New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

1234568»

Comments

• pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    Yea Rage 2 has been on my radar since the reveal trailer. I'm going to wait for reviews but I'll likely pick it up.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,701 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea Rage 2 has been on my radar since the reveal trailer. I'm going to wait for reviews but I'll likely pick it up.

Same here - looks awesome, 1920x1080 seems the target for most, should work nicely on my plasma. Using a gamepay may be the biggest problem to me, maybe mouse + keyboard will feel more natural... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    edited May 14
    Urgh... Rage 2 .... is dead  :# Kinda:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage-2

Let's hope one bright dude at Bethesda gets this great idea and approaches the CEO:

"Hey, I think our game would be just perfect for VR"  <3  :D

So I'm not going to buy Rage 2 today after all, maybe it's time for No Man's Sky... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• nalex66nalex66 Posts: 4,927 Volunteer Moderator
    I think reviews for Rage 2 have been generally positive--I've read a number of 8/10 reviews. I didn't pre-order, but I've been keeping an eye on it, and it looks like something I'd enjoy. I'll grab it the first time I see it on a Steam sale. (GMG has it at a small discount, but resellers all have the Bethesda Launcher version. I'd rather get the Steam version, which includes features like cloud saves, which the Bethesda Launcher doesn't have. I'm also not sure if the BL version has Achievements, which the Steam version does have.)
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
  • WildtWildt Posts: 2,066 Valuable Player
    edited May 14
    nalex66 said:
    I think reviews for Rage 2 have been generally positive--I've read a number of 8/10 reviews. I didn't pre-order, but I've been keeping an eye on it, and it looks like something I'd enjoy. I'll grab it the first time I see it on a Steam sale. (GMG has it at a small discount, but resellers all have the Bethesda Launcher version. I'd rather get the Steam version, which includes features like cloud saves, which the Bethesda Launcher doesn't have. I'm also not sure if the BL version has Achievements, which the Steam version does have.)
    A lot of the negative reviews also seem like reactions to Bethesda being Bethesda. This review sums it up quite nicely:

"Bethesda didn't put up any information for Denuvo or Bethesda.net until release. Which is pretty scummy. You don't require a bethesda account to play but if you don't link one to the game you don't have access to any of your preorder content or deluxe edition content. The game runs fine, looks decent and gunplay is great. Bethesda is just being same old♥♥♥♥♥♥bethesda. However i do appreciate that i was able to buy this on steam."

I still haven't bought a Zenimax/Bethesda game since the Oculus lawsuit.

PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    Doom (2016) did get awesome reviews (Metascore 85), but Doom VFR - one of my favorite VR games - has a Metascore of 69. I do have FallOut 4 VR and Skyrim VR, but I don't really have the necessary time to invest in those games - and now I just bought another game which I'm probably not going to play much before July or August  ;)

edited May 14
    Rage 2, looks like GTX 1080 pulls through again - in 1920x1080 (performance seems like Hellblade to me):

GTX 1080 is close in 2560x1440, but no cigar  :/  (but turn down antialiasing a bit and it'll probably fly and you'll never notice any diff in image quality)

Even RTX 2080 Ti lost the 4K battle  :#

Source: https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Performance_Analysis/RAGE_2/

Seems like it's 10 hours playtime - and some reviewers complained about that??!!?? - That's 25% longer than Lone Echo, 2 x Moss and 4 x Transference, seems to me like Rage 2's playtime goes on forever!  :D

BTW, 6 GB video ram should be enough for everyone ;)

I heard 15 hours for the main quest, and way more time to do most of the side content. That's fine for me, there are very few games these days that I'll commit that much time to (although I have spent over 500 hours in Fallout 4).
    i7 5820K @ 4.25 GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32 GB | Corsair HX 750W
    Corsair Hydro H100i | Samsung SSDs: 860 Evo 1 TB, 850 Evo 1 TB, 840 Evo 1 TB | Seagate BarraCuda HDD 3 TB
    1700h in TF2 but don't tell anyone :grimace:
    nalex66 said:
    I heard 15 hours for the main quest, and way more time to do most of the side content. That's fine for me, there are very few games these days that I'll commit that much time to (although I have spent over 500 hours in Fallout 4).

I don't have a spine :blush: - and was extremely close to buying Rage 2, because it's just €34 here:

https://www.cdkeys.com/rage2

But then I noticed this isn't the Steam version - I need to have some Bethesda game launcher running? I was so happy finishing Transference and getting rid of the annoying constantly-updating Uplay software. And I got a similar problem with Origin and Battlefield  :#  So the thought of having another game launcher installed, sigh... Well, maybe I should check out No Man's SKy, but Rage 2 looks so much better - and now I know it'll work flawlessly on my rig... hmmm...

Anyone getting Rage 2 this week?

edited May 14
    RuneSR2 said:
    nalex66 said:

I don't have a spine :blush: - and was extremely close to buying Rage 2, because it's just €34 here:

https://www.cdkeys.com/rage2

But then I noticed this isn't the Steam version - I need to have some Bethesda game launcher running? I was so happy finishing Transference and getting rid of the annoying constantly-updating Uplay software. And I got a similar problem with Origin and Battlefield  :#  So the thought of having another game launcher installed, sigh... Well, maybe I should check out No Man's SKy, but Rage 2 looks so much better - and now I know it'll work flawlessly on my rig... hmmm...

Anyone getting Rage 2 this week?
    Yeah, from what I can see, all resellers are selling the Bethesda Launcher version. I already use their launcher for Fallout76, but I'd much prefer the Steam version, so I'm going to hold out for a sale direct from Steam.
    I'm hopefully going to have my Quest in a week, so that will eat up my gaming time for a while. I'll see about getting Rage 2 once I've burned through some of the Quest launch content.
    edited May 14
    Not going to buy it. Ever since they announced that the game was broken up into dlc's, I've decided to wait until the whole game is released and it's on sale in a bundle. Sick of games releasing unfinished and then you sell me the rest of it...
  • TheRealCyberTheRealCyber Posts: 192
    Art3mis
    I'm definitely getting it. DOOM and Mad Max were some of my favorite games from recent years, and I liked the first RAGE (not sure why it got bad reviews). This second game looks more like what people were expecting, and it seemed to get good reviews from sites I trust. And reviews can be deceiving anyhow.
    I'm definitely getting it. DOOM and Mad Max were some of my favorite games from recent years, and I liked the first RAGE (not sure why it got bad reviews). This second game looks more like what people were expecting, and it seemed to get good reviews from sites I trust. And reviews can be deceiving anyhow.
    Yea I enjoyed the first Rage as well and never understood the negativity. I'll eventually get Rage 2, I just hate the game break up model. I'd rather wait until the whole game is out and play through it all in one go. Plus with bethesda, hopefully by then all the bugs are fixed or at least mods are out to fix them all. I've got too many games in this day and age to need to rush for releases. 
    From the reviews I've read, the high point is the combat--very DOOM-like, which is awesome. The open world seems to suffer a bit from repetitive content, but the constant flow of upgrades for your guns, cars, and abilities keeps it fresh. I almost said "screw it" and bought it this afternoon--at least it would keep me busy while I wait for my Quest. I might bite the bullet if I keep reading reviews and watching videos. I do have a three-day weekend coming up...
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,108 Valuable Player
    Dear Oculus, after reading on your official forums from various people that Rage is good, I knocked on the front door of my 6'4" next door neighbour and shouted abuse at him. I am now posting this from a hospital bed. Fuck you, I'm buying a Vive.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • CrashFuCrashFu Posts: 1,756 Valuable Player
    edited May 14
     Battletech was the last 2D game I really got into  (mostly because I've been a Mechwarrior nerd since I was a child.. even though I've only ever played two different Mechwarrior PC games, and the two MechAssault games on Xbox.  And briefly forayed into actual Battletech via that MegaMek thing)

After that, the only 2D games even on my radar at this point are Monster Hunter World (if it EVER stops being a Steam Exclusive on PC,  but at this point I'm pretty much giving up hope on that)  and  Borderlands 3.

...  Well, and a couple random indie games I've discovered on Itch.io.
    It's hard being the voice of reason when you're surrounded by unreasonable people.
    edited May 15
    Other than Rage 2, the only 2D games on my radar this year are Wolfenstein: Youngblood and DOOM Eternal. 
    edited June 4
    Just finished Batman: Arkham Knight which I picked up for pennies on a sale. I've played all the Batman games now, and while every element from the previous games have been refined and polished, some of the new Batmobile parts were really tedious. 
    Still a recommended purchase for fans of the series - especially on sale (duh).

Now started playing Far Cry: New Dawn. Looks fab and runs well - gameplay is the usual formula with a few tweaks, but that's what I wanted, so I'm happy so far. 
    One of the things I love so much about this open world sandbox type of game, are those hilarious, daft accidents that happen in those crazy battles with both hostile and friendly NPC's in an environment full of explosives, vehicles and igniteable terrain everywere. Add to that crazy powerful "Monstreous" animals that'll just pwn anyone who annoys them, and you got yourself a smiley face recipe.
  • jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 812
    3Jane
    For me it's always been a trade off. Being 'in the game' with SDE
    RuneSR2 said:
    Urgh... Rage 2 .... is dead  :# Kinda:

https://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/rage-2
    Single player games don't die. Multiplayer games do.
  • ervinsamu3lfxervinsamu3lfx Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    pyroth309 said:
    I only liked the first dungeon siege myself but yea it was a classic. I love a good action rpg and still play a few. Path of Exile and Grim Dawn being my favorites at the moment. I have too many games and not enough time these days. First world problems lol. Both of those games do Diablo better than Diablo 3 imo. 
    I love Path of Exile! I love the most how the game changes all the time and you need to advance it and your skill to fit in a new league.