New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

12357

Comments

  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 346
    Trinity
    edited November 2018
    Is this going to end up like the god rays thing, some people are plaged with them and they ruin VR, but some do not seem to get them and have no idea why other have issue with them.

    This seems to be one of the things with VR, it seems until you put the actual headset on yourself you have no idea just what you are going to get and what that expereince is going to be for you personally, just a shame it is such a expensive way to find out. lol

  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,750 Valuable Player
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,852 Valuable Player
    I am certainly seeing very mixed reviews on some gaming forums I frequent, everything from how awesome it is to how trash it is and in between.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    dburne said:
    I am certainly seeing very mixed reviews on some gaming forums I frequent, everything from how awesome it is to how trash it is and in between.
    Sounds like every other product then! lol

    On a serious note, a lot of the satisfaction for people seems to be if it fits your face or not. I rebought one for the sale and it already shipped. Will be here Wednesday so I'll add my .02 when I get it. I also ordered some Velcro straps as I plan to try that mod first since it's cheap. If that doesn't work, I'm gonna see what kind of custom fit mod I can do to get it to fit. I felt like paying 499 for a product that doesn't fit was kind of absurd but for 299, I won't care that much about hacking on it lol. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    This was a good read and has me optimistic. Also my headset is stuck in tennessee delayed until friday. Thankgiving headaches I guess lol. 

    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9yqlcu/i_was_so_wrong_about_the_samsung_odyssey_i_was_so/
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,750 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Finally got a headset in this afternoon so here's my initial impressions after a couple of hours of use.

    Installation - A breeze after identifying a technical issue. Plugged it in, windows automatically detected it and it installed the software. Went to SteamVR and installed Windows Mixed Reality for SteamVR and launched it from steam and I'm in steamVR. Pretty simple. From there it's just normal SteamVR supersampling settings. I haven't tried Re-Vive yet as I'll need more time to figure that out. The Tech issue I had was a loud static sound. Turned out that my active USB cable extension doesn't have enough power across it for this headset. I had to plug it directly to my PC which has made my play space pretty dang small as the cable is short. I'll have to get a powered extension cable to try.

    Software - It's definitely clunkier than the Rift or PSVR but it works good enough. I haven't exactly figured out what all I can do in the cliff house yet but I was able to navigate and launch games with no problem.

    Visuals - Oh yea, this is the highlight. It looks really good. There's hardly any SDE except on white background as others have said and it's a tiny near invisible pattern. The blurring I was worried about is so subtle that you don't even notice it unless you are REALLY looking for it. Nothing looks soft to me in the headset unless I'm nitpicking, pleasantly surprised. I'm running 140% supersample with a GTX 1080 to start, I will lower and raise as I have more time to experiment and see what the effects are. I can definitely see text and small things farther than I can in the rift but it's not a big difference. What is a big difference though is everything else looking very crisp and nice. It's absolutely worth the tradeoff of some small object blur. Watching movies looks so good.

    Fit - I'm stunned to report that this thing fits me great and is actually more comfortable for me than the rift with only a little bit of light bleed on the far sides. I actually have no complaints and don't even need to do a velcro mod to it. I can definitely see though how people with a smaller face will have issues but happy it's not me! lol

    Tracking - It's sufficient but obviously inferior to Rift. There's some judder here and there and as mentioned you can't raise them over your head to good effect but I was able to play shooters no problem and also threw some td passes in 2MD football with no issues. I don't see it working in Beat saber on the tougher expert or expert+ tracks though. I prefer it to PSVR tracking. The controllers are kinda weird and blocky. Far Far inferior to Oculus Touch but they work.

    All in all I'm happy it only cost me 300 bucks and will definitely be using this thing a lot for awhile. I'll report back if opinion changes.



    Thank you for the great (mini/intro-)review, I did have the opportunity to get one for $360 + shipping + VAT the other day but passed. I do have a large head too - maybe it'll fit just fine (I did read mixed opinions about wearing glasses - seems to work great for some). If you play games like especially Doom VFR and/or Fallout 4 I'd be very interested to hear about your experience - movies and Doom VFR would be my primary reasons for getting an Odyssey+. 
    I only play when it's dark, so light bleed shouldn't be a problem - and it seems the controllers work fine in a semi-dark room. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    Thank you for the great (mini/intro-)review, I did have the opportunity to get one for $360 + shipping + VAT the other day but passed. I do have a large head too - maybe it'll fit just fine (I did read mixed opinions about wearing glasses - seems to work great for some). If you play games like especially Doom VFR and/or Fallout 4 I'd be very interested to hear about your experience - movies and Doom VFR would be my primary reasons for getting an Odyssey+. 
    I only play when it's dark, so light bleed shouldn't be a problem - and it seems the controllers work fine in a semi-dark room. 
    Doom was one of the games I played last night. I'm working this weekend so my playtime is low but, it ran and worked great. Guns were properly aligned, smooth motion worked good and it looked great.

    I posted my thoughts before passing out and left out a couple of important things. So the sweet spot is definitely smaller than the Rift. The overall FOV feels wider but it still feels like you're in a scuba mask or something. What is different though is the effective FoV that is not blurred feels smaller. So if you look off to the sides with your eyes it's blurry. I have to get my eyes perfectly aligned in the center of the sweetspot for it not to bug me. Fortunately for me, it's easy to do as the headset fits my head properly. For others, i could see this being a huge dealbreaker. For me, I don't even have to adjust the band, i can just slip the thing on and off and it's great. Still in shock this morning about that after all the reviews I read.

    Also, I have no issues with the concentric rings at all. Yea I can see them if I shift my view focus to look for them but when I'm looking at the game I never notice them.

    I will get around to Fallout 4 when I'm off again. I don't have it downloaded and need to do all that. I also can't comment on Glasses because I don't wear them... yet. But I do feel like my eyes are pretty close to the screen, not sure how glasses would work in this tbh. I feel like you'd be too far back and have bad FoV. Maybe contacts or inserts would work.

  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    Some more comments as I'm remembering them while sipping my coffee at work lol. 

    Because the headband fits my noggin properly, I didn't have any issues with the speakers not covering my ears like some. I could easily see this being a problem because if the Face part isn't sitting flush against your face to prevent light bleed, your only solution is to lift the back of the band up higher on your head...which in turn raises the speakers up(or do the velcro mod). The sound quality is pretty good from the speakers but I personally think Rifts are better with more bass. 

    The colors of this screen are really good and vibrant. I was pretty impressed by that. There is a Mura effect that I noticed is visible in pitch black on my headset but it's nowhere near as bad as the PSVR or anything. I haven't tried elite dangerous yet so I hope it's not a problem.

    There is definitely pros and cons to this headset when comparing it to the Rift but ultimately the Rift is a superior experience when you take everything into account. For me, it's gonna be hard to go back to the Rift lenses so I may stick with this until the Rift 1.5 or whatever comes out lol. 

    Also, as a seated experience it's really convenient that you don't have to worry about pulling out/moving sensors or any of that. Just throw it on and off you go. I was going to try Project cars 2 last night but forgot that my nephew borrowed my Xbox controller (My wheel broke awhile back and haven't gotten another yet). I'll dig up a dual shock and give that a go this evening. I'm also going to jump in some simulations. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,750 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    pyroth309 said:
    Some more comments as I'm remembering them while sipping my coffee at work lol. 

    Because the headband fits my noggin properly, I didn't have any issues with the speakers not covering my ears like some. I could easily see this being a problem because if the Face part isn't sitting flush against your face to prevent light bleed, your only solution is to lift the back of the band up higher on your head...which in turn raises the speakers up(or do the velcro mod). The sound quality is pretty good from the speakers but I personally think Rifts are better with more bass. 

    The colors of this screen are really good and vibrant. I was pretty impressed by that. There is a Mura effect that I noticed is visible in pitch black on my headset but it's nowhere near as bad as the PSVR or anything. I haven't tried elite dangerous yet so I hope it's not a problem.

    There is definitely pros and cons to this headset when comparing it to the Rift but ultimately the Rift is a superior experience when you take everything into account. For me, it's gonna be hard to go back to the Rift lenses so I may stick with this until the Rift 1.5 or whatever comes out lol. 

    Also, as a seated experience it's really convenient that you don't have to worry about pulling out/moving sensors or any of that. Just throw it on and off you go. I was going to try Project cars 2 last night but forgot that my nephew borrowed my Xbox controller (My wheel broke awhile back and haven't gotten another yet). I'll dig up a dual shock and give that a go this evening. I'm also going to jump in some simulations. 
    I am truly worried about not being able to enjoy the Rift if I get used to Odyssey+. - And then I have to use glasses - I don't like having to use contacts or other solutions. Over here Odyssey+ will be something like $600 to $700 when adding shipping and VAT - one Ebay seller wants $430, just added it to the cart to check the full price - which ended up being $665 (Global Shipping automatically adds VAT). So it'll be a lot more expensive than $300 and then if it doesn't fit (with glasses)... As a supplement to the Rift, it could be a fun thing to give myself this Christmas  :D

    BTW, it's easy to use both Rift and Odyssey+ on the same PC? - You just remove the cables from one and attach the other?

    Sad that Oculus seems so keen on getting rid of the external sensors when in fact that's the part really making the Rift shine. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Some more comments as I'm remembering them while sipping my coffee at work lol. 

    Because the headband fits my noggin properly, I didn't have any issues with the speakers not covering my ears like some. I could easily see this being a problem because if the Face part isn't sitting flush against your face to prevent light bleed, your only solution is to lift the back of the band up higher on your head...which in turn raises the speakers up(or do the velcro mod). The sound quality is pretty good from the speakers but I personally think Rifts are better with more bass. 

    The colors of this screen are really good and vibrant. I was pretty impressed by that. There is a Mura effect that I noticed is visible in pitch black on my headset but it's nowhere near as bad as the PSVR or anything. I haven't tried elite dangerous yet so I hope it's not a problem.

    There is definitely pros and cons to this headset when comparing it to the Rift but ultimately the Rift is a superior experience when you take everything into account. For me, it's gonna be hard to go back to the Rift lenses so I may stick with this until the Rift 1.5 or whatever comes out lol. 

    Also, as a seated experience it's really convenient that you don't have to worry about pulling out/moving sensors or any of that. Just throw it on and off you go. I was going to try Project cars 2 last night but forgot that my nephew borrowed my Xbox controller (My wheel broke awhile back and haven't gotten another yet). I'll dig up a dual shock and give that a go this evening. I'm also going to jump in some simulations. 
    I am truly worried about not being able to enjoy the Rift if I get used to Odyssey+. - And then I have to use glasses - I don't like having to use contacts or other solutions. Over here Odyssey+ will be something like $600 to $700 when adding shipping and VAT - one Ebay seller wants $430, just added it to the cart to check the full price - which ended up being $665 (Global Shipping automatically adds VAT). So it'll be a lot more expensive than $300 and then if it doesn't fit (with glasses)... As a supplement to the Rift, it could be a fun thing to give myself this Christmas  :D

    BTW, it's easy to use both Rift and Odyssey+ on the same PC? - You just remove the cables from one and attach the other?

    Sad that Oculus seems so keen on getting rid of the external sensors when in fact that's the part really making the Rift shine. 
    Yea I wouldn't pay 700 for this headset if I had a Rift. You won't be happy with it at that price especially as a glasses user unless 700 just means little to you lol. Even $600. $500 and below I could see a case for. As I mentioned, while it has a lot of positives it is not a perfect experience. Have you checked into a service like https://www.bigapplebuddy.com/ ?

    As far as both working together, yea so far there's no issue. I just swap the HDMI's, I have extra USB 3 ports so the other cable I leave in. No software conflicts or anything but I haven't tried Re-Vive yet. We'll see what happens when I get time to mess with that. I may research that today if I get time as I want to try Beat Saber with these controllers. 

  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,750 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:

    Yea I wouldn't pay 700 for this headset if I had a Rift. You won't be happy with it at that price especially as a glasses user unless 700 just means little to you lol. Even $600. $500 and below I could see a case for. As I mentioned, while it has a lot of positives it is not a perfect experience. Have you checked into a service like https://www.bigapplebuddy.com/ ?

    As far as both working together, yea so far there's no issue. I just swap the HDMI's, I have extra USB 3 ports so the other cable I leave in. No software conflicts or anything but I haven't tried Re-Vive yet. We'll see what happens when I get time to mess with that. I may research that today if I get time as I want to try Beat Saber with these controllers. 

    Thanks - I can see that Big Apply Buddy charges $50 for the repacking and handling - and then they seem to use FedEx shipping (which may or may not be more expensive than the USPS - of course nothing beats FedEx Priority getting my stuff in less than 2 days). I just asked Big Apple Buddy to get me a quote on the Odyssey+ from the MS Store - I'll post their reply later, I guess shipping to the UK would be much the same (maybe a little less VAT, I think UK VAT is 20%). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

    Yea I wouldn't pay 700 for this headset if I had a Rift. You won't be happy with it at that price especially as a glasses user unless 700 just means little to you lol. Even $600. $500 and below I could see a case for. As I mentioned, while it has a lot of positives it is not a perfect experience. Have you checked into a service like https://www.bigapplebuddy.com/ ?

    As far as both working together, yea so far there's no issue. I just swap the HDMI's, I have extra USB 3 ports so the other cable I leave in. No software conflicts or anything but I haven't tried Re-Vive yet. We'll see what happens when I get time to mess with that. I may research that today if I get time as I want to try Beat Saber with these controllers. 

    Thanks - I can see that Big Apply Buddy charges $50 for the repacking and handling - and then they seem to use FedEx shipping (which may or may not be more expensive than the USPS - of course nothing beats FedEx Priority getting my stuff in less than 2 days). I just asked Big Apple Buddy to get me a quote on the Odyssey+ from the MS Store - I'll post their reply later, I guess shipping to the UK would be much the same (maybe a little less VAT, I think UK VAT is 20%). 
    Nice.

    Yea I mostly bought this headset to play fallout/Doom and Movies myself and as a toy. I watched a few Videos with it last night and it looks great. I'm sure in a side by side the plus image would look blurry compared to the OG Odyssey but I never used or looked in an OG odyssey...or a Vive Pro (just an OG Vive briefly), so to me it looks great. Also, I actually was wrong....last night I was using 172% supersampling, not 140. Apparently I bumped it up and didn't notice lol. I verified that a minute ago while remoting into my PC. I'll have to buy that fps meter thing for SteamVR to see how the performance looks. Might be why I experienced some jutter occasionally with the tracking..could be bottoming out on frames. 

    Overall though, Like I said, stuff in the far distance isn't sharp. You can basically see until it blends out in blur... but it's definitely not sharp on the oculus either because of SDE so I really feel like you don't lose anything and you gain clarity in the short-mid ranges. Also, I didn't notice any God Rays now that I think about it. I'll have to look for them. I plan to get a few hours in it tonight and I'll post if opinion changes after the initial excitement has worn off. I picked up Evasion also on Steam, gonna give that a whirl. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,750 Valuable Player
    And the response from Big Apple Buddy:

    "Hi

    Many thanks for getting in touch with us!

    We’d love to help you out with the Samsung HMD Odyssey+.

    To place an order, please visit our Shop and add the item to your cart. 

    Please note that this promotion is only available while supplies last. The following Terms & Conditions apply:

    •    The Black Friday promotion will be available beginning 18 November. 
    •    We will try our best to secure the device for you at the sale price once the promotion becomes available. If the promotion is no longer available at time of purchase or is out of stock, we will refund your payment.
    •    The item comes with a U.S. warranty so you would need to return the device to America for repairs. We’d be more than happy to assist you with this process, but you would need to pay for any shipping and store related charges. A US$50 service fee will also apply.
    •    We are unable to provide store receipts to customers. However, a Big Apple Buddy invoice will be emailed to you upon payment.
    •    You may be required to pay customs duties/import taxes once the parcel arrives in your country. 

    If you have any questions, please let me know. Thanks!

    Cheers"

    I then asked for the shipping price, and shipping will be FedEx - but that'll require me to venture further into the ordering proces. Also some more Odyssey+ reviews emerged on Reddit - not really a big help, seems like Odyssey+ is either hit or miss:

    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/a02j9b/just_tried_odyssey_still_prefer_rift_impressions/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9yqlcu/i_was_so_wrong_about_the_samsung_odyssey_i_was_so/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/a03b88/returning_samsung_odyssey_and_sticking_to_ol/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9z49vj/my_opinions_on_cv1_vs_odyssey_after_a_few_hours/

    https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9zq5rf/unimpressed_with_odyssey/
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    I'm closer to the boat of that second to last review now. I ran into some games last night that weren't a good experience and they worked fine on the Rift. Talos Principle for example, I can't not see the concentric rings in that game. They're quite blinding actually. Elite dangerous I couldn't reduce the Zbuffering issue enough to make it tolerable. The same issue exists on my Rift but doesn't look so distracting...I guess that's a downside to clear optics lol. Skyrim VR I tried to get it to look decent and everything is blurry even when cranking the in game supersampling to max. I'll have to research more on that. Looks way worse than the Rift so I'm sure something's wrong with a setting somewhere, just didn't really have time to troubleshoot it. I moved on. Project Cars 2 looked really good. A bunch of other random games I tried looked good too, Gorn, Primordian, Titan Slayer, etc.

    When you get a game that it works great with it looks awesome, but it's definitely a hit or miss experience so far.

    Going to spend some time today doing more research. I also downloaded Fallout 4 going to check and see how it works tonight.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 391
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2018
    if you have a nvidia card try adjusting the video tab, color settings, something lower than default might reduce the luma and make things more visible.

    brightness, contrast, same value for both when adjusting, and lower saturation
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,282 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    pyroth309 said:

    There is definitely pros and cons to this headset when comparing it to the Rift but ultimately the Rift is a superior experience when you take everything into account. For me, it's gonna be hard to go back to the Rift lenses so I may stick with this until the Rift 1.5 or whatever comes out lol. 


    What?

    So Rift is superior but it's hard for you to go back to the Rift, so you'll stick with the O+  until Rift 1.5 comes along.

     :s 


    System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    pyroth309 said:

    There is definitely pros and cons to this headset when comparing it to the Rift but ultimately the Rift is a superior experience when you take everything into account. For me, it's gonna be hard to go back to the Rift lenses so I may stick with this until the Rift 1.5 or whatever comes out lol. 


    What?

    So Rift is superior but it's hard for you to go back to the Rift, so you'll stick with the O+  until Rift 1.5 comes along.

     :s 
    Hmm, not sure how that was hard to understand but I'll rephrase.

    All I was saying is that Overall the Rift is superior because of everything it does. ASW, Tracking, Software, Performance etc. Despite all of those advantages, it's hard for *me* to go back to the RIft lenses after using the odyssey+ ones. But, I've already run into games that I'll still be playing on the RIft because of issues. As far as the Rift 1.5 comment, A Rift with new lenses/screens means I have no use for the Odyssey. 
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,282 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    So basically no overall clear winner in your case. You'll use each on a use case basis. But, when the O+ works it's better than the Rift, but sadly it doesn't always play ball so the Rift is not obsolete. If the O+ did work in all scenarios then the Rift would be right?

    I am hearing from some folks that the distance objects look quite blurry compared to up close details on the O+. This is problematic in games like PCARS where distance details are important. What's your view on this?


    System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    So basically no overall clear winner in your case. You'll use each on a use case basis. But, when the O+ works it's better than the Rift, but sadly it doesn't always play ball so the Rift is not obsolete. If the O+ did work in all scenarios then the Rift would be right?

    I am hearing from some folks that the distance objects look quite blurry compared to up close details on the O+. This is problematic in games like PCARS where distance details are important. What's your view on this?
    I think the Rift is objectively a better device than the O+. In games where the O+ gets good performance and you can crank the settings, the Odyssey+ looks better but it still has other drawbacks compared to the Rift with the tracking and no ASW etc and blur in some games. So yea, I'll use the O+ where it works good, or where the Rift doesn't. It's going to be complimentary to me at this point. 

    I only took a few laps in project cars and I felt like I could see fine but I'm just a casual player to it. I didn't notice but I can run them side by side and check again this evening. The only thing I noticed in project cars was the bad aliasing everywhere is much clearer in the Odyssey but I have the same problem in Rift. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    I'm super busy at work so sorry if my replies earlier are disjointed or discombobulating. 

    Here's a summary of my thoughts presently after using the headset for roughly 8 hours and sampling about 30ish games now to see what works. I have a GTX 1080 so these are my experiences with that card. 
    • The Anti-SDE tech is legit. If I could best describe how the picture looks, it's like a high resolution PSVR with SDE that's half as visible and has the negatives of Fresnel lenses. God Rays/Rings/Distortion on edges
    • Great colors
    • Convenient - 2 plugs that's it 
    • Great sound quality from the speakers. 
    • Controllers are weird to use. They're bulky and blocky and don't really feel good in my hand. The button layout is head scratching to me as well. But at least it has both sticks and the Vive touch pad things. 
    • The tracking is sufficient and even impressive in some cases. Whatever they're using to calculate the movement when you reach out of camera is pretty amazing. I was playing some 2MD football again last night and I was making sure the camera couldn't see my hands and the tracking was still 1 to 1 out there for a couple of seconds, which allowed me to throw good passes without it seeing my hands. It will stop responding after a couple of seconds though and you gotta bring it back to the cameras to get tracking again. The Rift has good tracking 100% of the time all over so I will always give it the nod over the Odyssey. But the Odyssey+ tracking is good enough for most games for sure. I played it just like I play my Rift and I definitely prefer it over the PSVR tracking (or lack of it). 
    • God Rays are only visible in some games, they aren't as blinding as the Rift but they can still be distracting. I noticed them most in Serious Sam The Last Hope on the title screen with the big ship. They tend to stay along the outer edges and aren't blasting you in the pupil like the Rift.
    • Movies and Videos look great.
    • I wish I had a 2080 TI to push this headset to the limit but I can't justify upgrading this tier. I'm holding off another GPU generation.
    • It's a comfortable headset...if it fits you. There's light bleed around the edges for me. I get less light bleed from the nose gap than the Rift, But if I look left or right I can see light coming in. I think a custom cover would solve this for me.
    • In some games, the O+ looks incredible, in others it looks worse than the Rift. The reasons it can look worse can vary from:
    1. Prominent Concentric Rings (Just 1 game so far)
    2. Worse Performance - meaning you may have to run lower graphical settings resulting in a worse look.
    3. Smaller Sweet Spot which causes distortion, especially while playing active games from the headset moving back and forth
    4. The blur on very small objects/distant textures can be a problem in some games.
    5. You have to be very close to the lenses or the FoV shrinks fast. I'm skeptical a glasses wearer would be satisfied.
    6. My headset has a Mura effect that's worse than the Rift but better than the PSVR. Could just be my specific screens as this can vary. It's not visible in Elite with all the dark areas so not a big deal in the end but worth mentioning.
    7. The Sweet Spot is wider horizontally than vertically. Even a slight lifting or lowering of the lens results in distortion.
    8. Aliasing and texture flickering is much more distracting in the O+. I suppose it's because of the clearer image. Hangars in Elite Dangerous are really bothersome for me for example. 
    So yea, I am happy to have the O+ and it gets me excited for the possiblities of upcoming headsets but I don't think this one is good enough to stand on its own as the definitive VR headset you should buy. 

    Also here's some comparison shots from MRTV showing how much more crisp the O+ looks when performance isn't an issue. 


    Same Pic zoomed in - 


    And VS pimax & Vive Pro



    As you can see, the Odyssey+ is able to give a great image when performance isn't a factor. I might just need to find me a 1080Ti to push it harder. 

    *Edit* added comment about controllers and also point 8 about aliasing. 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,750 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    Thanks for sharing - personally Oculus just needs to use the Odyssey+ display in the CV2 (or better) - that would be enough to make me happy, no need to change anything else  B)

    It's truly impressive that the Rift more than two years after its launch still is considered King of the VR Hill (including controllers, asw etc).
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    Thanks for sharing - personally Oculus just needs to use the Odyssey+ display in the CV2 (or better) - that would be enough to make me happy, no need to change anything else  B)

    It's truly impressive that the Rift more than two years after its launch still is considered King of the VR Hill (including controllers, asw etc).
    Yep. Or, Pimax needs to get a headset with that diffuser with some OLED's in a wide format headset. I feel like the Rift is better in everything except colors, resolution, god rays and SDE. So if that's all you care about then Odyssey wins. I never appreciated the little things like having a wider sweet spot until using the Odyssey+. You really have to get it just right to have a good experience. 
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    Played Gorn tonight when I got in from work and it honestly took me back at how much better the O+ looks in this game. I immediately went back to the Rift to compare and it's a big difference. The up close clarity and vibrant colors really stand out and look great in the O+ and the SDE of the rift is very visible among the bright colors of the game. Yea cartoony/bright games are looking like a huge win for the O+.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,706 Valuable Player
    Is the tracking good enough for the Echo games where you're often grabbing/holding something while looking away? 
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    Wildt said:
    Is the tracking good enough for the Echo games where you're often grabbing/holding something while looking away? 
    @Wildt I never got into the echo games so I wouldn't know. This came up on reddit though. Claims you get tracking for 7 full seconds before the hands lock. Probably good enough for most of echo arena i'd imagine.


    I plan to get revive going today though and Lone Echo is one i want to try.

  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    Revive was a lot simpler than I thought. I installed it, launched SteamVR and there's' a new tab in there called Revive. It pulled in my whole oculus library. Supposedly you can launch them from your desktop with the revive Dashboard and bypass SteamVR but my controllers don't track when I do that. It does say it's experimental for WMR.

    The super sampling slider for OpenVR Advanced Settings applies to the Oculus games used in Revive... This is quite convenient because I can change it from within VR. Especially when you couple it with the FPSVR app that shows you all your performance numbers by looking at your left wrist. I jumped into Lone Echo and counted how long my hand was working behind me, it's only about two seconds. Not sure where that 7 second number came from on Reddit but it's not true in Lone Echo. Lone Echo looks fantastic in this headset and so does Robo Recall for that matter. I think the O+ is winning me over more and more.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,750 Valuable Player
    Just found a few at least theoretically "professional" reviews - like:

    "While the Samsung Odyssey+ is currently the only low-cost VR headset I’d recommend (at the high end I prefer the HTC Pro), the problem with the industry still is tied to content.  I have yet to see a game that I want to play for hours, justifying the cost of this hardware.  Games pull hardware, not the other way around, and we still need some really compelling games that take this technology mainstream.  

    However, if you want VR headset that is affordable, at a quality level and you could play for hours, the Samsung HMD Odyssey+ stands out as the only one I can, right now, recommend. It is definitely good enough. 

    Rob Enderle is a principal at Enderle Group. He is an award-winning analyst and a longtime contributor to QuinStreet publications and Pund-IT."

    Source: http://www.eweek.com/reviews/samsung-s-hmd-odyssey-vr-headset-the-one-that-rules-them-all

    ***

    "Despite the flaws, the Samsung Odyssey+ is the best of the current generation VR headsets. It is a huge upgrade from Rift and Vive and still a very noticeable upgrade from Vive Pro and the Original Samsung Odyssey. Even at its original $499 price I would wholeheartedly recommend it to everyone, but at $299 it is a must-have and a no-brainer. Get it for $299 while you still can!"

    Source: https://mrtv.co/2018/11/mrtv-preliminary-samsung-odyssey-review-best-current-gen-headset-on-the-market/


    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

    "Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 971
    3Jane
    I'm always skeptical of professional reviewers because of kickbacks but I can't disagree at this point. The more I use the headset the more my eyes seem to adjust to it and like it. I hardly have blurring problems now but I do see the annoying rings from time to time. The more I switch back to Rift though the more I want to switch back to the Odyssey. For 299 it's a great deal especially if you have already have a powerful GPU that can push the Odyssey to its limits.

    One thing I've noticed is the blur varies a lot from game to game. I figure it's TAA or other antialiasing that is the cause for that. The headset naturally has a TAA blurred look to it so when you double it up with more TAA it can feel like everything is out of focus. The worst so far was Skyrim. I spent a lot of time de-blurring skyrim last night if you will and while it looks good now, especially up close, everything in the distance still doesn't look as sharp as I would want. Still a work in progress.
  • WildtWildt Posts: 1,706 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    . I jumped into Lone Echo and counted how long my hand was working behind me, it's only about two seconds. Not sure where that 7 second number came from on Reddit but it's not true in Lone Echo
    Thanks for investigating. This is a showstopper for me no doubt.
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
Sign In or Register to comment.