New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Would a bigger television get me back into Pancake gaming?

12345679»

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,110 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    The pancake devs are vicious, they know my kryptonite ... must ... resist .... but Metascore 87 ... and .... it does ... look .... beyond purdy...  <3  :#

Thanks for the help, Alyx - you take up all my bandwidth for now - no way I'll get another 50GB down today...  and no way I'd rather play Doom Eternal 2D than Half-Life 2½ VR. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 2,344 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    Wildt said:
    I wanna give another shout out to Destiny 2.
    I'm simply in awe of how much you get for free in this AAA FPS. The worlds are massive and absolutely gorgeous, and the gameplay mechanics are spot on.

I've put 75 hours into it now, and I'm still having fun with my level 928 titan.

The many objectives thrown at you from the beginning can seem confusing and overwhelming, and I cannot stress enough how important it is for newcomers to start with the 3 "legacy campaigns", which are the old core game and DLC from when it wasn't a free-to-play title. Several hours of AAA narrated single player campaigns with top of the line cut scenes and voice acting.

Jesus murphy! I'm the grumpy old guy who dislikes all the popular stuff, but this has me amazed.

I've actually been in Destiny 2 most of the last 6 months. Jumped in for Season of Undying and then hit Season of Dawn hard. I'm back to taking a break for the  current season but it's mostly because I can't dedicate the time to it right now. Kind of sticking to games I can pause. It's a fantastic looter shooter. I've got 700 hours in it since it came to steam and at least that when it was on battle.net. I bought all of the expansions and such and got my money's worth.
    RuneSR2 said:
    The pancake devs are vicious, they know my kryptonite ... must ... resist .... but Metascore 87 ... and .... it does ... look .... beyond purdy...  <3  :#

Thanks for the help, Alyx - you take up all my bandwidth for now - no way I'll get another 50GB down today...  and no way I'd rather play Doom Eternal 2D than Half-Life 2½ VR. 

I've been in Doom all night lol. It's fun as hell and my kind of game. Mick Gordon did an awesome job with the soundtrack too.
    I've also been enjoying the Doom memes -

I still get enjoyment out of pancake games. Until VR gets the kind of budgets flat screens do that probably wont' change for me.
    edited March 21
    pyroth309 said:

I've been in Doom all night lol. It's fun as hell and my kind of game. Mick Gordon did an awesome job with the soundtrack too.
    You're not helping, lol  ;) Must ... still ... resist. I've been looking at myself in the morror today constantly repeating:

Image result for must resist

At least tell me it's choppy as hell on your GTX 1080 even though you're using the lowest settings  :D 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• WildtWildt Posts: 2,297 Valuable Player
    pyroth309 said:
    Wildt said:
    I'm simply in awe of how much you get for free in this AAA FPS. The worlds are massive and absolutely gorgeous, and the gameplay mechanics are spot on.

I've put 75 hours into it now, and I'm still having fun with my level 928 titan.

The many objectives thrown at you from the beginning can seem confusing and overwhelming, and I cannot stress enough how important it is for newcomers to start with the 3 "legacy campaigns", which are the old core game and DLC from when it wasn't a free-to-play title. Several hours of AAA narrated single player campaigns with top of the line cut scenes and voice acting.

Jesus murphy! I'm the grumpy old guy who dislikes all the popular stuff, but this has me amazed.

I've actually been in Destiny 2 most of the last 6 months. Jumped in for Season of Undying and then hit Season of Dawn hard. I'm back to taking a break for the  current season but it's mostly because I can't dedicate the time to it right now. Kind of sticking to games I can pause. It's a fantastic looter shooter. I've got 700 hours in it since it came to steam and at least that when it was on battle.net. I bought all of the expansions and such and got my money's worth.
    700?! Wowsers. I'm close to 100 now, but if it weren't for the new season spiking my interest a bit again, I was close to putting it down.
    I've also got Rage 2, the new Halo Master Chief game, and Metro Exodus to pancake my way through, but I think I'll be back for more Destiny 2 later. 
    As already stated.. it's polished AF, and anybody who enjoys sci-fi shooters, are stupid not to give the absolutely free legacy campaigns a whirl. 
    PCVR: CV1 || 4 sensors || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3
    PSVR: PS4 Pro || Move Controllers || Aim controller
    WMR: HP Reverb
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

You're not helping, lol  ;) Must ... still ... resist.

At least tell me it's choppy as hell on your GTX 1080 even though you're using the lowest details  :D 

Nope, running it on 4k max settings and pulling about 50 fps and it looks amazing.
    Wildt said:
    pyroth309 said:
    Wildt said:

700?! Wowsers. I'm close to 100 now, but if it weren't for the new season spiking my interest a bit again, I was close to putting it down.
    I've also got Rage 2, the new Halo Master Chief game, and Metro Exodus to pancake my way through, but I think I'll be back for more Destiny 2 later. 
    As already stated.. it's polished AF, and anybody who enjoys sci-fi shooters, are stupid not to give the absolutely free legacy campaigns a whirl. 

Yea there's a ton to do in the game. I also spent a lot of that time farming for "God Rolls" or the best roll you can get on my favorite weapons.
    edited March 21
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    pyroth309 said:

You're not helping, lol  ;) Must ... still ... resist.

At least tell me it's choppy as hell on your GTX 1080 even though you're using the lowest details  :D 

Nope, running it on 4k max settings and pulling about 50 fps and it looks amazing.
    I would be sitting 2 feet from a large plasma with great blacks and awesome colors, it's only 1080p but super-low input lag (16 ms in pc mode), my performance would be quite amazing in 1080p I suppose even with tons of aa... sigh... Guess it might even work with my 2 new Steam controllers I've used for like 25 minutes... 

But Alyx first, not gonna pause the pre-load...  o:) 

edited March 21
    This was a Vid of me playing on my 1080.  Not my best work as I was distracted IRL and I was also hunting for secrets but you can see the graphics I was getting. FPS dips more when I'm streaming cause I only have an I5 and it gets bogged.

Set it to 4k on Youtube.
    Reminds me of some of the last levels in Doom VFR - actually haven't completed VFR yet, but I've arrived at the final battle - but I keep getting spanked :blush:

RuneSR2 said:
    Reminds me of some of the last levels in Doom VFR - actually haven't completed VFR yet, but I've arrived at the final battle - but I keep getting spanked :blush:

Lol yea. That was an early level before I really knew what I was doing. Once I picked up the double dash I started using it constantly. I just took a vid to show a friend what it looked like.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,808 Valuable Player
    edited March 21
    I was playing Doom Eternal from midnight until after 2am last night. This is the first game in years that makes me want a bigger monitor.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    edited March 21
    Zenbane said:
    I was playing Doom Eternal from midnight until after 2am last night. This is the first game in years that makes me want a bigger monitor.

Yea, it helps. I'm playing on a 49" and I'm pulled right up to it. Bad part is it pretty much means I have to play in 4k or it looks bad which limits me to 60hz. I have a 27" 144hz gsync monitor I use for twitchy games but for Doom I wanted to enjoy the graphics so opted for the big screen.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 2,897 Valuable Player
    I have a few pancake game I'd like to do but  vr is still making hard for me to do it. Just finished boneworks. It's so awsome it's worth a replay. And alex will be out the 23rd. 
    It's like being a lonely missionary sent to a dark corner of the world, and constantly being approached by the most beautiful and exotic 20-year old women who don't care about your wedding ring. It's really hard to say no day after day, so easy to give up  :D  

edited March 22
    Found out I still have a 70GB installation of Doom 2016, and just had some fun in that game. It was also a study of latencies, using my bluetooth Logitech G603 gamer mouse and @RedRizla's recommended bluetooth Uproar headphones. Controls felt better and much more precise than gamepad, even tried my new Steam controller, but nah... Mouse + keyboard are much better. Actually using Logitch diNovo Edge, also my keyboard is bluetooth, lol. Sound was great using the Uproar, I did not notice latencies, bass was nice too.   
    It worked great - really no problems with sound nor controls - and sitting 1½ feet from the 51" plasma (1920x1080) I'd say the horizontal fov is like CV1. The plasma only has 16 ms input lag in pc mode, maybe it all helps with bluetooth... Graphics looked great, kinda made me think of Index res 200%, but I think Index is better. This was Doom 2016 running on Ultra settings with 8xTXAA-something (highest possible). 
    But the immersion - sure this looks nice, and plays ok, but the immersion is soooo limited. I might go back later this evening, although my hopes for 2D gaming have not really been improved. 

edited March 23
    Admitted, it does bring back the feeling of the old times playing with mouse and keyboard, especially using a big screen, although 2D pancake gaming does feel like an aging cheap amputated gaming solution compared to real VR gaming, lol. I'd probably rate pancake Doom 2016 at about 25% compared to Doom VFR in the Index - the latter I'd probably rate at 90% with the Index if we compare apples to oranges. (95% using CV1 ss 2.0 due to the SDE better covering up the many low-res textures in Doom VFR, while such textures constantly are in-your-face with the Index, lol - but Index has better controller support, because the Index trackpad is supported in Doom VFR - Knuckles perfectly emulate both Wands and Touch).
    I'm still going to try Doom Eternal, but after Alyx. 

It's close to 4 years since I played with mouse and keyboard the last time - and that was Doom 2016. Kinda gave up, felt like old wine in a new bottle - VR changed that completely, and may do that again later today, we'll see...

• SpottiChenSpottiChen Posts: 22
    Brain Burst
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea Rage 2 has been on my radar since the reveal trailer. I'm going to wait for reviews but I'll likely pick it up.
    Not my favorite, it has some of the best action of the year but it squanders everything on a listless story campaign and banal mission design. You should try WoW Classic, at least you can skim the quest and still know where you're going, also I got some help at ssegold, maybe you'll like it too. ;) 
    Just saw these shots - yeah, I'll get back to eating some pancakes if this quality arrives  <3

The project started in about 2016, then went dead, but seems to have been resurrected, although the "new" trailer is 1 year old:

More here:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/System_Shock/

Sad thing is that now we know the same graphics would be possible in VR - if Valve did the game using the Source Engine, lol. 

New playable System Shock Remastered Demo has just been made available for download:

https://store.steampowered.com/app/482400/System_Shock/

(See the previous post too)

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 8,018 Valuable Player
    edited May 28
    I'm playing this atm. I'm really enjoying it and I only paid £9.49 yesterday. I see the price has gone back up today though. It's a puzzle type of game, which is something I'm not used to playing.