New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 985
    3Jane

J/K J/K. I don't know enough about the tech or how feasible it is to manufacture something like that but it's interesting.

On another note, someone posted another review.

Let's be real, you didn't come here to find out about the crazy comfort changes they made to the Odyssey+. You came here to find out if the anti-SDE filter really works. I'll say right now, it's a night and day difference between the Odyssey+ and every other current gen headset. Which headsets have I owned or extensively tested? HTC Vive (since launch), Oculus Rift (1 year), Dell MR (~1 month), and Odyssey (~1 month). In the Odyssey+ have to just stand and stare at the worst possible spot (large, bright areas; blue sky, etc) and even then I can only maybe begin to see some tiny screen door effect [SDE]. Here are a few pictures I took (take into account this is a smartphone picture of a VR headset, center of my picture is most clear, zooming in isn't representative of anything, and none of this substitutes for really seeing it).

The only headset that comes close to having the least SDE as possible is the 5K+, but the Odyssey+ even tops that in terms of pure SDE. Which should you get? 100% without a doubt anyone who can afford it and has the GPU horespower to drive it get the Pimax 5K+. The SDE is super minimal, not quite as low as the Odyssey+ but it comes with the game changing 170 ° horizontal FOV, unlike the Odyssey's+ same as all other headset's 100 ° FOV. Not to forget the 5K+ has much more clarity as well due to the higher resolution screens.

If you don't have the budget for the Pimax, then this is by far the only current gen headset worth your money. I'm incredibly impressed by Samsung, what seemed to be an iterative update to the original Odyssey in every regard, ended up being iterative for everything except the SDE, the SDE is almost eliminated. I'll definitely be keeping the Odyssey+ for now, at least until I get my Pimax. For anyone interested in a better perspective on my opinions, here are my Pimax impressions.

EDIT: A few things I thought I'd clarify. Samsung has done all this without massive blurring, there might only be a slight difference when compared. The new material feels a lot nicer on the skin than the last model. The nose flaps are gone, you can play without the fear of constant suffocation. Colors are still amazing, not muted at all. Not including bluetooth in the original was a massive oversight which I'm glad they corrected. I plugged the headset in, turned on the controllers, and everything was already paired and working. Sadly the headphone mechanism doesn't extend any further than it did in the original, I know it didn't reach many peoples ears correctly. It still doesn't quite perfectly sit on the ear center, but comes very close for me that it's not really a problem.

For me there is one unfortunate annoyance which has been here since the original model. It is simply a fault of the head-strap design. While comfortable in how it manages weight distribution, it fails to really sit on your face. It never feels solidly attached, the bottom always feels just a bit off my skin. This causes the headset to move a bit side to side when turning or looking around at a slightly quicker pace. Oh and the cable is still the same extremely disappointing length, make sure you pickup extensions.

I still see blur on a lot of the pics but he is another that says the blurring is minimal. Could just look blurry with the phone camera zoomed in idk.

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,780 Valuable Player
    It really does look amazing - it looks quite sharp and I don't notice any SDE - here are the pics taken with a phone camera showing images through the Odyssey+ lenses (which will cause some blurring). So this is the second reviewer highly praising the Odyssey+

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    3Jane
    edited October 2018
    I'll find out for sure around November 5th-7thish lol. And it's the 3rd reviewer, but 2nd one with pics.

I will say I've been conflicted and going back and forth about canceling my order and just going after the Pimax 5k Plus. I've watched a lot of through the lens videos and it's pretty incredible. Yea it didn't meet its advertised specs for the kickstarter but I didn't back it in the kickstarter so doesn't really matter to me personally. But, I feel like I want to wait another GPU generation before I go all in on a brute force headset like the pimax so I can really push the realism levels. I also want to let valve come out with their knuckles and 2.0 tracking and all that.

So yea, I'll have an Odyssey in a week or so. Will definitely add my $0.02 when I get it.
  • MradrMradr Posts: 3,212 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    @hoppingbunny123

Seems a bit complex - wouldn't it be cheaper to take one pixel and convert it into 4 pixels by girdling everything into each other? 1pix to 4 fake pixels but keep the light from bleeding into the next grid of pixels by some black boundy. In theory though - without that extra data - you still have the same problem with it being not as sharp - but at least you wouldn't run into the wash out effect from those images would have plus the added pixel increase. It's like a cheaper way to do upscaling. Sure, you still have SDE lines - but between the pixel count and the space between pixels - it should still look a lot better than current gen one headsets. No needed light and cheap to make.

The nice thing about this - is the fact it should be applicable to any VR headset with the correct current pixel spacing. Of course it be near impossible for a normal use to do it - but future VR headsets could double their pixel count without having to increase demand for it or have extra cost in a upscaler.

If I base it off this image - it looks like 1 fake pixels is actually shared by 2 real pixels and that causes the wash out effect as they share the same pixel.

Personally - I think SDE is solved already - the problem isn't so much the space between the pixel as it is in the amount of information per real pixel. Real pixels cost a lot and that is where I hope AI and Eye tracking comes into play. If FOVR/ET can help lower the real pixel performance down, but still allow high end image where we are looking - then stuff like this can feel almost real life by the time we can hit real 4k by 4k with a 16k by 16k upscale technology. Even real 2k by 2k still would be 9k by 9k.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 391
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    a pixel is made up of three different colored lights, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue.
    so i can see you taking that 1 pixel and adding to what it is sending light too, but theres a problem when you try to get two different colors from the pixel.

the rgb combine to make one color, so you need two sets of rgb to make two colors, and two different colors = 2 pixels.

on a different note, i tested my idea using a lamp shade, a blank piece of white paper, a large emergency flashlight and a ultraviolet flashlight used to see stains in the dark.

- i taped the blank white printing paper to the lcd screen, there was half the lcd screen not covered by the paper.
    - i held the lamp and moved it around the lcd screen watching to see if i needed to cover only the white part of the lamp shade on the inside of the lamp with a dark color black.

i covered the white plastic part in the inside of the lamp with black socks and then let the light shine out of the top of the lamp so the monitor could reflect that light from the black socks, and it did, it washed out the black lcd color regardless of how i darkened the inside reflecting part of the lamp.

this meant reflection from the inside of the lamp washed out the black on the monitor and so the top part of the lamp needed to be out of view of the screen to not wash out the black, so i do need to put a tint to stop any of the white light from washing out the color of the pixel.
    - then i drew two lines on the paper and these were measurement markers to measure the light i shone on the paper from my uv flashlight, the inner measurement was the ending part the flashlight lit up.
    then i held my lamp, and moved it towards the white paper and it moved the lit up part of the paper towards the outer marking, without adversely changing the uv color.
    - then i did the same thing but used a white light and when i moved the lamp towards the lit paper it moved the lit up part towards the outer measurement., without changing the color white from the flashlight to a darker tone.

so my idea works. you might need a dark color tint or dark black or blue.

edit. and the tint has to be translucent not transparent. if its translucent the light is distributed across the tint evenly, or mostly evenly, but if its transparent you would probably get a shine on the black from the light bulb and that ruins the effect.
  • SpaceStrangerSpaceStranger Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    I know it's WMR but I hope Oculus is taking notes on this for Rift 2.. no hope for new research for the Quest at this point on this though so screen door still shipping with the Quest I guess lol.  Already at a disadvantage.
  • ChristianXXXChristianXXX Posts: 9
    NerveGear
    It seems that Oculus is starting to worry about the advantage that WMR is taking (see link). The cancellation of the Oculus Rift 2 project and the resignation of Brendan Iribe will surely cause delays, but the truth is that if the people of Oculus do not move quickly, they will be left behind. Samsung Odyssey is already going for its second version of Odyssey, which is clearly superior to the Rift and at almost the same price (the original version is at $ 349). The positive part is that when there is competition, the beneficiary is the user.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/after-canceling-rift-2-overhaul-oculus-plans-a-modest-update-to-flagship-vr-headset/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+(TechCrunch)

3Jane
    edited October 2018
    It seems that Oculus is starting to worry about the advantage that WMR is taking (see link). The cancellation of the Oculus Rift 2 project and the resignation of Brendan Iribe will surely cause delays, but the truth is that if the people of Oculus do not move quickly, they will be left behind. Samsung Odyssey is already going for its second version of Odyssey, which is clearly superior to the Rift and at almost the same price (the original version is at $ 349). The positive part is that when there is competition, the beneficiary is the user.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/31/after-canceling-rift-2-overhaul-oculus-plans-a-modest-update-to-flagship-vr-headset/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Techcrunch+(TechCrunch)

Well on one hand it's good that they recognize the flaw in having their "flagship" be made outdated by even their mobile tech offerings but that's kind of disappointing that it seems they're abandoning the cutting edge/a real CV2 for a long while. It's a bit late in the game for me though. I'm still rolling an Odyssey for now. I'm looking forward to the portability of the Odyssey+ as much as I am the SDE reduction. I'll compare this new Rift refresh to the Pimax when I'm ready for another ugprade. 
    3Jane

They talk about the SDE here at 28:05. 
    Nexus 6
    i made a few adjustments to get rid of god rays and changed transparent to translucent from this post, fyi;

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/comment/648153/#Comment_648153

tl;dr

just made the screen to erase sde from one piece of glass leading from a single pixel, the glass is larger at the end, so paint the sides of the glass white to reflect light, and on one side of the glass make it a translucent tint dark blue or black and shine a light through it to help the light from the pixel go through the glass.

and for god rays and visible lens circles, its diffused light from the lcd, refocus the light to get rid of the effect in unwanted areas of the screen, the part of the screen its sent too you can add in a tint to get rid of the glow.
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 260
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2018
    Hows the sweet spot ? (viewable area without having to move your head, only looking around by moving your eyes).
    I hear it's pretty bad on the Odyssey+, worse than the Rift.

Whereas on my Oculus GO (which features the new Oculus lenses), the sweet spot is much LARGER than the RIft.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO

3Jane
    edited November 2018
    From what I've read is that it is worse than Rift but better than Vive and the + is a little better than the OG Odyssey. It's a problem if you wear glasses apparently though as it leads to blurring along the sides because your eyes aren't close enough. Main negative I keep seeing repeated from everyone is the fit of it is bad. Depending on the size/shape of your head and face, it can be a real pain to get the headset comfortable which is pretty inexcusable considering this is an improvement over an already crappy fit of the OG. 
    edited November 2018
    pyroth309 said:
    From what I've read is that it is worse than Rift but better than Vive and the + is a little better than the OG Odyssey. It's a problem if you wear glasses apparently though as it leads to blurring along the sides because your eyes aren't close enough. Main negative I keep seeing repeated from everyone is the fit of it is bad. Depending on the size/shape of your head and face, it can be a real pain to get the headset comfortable which is pretty inexcusable considering this is an improvement over an already crappy fit of the OG. 

Exactly - I did watch the VR roundtable yesterday. So it seems the display is awesome, and that the main problem is ergonomics. I'm using glasses inside the HMD, so ergonomics could be a real deal breaker - also caused by the lack of ability to tilt the HMD on your face (Rift HMD can be tilted up/down a few degrees to make a perfect fit, Odyssey+ is firm/rigid). Then again other users are happy with the ergonomics on Odyssey+, but it may depend on your skull's shape and size ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited November 2018
    a pixel is made up of three different colored lights, 1 red, 1 green, 1 blue.
    so i can see you taking that 1 pixel and adding to what it is sending light too, but theres a problem when you try to get two different colors from the pixel.

the rgb combine to make one color, so you need two sets of rgb to make two colors, and two different colors = 2 pixels.

Yes, I know how RGB works - this was just a markup - but the brown in this case would be a collection of all the pixels that make up that one color -> forward to micro mirrors grid array and then to your eyes. This should work for full RGB and Pentile type screens depending on how the pixels are setup.

Hell you could even allow a mix of colors between the array grid micro mirrors and effectively still allow for blacks and colors while removing SDE all together by bending the light between the two grids. This would effectively give you 0 black lines and no SDE at all. The only downside is the image would look soften (not blurry) - but should be only noticeable when comparing between images. Idk - it seems like we can already do this and this is just a micro upgrade to the real problem of how can we get more information into the sense to allow more scaling of the image/aka make it sharper with more detail.
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2018
    you seem to have lost me. but i gather the pixel is sending light to a screen that has an angled tip directly above the pixel. the screen above the pixel would work like a bi-convex lens or magnifying glass so you wouldn't need any light source.

that wouldn't work, i thought about what would happen if you put a magnifying glass in-between the rift screen and current rift lenses.

if the rift lenses are shaped similar to the gear vr lenses, their shaped like like bi-convex lenses or magnifying glasses.
    then by adding a second magnifying glass, the picture would be incredibly zoomed in.

if you took the light from the pixel and sent it into a bi-convex shape, the light would become smaller = more sde.

the rift needs a magnifying glass in-between the rift screen and rift lenses, to remove the appearance of the Fresnel lens circles and god rays. but putting two magnifying glasses side by side wouldn't work, you need to add in bi-concave lenses to separate the two magnifying glasses so the lcd picture looks normal.

so, to remove the need for a light source i guess you could design some fancy two lens system with micro sized b-concave and bi-convex shapes. this would gather the diffused light from the pixel to add the extra light needed for the extra space lit up.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,537 Valuable Player
    Any attempt to get rid of screen door only makes for a more blurred image as far as I can tell. I prefer a sharper image over a blurred image any day when playing games, but that isn't the the case when I'm watching movies and screen door really effects the viewing.. 
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,106
    Wintermute
    If you can make pixels touch each other, meaning no space in between (no sde) the image will be sharp, but the picture will appear more pixilated, lower resolution. That's because the brain use the small black inter pixel, the SDE, to "create" missing information, and that's also why you have the feeling a kind of grid is set between you and a "higher res" picture (because your brain think it have more resolution than you can see due to the grid in between).
    I saw that when I was using 2 projectors, one LCD and one DLP. When you project a huge picture with the LCD and you approach near the projected image you can see huge SDE and RGB colors for each pixel. In any case from a certain distance the screen appear having a good resolution. The same thing done with DLP ang going near the screen and pixel was touching each other, no SDE at all, but the image appear having a slightly lower resolution at the same long distance (both was full HD 1920x1080 obviously). Saying that I 100% prefer the DLP result. Picture is sharp, and stay clean even when you're near the screen.
    So the more the pixels touch each other, the more the resolution need to be increased IMHO...

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

edited November 2018

The micro mirror wouldn't need to bend the light though - it just acts as a color collector - it's no different than using a fiber optic line by a color line and the other end shows that same color light. The plus side there is no lost of light. So your first part would be just a single panel of the over all pixel color instead of RGB. The sides of this block would have a one way mirror effect to keep that color trap into that block. This would keep light bleeding from happening. Yes you would still have the SDE - but using something like what Samsung made - you could in theory bend the light around the edges so the color intermix in that space between effectively removing all SDE.  The problem is that it still will not be as sharp if you do blend the light together as there will be a little color bleed - but be very limited and I say almost not noticeable in this case. The other problem - is your brain is going to look for more detail into what it is looking at - but it wont get it - so you will think it's blurry. All this would be is a very thin film over the screen that has to match up the grid lines to the pixels allowing you to use your current stock of screens. No normal everyday person will be able to match them up by eye - but a machine design to track and make sure could do it no problem.

Up close this looks great - but if you notice the trees in the background don't have as much detail in them like real pixels would allow and as a result - look a bit blurry.
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    Nice unboxing and setup and First Impression vid. Another complaint about the fit but otherwise similar to the other reviews. He said the SDE was improved over the Vive Pro but it wasn't dramatic and things were indeed softer. 

These reviews have me waffling more than Brett Favre retiring. I'm leaning to rolling with a Pimax again but still gonna get an odyssey+ until Pimax is completely out. 
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2018
    Mradr,

i think you mean to have a mirror above the pixel thats a 2 way mirror,

the 2 way mirror bounces 50 percent of the light reflected off the mirror.

the 50 percent light reflected off the 2 way mirror above the pixel is then sent to mirrors on the perimeter of the pixel which reflect that 50 percent light.

the 50 percent light from the mirrors on the perimeter mixes with the 50 percent light that escaped the 2 way mirror to become 100 percent light again.

i think thats what you mean. the problem is the 50 percent light sent out to the mirrors on the side or perimeter is also sending light to the area in-between the mirrors on the perimeter and the 2 way mirror, which absorbs light.

but if you took my idea and had the bi-convex lens, the bi-convex would take all the light from the pixel and focus it.

then that focused light is sent to the bi-concave lens to change the focused light to unfocused light.

that unfocused light is then send into the glass tube thats walls are painted pure white, not the top and bottom wall. the light only escapes from the top of the glass tube and so is bright, and then you mold the glass to cover the screen sde.

using these bi-convex and bi-concave lenses you dont need an additional light source on the glass tube.

theres different kinds of convex and concave lenses; plano where 1 side is flat, and double where both sides are curved.

the light from the pixel is diffused so is going out, so you use the curved side of the convex to gather this scattered light.

the theory is both sides of the lenses are equal for double sides convex lenses but act opposite to how the other side acted, so the one side magnifying the other side must be scattering.

then the double convex lens have the same theory, if the one side is focused then the other side scatters equally.

the result of these two lenses is all the light is taken from being scatter to focused, and then distributed evenly.

edit, also you could make a volumetric display using the glass part of the design.

make the tube hollow, paint the walls white, and add layers of glass at intervals in the tube.

replace the white for a led light, that would be able to move the tube to lit white to lit black so at the middle of the tube you would have white and the rest of the tube the other half would be black, and if you wanted the whole tube would be lit black or white.

and the led white lights at least 1 layer of glass in the tube illuminating that glass and the glass collects the light from the led double-concave lens.

this way you choose which glass to light up and thats what gives the volumetric value, the led display just adjusts its picture and flashes fast to add in the 3d picture.

thread moved here;
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/70863/volumetric-display-and-anti-sde-technology-idea/p1?new=1
    Seems like the first opportunists/vultures have arrived  >:)

https://www.ebay.com/itm/183517305171?ul_noapp=true

• SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 83
    Hiro Protagonist
    OmegaM4N said:
    Well the lowest SDE i have seen in a VR headset to date in in the PSVR, and it also zero godrays, so i have been expecting the SDE thing to disappear completly from all VR hardware at some point over the next few years, so i am ready as are my aging eyes.

We are almost there, should be fun, can't wait for the next hardware.

PSVR uses 3 subpixels, while Rift and Vive only use 2, which is why the PSVR has less SDE. If the Odyssey+ has 2x the PPI as the Vive Pro, then that sounds like 4 subpixels. One report on Youtube suggested you could kind of still see the lines, but they were light coloured and only noticeable if you were looking for it.
    edited November 2018

But you are talking about a lens that bends light - I am not bending any light. I am just collecting the light and then passing it on. Granted - I could see it losing 50% of the light source so another idea is to increase light/white levels with another sub pixel. This subpixel wouldn't add to the real resolution as it be control by your panel controller for coloring. This would increase your total sub pixel by 25% percent lowering naturally the pixel space for a given size creating a smaller pitch between the pixels. This can also naturally provide the needed light for the light spreading/panel. Then between the panels have another light collector and remove SDE all together.

The other benefit of RGBW is the fact we could in theory run at 2k resolution and get a 3k panel worth of pixels. This lowers the demand on hardware while still giving us more sub pixels to work with. The downside is marketing will try to say it's 3k when reality it's only real 2k (Pimax logic). I have a feeling this is what Samsung might try to do next for VR screens. At least if they do go with this - it could allow us to finally break into 4k or 5k screens running at 3k or 4k resolution along with eye tracking/FOVR effectively lowering the performance down to that of what CV1 currently cost us at SS of 1.5 to 2.0  in terms of performance. That would open the door still to 3 generation of cards 900s, 10s and 20s depending on the game. This wouldn't help FOV for say or the hardware demand it takes to increase FOV - but it would sharply improve clarity on what is on the screen for text, distant views, and DOF. 
    3Jane
    maxpare79 said:
    Some people around here might remember me from the old days (used to be a mod here)
    I just want to put out there that I will be receiving and Odyssey+ as well tomorrow (30 days to return it, so not much risk there). I will post my full review this week. Been using the Rift since DK2, the Vive regularly at my friends house as well. I was curious how the screen of the Odyssey+ would improve sims and Elite. I will report back this week, I am dreading Revive and having to use SteamVR but I couldn't pass the opportunity to test a better screen at a decent price (I was eligible for the student/parents discount)
    Awesome, please do as that's what I bought one for. Mine has been delayed though. Guess there's a lot of orders.
    New Odyssey+ review:

"Samsung Odyssey+ should have been called the Samsung Odyssey- Review with comparo to Rift and Vive Pro.

Pros:

The screens are bright, and the colors are great. Blacks are very nice but you will notice more black smear as the Odyssey doesn't go towards more of a grey black to hide it.

Tracking is better than the original, which I assume has something to do with the built in bluetooth (why isn't this standard with all WMR, makes everything easier and plug and play)

Movies are now totally watchable -that's the one thing I actually liked about the Odyssey+ is that the SDE filter made movies look better then any other headset.

SDE is really almost completely gone but...

That's it.

Cons:

I was super hyped for this "anti SDE" tech, and it failed miserably for me. I was really hoping for less SDE and minimal loss of sharpness. NOPE. I was disgusted with the image the Odyssey+ put out in most games. Instead of SDE we now have a "sheen" over the whole screen (mura?) kinda like a linen over everything which is noticeable when you move your head around, as one poster described it -dust under the screen. The softness is real and unfixable. To describe what it looks like, its kinda like running a game in a non native res, and then jacking up the FXAA (anti aliasing, not the good kind either) to get rid of all the aliasing. Shit smear on all the detail and textures. This effect also makes games look more 2D as I found all the blur and lack of distinct lines made thing from the foreground and background blur into each other. Tried going as high as 300% SS settings in steam and still didn't fix the problem.

Tracking is good, but not perfect. Sometimes I'd lose tracking when reaching to high up or having my hands to close to the headset. Controllers feel cheap, and not as ergonomic as the touch controllers.

Comfort is crap for me. Don't know what kind of morons thought it would be a good idea to design a headset without any hinge to bring the headset closer to your eyes. Basically I had to wear it like a crown to get the display close enough to my eyes and then the stupidly short headphones would not reach my ears. I could never get it comfortable and was hoping that they fixed that issue from the original Odyssey but that's not the case at all.

Vs. Rift The display is much better then the Rift, It's more vibrant, brighter, and the detail and lesser effect of SDE is really noticeable -if you remove the BS anti SDE filter (referring to unmolested original screen) Everything else is better on the Rift from comfort, controllers, tracking, etc.

Vs. Vive Pro Vive Pro wins in most every category for me. I might say that the Odyssey has a larger sweet spot and has less godrays, but overall Vive Pro is much more comfortable and much sharper looking because of the lack of SDE filter.

Bottom Line:

I've found out that I'd much rather have native resolution with SDE then NO/Less SDE but a softer picture. The SDE filter is no solution and I hope other companies don't follow suit. I'd say that Samsung going RGB stripe vs Pentile would be a MUCH better solution then this SDE filter, and we know it's possible as they created a RGB stripe panel for the PSVR."

Source: https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9v2wn9/samsung_odyssey_should_have_been_called_the/

3Jane
    As I said from the beginning, That's what I was afraid of when I first heard about this tech. Mine is still on backorder so I went ahead and canceled it. If I woulda got it in when they said they were going to ship it, I would have kept it for a toy. But since it still hasn't even shipped.. yea. Now that it's leaked that we may be getting a Rift-S, I'm gonna hold off and see how it plays out and decide between that and Pimax. Guess I'll just fall back to pancake gaming in the meantime.
  • oldgamergazzaoldgamergazza Posts: 57
    Hiro Protagonist

pyroth309 said:
    As I said from the beginning, That's what I was afraid of when I first heard about this tech. Mine is still on backorder so I went ahead and canceled it. If I woulda got it in when they said they were going to ship it, I would have kept it for a toy. But since it still hasn't even shipped.. yea. Now that it's leaked that we may be getting a Rift-S, I'm gonna hold off and see how it plays out and decide between that and Pimax. Guess I'll just fall back to pancake gaming in the meantime.
    There are more positive reviews than negative.
    De oldgamergazza said:

pyroth309 said:
    There are more positive reviews than negative.

That's my impression too, the main problem seems to be ergonomics, and there may be further problems when using glasses inside the HMD, but it's more difficult finding reviews/opinions covering the latter.

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 743
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    Sorry, but I would have thought that most reported improvements would have been from other WMR headset users.  If not, why not?  Probably because everyone else thinks their VR systems are crap, lol!
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!