Do you use SuperSampling to "improve your experience" — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Do you use SuperSampling to "improve your experience"

kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
Wintermute
have seen a fair few people over the last 6 months or so have issues with performance, and complain about Home, stuttering, performance, and so one, and a lot of them say things similar to:

I used to be able to run Supersampling at 1.6 and now my Rift stutters.

so, here's a question for everyone - do you use it? if you do, are you experiencing performance issues?

I'm assuming everyone has the minimum specification to run the Rift, and isn't doing things like running a Rift on an 870 or something equally stupid, like 2GB of RAM.

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Do you use SuperSampling to "improve your experience" 41 votes

Yes I use it, and my performance sucks
2%
Misiekza 1 vote
Yes I use it, and my performance is fine
46%
RedRizlaYoLolo69snowdogMowTinDark360dburneyansagdieterdiskoRuneSR2BlahdeNetheriTaintFistPlexar1EkonFrostM-CaponeadriantugadeDextirchoronoskhoraLexingtonB44 19 votes
No I don't and my performance still sucks
2%
lindahao 1 vote
No I don't and my Rift is the awesome
36%
cyberealitybigmike20vtnalex66andrewtekkzintziSneakyglowormLZoltowskiZenbanefalken76dershDigikid1sford52Manch_DezhraXusNorris69 15 votes
I like participating in Polls, but I don't actually care about results, it's the whinging that counts
2%
Tastytoaster 1 vote
why are we on this traffic island?
9%
RattyUKAcer26misterandrsonDuskmuffin 4 votes

Comments

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    Nvidia 1070
    8GB RAM
    Skylake processor.
    no SuperSampling

works 100% fine for me unless my Nvidia driver is out of date.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    Never used supersampling, never needed to.

I have had the rift for 2 years, always up to date with Nvidia drivers, been in Home 2.0 beta for a year, not a single issue, EVER. I never try and deviate from default recommendations/parameters the software recommends. A lot smarter people with actual PHD's working on this than me.

Also you sir get an extra large cookie for the humorous alternative answers.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Wintermute
    :smiley:

thanks.

and yeah, I don't deviate from the recommended specs either - I am responsible for waaaaaaay too much tech to be a fan of that sort of thing.. I've never even overclocked a CPU :smile:

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    @LZoltowski Agreed. I trust that game developers probably know better how to optimize their game than I do, and if the render scale is small, it's probably for a reason. That said, I have tested SS just to see, and it definitely does have an improvement in picture quality. That's not a question, but I see people setting it to ludicrous numbers like 2.0, not realizing they are basically rendering at 5K and may not have the horse-power for that kind of resolution.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Wintermute
    lol - I wish I had a PC that could render 5k twice at 90fps!! if I had that I would totally back the Pimax!!!

:tongue:

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,450 Volunteer Moderator
    Remember, the default pixel density of 1 used by most stuff if you don't override it is already super sampling (native resolution with no super sampling is when you drop it down to around 0.8), so most people on here are super sampling without knowing it.

but I see people setting it to ludicrous numbers like 2.0, not realizing they are basically rendering at 5K
    Higher pixel count than a certain other headset's 8K X model. :)

• sford52sford52 Posts: 158
    Art3mis
    No, I don't but it's because I'm still new to Rift, so I think I'll have to check it out!

Wait, I mean, Oh no, something else that will screw up my rift??!!  (because we need a little whinging)

ASUS ROG Strix GL702VS-AH73 17.3" Laptop.  I7-7700HQ, GTX1070, 12 GB DDR4 RAM, 500 EVO 970 GB SSD, VS 2017, Oculus rift, Windows 10 home
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,450 Volunteer Moderator
    I use pixel density 1.5 in Elite Dangerous.
    But I never use it for anything else. For me the marginal increase in quality in most titles isn't worth the performance hit. Elite benefits a little, and I play it for hours at a time.
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 2,025 Valuable Player
    I am trying to not laugh at the title.....really I am.

Think about it...... :D
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    1.5 from OTT or ingames,  for all apps & games, as it's the sweet spot for my eyes to be Rift friendly. More and I don't catch any upgrade, less and it's all fuzzy for me, probably a combination between my eyes, my glasses and lenses. So I adjust games setting to have a smooth experience with SS 1.5 (I7 3770K OC 4,4Ghz, GTX1080 OC 10% 16GB ram).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,984 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    i voted no.....(I dont *manually* supersample)  but to be fair i only had a gtx 980.. now i have a 1080ti so that may change very soon!.

but that said... what pleb would supersample and THEN moan about performance.
    step 1 before complaining about performance should surely remove all supersampling??
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,054 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    I'm using ss 2.0 in most games and apps - about 50 % of my games and apps work perfectly in 90 fps and the image quality is simply awesome, but in the remaining games 45 fps asw will kick in. In some games I use Oculus tray Tool (OTT) profiles to lower ss to for example 1.0 (Seeking Dawn), 1.5 (Hellblade) or 1.8 (Windlands). 

The difference between between ss 1.7 and 2.0 may not be easy to see - you'll have to know what to look for. And then there's the image quality vs. frame rate. I'd say the difference between 1.7 and 2.0 is much like the difference between anisotrophic filtering 8x vs x16 or MSAA 2x vs 4x. 

But do try a game like Bend the Light in ss 2.0. It'll probably work on most GTX 1070+ cards in 90 fps. And be aware that some devs may not have checked their apps running high levels of ss. In many games though, including Lone Echo, you can easily set super sampling to 2.0 - it's called resolution or pixel density instead of super sampling in some games. High levels of ss results in nice anti-aliasling too, thus when using high levels of ss it may be an unnecessary burden to activate other kinds of antialiasing.  

I'm so used to super sampling that I'd probably never spend time using any game or app forcing me to use super-blurry ss 1.0. Seeking Dawn is the one game where I'm settling for 45 fps ss 1.2 - but that game has the most awesome textures to compensate. 

But be careful with ss - if you get used to high levels of ss, you can't go back ;-) But then I've heard you can get help from the Nvidia doctors, although their RTX injection medication isn't cheap  ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,560 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Why would anyone not want to use SS, if you can get 90 fps at 1.5 SS? The difference is night and day with some games set at 1.5 instead of the default 1.0..
  • NetheriNetheri Posts: 216
    Nexus 6
    Using 1.8 ss. Especially if not used on Home2, it's like walking on fog. At least with current setup there haven't been nothing wrong with the performance in the games pre-1.31. Haven't tried anything but the Home 2, SteamVR and YoutubeVR on on it since 1.31. For a reason. ;)
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash in memoriam
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,379 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Is there a difference between walking on fog, walking on air, and walking on clouds? This needs to get sorted.

Anywho,

RedRizla said:
    Why would anyone not want to use SS, if you can get 90 fps at 1.5 SS? The difference is night and day with some games set at 1.5 instead of the default 1.0..

I honestly don't even check my FPS anymore. Unless there is a noticeable drop which can be recognized visually, I honestly just don't care (nor notice). I used to care about FPS back in the early 2000's when I was dedicated to Multiplayer PvP with games like Battlefield 1942 and Dark Age of Camelot. Over time I just got lazier, and truth be told... I saw no difference in my win/loss ratio the moment I stopped managing performance. I just make sure that my PC is a few levels above the minimum requirements and my software settings are sensible; everything seems to flow splendidly.

Come box me in Creed and I'll show you what SS is doing for ya, baby!
    <3
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited October 2018
    RedRizla said:
    Exactly, if you can get solid 90 fps using ss 2.0, why wouldn't you use it? Why not enjoy the best image quality you can get, especially when it's free? 
    By error I did launch Along Together ss 2.6 and I don't think I could see any difference between 2.0 and 2.6. But I can see difference between 1.8 and 2.0, although it's not a lot. 

These games and apps should work great (=solid 90 fps) using ss 2.0 and a GTX 1080 or better (my 1080 is heavily oc'ed, but still - these are just some that I've checked thoroughly - but there're 1000+ apps/games in the store, I've probably checked about 100-150):

Games:
    Beat Saber
    Racket: Nx 
    Transference
    Moss
    Blaze Rush
    Space Pirate Trainer 
    Witchblood 
    The Invisible Hours
    Kin 
    Thumper
    Windlands 2
    Bend the Light 
    Mage's Tale
    Rez Infinite
    EVE: Valkyrie - Warzone
    Killing Floor: Incursion
    The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
    Merry Snowballs
    Along Together
    Proton Pulse
    Luna
    Ocean Rift
    Anshar 2

Apps:
    BoxVR (is it a game!? ;-)
    First Contact  
    Dear Angelica
    Wonderful You
    1943 Berlin Blitz
    Oculus Dreamdeck
    Henry
    Allumette
    The Great C
    Apollo 11
    The Blu
    Classic Home (Core 1.0)
    Home 2.0 - low preset (Core 2.0)

Normally I'd choose ss 2.0 45 fps asw over 90 fps, but of course preferences differ between persons - and between games/apps. Often 45 asw is working so great that I don't mind it (=Seeking Dawn, Lone Echo). 

Right now I'm greatly enjoying playing Sacralith with maxed in-game settings and ss 2.0 - it looks awesome - the game either runs at 90 fps or 45 fps asw - I don't notice 45 fps asw when the action is on. High levels of ss bring a lot more depth to the image, better textures and great antialiasing. I can still remember going from ss 1.0 to 2.0 in Edge of Nowhere - it was the difference between being able to clearly read the text in documents or not ;-) Actually I think Edge of Nowhere runs in 90 fps ss 2.0 too, but I haven't played it for long, so it's not on the above list. 

ss 1.0 vs. ss 1.8 - 2.0 is similar to this effect:

Do check the grass in Ethan Carter ;-)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• falken76falken76 Posts: 2,854 Valuable Player
    I've tried it out.  I don't like it because it feels like a terribly inefficient way to add anti aliasing, but it's like increasing the density of a mesh in 3dsmax where it's just replicating iterations of itself and increasing the density of the mesh by HUGE amounts.  That's why some games turn into a flip book on me when I turn it on.  I grew up on this stuff when we swtiched from software rendering to 3d accelerated cards so I'm good.  You have no idea  lol  :wink:

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,984 Valuable Player
    just for the record what is the easiest way to flick bwetween super sampling? do i need to download oculus try tool?

some games have the option in game, i take it then i just turn it off in game but leave it on in the try tool?
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited October 2018
    just for the record what is the easiest way to flick bwetween super sampling? do i need to download oculus try tool?

some games have the option in game, i take it then i just turn it off in game but leave it on in the try tool?

I use Oculus Tray Tool (OTT) and normally don't alter in-game settings. Typically OTT overrides everything. 

If you just want to test let's say ss 1.5 in some games, just set global ss to 1.5 in OTT and it should work. Or start with ss 2.0 - then there's no doubt if it's working or not ;-)

I use OTT global 2.0 and make profiles for games/apps where I want lower ss. Works like a charm ;-) If profiles aren't applied change detection method from WMI to Timer (voice confirmation is not always correct).

When in doubt - activate OTT HUD for Pixel Density - than you can easily see the ss applied.  

• NetheriNetheri Posts: 216
    Nexus 6
    OTT is great, however atm if you use global SS it doesn't hook on to Home2, making own profile for it works though.
    i5-8600K@5GHz, Gigabyte 2080 Gaming OC, Corsair 32gb 3000MHz@3100MHz DDR4, ROG Strix Z370 H Gaming, 2 x Inateck 4 port USB 3.0 cards.
    Non-mandatory Home 2.0 and/or Dash in memoriam
  • SneakyglowormSneakygloworm Posts: 90
    Hiro Protagonist
    I found that apart from lowering performance in ED, it looked arse as well. ED looks and performs best without filtering. Maybe a tiny bit of aa. Then every graphic option as close to max as possible. 
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,111
    Wintermute
    My advice is if a game have the SS option, use its option in priority So if you're using OTT (mine is launched everytime I want to wear my headset) just don't put anything on SS field for its profile (you can alter other settings if you want). That's also what recommend the OTT creator AFAIK.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,560 Valuable Player
    Zenbane said:
    Is there a difference between walking on fog, walking on air, and walking on clouds? This needs to get sorted.

Anywho,

RedRizla said:

I honestly don't even check my FPS anymore. Unless there is a noticeable drop which can be recognized visually, I honestly just don't care (nor notice). I used to care about FPS back in the early 2000's when I was dedicated to Multiplayer PvP with games like Battlefield 1942 and Dark Age of Camelot. Over time I just got lazier, and truth be told... I saw no difference in my win/loss ratio the moment I stopped managing performance. I just make sure that my PC is a few levels above the minimum requirements and my software settings are sensible; everything seems to flow splendidly.

Come box me in Creed and I'll show you what SS is doing for ya, baby!
    <3

I was meaning how better SS can make a game look. I use ASW sometimes and fps don't bother me either. I'll get round to boxing your lugs in Creed, but I played today and need some practice. In-fact I need a lots of practice :D
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,688 Volunteer Moderator
    I play with the settings offered in-game to get the prettiest visuals, but I can't be bothered with third-party tools like OTT to tweak it further.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • MowTinMowTin Posts: 1,606
    Project 2501
    Adding supersampling improves the visual quality. Like any PC game you try to get the best visual quality while maintaining good performance. 

With my 1080ti I would apply 1.3 ss in most games. Now with the 2080 ti, I can usually get away with 1.7 and with Robo Recall and Marvel United, I can get 2.0. 

ss makes a big difference in clarity. It reduces blurriness. But I think you need a 1080 ti or better to apply it without losing too much performance. 
    i7 6700k 2080ti   Rift-S, Index
  • TaintFistTaintFist Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    I usually try it with each game, some show a better difference than others.  It's certainly not a must-use kind of thing, but some games really benefit visually from it, so if the gpu can take it, I use it.

edited October 2018
    MowTin said:

ss makes a big difference in clarity. It reduces blurriness. But I think you need a 1080 ti or better to apply it without losing too much performance. 

But it'll depend entirely on the game or app. In Blaze Rush I get something like 90 fps + 70% headroom even when forcing ss 2.0 - in that specific game maybe even GTX 1060 owners can activate ss 1.8 - 2.0 and get 90 fps (maybe). Bend the Light is probably the same - and other light-weight games like Along Together, Anshar Wars 2, Thumper etc. 
    Advanced games like Lone Echo (and several racing sims) definitely will need a 2080 Ti to get 90 fps using ss 2.0. Actually I do got solid 90 fps in Lone Echo ss 1.5, but ss 2.0 looks much sharper in that game (provides more 3D depth before the blur sets in) - and asw works nicely ;-)  

SS makes the most impressive change in visual clarity, it's really second to none - waiting for the CV2, high levels of ss is the CV1's lifesaver. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,989 Valuable Player
    MowTin said:
    Adding supersampling improves the visual quality. Like any PC game you try to get the best visual quality while maintaining good performance. 

With my 1080ti I would apply 1.3 ss in most games. Now with the 2080 ti, I can usually get away with 1.7 and with Robo Recall and Marvel United, I can get 2.0. 

I tend to get by on 1.5 using my 1080 but I've overclocked it to 2050MHz. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 894
    3Jane
    edited October 2018
    why are we on this traffic island?
    For the majority of games I don't bother with SS - ED gets 1.3 just to improve text a little...

I understand others wanting the best quality display thay can get in their headset and SS does improve things, but if I want things pin sharp I wouldn't be using any of the current generation of VR headsets as it isn't going to happen, maybe in a few years...

Not a complaint - I think the Rift is amazing just as it is and that subsequent generations will improve the experience way beyond todays, but today I really am very happy to jump into VR and enjoy every minute.

As I have mentioned before, I have no idea of my FPS or if ASW is cutting in, and to be honest I don't really care, if the games are playable without making me feel uncomfortable in any way then all is fine, the device is doing exactly what I bought it for B)

ETA: I apologise if my attitude is overall positive, I have an annoying tendancy to enjoy whatever I have...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, KFA2 RTX 2080 Super, Samsung 870 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Antec Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15.1 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD)