cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm just wondering if I get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?
288 REPLIES 288

LZoltowski
Champion
A curved ultrawide would be more immersive 🙂
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

Techy111
MVP
MVP
I got a widescreen 4k monitor and am not ashamed to admit I play pancake often, need my COD fix....... 😉
A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

bigmike20vt
Visionary

RedRizla said:

I really like VR, but the lack of AAA games is making me feel I also need to get back into pancake gaming. I currently have a 42" television and I'm wondering if get a 55" or 65" television, if this will get me more immersed in a game like VR does? Since VR came along I've struggled to get back into 2D gaming and there's some really good pancake games that will never come to VR.

So do you think a lager screen would get me more immersed in a game or not?

i have a 70inch 1080p 3D TV and a 65 inch 4k tv with HDR.

they are ok for non VR games however if you are not enjoying monitor games then i fear they wont help... and for me, they do nothing at all for games which i have played in VR but then try to play on monitor.

Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂

Arock387
Heroic Explorer
yes, its worth having one.  I use a 32 inch 4k HDR10 LG monitor for my PC and I run a 55inch curved 4k HDR10 Samsung for console gaming or for when I get an HDMI cord long enough to send to the TV for movie and controller gaming. 

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
Thought I better ask because there's Steam sale coming and I don't want to add more games to my library that I'll never play. I was just debating whether or not to try Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light, just to see if I can get back into it. Any of you played Metro 2033/ Metro Last Light, or would I be best with a game like The Witcher that everyone raves about? That's the last game I purchased on Steam and I haven't even looked at it yet.. Cheers!

@bigmike20vt - So a 70" screen that is probably the size of one of my walls doesn't get you more immersed? I thought my problem was been able to see the sides of the television..

RattyUK
Trustee
I think the Rift is brilliant and enjoy gaming with it - but I also play on my 32" 4k monitor, even ED (the only one currently I have that works on both) gets time split between both.  That way I can still participate in 'real life' with wife/family/dogs most of the time, when the headset goes on 'immersion' wins and the game world is sufficiently distracting...

I've only a 55" curved 3D UHD TV but have enjoyed 2 player PC / Playstation games with my wife or granddaughter (PC is  the only 4k source though), made even more fun as they both go through the AV system :smiley:

@RedRizla  - I've got Metro 2033 on Steam, it's a reasonable game (probably very good - except even on easy I'm not very good at it) that is likely worth having in your collection, I got it in Humble Bundle and do keep going back to it to get better 🙂
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

RattyUK
Trustee
Just as an aside, aforementioned granddaughter is only 6 and also loves the rift (for roller coasters!) and I'm sure she'll be grabbing it more once she gets the controllers sussed!

She now insists that my wife's laptop, which has a couple of games she likes on, is plugged into the system and played on 'big' screen...   so, yes, a big screen may refresh your interest.
PC info: AMD Ryzen 9 5900X - Sapphire 7900XTX - 32GB DDR4 4000 - 3 NVMe + 3SATA SSD - Quest 2 & 3

LZoltowski
Champion

RedRizla said:

Thought I better ask because there's Steam sale coming and I don't want to add more games to my library that I'll never play. I was just debating whether or not to try Metro 2033 & Metro Last Light, just to see if I can get back into it. Any of you played Metro 2033/ Metro Last Light, or would I be best with a game like The Witcher that everyone raves about? That's the last game I purchased on Steam and I haven't even looked at it yet.. Cheers!

@bigmike20vt - So a 70" screen that is probably the size of one of my walls does get you more immersed? I thought my problem was been able to see the sides of the television..

That is why a curved ultrawide would be much better, it really does add to the immersion ans is the next best thing after VR, because a lot more of your peripheral vision is covered without you having to move your head left and right, it adds to the effect.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/LG-34UC98-Adjustable-DisplayPort-Thunderbolt/dp/B01BFH1AIM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UT...
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another 🙂

bigmike20vt
Visionary

RedRizla said:

@bigmike20vt - So a 70" screen that is probably the size of one of my walls does get you more immersed? I thought my problem was been able to see the sides of the television..

it did before i got VR 😉
I still do some monitor gaming and for that a big screen is nice but racing games or flight / space sims are ruined for me out of vr now... i fear for ever!. which means if vr should happen to fail this time i am boned as these are my favourite genres.
i tried (and failed) to get a refund on star citizen because of this.
(3D gaming is still very cool, but barely anything supports it now.
uncharted 3 and ICO and Shadow of colloussus 3D on ps3 was great and gears of war 3 on xbox 360 was amazing, despite visually it being piss poor in 3D due to the limited hardware.
but it is a bit moot now, none of the modern updated counterparts support 3D.
Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR 🙂