New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

TechCrunch is reporting that the Rift 2 has been CANCELLED as Brendan Iribe leaves Oculus.

DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
3Jane
edited October 2018 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
The title says it all. Here's the article and the quote.

https://techcrunch.com/2018/10/22/oculus-co-founder-is-leaving-facebook-after-cancellation-of-rift-2-headset/
"Iribe is leaving Facebook  following some internal shake-ups at the company’s virtual reality arm last week that saw the cancellation of the company’s next generation “Rift 2” PC-powered virtual reality headset which he had been leading development of, a source close to the matter tell TechCrunch."

Can we get a confirmation or denial of this from Oculus officially?

Update:

https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/oculus-co-founder-brendan-iribe-is-leaving-facebook-1202988298/
"Facebook denied a Techcrunch report that the departure was prompted by a corporate decision to cancel plans for a second-generation Oculus Rift headset."

"There are some indications that the departure wasn’t completely amicable. Techcrunch reported Monday that Facebook decided to cancel plans for a PC-powered Rift 2 headset that Iribe’s group had been working on, prompting him to throw the towel. Facebook subsequently denied this report, with a spokesperson telling Variety
: “Yes, we are planning a future version of Rift.”"

Update 2:

Lucas Matney of TechCrunch has doubled-down on the cancellation rumor, suggesting that Oculus has cancelled the variation of the CV2 that is currently under development, but also concedes that there may still be a CV2 in the future.

Update 3:

Nate Mitchell has chimed in, stating clearly that the Rift/PC platform is still in the works, but he doesn't give any clarification on possible changes to their business strategy therein.

Comments

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute
    This better not be true !

Be good, die great !
  • dburnedburne Posts: 3,517 Valuable Player
    Oh no, please say it ain't so!
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 510
    Neo
    This better be fake news!
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
    Yeah no kidding - this would be a major big time disappointment to me if it is true.

Certainly not sounding so good.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 489
    Trinity
    Doesn't look to be.... but I don't see anywhere where it says the next gen rift being cancelled ?
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,201
    Wintermute

Every part of VR and AR needs to improve, especially the hardware and core technology, and Oculus has the best team in the world to do that. Although we’re still far from delivering the magical smart glasses we all dream about, now they are nearly within our reach.
    Seems like cv2 is still being developed. Or am I misreading this article ?

Be good, die great !
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,483 Valuable Player
    It's clickbait. Nothing official, no named sources.

Zuckerberg isn't going to confirm that the CV2 is coming a month ago only to cancel it a few weeks later.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    If this turns out to be accurate ( sincerely hoping not ), I will be like:
    "Bye Felecia"
    Don

• ParadiseDecayParadiseDecay Posts: 510
    Neo
    Fake news according to Variety Mag.
    ☆ YouTube 'Content Creator' and 'Steam Curator' ( https://www.youtube.com/user/ParadiseDecay ) ☆ Devs! I'm always on the look out for new and interesting VR experiences! ☆ Oculus Rift CV1 ☆ Windows 10, 64 bit ☆ Intel Core i7-3770 ☆ 16.0GB Ram ☆ GeForce GTX 1060
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
    3Jane
    Fake news according to Variety Mag.
    Hope so. Link to the article?
  • KarlroeKarlroe Posts: 5
    Brain Burst
    edited October 2018
    Facebook denied a Techcrunch report that the departure was prompted by a corporate decision to cancel plans for a second-generation Oculus Rift headset. https://variety.com/2018/digital/news/oculus-co-founder-brendan-iribe-is-leaving-facebook-1202988298/
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    People are having a meltdown over at the Oculus reddit. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    OMG :) we just got official confirmation of CV2. 
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 5,423 Volunteer Moderator
    edited October 2018
    I had read the Techcrunch article earlier--I'm glad to read that Facebook directly addressed the Rift 2 cancellation rumour.
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
  • DeadlyJoeDeadlyJoe Posts: 776
    3Jane
    I'd still like direct confirmation. Just so I can sleep tonight.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,774 Volunteer Moderator
    I think what happened was they either cut his funding or said that they won't release a CV2 in 2019 as not to compete with the quest. Perhaps the current version of CV has been cancelled, but there will be one at some point in the future.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 489
    Trinity
    I think what happened was they either cut his funding or said that they won't release a CV2 in 2019 as not to compete with the quest. Perhaps the current version of CV has been cancelled, but there will be one at some point in the future.
    Which IMO is cool ...im happy to wait for 2 reasons the product should be better and not rushed to market causing all of us no pain with niggly updates ...plus it gives me a chance to save up for it ...everyone wins
    edited October 2018
    Yeah I am starting to smell a s%#t storm a brewing over this.
    As I am currently gathering parts for a new monster rig build, I sure hope a next gen Rift is still in the pipeline.
    Don

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 7,016 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    Well it has to be bull shite because what would happen regarding the games we purchased from the PC Oculus Store if there was any truth to it? Would we just get refunded for all the games we purchased :)
  • nosys70nosys70 Posts: 466
    Art3mis
    edited October 2018

it cost probably less to facebook to purchase pimax than continuing developping old technology.

or they will simply slap the samsung filter doubler to the CV1 and say "look Ma , new CV2, twice better !"

So, there will be a CV2, but not the one Iribe is working on , so why he is upset to be replaced by cheap asian technology.

• TaintFistTaintFist Posts: 180
    Art3mis
    I have been drooling and dreaming about the 140 degree view for a while now, I was getting ready to push the lose my shit button, I'll wait until the dust settles and we find out if the sky is really falling.
    Image result for lose shit button

• przecinekprzecinek Posts: 596
    Nexus 6
    dburne said:
    Yeah I am starting to smell a s%#t storm a brewing over this.
    As I am currently gathering parts for a new monster rig build, I sure hope a next gen Rift is still in the pipeline.
    My feelings exactly. Now only Nate remains from the original trio.. and whatever vision Iribe had for PC VR we know now for a fact that it will not come to pass and that already is enough to cause a significant ferment in the community even if PCVR is going to stay supported somehow.

What vision Iribe had for Rift 2? We might never know but it I'm pretty sure it wasn't a low spec, low cost one. I'm a DK1 supporter and find these news worrying with signs that there's more bad news to come (for PCVR enthusiasts).

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    Hmmmmm can't say I am happy about this either way. Gonna wait till the dust settles (it's not like the 5k will be out for a bit yet anyway) but I dunno. Am regretting getting my 1080ti now. If CV2 is not coming to 2022 I am thinking I should consider jumping ship but if so perhaps I should have kept my 2080ti order.

Like I said, I will wait and see
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 6,407 Volunteer Moderator
    Nate on Twitter:
    A lot of questions today about the future of Rift — we're still driving forward on the Rift/PC platform with new hardware, software, and content. Lots of great stuff in the works. More to share in the months ahead.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,153 Valuable Player
    Maybe a silver lining in this is it may force oculus' hand a bit to officially give proper CV2 info sooner than initially planned
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • shadowfroggershadowfrogger Posts: 502
    Trinity
    Yeah, this news sucks.  Obviously there will be a rift 2, and it will still probably be the best on the market but it's very discouraging as it seems Iribe was having serious differences in the way Oculus want to take or reduce the PCVR division.  At the end of the day, I'm more inclined to believe Iribe had more similar views closer to most in this community rather then whatever Oculus has decided for the future of PCVR.  I guess it just costs so much to get the VR market started.

Visit my amateur homegrown indie game company website!
    http://www.gaming-disorder.com/
  • fish998fish998 Posts: 12
    NerveGear
    That's not exactly a denial from FB.  They're just saying there's gonna be another Rift, but reading between the lines the focus looks to have changed from high-end to budget.  It's a disappointing day if you were looking to Oculus to push VR forward in terms of quality anytime soon.

I guess the flipside is a budget Rift 2 could sell better than a high-end Rift 2, and thus keep FB interested in PC VR and eventually lead to more investment in the future.
    Time will tell.
    I think they need to get in front of this and start sharing some more concrete info on their plans, or they are going to start to lose some PC-VR enthusiasts.
    Don

• RichooalRichooal Posts: 1,607 Valuable Player
    If you want to be a leader in the VR field, and produce the best available VR hardware, you need hardware grunt.

PC's will provide the power to push VR limits.

Stand alone headsets can't do it. (yet).
    i5 6600k - GTX1060 - 8GB RAM - Rift CV1 + 3 Senors - 0 PROBLEMS 1 minor problem
    Dear Oculus, "If it ain't broke, don't fix it", please.

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,667 Valuable Player
    Well to be honest I'm not surprised with all of the focus on mobile lately and nothing but crickets on the Rift front. Guess I'm going to start buying all games going forward on Steam.