cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Palmer luckey is right.

inovator
Consultant
He said if you gave everyone a high end system vr still wouldn't go mainstream yet. You can easily find and read this vr news. Oculus said why they are going to start off with inside tracking 1st. The next headset will basically be the same. I don't totally disagree since the co-founder left Oculus because he wanted to do major upgrades which would take the latest upgraded CPU equipment that would keep pricing High. So It May Be Best To Do This painstakingly  slow. I'll probably be dead when the  happens.
Part of article:
 In the wake of the overhaul’s cancellation, the company will be pursuing a more modest product update — possibly called the “Rift S” — to be released as early as next year, which makes minor upgrades to the device’s display resolution while more notably getting rid of the external sensor-tracking system, sources tell us. Instead, the headset will utilize the integrated “inside-out” Insight tracking system, which is core to Facebook’s recently announced Oculus Quest standalone headset.
36 REPLIES 36

ShocksVR
Superstar
Don't forget, Nate Mitchell is also a co-founder of Oculus, and he was/is the Head of Rift, and has since taken over Iribe's responsibilities. Mitchell is still onboard and has been hinting on "exciting news for Rift", but some of the features we the community want may "have to wait a little longer than we thought". I'm more of a fan of Mitchell than Irebe anyways
i7-7700k, Zotac RTX 3080 AMP Holo (10G), QuestPro, Quest 2
Previous: Oculus GO, Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale, Oculus Rift S

inovator
Consultant
Unfortunately alot longer than we want.

kevinw729
Honored Visionary
Title: Palmer luckey is right.

https://vrawards.aixr.org/ "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities" https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
I have been saying it for a while.  Inside-out untethered is the future (so basically quest).

Inside-out tracking on the PC makes sense as it gets you half way to the goal.  But the tether is still a problem.  There are two options here:

1) Do a wireless tether to the PC, like high frequency wireless.

or

2) Mount the compute onboard the headset.  But then you have a quest.

So basically just ditch the PC and embrace quest.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
or

3) On-person compute, like a fanny pack or backpack computer with a wire that attaches to the headset.  Those form factors would allow for more power.

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
or

4) Just have Oculus Quest and Oculus PC-VR as two separate devices like Oculus is doing and have the best of both worlds, which support each other..

Anonymous
Not applicable
I am in the same boat that all headsets are going to move to inside out tracking once it shows they can be as good or better than outside in tracking. There is a large benefit going to inside out such as no more extra USB, less issues, less time to set up/get out of it, less cost for both the customer and manufacturer (shipping, inventory, parts, labor, etc), etc. Could even add 2 more cameras if you bring out the front half a bit to point backwards to cover and more area.

RedRizla said:

or

4) Just have Oculus Quest and Oculus PC-VR as two separate devices like Oculus is doing and have the best of both worlds, which support each other..
I'm a bit confused by what you mean they support each other though? The way the device tracks isn't the same as what the device does and what it supports. I'm sure GO 2.0 will also support inside out tracking, but have other limitations. 

Either way - VR has many limits going on that makes it hard to grow - cost, hardware demand, more cost, room, software, vr hardware limits, demand, etc. The biggest issues with VR is just time. It's still "early" days for VR as a young hardware device. I mean it took other devices 10+ years to hit a million units let alone have the backing money/power that VR has now.

JakemanOculus
Heroic Explorer
The problem with the PC for VR is that the value proposition is wrong.

When people talk about advantages of PC VR they always say the same thing... graphics.  Implicit in this proposition is that people are aspiring for lifelike realism.  Realism simply is not that important in VR.  The most important thing in VR is immersion which is the feeling that you are actually there.

The problem for the PC, or more generally stationary compute, is that you are tethered and therefore bound.  That creates a dissonance in the mind of the user which breaks immersion; you have to constantly be aware of your real environment which prevents you from being fully immersed in your virtual environment.

The tether has to go.  That ultimately means using mobile compute, not stationary compute.

Zenbane
MVP
MVP

The problem with the PC for VR is that the value proposition is wrong.

When people talk about advantages of PC VR they always say the same thing... graphics.  Implicit in this proposition is that people are aspiring for lifelike realism.  Realism simply is not that important in VR.  The most important thing in VR is immersion which is the feeling that you are actually there.

The problem for the PC, or more generally stationary compute, is that you are tethered and therefore bound.  That creates a dissonance in the mind of the user which breaks immersion; you have to constantly be aware of your real environment which prevents you from being fully immersed in your virtual environment.

The tether has to go.  That ultimately means using mobile compute, not stationary compute.

Completely agree. This is why I still have a 980 for my Rift, and never bother with Super Sampling nor any other videophile configurations. I enjoy that sense of immersion from the presence achieved via the combination of visuals and audio; but "badass graphics" are simply not necessary. Afterall, without my prescription lenses I have blurry vision in real life... yet I still feel quite present and immersed on planet Earth lol