System keeps randomly lagging then it thinks play area is 2 meters away from me — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

System keeps randomly lagging then it thinks play area is 2 meters away from me

ZubiFettZubiFett Posts: 18
NerveGear
Hi all,

I have been this issue since I changed the setup of my 2 sensors (I just ordered a 3th one hoping to fix this). 

I have one sensor on the front - left at a high position and the second right - down at ground level, I do this to achieve 360 tracking:

It works very well until it randomly starts lagging, it always seems to struggle to understand where the play area is. Often you can see the guardian system moving from one place to another, other times one of my hands moves 2 meters away from me.

After three or four of these "events" the guardian system gets fixated 2 meters away from me along with the play area. To undo this I always have to re-do my sensor setup. A couple of months ago it permanently got fixated like that and I had to contact support to get it fix (we had to remove the drivers and every single Oculus file from the system).

What I find to be a bit weird is that this issue seems to be software related. Because when the system thinks that my play area is two meters away from me it still tracks me perfectly... but of course, it is unplayable because I'm always in a weird place within any games menu + the guardian system won't work.

Did anyone experience anything similar? Did you manage to fix it?

The extensions I use for the cables are all VR compatible, I personally do not think they are at fault.

Kind regards,

Zubi

Comments

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 453
    Trinity
    Hey there,
    The first thing I would try is cover the mirror. The tracking system uses IR light, so a mirror surface can screw it up.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,110
    Wintermute
    edited October 2018
    I had a reflection problem with a window in my previous home and had to move one sensor to not let it view the glass. This big mirror could be effectively the problem here. I suggest to run the free Oculus apps "Sensor Bounds" (check the store) as you possibly "see" the problem here when it happen.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• ZubiFettZubiFett Posts: 18
    NerveGear
    Hi!

I just done that and while is too early to claim victory, absolutely no lags for about 2 hours. I'm feeling confident this is the issue.

I'll come back to edit this post with an update. Thank you for the help! I never thought of the glass.

Regards,

Zubi