New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

No more Screen Door Effect (SDE) - new Samsung Odyssey+ introduces perceived 1,233 PPI level res

123457»

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Yea, SteamVR is definitely behind. Motion Smoothing is basically ASW and they just implemented it lol. It only works on the Vive/Vive Pro so far though. They Beta tested WMR headsets so I think WMR will get it in the near future. But that's what I was saying, You pretty much need a monster video card to get the most out of the O+. The only games it hands down beats the rift is colorful aesthetic games or ones that aren't designed for the Rift with clunky controls (fallout 4/DoomVFR) as well as video watching.

Once Motion Smoothing applies to WMR, we'll then be able to see a benefit to a lot more games.
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 554
    Neo
    edited December 2018
    proth309: Are you using DynoDOLOD yet? I've been doing some reading and haven't gotten this done on my system yet. It apparently makes the game look even more incredible for distant objects based on what mods one is using and the settings one chooses, I'm just not there yet with the time to want to try it yet. I will soon though.

I'm kind of at the point where even though the O+ has the better screen, FOV, etc... I'm going to stick to playing Skyrim VR on the Rift due to the huge amount of performance headroom still available even when you mod the snot out of it. The O+ having to rely on sh*tty Steam VR, WMR sucks all the performance headroom available. Until either Steam VR smartens up or OpenOVR becomes available for use on WMR I have to say heavy modding on the O+ is not fully doable yet do to performance reasons (that coming from a 1080ti OC'd + 8700k OC'd). To get O+ looking anywhere near the Rift one has to SS the Sh*t out of it which also sucks any performance headroom available for demanding mods.

I even went as far as dropping the Steam VR SS to the equivalent of the Rift for running the O+ but the fps still sucked, and the visuals looked horrible. Steam VR just sucks, Oculus software shows how far ahead it is performance comparing. I'm really looking forward to what Oculus will be offering in the future, just because of their software. The software is what will keep me using their product...unless anyone else can prove they can do the same or better, I'm doubtful though.
    ^^I have two VR headsets, i use the Dell Visor for Steam VR racing games because i get no performence issues and get 90fps with plenty of room to spare, if i try and use the Rift on steam VR racing games i have no option but to disable AWS and lock to 45fps or i get stutter and massive rubber banding, but this only seems to be a issue in racing and driving games, that issue were you slow down and speed up while driving, but on games like AZ Sunshine, Superhot, Ultrawings or ED it is all smooth sailing on the rift as well, but i have never been able to fathom out what is causing it, so i just gave up and bought the Dell visor, and it all worked out, but i hope at some point in the future one headset will be able to do it all, well i hope so for the sake of my wallet. lol
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,371
    Project 2501
    edited December 2018
    OmegaM4N said:
    proth309: Are you using DynoDOLOD yet? I've been doing some reading and haven't gotten this done on my system yet. It apparently makes the game look even more incredible for distant objects based on what mods one is using and the settings one chooses, I'm just not there yet with the time to want to try it yet. I will soon though.

I'm kind of at the point where even though the O+ has the better screen, FOV, etc... I'm going to stick to playing Skyrim VR on the Rift due to the huge amount of performance headroom still available even when you mod the snot out of it. The O+ having to rely on sh*tty Steam VR, WMR sucks all the performance headroom available. Until either Steam VR smartens up or OpenOVR becomes available for use on WMR I have to say heavy modding on the O+ is not fully doable yet do to performance reasons (that coming from a 1080ti OC'd + 8700k OC'd). To get O+ looking anywhere near the Rift one has to SS the Sh*t out of it which also sucks any performance headroom available for demanding mods.

I even went as far as dropping the Steam VR SS to the equivalent of the Rift for running the O+ but the fps still sucked, and the visuals looked horrible. Steam VR just sucks, Oculus software shows how far ahead it is performance comparing. I'm really looking forward to what Oculus will be offering in the future, just because of their software. The software is what will keep me using their product...unless anyone else can prove they can do the same or better, I'm doubtful though.
    ^^I have two VR headsets, i use the Dell Visor for Steam VR racing games because i get no performence issues and get 90fps with plenty of room to spare, if i try and use the Rift on steam VR racing games i have no option but to disable AWS and lock to 45fps or i get stutter and massive rubber banding, but this only seems to be a issue in racing and driving games, that issue were you slow down and speed up while driving, but on games like AZ Sunshine, Superhot, Ultrawings or ED it is all smooth sailing on the rift as well, but i have never been able to fathom out what is causing it, so i just gave up and bought the Dell visor, and it all worked out, but i hope at some point in the future one headset will be able to do it all, well i hope so for the sake of my wallet. lol
    I have both of those headsets and there is no way my Dell WMR performs better than my Rift with flight sims like x-plane 11 or racing sims like Assetto Corsa.  For xp11 I turn ASW off (using ctrl+numeric 1 keys) and for AC I just leave it on auto (default, or you can select with ctrl+num4).  I can achieve 90fps with AC with slightly higher SS settings with the Rift (say 1.3 w/rift, 1.0 with Dell).  

If you need to lock 45fps with AC I think you have a settings problem, either SteamVR or in-game, or nvidia CP maybe).  Also check that you are not doubling up on SS settings with either OTT or ODT.  With slightly higher SS my rift looks as good as the Dell but I will admit that colours and contrast look slightly better with the Dell.

I am now back to just using the Rift and my Dell headset is back in it's box.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 221
    Nexus 6
    For anyone experiencing problems running Steam VR games with the Rift, definitely try the OpenComposite software. As already stated before and in other threads, OpenComposite gives Rift users the ability to run Steam games without Steam VR running. For me, I found the performance gain incredible, but it depends on if a game will run with it. Check it out.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
    Neo
    TomCgcmfc said:
    OmegaM4N said:

I have both of those headsets and there is no way my Dell WMR performs better than my Rift with flight sims like x-plane 11 or racing sims like Assetto Corsa.  For xp11 I turn ASW off (using ctrl+numeric 1 keys) and for AC I just leave it on auto (default, or you can select with ctrl+num4).  I can achieve 90fps with AC with slightly higher SS settings with the Rift (say 1.3 w/rift, 1.0 with Dell).  

If you need to lock 45fps with AC I think you have a settings problem, either SteamVR or in-game, or nvidia CP maybe).  Also check that you are not doubling up on SS settings with either OTT or ODT.  With slightly higher SS my rift looks as good as the Dell but I will admit that colours and contrast look slightly better with the Dell.

I am now back to just using the Rift and my Dell headset is back in it's box.
    My VR driving on steam is purely Euro truck sim 2 and American truck sim, they are my go to VR driving games, love them to bits, but they are complete pigs with the rift, and i have never found out why, yet on the Dell visor they run as smooth as butter, and of course i like the fact you can actually read the all the dials in the cab, something the rift has you straining to do, even if you change their colour the rift is still very hard to read, same in ED, but the bump in res from the Dell allows you to actual read them, but apart from those games the Rift runs all other steam VR game i have fine, A sunshine, Ultrawings, Beat saber, superhot vr, Lunar flight.......all good.

Now if only they would make Train simulator VR then i would be in vr heaven. :)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,371
    Project 2501
    edited December 2018
    Man those old dx9 truck sims are not really designed for VR.  I see you can mod them to work though.  Good job getting them to work with either headset.  Well done!

edit; actually I think WMR headsets have More bits and often  seem to render older games better than the Rift.  Like night sky color banding.  Most up to date developer can work around this but many are just too lazy to do this imho.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

Neo
    edited December 2018
    ^^Both ETS 2 and ATS have workshop support and the mods for them are just fantastic, and all done with just the press of a button and in-game to install, just fantastic, and the last update this week has added VR support for the Rift latest SDK version to both ETS2 and ATS, not bad for just one guy working on VR support for this game over at SCS software, but that did not fix the weird performence issue with the rift that means i have to always disable AWS and limit to 45 fps, although after having tried it of late it seems to actually be a lot smoother even when locked at 45fps, although it is still like sticking forks in my eyes trying to read any of the dials in cab. lol

Oh and let me just say of the latest Rift update has made me fall in love with the rift all over again, loving the virtual desktop feature, just fantastic, and i am doing my bit to make sure VR make it this time, i have three VR headsets, so if it fails again then you lot all to blame this time. ;)

But on a positive we are getting their, vr is coming along nicely, i suspect 2/3 years from now new Vr headsets will make the present ones look like bear skins and stone axes. lol

Onwards and upwards. ;)
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 583
    Trinity
    turn off anti aliasing to speed up the fps.
    Neo
    AA is not the issue because with the Dell visor i can runs with no issues buttery smooth on almost ultra settings, it's a similar issue with Dirt Rally with the Rift same issue with AWS kicking in when the game drops below 90fps, then you get that speed up slow down affect,  so i am of the opinion that this is either being caused by the rift software running in the background or Steam VR and Oculus VR is having some issues with each other, i don't know what, but the AWS tool does help somewhat, although nothing helps with the dial and reading issue, even SS does not solve that, only thing that solved it was the Dells higher screen res........but it's apples and oranges, it's all minor stuff that i have managed to negate so far. ;)
    Nexus 6
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea, SteamVR is definitely behind. Motion Smoothing is basically ASW and they just implemented it lol. It only works on the Vive/Vive Pro so far though. They Beta tested WMR headsets so I think WMR will get it in the near future. But that's what I was saying, You pretty much need a monster video card to get the most out of the O+. The only games it hands down beats the rift is colorful aesthetic games or ones that aren't designed for the Rift with clunky controls (fallout 4/DoomVFR) as well as video watching.

Once Motion Smoothing applies to WMR, we'll then be able to see a benefit to a lot more games.

Yes, any kind of ASW is definitely needed for the O+.

I've also been doing quite a bit of research on mixed reality VR and my findings are that any kind of SS whether it being applied through Steam VR or OpenVR advanced, mixed reality software...etc is not having any effect in the O+ for the most part. Some Steam games will take the applied SS but the majority just ignore the settings, due to internal SS (per game) that takes priority most of the time. Countless O+ users have confirmed this in their findings. Plus, any successfully applied SS doesn't seem to be as dramatic as it is on the Rift platform. I sure hope this changes as I want total control over what I can do with the games I play on the O+. I'm glad the Rift is not locked down like this.
    i7 8700k @ 5ghz, Asus Rog Strix Z370-E Gaming, MSI 1080ti Gaming X @ 2050Ghz + 11.4Ghz ram, 32 GB Corsair Veng DDR4 2666 Ghz, Adata SX900 SSD, 1TB M.2 SSD, Adata Su800 SSD, Adata SU650 SSD, BarraCuda 2TB HD, Oculus Rift, Odyssey Plus, Windows 10 Pro 1903
    "Presently developing a VR project (outside of my profession) due to the lack of availability of what I would like to experience" Details in a year or two...
  • oldgamergazzaoldgamergazza Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    I have had my Odyssey+ for a few days now, I actually feel its a leap ahead of the CV1 that I had for a year, I find it more comfortable than the rift and the visual quality for me is a huge improvement on the CV1, vibrant colours, real blacks, all my games (racing sims) are on Steam and without the Oculus software installed every game runs smoothly at mostly 90fps (i77700K RTX2080) .  Its not perfect for me I can see concentric rings and the headphones dont have the Bass of the CV1 but may be able to sort this with new earpad covers, but overall with the hardware as it is at the moment and without having to spend more money on video cards to run more capable HMDs I am very happy.
  • AussieStigAussieStig Posts: 233
    Nexus 6
    I have had my Odyssey+ for a few days now, I actually feel its a leap ahead of the CV1 that I had for a year, I find it more comfortable than the rift and the visual quality for me is a huge improvement on the CV1, vibrant colours, real blacks, all my games (racing sims) are on Steam and without the Oculus software installed every game runs smoothly at mostly 90fps (i77700K RTX2080) .  Its not perfect for me I can see concentric rings and the headphones dont have the Bass of the CV1 but may be able to sort this with new earpad covers, but overall with the hardware as it is at the moment and without having to spend more money on video cards to run more capable HMDs I am very happy.
    Hey mate, may I ask if you have a motion rig as well? I am curious to know if the Odyssey has tracking issues when on a very bumpy circuit. If anyone else reads this and has experience with the HMD and a motion platform, please feel free to comment. Cheers, AussieStig
  • oldgamergazzaoldgamergazza Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    Hey mate, may I ask if you have a motion rig as well? I am curious to know if the Odyssey has tracking issues when on a very bumpy circuit. If anyone else reads this and has experience with the HMD and a motion platform, please feel free to comment. Cheers, AussieStig

No no motion rig, would love one:)
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,441 Valuable Player
    Seems like something new is brewing in the darkest depths of the Borg factory, unrestricted FOV with no HammerHead Shark Design  :open_mouth:

Source: https://www.patentlymobile.com/2019/01/samsung-invents-next-gen-gear-vr-headset-that-provides-a-curved-display-for-a-more-natural-field-of-view-and-more.html

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    Nexus 6
    Kind of looks like Geordi's visor from Star Trek Next Gen...LOL!!!

Image result for star trek next generation geordi

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,744 Valuable Player
    I think 5 years from now we will see some great things in VR tech.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i9 9900K CPU, 16 GB DDR 4 RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    edited March 12
    OmegaM4N said:
    "but i hope at some point in the future one headset will be able to do it all, well i hope so for the sake of my wallet. lol"

Hi, the answer is Vive Pro. Cleaner gauges, higher res without knocking the performance in the dirt... coupled with the wireless adapter, its simply almost too much :) Cutting the cord is a HUGE boon.

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited March 12
    Evileyes said:
    OmegaM4N said:
    "but i hope at some point in the future one headset will be able to do it all, well i hope so for the sake of my wallet. lol"

Hi, the answer is Vive Pro. Cleaner gauges, higher res without knocking the performance in the dirt... coupled with the wireless adapter, its simply almost too much :) Cutting the cord is a HUGE boon.

So he mentioned his concerns about saving his wallet and your remedy is the Vive Pro? 

On a serious note, we should get headsets on par with the Vive Pro soon at a much lower cost. 
  • EvileyesEvileyes Posts: 345
    Trinity
    pyroth309 said:
    Evileyes said:
    OmegaM4N said:

So he mentioned his concerns about saving his wallet and your remedy is the Vive Pro? 

On a serious note, we should get headsets on par with the Vive Pro soon at a much lower cost. 

I was focusing on one headset to do it all.  It all depends out serious you are about VR if you're willing to spend the money to do it right. Its up to him if its worth it, I'm just pointing the way. I had a feeling someone would mention that... and you're that guy.

• Tobias_ClarenTobias_Claren Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    Hello.

What kind of material is this (Anti SDE Filter in Odissey+)?
    Where could I buy anti-SDE filter? Is this an "industrial product"? Can anyone buy that?
    E.g. at Farnell (but without buying large quantities)?
    Or I have to buy "anti-glare"? Possibly by using 2, 3 or 4 layers of it.
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 641
    Neo
    Hello.

What kind of material is this (Anti SDE Filter in Odissey+)?
    Where could I buy anti-SDE filter? Is this an "industrial product"? Can anyone buy that?
    E.g. at Farnell (but without buying large quantities)?
    Or I have to buy "anti-glare"? Possibly by using 2, 3 or 4 layers of it.
    To my understanding, it's software based, like an actual filter being applied. It softens the picture though.