New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Lesser experience now with and after 1.31.0

rh_galaxyrh_galaxy Posts: 65
Hiro Protagonist
edited October 2018 in General
For me that use Oculus Home to start a game and then start the next game after exiting the first, and not really be in the Home environment and play around there (impossible with the XBox controller I use anyway? why?), this is definitely a step down. Mostly what I see is a white background with a dotted grid, and a much smaller menu/wall of interaction = less graphical. The Home environment should load and display immediately... Sometimes now it never displays and sometimes it comes lingering after 15 seconds. Unacceptable compared to before. Have a fast 1080ti system so performance should not be a cause for this.

Why is this, and why is it better then before? If not better, why not keep the old Home as an option?

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,437
    Project 2501
    edited October 2018
    Same here - after using Home 2.0 for many days/hours I have not at all adapted and definitely think Classic Home was much better for many reasons that I'm not going to repeat here.

Furthermore I've had a few instances of severe stuttering I never experienced before - doesn't always happen though - I'm wondering if it's caused by Home 2.0 being a system hog and failing to shut down fast enough when starting an app. Never happens if I start the same app from the desktop - so Home 2.0 must somehow be involved. 2c. 
    Classic Home could be a great center for Rift, Quest and Go - because neither Quest nor Go have the power to run Home 2.0. Personally I do feel that Home 2.0 has reduced my enjoyment of the Rift. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 427
    Trinity
    Hey there,
    Home 2.0 is loaded with the network: the long loading time is due to a slow network. It's definitely a flaw compared to Rift Core 1, but definitely not that "unacceptable". It's just a launcher, the appearance doesn't matter given that you stay in it only for a couple of secs.

That said I do agree Home 1 should have stayed as an option ^^. It's still there for the Go and probably will be there for the Quest, so who knows? Maybe you'll get it back.
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • rh_galaxyrh_galaxy Posts: 65
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited October 2018
    I don't believe my network is slow, what exactly is loaded before it can display?
    After I exit a game and before I start another, what could it possibly want to load over the network to be able to display a static env that has not changed since last time?

Well, unacceptable was to take it too far, but since I only stay in Home a couple of sec, all the more reason to display it quickly, or else it's the white with dotted grid that is my impression... and that is no good - compared to old Home.
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,098
    Wintermute
    You can still use the Dash board during the loading, this is a parallel process which not slow down any ergonomic.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1