New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Official Oculus Go Casting Feedback

cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,101 Oculus Staff
edited October 25 in Oculus Go
Please share your feedback for the Oculus Go casting feature. Thanks.
AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 390
    Trinity
    edited October 25
    Works great for me.  Casting to my iPhone 5s.  Nice to be able to show others what I’m seeing while VR.  Also good to monitor newbies using the Go for the first time.  Too bad it currently does not cast audio but still very useful as is imho.  Thanks Oculus!

Edit; very good idea to read the current Oculus support article on Casting beforehand imho.

https://support.oculus.com/1053142614872870/

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • fieroman1978fieroman1978 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited October 25
    I cant seem to get it to start casting.   I reconnected my oculus to the wifi and did the inintial startup pairing again. and it will now push the notification to my phone. but it just opens up the oculus app and does nothing.

*FIXED*
    I had to go into the app store and update the oculus app.  it now casts correctly.
    using a LG G7 android.
  • prineypriney Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Would a Bluetooth USB adapter connected to the oculus go headset via an otg adapter connect to a soundbox connected to my TV work for audio when casting? 
  • martiniacmartiniac Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I have the option to cast on facebook but not on my phone. If I remove facebook from the associated accounts , I can't start the casting from the go, the go ask me to associate facebook in my phone app.
  • DarcstudioUKDarcstudioUK Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Casting was working now its vanished from the menu =/
    Trinity

I just checked and it's ok on mine.  Maybe Oculus caught you casting something naughty, lol!  Just kidding.  Try a Power Off cycle and see if it comes back ok.  
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • DarcstudioUKDarcstudioUK Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    edited October 26
    TomCgcmfc said:

I just checked and it's ok on mine.  Maybe Oculus caught you casting something naughty, lol!  Just kidding.  Try a Power Off cycle and see if it comes back ok.  
    Tried a restart, also left it turned off for about 20 minutes. No casting on the menu still, seems to have just vanished. Tried to click live instead but that requires FB linking and I don't want to do that, I just want the casting option back =/

may try a factory reset n see what happens...

Factory reset was no help
  • fieroman1978fieroman1978 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    mine has also vanished. Right when I needed it for my 6yr old.lol.          I tried restarting, powering down, and its still gone for me.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,350 Volunteer Moderator
    Mine has also disappeared, I wonder if they rolled back the update because of issues.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • erickduclauderickduclaud Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    The same thing happened to me and I can not get the latest firmware version from 3.49.58 to 3.51.56, help please
  • andrew.woodberryandrew.woodberry Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Is anybody's Casting feature still available on their Oculus Go? Went to take a screenshot to include in an article for our InstaVR Go users... but "Cast" isn't an option in Sharing. :-(
  • JeffNikJeffNik Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Is anybody's Casting feature still available on their Oculus Go? Went to take a screenshot to include in an article for our InstaVR Go users... but "Cast" isn't an option in Sharing. :-(

Mine was there yesterday, and gone today.

Trinity
    Ya, here today, gone tomorrow, lol!

• JeffNikJeffNik Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 26
    Oculus giveth, and then taketh away. :'( 

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,101 Oculus Staff
    Our apologies. We're currently looking into the issue with casting not being available for some customers. Please be patient as we work to resolve this problem. Thanks.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    edited October 27
    Hi! I tried the casting feature on my Huawei PC10 lite with Android 8. The cast freezes there after 5 to 6 seconds. On an iphone it works correctly. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Anybody with the same problem?
    Trinity
    h.r.gargi said:
    Hi! I tried the casting feature on my Huawei PC10 lite with Android 8. The cast freezes there after 5 to 6 seconds. On an iphone it works correctly. I already uninstalled and reinstalled the app. Anybody with the same problem?

Wow, another 1 Post Wonder, what a surprise, lol!

• h.r.gargih.r.gargi Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    TomCgcmfc said:
    h.r.gargi said:

Wow, another 1 Post Wonder, what a surprise, lol!
    What did you mean by that? I thought this thread is for reporting problems? 
    Trinity
    Ok, the casting feature just reappeared on my Go and it seems to work fine.  I never see the cast option on my iPhone app but it still works after selecting ok to cast on a pop up menu.

• SpaceStrangerSpaceStranger Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Whoever thought it was a good idea to have a big red dot (in the middle of the screen mind you), as an indicator of casting being on.... can I have his job?....  This is not so hard people, why not move it to the lower corner and make it smaller so it doesn't get in the way of the experience (from all colors available; it had to be red, Jesus crust!).   Casting is great to navigate first timers, isn't that the goal?...

This is the first critique I get instantly from people.
    I'm sorry but I can't be nice about this.

Thank you for the update/features regardless.
  • LeonKleinBretelerLeonKleinBreteler Posts: 4
    NerveGear
    Hi, 
    The casting seems to work well. However i have some questions. Is it possible to set the resolution of the cast? It seems a bit low resolution. Also, is it possible to cast developer apps? When i start my app while casting it tells me it cant cast that app. Is that because only store apps can be cast or am i missing some settings?
    Thanks and keep up the good work!
  • Oliver2222Oliver2222 Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    It  need audio so you can hear the games
  • VRssageVRssage Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    I am an early adopter of new features and expect there will be challenges in the early days.  I do however want to report issues as they arise so that they can be addressed.  When I first tried to use Casting , it worked on my Moto Z and Google Pixel 2 phone just fine.   However when I tried casting to a new Samsung Tablet , it only cast for a few seconds and then froze.  The same thing happened when I tried casting to an LG tablet.   For what it's worth I never saw a message on my Android devices to accept casting , I entered the casting mode by clicking on the Oculus notification .    On Apple devices I do see a start casting message box.
    Today I went Apple and set up two Ipad's communicating with two Oculus Go.   It worked perfectly all morning and then it stopped. They both stopped at the same time early this afternoon and I have not been able to get any of my two  Oculus Go's to cast to any device Android or Apple.   I do not have a Facebook account nor do I want one unless it is an absolute requirement to have one.    Sometimes the GoLive and Recording in the Share tab are lit up and sometimes they aren't.  I have not been able to see a pattern as to when they do and when they don't .   Do you have a link to where we can find out if the casting service is available or not.   I understand that you are working on issues, but having a place where we can find out the status would be great.  I spent hours trying to see what I am doing wrong and have pretty much concluded that my experiences are likely the result of system issues beyond my control.   If you need a resource to test releases, I would be pleased to volunteer

Thank you 

Bruce
  • maxBrmaxBr Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    here also problems. Worked before with non-dev apps. Today its a cycle of: start casting - accept on the Iphone - then Iphone report I must accept in the GO as well?! No popup message in the GO though.... strange
  • kevinwarhaftkevinwarhaft Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    i have not gotten it yet 
    Trinity
    i have not gotten it yet 
    i have not gotten it yet 

So sad, maybe contact Oculus Support and see if they can help.

• kevinwarhaftkevinwarhaft Posts: 17
    NerveGear
    ill get it someday
    Trinity
    ill get it someday
    Maybe, but you may get it sooner if you ask Oculus support for some help.  Up to you mate.

• ThomasHThomasH Posts: 42
    Brain Burst
    h.r.gargi said:
    Yes I have the same issue with my Huawei Honor 8.
    Trinity
    edited November 4
    If your phone and router supports 5ghz wifi use that.  Much better than the standard 2.4ghz imho.