.


    You just keep saying that it works and we're wrong. We're not wrong. EXACTLY what do you do to get a youtube VR video to play 


    If you follow Step 1 from the URL that was provided very early in this thread (last October), then you can accomplish this task quite easily:

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-watch-360-degree-youtube-videos-oculus-rift

    I just installed this App (as shown in Step 1 of that Link):

    https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=youtube+vr

    I loaded the App, and watched both a 2D and VR video on my Rift. These are the screenshots I just took from my PC:



    The fact that this has been an ongoing problem for people even though the Solution is so simplistic is quite astonishing.

    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • wowarningwowarning Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    wowarning said:
    Lmfao - you are so aggressive.
    Nah, you did try to call me out and I responded. Or to put it another way: You dropped some bait and I took it. My response is certainly no more or less aggressive than your attempt to call me out. Regardless, I'm sure we can both discuss this without being aggressive.

    since you're obviously smarter than everybody else

    That's a very passive-aggressive comment. But that aside, there is no reason to believe that I'm trying to come across smarter than everyone else since I made it very clear that I was only able to figure out how to achieve 360 videos on my Rift by doing "research." If I were smarter than everybody else... then I would have figured it out on my own without the need for research, right? Think about it for a second.


    because you shared your resume that you feel is irrelevant for everyone who isn't you

    I only responded to the OP's sharing of his resume by citing my own experience. There's context that you intentionally exclude here.


    You just keep saying that it works and we're wrong. We're not wrong. EXACTLY what do you do to get a youtube VR video to play 


    If you follow Step 1 from the URL that was provided very early in this thread (last October), then you can accomplish this task quite easily:

    https://www.windowscentral.com/how-watch-360-degree-youtube-videos-oculus-rift

    I just installed this App (as shown in Step 1 of that Link):

    https://store.steampowered.com/search/?term=youtube+vr

    I loaded the App, and watched both a 2D and VR video on my Rift. These are the screenshots I just took from my PC:



    The fact that this has been an ongoing problem for people even though the Solution is so simplistic is quite astonishing.

    Lol, you've been leaving out context every time you touch the keyboard. You're a troll and a fairly good one at that, so credit where it's due. You had to install an app today to watch a video, proving you had no idea what you were talking about. You assumed that the information on web pages you pointed people to was actually useful, however, it wasn't.  Regarding your Steam solution, you seem to have overlooked that I already discussed that. There are a ton of complaints about the quality of the video, so I was trying to find a solution that wasn't going to cause it's own problem. I even discussed that I would probably try it anyway to confirm what is generally said about it. I had little doubt that the app would work. Sending me screenshots of it doesn't move this conversation forward, and you seem to be quite enamored with that. The link at Windows Central (from May 2nd) you refer me to is one I had checked out before ever coming to this thread, because I, like you, have been gifted by the gods with the ability to 'research on the internet'. (That's sarcasm by the way, not passive agression).
     They offer four solutions.
    1) YouTube VR app on Steam - 4 of the last 5 reviews on Steam are negative. One guy says they cap the resolution at 1080, and they all say the video is shaky. Thanks, but no thanks. You got it to work, but it sucks. Whoopie. It's astonishing that such a simplistic idea as being able to watch at high resolution with stability is not a requirement for some people. (See what I did there?)
    2) Virtual Desktop - I guess if I can't figure any other way, and have to dump $14 and wind up with a whole software suite I don't want, I could go this route. Even then I would be hoping that it doesn't play videos sideways once I forked over the money since I don't really know if works either.
    3) Opera - it doesn't work as they say. Something has changed and the link to watch in VR is gone (at least on my installation of Opera Dev on my machine.) I also previously mentioned this, which you also must have overlooked.
    4) DeoVR - I explained in previous posts how and why this doesn't work properly. If you didn't read them before, scroll back now and take a look.

    So - since I now know that you don't actually watch these videos, and just troll people that would like to, I will issue a very specific challenge to avoid unhelpful data.
    Can you test and confirm, first-hand, (not just read about on somebody else's old web page) a method that:
    - is free (bye bye Virtual Desktop)
    - allows steady, unshaky playback (bye bye YouTube VR)
    - has playback at 4k (supposedly bye bye YouTube VR - I have not confirmed)
    - doesn't flip one channel or split it into four stripes (bye bye DeoVR and 4K Video Downloader combo. This is the one that I feel there must be a way to fix and offers the most promise. I had two videos that played okay this way and four that did not. I think there's one missing step that I can't figure out. I have updated all my video codecs thinking that might have been it, but no luck.)
    -I don't even care if it can stream or not. Streaming would be a bonus, but if I have to hoop jump, I'll do it.

    If you can do it, you will be my hero, regardless of how abrasive I find you. I have other friends that are abrasive too, lol, and don't pretend to be shocked or offended that I said that. We're both being dicks to each other, and I'm totally okay with that. I'm quite sure there is a way to do it, but the methods you offer as simplistic are ineffectual and useless (and therefore, obviously not so simplistic.) You state that you've already figured it out with your fancy pants research, so let's have it. Stick it in my face and show me how stupid I am - literally nothing would make me happier.

    If I figure it out first, you will have to deal with me being better at this than you, lmao. 

    If you decline, you obviously relinquish the right to comment about how easy it is to do since you can't do it yourself. Nobody will take you seriously.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    edited January 5
    wowarning said:
    Lol, you've been leaving out context every time you touch the keyboard.
    Not even remotely true. And I already proved how to watch YouTube videos on the Rift, yet you still show up to write a wall of text full of complaints.
    :D

    You're a troll and a fairly good one at that, so credit where it's due.

    Pot/kettle. You have been trolling since your first post in this thread.


    You had to install an app today to watch a video, proving you had no idea what you were talking about.

    Wrong again. I have been watching YouTube videos on my Rift since 2016 using Virtual Desktop. After the release of GO, I bought it and used the YouTube application there since the lenses on GO are better suited for VR Film than the Rift. Today, I decided to follow the instructions from the helpful post provided back in October to illustrate how both you and the OP are incapable of achieving something so simple. And it seems that now you are just upset that you were shown incapable of following simple instructions.


    Regarding your Steam solution, you seem to have overlooked that I already discussed that. There are a ton of complaints about the quality of the video

    This thread was not created to discuss video quality. Re-read the thread and try again. You came in to cheerlead the OP who was complaining about the ease of watching YouTube vidoes. Now you are whining about video quality because you were proven wrong. LOL


    since I now know that you don't actually watch these videos, and just troll people that would like to,

    Of course I watch the videos, I've posted about plenty of 360 videos on this forum. I've even built 360 media applications using WebVR. Not to mention that I just posted screenshots of me watching the YouTube VR video on my Rift today. You have no idea what you're talking about.


    I will issue a very specific challenge to avoid unhelpful data.

    I already met one challenge, and now you're moving the goal post. You didn't even acknowledge that I met your first challenge, and came up with all sorts of false accusations.

    I have a better idea: Every week I will post a screenshot of my favorite 360 YouTube video on this forum.  And then you can respond by whining about how I must be trolling. I like that challenge!

    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • wowarningwowarning Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    wowarning said:
    Lol, you've been leaving out context every time you touch the keyboard.
    Not even remotely true. And I already proved how to watch YouTube videos on the Rift, yet you still show up to write a wall of text full of complaints.
    :D

    You're a troll and a fairly good one at that, so credit where it's due.

    Pot/kettle. You have been trolling since your first post in this thread.


    You had to install an app today to watch a video, proving you had no idea what you were talking about.

    Wrong again. I have been watching YouTube videos on my Rift since 2016 using Virtual Desktop. After the release of GO, I bought it and used the YouTube application there since the lenses on GO are better suited for VR Film than the Rift. Today, I decided to follow the instructions from the helpful post provided back in October to illustrate how both you and the OP are incapable of achieving something so simple. And it seems that now you are just upset that you were shown incapable of following simple instructions.


    Regarding your Steam solution, you seem to have overlooked that I already discussed that. There are a ton of complaints about the quality of the video

    This thread was not created to discuss video quality. Re-read the thread and try again. You came in to cheerlead the OP who was complaining about the ease of watching YouTube vidoes. Now you are whining about video quality because you were proven wrong. LOL


    since I now know that you don't actually watch these videos, and just troll people that would like to,

    Of course I watch the videos, I've posted about plenty of 360 videos on this forum. I've even built 360 media applications using WebVR. Not to mention that I just posted screenshots of me watching the YouTube VR video on my Rift today. You have no idea what you're talking about.


    I will issue a very specific challenge to avoid unhelpful data.

    I already met one challenge, and now you're moving the goal post. You didn't even acknowledge that I met your first challenge, and came up with all sorts of false accusations.

    I have a better idea: Every week I will post a screenshot of my favorite 360 YouTube video on this forum.  And then you can respond by whining about how I must be trolling. I like that challenge!

    This is exactly as annoying and disappointing as I expected. Okay, so your stance is that it doesn't matter if you can watch the videos in 4k or if they're shaky, it was just a proof of concept thing for you that it can be done? Well no shit. I already had shitty video. The goalpost went nowhere my friend, you just came up 80 yards short. The criteria I listed were the criteria from the start. I didn't think any grownup would expect less. Please feel free to post your shitty 1080p screenshots of you patting yourself on the back in your underwear all day long - I'm sure your 15 year old friends will be amazed at how cool you are. Funny that the thing I want to accomplish is so simple, yet you can't do it. I'm not impressed with what you were able to do on a different machine in a different year. It's quite irrelevant. Arrogance is better tolerated when it's justified. However, I am super impressed with your "I know you are, but what am I?" defense. I taught my kid to never use that one when she was 5 years old because it would make her look ridiculous. I appreciate your reiteration. You obviously have no idea how to fix the problem, so hit the bricks. I wish I could say thanks for anything, but you may be the least helpful person I've ever encountered in my many years of participating in forums. I know the idea of not responding would kill you, so you undoubtedly will, cuz that's what trolls do - but please, and I really really mean please - please take this opportunity to prove me wrong, that you're not a troll, and just disappear. Then again, if you think I'm trolling, you obviously don't even know what it means. I came here to ask for help. You came here to be a dick. That's what a troll does. 
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 302
    Trinity
    Ill try it later and see how it goes.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    wowarning said:
    This is exactly as annoying and disappointing as I expected.
    Your replies are as cliche as I expected. This conversation was never about quality and always about ease-of-use. You only turned the conversation in to a quality issue after I proved your ease-of-use crisis to be faulty.

    Okay, so your stance is that it doesn't matter if you can watch the videos in 4k or if they're shaky

    These are factors you are inventing.


    The criteria I listed were the criteria from the start. I didn't think any grownup would expect less.
    Are you the OP in another account? Did you create this new account in order to bump your thread and pretend that you have support for your cause? lol

    If you're not the OP hiding under another account, then you are not the one who set the criteria from the start. I'll show you the criteria from the start:

    You came in praising the OP saying he was right. And the OP was always talking about executing the function, not quality. You fail.

    You came here to be a dick. That's what a troll does. 

    More pot/kettle rhetoric. Although I do like how you are getting overly emotional after I proved you wrong.


    Please feel free to post your shitty 1080p screenshots of you patting yourself on the back in your underwear all day long


    It doesn't surprise me one bit that you are now imagining me in my underwear, considering how obsessed you became with me starting from your very first post. Rest assured that I have no interest in you in that regard, but don't let that stop you from describing it in more detail lol

    My screenshots proved you wrong, but if you think rage-typing is going to help you save face then have at it.
    <3
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • wowarningwowarning Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Zenbane said:
    wowarning said:
    This is exactly as annoying and disappointing as I expected.
    Your replies are as cliche as I expected. This conversation was never about quality and always about ease-of-use. You only turned the conversation in to a quality issue after I proved your ease-of-use crisis to be faulty.

    Okay, so your stance is that it doesn't matter if you can watch the videos in 4k or if they're shaky

    These are factors you are inventing.


    The criteria I listed were the criteria from the start. I didn't think any grownup would expect less.
    Are you the OP in another account? Did you create this new account in order to bump your thread and pretend that you have support for your cause? lol

    If you're not the OP hiding under another account, then you are not the one who set the criteria from the start. I'll show you the criteria from the start:

    You came in praising the OP saying he was right. And the OP was always talking about executing the function, not quality. You fail.

    You came here to be a dick. That's what a troll does. 

    More pot/kettle rhetoric. Although I do like how you are getting overly emotional after I proved you wrong.


    Please feel free to post your shitty 1080p screenshots of you patting yourself on the back in your underwear all day long


    It doesn't surprise me one bit that you are now imagining me in my underwear, considering how obsessed you became with me starting from your very first post. Rest assured that I have no interest in you in that regard, but don't let that stop you from describing it in more detail lol

    My screenshots proved you wrong, but if you think rage-typing is going to help you save face then have at it.
    <3
    Waaaaaah, I know you are but what am I? Classic troll lines in there ("getting overly emotional" - hahahahahaaaaaaaaaaa!!!!!) I'm not biting this time buddy, I've got shit to do. Cheers.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,909 Valuable Player
    wowarning said:
    Waaaaaah

    Ah yes, finally a moment of honesty on your part ;)
    Yes, this thread has been a lot of waaaaah by you and the OP.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • Mr_NaturalMr_Natural Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    I was able to fix the screen being the wrong way in DeoVR on videos by messing with the super not intuitive settings. Somewhere in there there is a couple buttons that look like split squares, and the last one you would expect corrects the screen. 

    I abandoned a 30 minute google "research" effort and did this on my own.

    Resume: Someone who doesn't usually need 30 minutes on google searches.

    /thread
«13
Sign In or Register to comment.