New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Sixense are refunding all Kickstarter backers

kojackkojack Posts: 5,624 Volunteer Moderator
edited October 2018 in General
From their kickstarter page:

After careful deliberation, we have decided to provide full refunds to all of our Kickstarter backers.

We are processing refunds to each backer via PayPal since it is impossible to refund to the initial form of payment (this is the method suggested by Kickstarter). We will send each backer a private message via Kickstarter so that you can provide us the email address associated with your PayPal account. We will refund the full amount that you pledged to that account. Please respond to the private message by November 15, 2018.

We appreciate the support from the Kickstarter community and we encourage anyone who is interested in our VR/AR platform and products to visit our website at www.sixense.com.

Thank you,

Amir Rubin

Cool, I'll get back my $299 after 5 years of waiting (I'm not returning the tshirt! Even though it doesn't fit, it seems many people never even got it, I was lucky)
It's a little sad though, I would still like to get Stem. The hand controllers aren't as good as Touch, but with 5 trackers it would have been great to give us body tracking without giving money to HTC for Vive pucks.

Now if PrioVr could SHIP MORE THAN ONE SUIT PER YEAR they might reach my order number while I'm still alive to use it.

Comments

• nosys70nosys70 Posts: 466
    Art3mis

i gave up with priovr and go with the perception neuron. no regrets

• kojackkojack Posts: 5,624 Volunteer Moderator
    nosys70 said:

i gave up with priovr and go with the perception neuron. no regrets

My work has a Perception Neuron. It's pretty cool.
    Well, we did have one, apparently it's been loaned to another campus and they broke it. :(

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Guess I'll be getting my money back. Still wanted the controllers, but it's been so long I lost hope.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • msm903msm903 Posts: 106
    Art3mis
    Sad was hoping to replace my aging razor hydra. I wonder if anyone else makes a decent motion controller. 
  • kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    msm903 said:
    Sad was hoping to replace my aging razor hydra. I wonder if anyone else makes a decent motion controller. 
    Oculus make a decent Motion controller.. oh wait, you mean outside of VR :tongue:

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,113 Valuable Player
    Bloody hell, that's a surprise to hear. I thought they had done a runner to the Cayman Islands, having the office next door to Chris Roberts' one lololol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kernowkernow Posts: 733
    Trinity
    kojack said:
    Now if PrioVr could SHIP MORE THAN ONE SUIT PER YEAR they might reach my order number while I'm still alive to use it.
    Yep. Still waiting on PrioVR, myself. They seem to have stopped responding to messages and emails asking for shipping updates. :( Kind of pisses me off they are selling and shipping the suits on their website, but haven't bothered to finish shipping to their backers.

However, I also backed Perception Neuron, received the full suit a couple years ago, and have been happy with it.
    If my maths isn't wrong (don't do currency conversions at 4am), back when the kickstarter was on, $299us (the tier I got) was equal to $323au (what I paid). But today, $299us is equal to $419au. So I have gotten a $96au profit.

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,150 Valuable Player
    Just got burned with a kickstarter myself also, last one I am backing.

Kickstarter is not the slightest bit interested in resolving the problem. Seems just a great way to commit fraud and get a way with it.

Just read the comments on PrioVR, disgusting way to treat backers. I think they should organise a group visit to the company. 

At least sixth sense have done the honorable thing. I thought it was doomed as soon as I used the Touch for the first time.

Completely unrelated to VR but this is what I backed, still holding out hope as it is early days but the total lack respect for backers is galling. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1348567444/levizen-levitate-water-and-feel-zero-gravity

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,113 Valuable Player
    I was thinking of starting a Kickstarter campaign for something, seems like a good way of getting shitloads of money without actually doing anything. Either a dodgy Kickstarter campaign or starting a cult...but the latter would also mean I'd have PLENTY of rampant kinky sex.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,781 Valuable Player
    I am interested in why the VR media is not prepared to delve into the story behind what happened at Sixense - is it that many of them ran the hype and do not want to be embarrassed? The same with ControlVR or recently with OSVR?

If we do not learn from the mistakes made, we will be cursed to repeat them!
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    Yay, I see $299us has gone into my Paypal. At last Sixense doing something quickly.

Paypal say it's $407au, so $84au profit.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,604 Valuable Player
    Just got burned with a kickstarter myself also, last one I am backing.

Kickstarter is not the slightest bit interested in resolving the problem. Seems just a great way to commit fraud and get a way with it.

I backed my very first Kickstarter project earlier this year. So far it is working out great. I've already started receiving some rewards (digital download media). Granted, I made an easy bet because this is coming from the creators of Myst:

I'm getting my own Linking book (I ordered the LCD one).

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited October 2018
    I never played Myst but I understand how games can have a special sentimental meaning. 

What does the LCD screen do? Is it a game or does it play excerpts from Myst?

For a while I have been toying with the idea of creating some homemade Harry Potter Newspapers for my games room. You know with the moving pictures etc.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,604 Valuable Player
    It's just a novelty, because that is how Myst (the first game in a 6-part series) began. As the player, you would put your hand on the animated part of the book, and it would transport you to that world.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    The nice thing about Kickstarters' in this sector, is that post Sixense and ControlVR the level of scrutiny is such (from forums and media) that they have to offer something considerably different to get coverage. Even the KATVR second Kickstarter was abandoned when they went for an Enterprise focus. I think that the Woojer KS will find it a hard path to follow after Hardlight.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Finally got my $299. Really sad how the whole thing went down, but I respect them for giving refunds.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Art3mis
    I got mine yesterday. I still don't have anything to replace my razer hydra with. I wouldn't be surprised if in a few months we see the  device out there for a few thousand dollars a pair.
    I don't get why you need one? 

edited October 2018
    Finally got my $299. Really sad how the whole thing went down, but I respect them for giving refunds.

Sorry that it ended like that - but having dealt with their management previously it was inevitable that this outcome was in their future, just surprised they managed to repay the backers - lot of embarrassment going round, but with a positive twist at least. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    Art3mis
    I don't get why you need one? 

I use my  razer hydra for FPS I play, such as Battlefiled series. It works okay but it is aging at this point. I was hoping for a replacement for something like that. I was never really interested in utilizing it in VR.