cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Eating disorders

DrKollar
Honored Guest
Does anybody know about any Oculus Rift software what I could use in treatment of Anorexia Nervosa or Obesity? I am a clinical psychologist and I could find several scientific articles on this subject but none of them mention the name of the software they used.
10 REPLIES 10

TaintFist
Heroic Explorer
Not really sure how to respond...
So, I'll just leave this here,

Moderator edit: Removed the video, that was inappropriate and off-topic.

LZoltowski
Champion

TaintFist said:

Not really sure how to respond...
So, I'll just leave this here,

Moderator edit: Removed the video, that was inappropriate and off-topic.

I have removed that video, it was inappropriate, if you don't know how to respond, think about it and then DONT.
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

DrKollar said:

Does anybody know about any Oculus Rift software what I could use in treatment of Anorexia Nervosa or Obesity? I am a clinical psychologist and I could find several scientific articles on this subject but none of them mention the name of the software they used.

You may want to have a look at C2Care's website, they seem to offer VR products for various phobias, addictions and also eating disorders. From the youtube vid they appear to be a mixture of 3D environments and 360 videos. They may also include interactive content but I I'm just guessing. Anyway, may be worth a look.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koP0W8NAX8M

Morgrum
Expert Trustee
Well now im wondering what it was...... poot.
WAAAGH!

TwoHedWlf
Expert Trustee
I'm curious how VR software would be used to treat eating disorders?  Doesn't seem like the type of thing it would work for.

I think, amongst other things, it involves presenting the headset wearer with a VR mirror and virtual reflections of themselves based on perceived and actual weight.

I don't know about C2Care but apparently various VR studies have been done that include... 'audio stimuli in combination with visual kinematics to allow user–virtual world interaction and gradual exposure to high-calorie food stimuli associated with chewing sounds or comments on ingested foods. Also, only 1 study used visual-tactile stimulation complemented with immersive material, which included an obese patient to test the effect on her assessment of her body measurements' (from one study done on the subject).

I'd be curious as to how well this works, particularly with phobias. I imagine it could be pretty powerful therapy if done right.

kzintzi
Trustee
speaking as an arachnophobe, being subjected to giant jumping frost spiders and mechanical ones at your face doesn't make the phobia go away..

on a related note, Skyrim has spiders in it.
Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

DrKollar said:

I believe that these are all custom-proprietary software. And it looks like there is a company out there that offers something to do this in VR: Psious Toolsuite

From an article on this subject:
To do this, he uses a combination of cognitive behavioral therapy and
virtual reality to relax his patients in a peaceful setting (the beach,
for example) and educate them on anxiety. Then, he introduces
more-worrisome environments (say, a restaurant or dressing room) through
a program called PsiousToolsuite to help patients confront their
body-image issues and eating disorders.
https://www.wsj.com/articles/virtual-reality-is-being-used-to-treat-eating-disorders-1532537334

kzintzi said:

speaking as an arachnophobe, being subjected to giant jumping frost spiders and mechanical ones at your face doesn't make the phobia go away..

on a related note, Skyrim has spiders in it.

lol, yeah, that wouldn't help much!

Relaxing music and tiny little spiders... slowly building up to bird-eating hairy bastards might work (& I don't mean Alice Cooper).