New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Oculus - Any plans to offer Virtual Link for Rift? Virtual Link Works!

dburnedburne Posts: 1,779 Valuable Player
edited October 2018 in Oculus Rift + Touch
It would be nice now that GPU's are out with Virtual Link C- ports if we had a Virtual Link cable for our headsets.
Was wondering if Oculus might offer a Virtual Link cable at some point for the Rift?
Or is this something that would just need to be built into the headset for the next gen product?
Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,845 Valuable Player
    No need for a cable. @LZoltowski has bought an adaptor and tried it out. You plug the HDMI and sensors into it and it has a USB-C cable at the other end if I'm remembering correctly.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 5,229 Volunteer Moderator
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator RELEASED.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,650 Volunteer Moderator
    I dont own it myself but I have seen many reports where a USB-C hub works perfectly, not only that but I have seen reports where The Rift HDMI, Rift USB and 2 Sensors are running off the VirtualLink port with no issues.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,779 Valuable Player
    Whooeee, thanks guys I will be all over that !
    " I got to get me one of these lol ".
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
    I dont own it myself but I have seen many reports where a USB-C hub works perfectly, not only that but I have seen reports where The Rift HDMI, Rift USB and 2 Sensors are running off the VirtualLink port with no issues.
    Do you know - is it the one Techy linked to?
    Don

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,845 Valuable Player

Oh. Maybe it was @cybereality I was thinking of? All of you mods look the same to me, greedy with POWAH!!!  :p :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    edited October 2018
    snowdog said:

Oh. Maybe it was @cybereality I was thinking of? All of you mods look the same to me, greedy with POWAH!!!  :p :D
    Maybe that was it, I had seen his link to it but never heard back if he has tried it - pretty sure he got one.
    Maybe I will go ahead and order and hope it is one that works. I really want this.

Now I just gotta find his post where he linked to the one he was going to get.
    Don

edited October 2018
    Found it, I had saved in my favorites lol.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-type-c-to-hdmi-multiport-adapter-with-power-delivery-white/5577934.p?skuId=5577934

This is the one @cybereality linked to. Think I will give this a try.

My local Best Buy shows in stock, may see if I can get down there and pick up today.

Hmm that Insignia at Best But does not have enough ports it would seem to plug in two sensors.
    Don

edited October 2018
    dburne said:
    Found it, I had saved in my favorites lol.
    https://www.bestbuy.com/site/insignia-usb-type-c-to-hdmi-multiport-adapter-with-power-delivery-white/5577934.p?skuId=5577934

This is the one @cybereality linked to. Think I will give this a try.

My local Best Buy shows in stock, may see if I can get down there and pick up today.
    Let us know how you get on. If it works as others claim, RTX upgrade makes a lot more sense for VR enthusiasts!

VirtualLink is said to be a lot more stable as it delivers much better and stable power than standard USB ports.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Don

edited October 2018
    And one more.
    Maybe I will order this one from Amazon just to give it a try, I am a Prime Member and should get it quickly.
    It has enough 3.0 ports for two sensors and hmd usb.
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07CSPWWB7?ref_=ams_ad_dp_ttl

Unless someone sees something obvious as to why it would not work?

Don

I would look for one that has 4K UHD 3840×2160 at 60Hz rather than 4K UHD 3840×2160 at 30Hz

It means that the HDMI port has more bandwidth, and the Rift needs bandwidth :)

I would look for one that has 4K UHD 3840×2160 at 60Hz rather than 4K UHD 3840×2160 at 30Hz

It means that the HDMI port has more bandwidth, and the Rift needs bandwidth :)
    Ok will do, thanks much for the info!
    Don

edited October 2018
    Don

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,368 Valuable Player
    dburne said:

I wouldn't waste my money on this. Why a VGA port and not a DVi port or DP? Who uses VGA these days?
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    Disregard, thats 30hz
    I am just not able to find 60hz at 4k.
    Maybe I will hold off a bit till I hear some concrete reports from others.
    Having no issue with my current setup, just thought it would be cool to have everything plugged into that C-port adapter.
    Don

Yeah I only see a single usb c to hdmi 4k units

Ok thanks, but that one from what I can see only has one USB 3 port.
    I would like to have one with three so I can plug in my two sensors and hmd usb all into it.
    In effect have all my Oculus connections plugged into the one device.
    If you think the 4k at 30hz device will work, I can order one and give it a try.
    I am an Amazon Prime member so can easily return if it does not.

Don

dburne said:
    I would like to have one with three so I can plug in my two sensors and hmd usb all into it.
    If you think the 4k at 30hz device will work, I can order one and give it a try.

Yeah, just wanted to update you on the 30hz thing at least, that I assumed wrong, that is all.

dburne said:

Yeah, just wanted to update you on the 30hz thing at least, that I assumed wrong, that is all.
    Ok thanks much, well I will pick one out on Amazon and should have it here early next week, will let you guys know how I make out.
    Don

I think I am confusing myself a little.
    I was taking a look at this one:

They list those C-Ports as "charging ports".
    It is my understanding the virtual link port on my 2080 Ti card will use a C-port to display the image into the Rift.
    Is that not correct? And if so, will it do so with a C-port listed as a charging port?
    Don

dburne said:
    I think I am confusing myself a little.
    I was taking a look at this one:

They list those C-Ports as "charging ports".
    It is my understanding the virtual link port on my 2080 Ti card will use a C-port to display the image into the Rift.
    Is that not correct? And if so, will it do so with a C-port listed as a charging port?

No, you plug in the hub into the VirtualLink (USBC) using the attached cable, ignore the "Charging port" it just means it allows for POWER PASSTHROUGH if you are using a laptop that also charges through the port

You would use a charging port if you had the hub plugged into the only USB-C port on your laptop that you also use for charging, its so that you can have it attached and still charge your laptop.

Ok thanks much, I will order that one I linked to and give it a try.
    Don

OK it is ordered, I should get it sometime on Tuesday - they usually come late so may be Wed before I get to try it for kicks and grins. Will advise if it works or not.
    Don

In thinking more on this HZ thing, this C-Port I ordered listing it as 4k at 30 Hz, and 1080 at 60 Hz.

Is that not going to work for at least the Rift HDMI ? I mean the Rift is 90 Hz right, so it is going to need that 90 Hz I would think.
     Course no biggy leaving it plugged into my 2080 Ti HDMI port, probably best to do this anyway I would think. Then just use the C-Port for my two sensors and headset usb.
    Don

Update:

Bingo it works!!

Very easy. Got the new C-Hub today, install was very easy.
    Plugged into my Virtual Link C-Port on my new RTX 2080 Ti.
    Got the new device notification sound.
    Device shows as Nvidia USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller
    Nvidia USB Type-C Port Policy Controller.

I have three USB 3.1 ports on this thing.
    Plugged my two sensors in.
    Plugged my Rift USB in.

Sensors and Rift USB recognized just fine, and all three showing in Oculus Home as solid green. Playing around in Oculus Home tracking appears to be great. Won't have time for any serious gaming until tomorrow sometime, but looking great!

Not going to mess with plugging the HDMI in at this time, that port on the hub is only rated at 60 Hz at 1080, so figure that probably would not be the best with the Rift being a 90Hz device. Plus my Rift HDMI is plugged into the HDMI of my GPU and running just fine there.

But the sensors and the headset USB, so far sweetness!.

Don

dburne said:
    Update:

Bingo it works!!

Very easy. Got the new C-Hub today, install was very easy.
    Plugged into my Virtual Link C-Port on my new RTX 2080 Ti.
    Got the new device notification sound.
    Device shows as Nvidia USB 3.10 eXtensible Host Controller
    Nvidia USB Type-C Port Policy Controller.

I have three USB 3.1 ports on this thing.
    Plugged my two sensors in.
    Plugged my Rift USB in.

Sensors and Rift USB recognized just fine, and all three showing in Oculus Home as solid green. Playing around in Oculus Home tracking appears to be great. Won't have time for any serious gaming until tomorrow sometime, but looking great!

Not going to mess with plugging the HDMI in at this time, that port on the hub is only rated at 60 Hz at 1080, so figure that probably would not be the best with the Rift being a 90Hz device. Plus my Rift HDMI is plugged into the HDMI of my GPU and running just fine there.

But the sensors and the headset USB, so far sweetness!.

Awesome, It won't hurt your setup to try the HDMI though, it should be easy to swap between them (although do that when the PC is off) But thanks for following up!