Palmer Luckey has a few things to say about VR — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Palmer Luckey has a few things to say about VR

Comments

• logotomielogotomie Posts: 79
    Hiro Protagonist
    As much as i dislike his attitude, i agree with his asessment.
  • hoppingbunny123hoppingbunny123 Posts: 457
    Nexus 6
    edited October 2018
    i like my rift but im lazy to open vr desktop with it and use it. it seems too fragile and finicky to just throw on, i have the cord taped, up the strap taped up, the cloth on the face foam, the glasses adapter, i have to adjust the headphones, its all like a fine dainty thing i get nervous about so i dont use it much. if it was a helmet with a flip down screen i could see that being used more, like the daft punk helmets.
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 14,111 Valuable Player
    It's that time of the month for Palmer. His publicity stunt intervals are fairly predictable at this point.
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,549 Valuable Player
    edited October 2018
    i like my rift but im lazy to open vr desktop with it and use it. it seems too fragile and finicky to just throw on, i have the cord taped, up the strap taped up, the cloth on the face foam, the glasses adapter, i have to adjust the headphones, its all like a fine dainty thing i get nervous about so i dont use it much. if it was a helmet with a flip down screen i could see that being used more, like the daft punk helmets.
    Yea this is a big reason I'm ready for an upgrade. My rift feels like it's barely holding together at this point after all the abuse it has taken lol. I had an accident where a friend of mine was using it and it made him dizzy. He fell and my rift slammed on to the floor. Both of my touch controllers are scuffed up badly and my right one even has some chips in it. I kind of gingerly put it on each time hoping I don't break anything. I have a PSVR and the little telescoping feature is cool and handy for like texting but I wish I could flip it up out of the way to drink like some of the other headsets I've seen. The odyssey+ is even worse. So yea, a lot of those little annoyances add up. For me, it's hard to beat a monitor/tv for those days when I just want to sit on the couch with a drink and some popcorn and watch a movie. VR HMD's are in the way for that at this point because it's tough to drink without a straw. That said, I think VR is getting close. 
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 462
    Trinity
    "No existing or imminent VR hardware is good enough to go truly mainstream"
    Of course they're not, it's a 1st gen. No tech has gone mainstream after its very first generation!
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 435
    Trinity
    edited November 2018
    ^^I know what you mean, i have 3 headsets, Rift, PSVR and Dell visor, and between them and their features i have the greatest VR headset to date, it is just that said headset is spread over 3 other headsets. lol

The motion controllers and built in earphones(when they work) of the Rift, the best SDE and no god rays of the PSVR, and the screen res and padding and flip up visor of the dell. :) 
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 954
    Neo
    This will be seen as confirmation of the VR is dead vr is a gimmick bias. 
  • HiThere_HiThere_ Posts: 1,275
    3Jane
    pyroth309 said:
    Yea this is a big reason I'm ready for an upgrade. My rift feels like it's barely holding together at this point after all the abuse it has taken lol.
    Same here, with more tape added each year, and you can add the scratches my friends made to the lenses with their glasses.

Thing is I'm fine with the current screen door effect and resolution, and could almost go buy a replacement rift 1.0 at this point, but it's narrow faceplate width and snorkel FOV really bother me, and with rift 2.0 nowhere in sight I would have gladly gone for a rift 1.5, with just that wider faceplate and FOV.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,502 Valuable Player
    I have to wonder how much of this is an an attempt by "Mr.MeeSeeks in Sandals" to try and control the narrative with the leaking of the Rift S direction by Oculus (if proven to be true).

With the departure of fellow founder, and the rolling back of a lot of the previous issues they were directly responsible for, and fought so hard to defend, just claiming that everything wont work - seems more like a "...if you had done it my way, it would be cool" statement!

I just wonder if Facebook would have been so happy to invest considerably more that $2b into a scheme that is now claiming "No existing or imminent VR hardware is good enough to go truly mainstream...!"
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,755 Volunteer Moderator
    kevinw729 said:
    I have to wonder how much of this is an an attempt by "Mr.MeeSeeks in Sandals" to try and control the narrative with the leaking of the Rift S direction by Oculus (if proven to be true).

With the departure of fellow founder, and the rolling back of a lot of the previous issues they were directly responsible for, and fought so hard to defend, just claiming that everything wont work - seems more like a "...if you had done it my way, it would be cool" statement!

I just wonder if Facebook would have been so happy to invest considerably more that $2b into a scheme that is now claiming "No existing or imminent VR hardware is good enough to go truly mainstream...!"

Or he wants to devalue Oculus so that Zuck sells it back to him for a fraction of the cost :) .. i kid i kid ...

OR AM I?!

scared jim carrey GIF

Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    Regarding this part of the claim:
    "You could give a Rift+PC to every single person in the developed world for free, and the vast majority would cease to use it in a matter of weeks or months."
    Does Palmer plan to back this up at all? It's easy to say it, much less easy to prove it. I doubt Palmer is going to take the money Facebook gave him and actually buy every single person in the developed world a free Rift and PC.
    Palmer's attention seeking desperation has been overplayed for some time now.
    Even in this latest attempt, all he is doing is taking information we already know and pretending that he has his own insights:
    • Many GearVR's were given away, but now many of those free HMD's are collecting dust.
    • Steam's survey shows an overall decline in SteamVR usage.
    • OC5 showed slow growth in the VR industry.
    • Every single online discussion board over the last 2+ years openly talks about the lack of replayabilty and AAA titles.
    Palmer is adding nothing new to the conversation. He's just rephrasing facts and pretending to still have relevance.
  • przecinekprzecinek Posts: 588
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2018
    This article is meant for broad audience not just VR enthusiasts like us. He's got his low-key blog that gets picked up by other newslets, can't see anything wrong with that. 

//I remember how in 2013,14 this forum was full of nothing but respect and gratitude for Palmer. I don't have anything against current menagment personally but it would be nice to remember why this forum exists in the first place. 
    edited November 2018
    przecinek said:
    This article is meant for broad audience not just VR enthusiasts like us.

Palmer says these things publicly, and knows that VR enthusiasts will read it and talk about it. So I have no idea why you are making that excuse on his behalf.

I remember how in 2013,14 this forum was full of nothing but respect and gratitude for Palmer. I don't have anything against current menagment personally but it would be nice to remember why this forum exists in the first place. 

Palmer did and said a lot of things that hurt the image of VR and the brand of Oculus. This forum exists because consumers who are VR Enthusiasts have helped make this a viable business venture.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,825 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    Regardless of whether PL is right or wrong, I cant help that feel these kinds of comments are somewhat biting the hand which fed him.  Would have have been so blasé about this before he was set up for life with VR?
    I highly doubt this would be the tune he was singing if facebook has not come in and bought oculus and PL was still relying on VR to bring food to the table.

Will VR fail? will it go mainstream?  I have no idea, all i can comment on really is am I personally happy with what stuff is being delivered to me so far... and up to this point CV1 and the software i have to run on it the answer is a resounding yes!

I wont lie however i am starting to worry about the future a little bit (in terms of my own needs not the health of vr as a whole).

going forward however, my right ear piece is beginning to fail and i am getting to the point of thinking about having to buy a new hmd............... I dont really want to go over to steamvr, however I equally do not want to buy another CV1... onwards and upwards and all that............. but at the same time it is looking like oculus may not be bringing anything to the table for me to buy any time soon.  (remember the comment from oculus... i think it was not mobile phone speed of advancement (1 year), and not console speed of advancement (5  years), but somewhere in the middle)

standalone devices are not even close to doing it for me either.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    Regardless of whether PL is right or wrong, I cant help that feel these kinds of comments are somewhat biting the hand which fed him. 
    Agreed, yet (imo) that is what he has always done. Let's not forget when he said that releasing the Rift with a gamepad is "shitty" and then he did exactly that. All of 2016 involved non-Rift owners coming to this forum and chastising Rift owners for buying a one sensor gamepad VR Kit. I remember that time very very well. It was a solid 8 months of poop being shoveled in the direction of Rift owners and there was little rebuttal because even Palmer himself have provided the ammunition.
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,574 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018

Oh how the table has turned!

No I don't know where you can find that table but for some reason I want it in my life.

WAAAGH!
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 2,006 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    I guess maybe he had inside news that the rift 2 had been shelved and that they are bringing out a Rift S next year?

He obviously would still have contact with Brendan Iribe and if those rumors are true, which may be the case if they are intending to scale down the next Rift release, he may have felt he needed to say what he did. Makes a lot more sense now the timing of the comments.

https://www.roadtovr.com/report-oculus-planning-modest-upgrade-rift-releasing-early-next-year/?fbclid=IwAR1C4tStMxgv4XRYttFZIRS_wVeyb-BGBJrJb1hA2hHYTcOkAXqfJ51__g8

I could watch that table gif all day long :).  You would have to mind your nuts on closing it though.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited November 2018
    Zenbane said:
    Regarding this part of the claim:
    "You could give a Rift+PC to every single person in the developed world for free, and the vast majority would cease to use it in a matter of weeks or months."
    Does Palmer plan to back this up at all? It's easy to say it, much less easy to prove it.
    Why should he need to prove it. Its a provocative statement you can agree or disagree with. It fits with my observations.

Palmer is an attention seeker and completely failed as oculus mascot after the facebook acquisition (which is all he was then really) But that does not invalidate his statements or claims.

The majority of discussions i see here in the forum seems to be about price point as "the" key factor for VR success and that's just naive. Its not 1000, not 600, not 400, not 200. It can be any of that depending on whether a big enough audience values what you can provide at that price point high enough, to allow you to make a profit. Right now neither tech nor software are at a point and it will need at min 2 more generations to get the tech in shape.The biggest threat to VR right now is the idea that there is just one small hurdle to take for getting VR ready for significant adoption.

• SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 1,123
    Wintermute
    edited November 2018
    logotomie said:
    The biggest thread to VR right now is the idea that there is just one small hurdle to take for getting VR ready for significant adoption.

Hi there mate, you said "thread" instead of "threat." Just saying! lol :P

So we're going to get a Rift Pro? I'm a little bit excited but also a little bit gutted at the same time. I was hoping they'd go straight to CV2 for the next generation of Rift HMD.

But knowing me because I love VR and Oculus so much I will no doubt buy a Rift pro to see me through to the next release regardless. I hope it doesn't cost more then £500 though.

UK: England - Leeds - - RTX 2080 - Make love, not war - See you in the Oasis!
    Hiro Protagonist
    logotomie said:
    The biggest thread to VR right now is the idea that there is just one small hurdle to take for getting VR ready for significant adoption.

Hi there mate, you said "thread" instead of "threat." Just saying! lol :P

fixed, thanks!
    I am not sure what "pro" would mean. I certainly think the vive pro is stupid.
    My hope is we get CV2 at roughly the original price point of  CV1 with  2kx2k displays, 140degree fov  and virtuallink and 2nd gen ergonomics in 2019. I personally would pay more to get those specs though, i am craving for a real update and i am sure others are too.
    Imho we need this to keep/rekindle VR momentum, even though it would require Nvidia RTX  or AMD's upcoming cards to drive it.  CV1 can live alongside to capture the people with hard budget constraints for another year or 2.

Wintermute
    logotomie said:
    fixed, thanks!
    I am not sure what "pro" would mean. I certainly think the vive pro is stupid.
    My hope is we get CV2 at roughly the original price point of  CV1 with  2kx2k displays, 140degree fov  and virtuallink and 2nd gen ergonomics in 2019. I personally would pay more to get those specs though, i am craving for a real update and i am sure others are too.
    Imho we need this to keep/rekindle VR momentum, even though it would require Nvidia RTX  or AMD's upcoming cards to drive it.  CV1 can live alongside to capture the people with hard budget constraints for another year or 2.

I agree with everything you just said apart from the FOV, as 140 would be a nice increase no doubt but other HMD's are already coming out at 170 and 200 FOV so would 140 not be a little bit low for our expectations?

I totally forgot the name of this other VR company in China but I saw on YouTube the other day they're releasing their HMD with 170 FOV and high resolution, it looked really great and the design was similar to that of the Pimax.

So I hope your right about the CV2 specs but I would much prefer something closer to 170-200 FOV.
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,852
    Project 2501
    Palmer is probably right. If you read the latest news oculus will make small chsng
    Project 2501
    Some say Palmer Luckey bites the hand that feeds him. And that he failed with Facebook shortly after the sale. That is total BS. It's OK not to like him and I will not talk politics. He was fired because facebook (Mark Zuckerberg) didn't like his political views and participation in politics. He was treated horribly by facebook. The only thing I like about Zuckerberg is his trying to get vr going otherwise I'd have nothing to do with him. Some on this forum are biting the hand of the person the contributed greatly to vr. That's called fair weather friends. 
    Wintermute
    edited November 2018
    Yeah I agree, there seems to be a lot of hate for this poor fella! lol

I call Palmer Luckey the God Father of VR!!! LMAO :P

EDIT: Can someone link a picture from the godfather movies please? lol
    edited November 2018
    inovator said:
    Some say Palmer Luckey bites the hand that feeds him. And that he failed with Facebook shortly after the sale. That is total BS. It's OK not to like him and I will not talk politics. He was fired because facebook (Mark Zuckerberg) didn't like his political views and participation in politics. He was treated horribly by facebook. The only thing I like about Zuckerberg is his trying to get vr going otherwise I'd have nothing to do with him. Some on this forum are biting the hand of the person the contributed greatly to vr. That's called fair weather friends. 
    I respect PL massively for his part in KSing this gen of VR.  No matter what happens this will never change. No one forced him to accept the 100s of millions to sell to Facebook for nearly 2 billion. I don't blame him. I would have ! But it was obvious in doing so he would lose control. If that was a deal breaker he should not have sold.
    His political views however are foul imo and Facebook had to get rid imo to save face. Is it wrong for comments outside.of work to affect your career? No comment from. Me there but it is normal....... It is one reason why I have an inherent dislike of social media where what you write is there for life.
    Fairweather friend tho? Don't be daft. PL is not my friend any more then i am his and personally I find thisthing of hero worshipping people in the media quite odd and a bit creepy.
    He had a part in creating a product that I like. I gave gave money for it and at that point we are even.

But his comments about VR lately are cringing and smell of sour grapes to me  (even if it's true and he is ultimately correct)

PS feeling sorry for PL is a bit like feeling sorry for a premier League footballer on a bit of a rough streak..... Madness because ultimately they are still in a better position in life than 99.99999 % of the population
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,185
    Wintermute
    This is what PL is talking about. Dedication and love for VR is what brings killer apps, therefore more users onto the platform:

https://uploadvr.com/how-a-mobile-phone-game-led-to-the-creation-of-beat-saber/

I love Beat Saber, prolly because one can feel the love and care the devs has putted into it.
     Somewhat offtopic, still it´s not.
    Be good, die great !
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,171 Volunteer Moderator
    Yeah I agree, there seems to be a lot of hate for this poor fella! lol

I call Palmer Luckey the God Father of VR!!! LMAO :P

EDIT: Can someone link a picture from the godfather movies please? lol
    Here you go ;)

A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Project 2501
    edited November 2018
    I don't believe what Pl said was sour grapes. It's reality. No one loves vr more than I do. I'm just not a fan boy. You saying his political views are foul shows that part of you and some  other members are basing the negative side based on politics. THAT IS CRAZY THINKING
    inovator said:
    u saying his political views are foul shows that part of you and some  other members are basing the negative side based on politics. THAT IS CRAZY THINKING
    Honestly I am not trying to be obtuse but I don't even know what this means in relation to what I said
    Project 2501
    Because u said his political views are foul. Why would you mention that. I said he was let go because of his views. I did not try to say Pl views are good or bad. By your post it is obvious that his politics  influence your opinion of him. If he believed like u you would sing a different tune.