New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

No rift 2 ?!. God no please tell me it ain't true!

inovatorinovator Posts: 1,303
Wintermute
edited October 23 in General
I love vr. I'm a big fan of the rift. I was highly disturbed that rift 2 info. was missing in action in this year's connect. I know that mark vaguely said the pc platform vr would be supported in the future but I believe the rift was not successful enough to make the rift 2 promise. It doesn't help my thinking when today it was all over the internet that the oculus cofounder left because rumors said the rift 2 at least for now was cancelled. Facebook has not denied that. But i believe rift 2 will happen but it will be much longer than anyone could have imagined. It will happen only after a tremendous leap in its tech. Much larger fov, fantastic resolution, no pixels, only built in cameras, and a very noticeable decrease in its weight.omg I may be dead by then. In the meantime the quest may be vrs savior. Oculus realizes the rift pc will never make vr a mass media. Only stand alone can do that. I wish the Quest luck! I will buy one! It's success will be a contributing factor of how much development will be put into the rift 2 and when it will come out. If there is a vr god out there please listen to me. Please vr god allow us fans to witness a fantastic and fruitful vr future. Amen 

Comments

• Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,514 Valuable Player
    Correct.  Nobody will reply to you because they've all gone to the Primarx forum.

A lot of questions today about the future of Rift — we're still driving forward on the Rift/PC platform with new hardware, software, and content. Lots of great stuff in the works. More to share in the months ahead.

https://twitter.com/natemitchell?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 346
    Trinity
    edited October 23
    No, it's not true. Facebook denied it, Zuckerberg denied it, Nate Mitchell denied it, and this information comes from only one anonymous source (nothing really trustworthy).
    There's nothing to worry, it's just bad press that spread like wildfire.
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,303
    Wintermute
    I hope your right but I still believe the tech will have to be similar to what I said above before it will be released and the Quest success will also be a deciding factor.I think it will be no sooner than 2021 but probably later.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,180 Power Poster
    edited October 23
    Whether the Quest is a success or not will not affect the CV2 launch. These things aren't launched on a whim, Zuckerberg won't cancel the release of the CV2 if the Quest doesn't sell enough. These devices have internal roadmaps and have been planned for years.

Zuckerberg doesn't wake up one morning and decide to launch the Go, or Quest. He's planned to launch three different headsets aimed at three different demographics probably before he bought Oculus.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Wintermute
    If I was a betting man I would bet the rift 2 was originally planned to be released much sooner than it will be. you could be right but I still believe what I stated. Only time will tell. 
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
     With all the advancements from R&D from all the current makers of VR, I would have to say the bar has been raised since they started development. I think the CV2 will have to have all of the higher resolution and wireless capabilities of the competitors while trying to keep retail cost lower. Not surprised at all if a few prototypes get smashed. 
     Probably not going to be a popular idea, but I think possibly Oculus should try to capture the low-end PC crowd in addition to the high-end VR stuff. Games that were optimized for Gear VR, a single camera like the DK2, controllers not included. CV2e
     I'm willing to wait for a brilliant & innovative CV2. A half-baked CV2 would be disastrous.      
  • Little.Robot.FairyLittle.Robot.Fairy Posts: 15
    NerveGear
    Correct.  Nobody will reply to you because they've all gone to the Primarx forum.
    .. what?
    Old VR PC: HP Pavillion Power,  Intel Core i5-7400, NVIDIA GTX 1060 3GB Graphics, 8 GB RAM
    New VR PC: HP Omen 880-130,    Intel Core i7-8700K, GTX 1080TI, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD

What I use VR for:
    VRChat! Also, Airtone, Beat Saber, OrbusVR, SkyrimVR and DolphinVR

Features I most want:
    1. Full Body Tracking 2. Full finger tracking 3. Haptics 4. Wireless Tracking 5. Wider FOV 6. Improved Resolution/Less Screendoor
  • worstplayerworstplayer Posts: 22
    Brain Burst

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,327 Poster of the Week

WAAAGH!
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,314
    Project 2501
    Not true.
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 580
    Nexus 6
    I already mentioned in another thread that TechCrunch is backpedaling now in a series of tweets - by saying it was only a specific internal prototype that got cancelled a that CV2 is on its way and it might even be called "Rift 2" for all they know.
     :D  :D :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 312
    Nexus 6

what the scrapped cv2 must have been like.
    przecinek said:
    I already mentioned in another thread that TechCrunch is backpedaling now in a series of tweets - by saying it was only a specific internal prototype that got cancelled a that CV2 is on its way and it might even be called "Rift 2" for all they know.

Rift 2 eh?

Mind - blown.

I suppose they got some exposure and clicks on their website.  Well done them.
    .. what?

Oh hi.  Welcome to the party.
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 580
    Nexus 6

Rift 2 eh?

Mind - blown.

I suppose they got some exposure and clicks on their website.  Well done them.
    Actually they said it can be called Rift ("have Rift in its name") for all they know so I got that confused but still my backpedaling & damage control comment stands :)

I can see them keeping the Rift name and just sticking a number after it, the same way that Sony have done with their consoles. It's quite a strong brand.

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,095 Power Poster

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,233
    3Jane
    edited November 4
    My CV1 lenses are scratched, it's cable is damaged, it's held together with sellotape, and both it's faceplate and Field Of View were always too narrow for an adult face to begin with...

So at this point I'd gladly take a CV 1.5 over purchasing a new CV1, but I was hoping an HTC Vive pro like upgrade, where you keep the sensors, controllers, PC... and could just upgrade the headset (and perhaps the GPU, to stay at 90 FPS).

If it's not a CV2, and you can't keep the CV1 sensors and controllers, then I might be better off buying a discounted CV1 then buying a half assed CV2 with downgraded tracking.

Although I think that what 90% of CV1 users want, is a fully fledged CV2, with more body tracking (legs ?) instead of less hand tracking.

Still, in my selfish case, what I want is a physically wider CV1.5 with a wider Field Of View really.
    Wintermute
    I will be happy to be free of the camera setup. For me it's a pain.I don't have the luxury of keeping a set up permanent. Even if it's not as precise I will love it. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,581
    Project 2501
    I am in the camp that I hope they stay with constellation tracking for whatever they bring out.
    Just seems to me if not it would be a downgrade in tracking. Course I guess that would remain to be seen.

But this reporting on inside out tracking is rumor at this point right?
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,314
    Project 2501
    edited November 6
    HiThere_ said:
    My CV1 lenses are scratched, it's cable is damaged, it's held together with sellotape, and both it's faceplate and Field Of View were always too narrow for an adult face to begin with...
    I am going to take this entire quote as a joke. Simply because I have sold over 75 rift bundles with not ONE person confirming such claims. Me included. You just simply have a large head....you lucky bugger you. ;)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,427 Valuable Player
    edited November 6
    i got to admit i am on the edge myself.  i have the straps as loose as they can go and it only "just" fits.
    my face plate is also falling apart at the nose however oculus have sent me a replacment so that is nice.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    dburne said:
    I am in the camp that I hope they stay with constellation tracking for whatever they bring out.
    Just seems to me if not it would be a downgrade in tracking. Course I guess that would remain to be seen.

But this reporting on inside out tracking is rumor at this point right?

Yup. An unsubstantiated rumour. Personally I think it's a load of old bollocks.

3Jane
    As far as a CV1 Pro goes, I was fine with keeping the current sensors and controllers, instead of downgrading the tracking quality with inside-out tracking, and having to buy new controllers for it (because the Touch ring is bellow the hand, instead of being above it).

But as far as expanding the Rift consumer base goes, inside-out tracking makes more sense, and adopting the same inside-out tracking volume as Quest, instead of expanding it with more cams, also makes sense.

In fact adopting Quest level graphics for the Rift also makes sense, at which point a PC tethered VR headset makes no sense : Just plug your Quest into a power supply, instead of plugging your Rift into a PC, for an identical VR experience (with extra heating available all year around for the Quest version, I guess).
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,683 Valuable Player
    edited November 6
    HiThere_ said:
    In fact adopting Quest level graphics for the Rift also makes sense, at which point a PC tethered VR headset makes no sense : Just plug your Quest into a power supply, instead of plugging your Rift into a PC, for an identical VR experience (with extra heating available all year around for the Quest version, I guess).
    Mmmm - to limit yes - but oh god no. The hardware between the two is still vast enough it would make no sense to keep them at the same level no matter what the game is. That is one of the reasons why I am ok if a dev wants to sell their game on the two different platforms while offering different content. The problem - as we see with consoles - is most programmers are a bit lazy when it comes to ports - so I do fear that will become a thing after a while. On  the plus side - at least the hardware for the mobile side of things will be force to increase their hardware performance with in a shorter time frame then what PC hardware will have to stand up against.

Granted - I do hope they make Quest have the option to be plug into your computer as it would open the doors wide open. Then make CV2 just a higher end version of that + other fanzy features. Less work and you know your hardware will be supported as a chain for the software.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,884 Valuable Player
    HiThere_ said:

I'm not sure I understand what you mean by this. How does adopting Quest level graphics for PC-VR make sense? The whole point of PC-VR is so that it can use the power of the PC, not just a power supply.. 
    3Jane
    edited November 7
    It makes financial sense for the devs to develop a single version of their VR game, the same way that doing a direct port of a console game to PC does.
    3Jane
    edited November 8
    Digikid1 said:
    HiThere_ said:
    I am going to take this entire quote as a joke. Simply because I have sold over 75 rift bundles with not ONE person confirming such claims. Me included. You just simply have a large head....you lucky bugger you. ;)
    As I said : It's over two years old.

Everyone I showed my Rift to could fit their face in, not ONE of them could fit the branches of their casual glasses in it (maybe European glasses have wider then U.S. branch fashion, I sure hate the look of my narrow VR glasses ? ).

There's a reason Oculus VR has moved on to wider faceplates : The CV1 has the most narrow high end VR headset faceplate in the world.

Getting their glasses ripped off when they took my Rift off, is how my CV1 lenses got scratched (from the very first week).

As the Rift owner I purchased a narrow pair of glasses that could fit into the faceplate (while squeezing my head), and  held back the sides of the foam with sellotape. But every glass wearer around me gave up on trying out my VR headset instead of buying a narrow pair of glasses for it.

This year the back of the headset strap peeled off, and so did some of the faceplate's foam : The glue melted during the summer heat, also sellotaped.

I finished damaging the twisted cable by stepping on it and pulling my head up, the cable's plastic casing was ripped open  : More sellotape.

But at least the left Touch controller is fine, unlike the right one... I pity it's trigger button.

My CV1 deserves to be studied, as a proof of concept on how to improve the durability of the CV2 :)