Virtual Link with Rift CV1 — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Virtual Link with Rift CV1

Orodreth16Orodreth16 Posts: 57
Hiro Protagonist
Hi there!

so, I'm wondering if there are any plans from Oculus or whoever to release an adapter for current headsets for use with the new Virtual Link connector in Nvidia's RTX cards.
I imagine something like a USB hub with enough USB ports for sensors and headset and with a HDMI for the headset.
Anyone know if something like that is planned? I think it would be pretty handy, since apparently some people are struggling with all this USB-controller-bandwidth stuff.

Best Answers

Answers

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    It might already work. I have 2 hubs I purchased in the box, I can try to test them tonight.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,528 Valuable Player
    I am very interested in this also!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • Blue_AngelBlue_Angel Posts: 24
    Brain Burst
    Xicor said:
    the new one that came out from accell kills your haptic feedback. i dont know how oculus missed it when testing the product before putting on the oculus ready sticker.
    Can Oculus have a say/ response to this perhaps 
    I've also read on Amazon that it doesn't work for many users that bought it :(
  • MAC_MAN86MAC_MAN86 Posts: 2,262
    Wintermute
    edited February 4
    For any that it worked on, must you use a USB C directly on the GPU (RTX only) or can we connect a monitor to the HDMI into a motherboard USB C? (then Rift via 10** series HDMI) or basically is that the purpose of this specific adapter for mainly providing the HDMI from the card? I hadn't previously thought about how to use the motherboard's USB C as a Hub.
    Just read some Hubs only pass HDMI at 30Hz not 60Hz.
    edited February 4
    I would "think" for GPU display then it would need to go through the GPU C-Port.
    Hence the term "Virtual Link" for the new GPU C-Ports.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,364 Volunteer Moderator
    The standard way of getting video over usb-c is "display port alt mode".
    Virtual Link is a new protocol. It needs both your gfx card and the thing on the other end (vr headset) to be virtual link compatible (which the rift isn't).

An adapter should be able to handle the conversion, but the accell adapter is just the old display port alt mode. Using it won't take advantage of virtual link (even though it's connected to a virtual link port, it just falls back to alt mode).

The adapter seemed to work fine for me for displaying in the Rift, I was using a different adapter though.
    Don