New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Is it still worth picking up a Rift or should i wait until Quest or Rift 2?

Hi, I'm really looking to get into the VR community and pick up my first system but I'm unsure which one to hold my money for. I have a perfectly optimized gaming pc which could handle VR very well. I'm not too sure whether I should get the Rift now, or wait for a quest or rift 2 as they are fairly far away. I am reluctant with the quest as I know it uses the same processor as phones do and the library of games will take time to build up, but I assume when Rift 2 gets announced at oc6, it will have some sort of untethered ability like the quest, but with more power of the PC. If anyone with good knowledge of these systems or have experienced the quest help me out?

Comments

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,075 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    rift 2 is going to be a while away yet.  You say you already have a capable PC so i would suggest a proper high end PC VR hmd is the way to go. for me that would be the rift, however if you are feeling flush you could wait till after xmas and get a pimax 5/8k i suppose.

again if it were me i would not consider a vive.... but a vive pro could be worth a look too..... but as i said, the rift would be / was my choice and i never regretted it.

there are also windows HMDs however i know little about them.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,116 Valuable Player
    I'd say you should get a Rift now because you have a VR Ready PC. The CV2 won't be released until 2020, some people are even speculating 2022 (but I think that's unlikely myself).

I also wouldn't hold too much hope for the CV2 being wireless either, wireless technology is ALWAYS going to be behind display and optics technologies so will struggle to handle the increased bandwidth needed for wireless VR with a higher resolution and higher FOV.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 470
    Trinity
    Hey there,
    As people above me, I suggest you get a Rift. The CV2 won't be here for a while (the first gen has been released for barely 3 years), but since you already have the most expensive piece for VR (= the powerful PC), you should just go for PC VR.
    Quality-wise, the Rift has the best controllers, but the Vive Pro and Samsung Odyssey have better screens. I wouldn't even bother to check the Pimax as the tests show it can barely run even with a 1080 Ti and it has a lot of other issues (at least for now).

Personally, I would choose either the Rift or the Samsung Odyssey (the Vive Pro is waaaay too expensive for what it's worth). And as a Rift user, of course I would suggest the Rift a bit more ^^.
    That said it seems the Samsung headset is going to have a new version, without any "screendoor effect". It should be released in a few months, so it may be worth waiting for it.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • IamRuutsIamRuuts Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    Not even up for debate.  Get it now, so many games you are currently missing out on....pull the trigger, you won't regret it!
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,466
    Project 2501
    If you want a stable VR system with good support get a Rift.  Stay away from Windows Mixed Reality.  It's buggy and support is very poor imho.  I switched over from a WMR headset (Dell) +6 months ago.  This was the best VR thing I have ever done.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• JustVertigoJustVertigo Posts: 7
    NerveGear
    wow, thanks guys really put confidence into buying the rift. but what're your thoughts on the Oculus quest compared to just buying the rift now?
    Project 2501
    The Quest is still 6 months away.  I’ll probably buy one to upgrade my Oculus Go mobile VR.  If you already have a good VR-ready pc the Rift will give you s lot better VR experience imho.  What are your pc specs btw?

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors. Vive Cosmos, currently work in progress.

• Marc-GMarc-G Posts: 58
    Hiro Protagonist
    If you have the money I'd suggest a Vive Pro over a Rift, that's what I would do now whilst waiting for Gen2. But it is pricey so then the choice is Rift CV1 or Vive but right now with the issues surrounding v1.31 update I'd definitely favour the Vive.
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    The Quest is still 6 months away.  I’ll probably buy one to upgrade my Oculus Go mobile VR.  If you already have a good VR-ready pc the Rift will give you s lot better VR experience imho.  What are your pc specs btw?

I have 8GB Ram, GTX 1070 and Intel i7-7700K at 4.2GHz. You mention having the quest as it should be treated as a separate console to the rift, similar to having a Nintendo Switch and a PS4 or XBO. Is it worth treating them as 2 separate devices that could be worth getting both if purchases crossover, which is a genuine possibility for me as I never thought a picking up both?
    NerveGear
    Marc-G said:
    If you have the money I'd suggest a Vive Pro over a Rift, that's what I would do now whilst waiting for Gen2. But it is pricey so then the choice is Rift CV1 or Vive but right now with the issues surrounding v1.31 update I'd definitely favour the Vive.
    I had a large consider about which company to go down, but I do like Oculus' UI and Core 2.0 more rather than the generic SteamVR. Plus a used but good condition Rift is about £250-300 whereas a used Pro or Vive is around £400-600
  • dburnedburne Posts: 2,779 Valuable Player
    Rift is currently very hard to beat.
    Been running mine since Jan of 2017, and the thing has been rock solid the whole time.
    Touch Controllers along with tracking are fantastic.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,756 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:

I have 8GB Ram, GTX 1070 and Intel i7-7700K at 4.2GHz. You mention having the quest as it should be treated as a separate console to the rift, similar to having a Nintendo Switch and a PS4 or XBO. Is it worth treating them as 2 separate devices that could be worth getting both if purchases crossover, which is a genuine possibility for me as I never thought a picking up both?

Rift is a perfect match for your system, you won't find anything better. The VR games are truly unmatched on the Rift - this is what you get - only on the Rift:

Even those videos don't really capture the true awesomeness of the Rift - you simply can't do that in a 2D video. I wouldn't worry about the Quest for now - it's no match for the Rift. Get the Rift - and then you can start to consider upgrading to 16GB ram.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    NerveGear
    RuneSR2 said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Rift is a perfect match for your system, you won't find anything better. The VR games are truly unmatched on the Rift - this is what you get - only on the Rift:

Even those videos don't really capture the true awesomeness of the Rift - you simply can't do that in a 2D video. I wouldn't worry about the Quest for now - it's no match for the Rift. Get the Rift - and then you can start to consider upgrading to 16GB ram.
    Yeah definitely looks cool. One more concern though, My VR space for my room is about 2.6m x 1m, whereas my living room is at least triple that. Bringing the PC up and down is a pain but is my room space enough?
    edited October 2018
    Yeah definitely looks cool. One more concern though, My VR space for my room is about 2.6m x 1m, whereas my living room is at least triple that. Bringing the PC up and down is a pain but is my room space enough?

Another advantage of the Rift is that it's designed to work well when using limited play spaces, but 1m is definitely on the slim side. 2.6m will let you stretch your arms just fine. Most games can be played either sitting or standing, and you're not supposed to take long walks in VR. If your play space doesn't work well with Rift, chances are it'll work worse with other high-end HMDs. Note that if you have a bed or couch in the room, and the 1m is plus the furniture - then you have much more space for your arms - just remember not to walk ;-)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

edited October 2018
    Marc-G said:
    I had a large consider about which company to go down, but I do like Oculus' UI and Core 2.0 more rather than the generic SteamVR. Plus a used but good condition Rift is about £250-300 whereas a used Pro or Vive is around £400-600
    i wouldnt buy any of em 2nd hand .  vive wands have a tendancy to fail and cost a fortune to replace and the rift has its own possible issues too (eg the integrated headphones)
    also you wont get all the free games if you go 2nd hand, and you really want robo recall.

edit.... 1m depth to your play space tho... that kind of sucks. will be ok for many games but not all.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    NerveGear
    Marc-G said:
    i wouldnt buy any of em 2nd hand .  vive wands have a tendancy to fail and cost a fortune to replace and the rift has its own possible issues too (eg the integrated headphones)
    also you wont get all the free games if you go 2nd hand, and you really want robo recall.

edit.... 1m depth to your play space tho... that kind of sucks. will be ok for many games but not all.
    That is true but isn't it much cheaper to buy a game like Robo Recall separately with a 2nd hand, rather than adding £100 to the whole initial package? (btw including my arm space over furniture, the vr space in the room is about 2x3m)
    Marc-G said:

That is true but isn't it much cheaper to buy a game like Robo Recall separately with a 2nd hand, rather than adding £100 to the whole initial package? (btw including my arm space over furniture, the vr space in the room is about 2x3m)

2x3m is fine - my play space isn't much bigger (maybe 2.5x3m). I have a couch in the room too, works great when you need to sit down in games like Moss or to watch movies etc. 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,116 Valuable Player
    Get a Rift, move your PC downstairs and keep it there. Tell the missus that you're wearing the trousers and if she doesn't like it then she can move out of the house. :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Marc-G said:

Rift has at its cheapest been £350 iirc. Personally me I would take brand new with 2 year warranty and the free games over 2nd hand , fewer games  no warranty and not knowing the history of the hmd.
    But to each their own that is what I would do, it does not mean that is the right fit for you.
    (Maybe I am more cautious that I would have been but my right ear piece broke at the weekend and I am a few months out of warranty
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 190
    Art3mis
    Tell her you need both. 
    NerveGear
    Is it worth getting both??
    Project 2501
    edited October 2018

If the Quest is as good as it looks on early pre-production youtube vids (search YT for these) I think it will be worth having both.  I really love my Rift but for quick VR fixes and watching media my Oculus Go is very handy.  I see the Quest as an upgrade to my Go, nothing more, and certainly not as a replacement for my Rift.

If you are serious about getting into good VR now, and you seem to already have a good enough PC, I suggest you buy the Rift now.  If you are really not sure then don't buy anything now.  The Quest won't be out for about 6 months so nothing to decide about until it is available.  Pretty simple imho.

Your ongoing questions seem to indicate that you are not doing enough research yourself, or you may be being a little trollish imho.  Hope I'm wrong, and sorry if I am btw.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,248
    Wintermute
    I would recommend buying Rift this Christmas when discounts come out and hopefully price will drop to £299.

Rift CV1 is amazing!
    UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 190
    Art3mis
      Assuming you'll love VR as I do, yes you will want both. You'll certainly want the CV1 since you have the PC to run it.