New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Are there any HDMI and USB hubs that work with Oculus Rift?

hawkeyeehawkeyee Posts: 2
NerveGear
I would like to keep my 32" tv connected to my alienware laptop as a second monitor but I cannot find any HDMI and USB hubs that work with Oculus Rift to split them from the Laptop. Tired of purchasing failed products. HELP!!!!! PLEASE!!!!! or will I have to keep plugging and unplugging Oculus directly to the Laptop in order for it to connect?

Answers

• Lunchbox7985Lunchbox7985 Posts: 5
    NerveGear
    there arent "HDMI hubs", an hdmi port is a single output, when you plug something into it there is a digital handshake of sorts, so its not just as simple as a splitter either. such things exist but the rift seems picky when it comes to such things and i doubt they will work. they do make hdmi switches and that might yield better results.

usb hubs shouldnt be as much as a problem. when a computer has multiple usb ports they are usually all hooked to the same controller internally, so in essence they are already a hub. but the more devices you have plugged in, the more usb bandwidth you use which can be a problem for rift.

with a desktop you could do a pci usb card which adds another usb controller, and thus more bandwidth, and you would have more than one output for your monitor as well, but with a laptop it might be a little limited. you could do something that is essentially a usb external video card for the tv if you dont game on it too hard.
  • VallieVallie Posts: 124
    Art3mis
    I have my Rift connected through a DVI-HDMI cable.