New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Dash Virtual Desktop display nothing and cause huge frame-rate drop

WeldonWenWeldonWen Posts: 3
NerveGear
edited November 2018 in Support
     Virtual Desktop used to function normally, recently it would only display a black screen and frame rate would drop to 5-10 fps, after closing the desktop window, frame rate would stuck at 30fps for a short while before going back to normal 90fps. Have no memory of changing any settings in my PC.

Virtual Desktop display nothing

waving hand during low frame-rate, causing this "twisted effect"

Is this a hardware issue or a software issue? Is there a fix? Any help would be appreciated :)

Some extra info just in case you need it:
MSI GS63VR 7RF Stealth Pro laptop
Intel i7-7700HQ
Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060
36GB RAM
Windows 10 Pro

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 700
    3Jane
    I don't really know but it almost seems that Oculus Desktop is trying to use your laptops integrated gpu (you aren't using multiple monitors with maybe one connected to your igpu?).  

Maybe check your nvidia control panel and make sure you have selected high performance nvidia gpu in your global settings.  Also, check the physics tab and make sure this is also directed to your nvidia gpu.  you may also need to update your nvidia drivers.  I'm using 398.82 and this works fine for me.  I use Oculus Desktop a lot and I do not see any of these problems.

If this does not help I suggest you contact Oculus support for some help.  Good luck sorting this out.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 434
    Trinity
    I second that, it looks like the Oculus tasks are set to use the iGPU instead of the NVidia GPU. NVidia Control Panel is your savior! (hopefully, lol)
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • WeldonWenWeldonWen Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    edited November 2018
    Found the problem, it's a broken version of Public Test Channel (Joined after Connect 5 because Core 2.0 is out of beta but not released to public, never thought about leaving to check out whether Core 2.0 is out of Public Test Channel), existed back to public version and everything works fine now. Still appropriate all the responds :)

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 700
    3Jane
    WeldonWen said:
    Found the problem, it's a broken version of Public Test Channel (Joined after Connect 5 because Core 2.0 is out of beta but not released to public, never thought about leaving to check out whether Core 2.0 is out of Public Test Channel), existed back to public version and everything works fine now. Still appropriate all the responds :)

I did not see this with either 1.31 or current 1.32 versions.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • LachannLachann Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    Thanks, had a probably related problem where Dash in seamless mode wasn't working in Elite Dangerous. I initially blamed it on the new beta for Elite, since it started right after I installed the beta. Turns out it was a coincidence and a problem with Oculus after all, opting out of public test channel fixed it ;)
  • WeldonWenWeldonWen Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    Updated to public version 1.32 , this bug came along with it.
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I did not see this with either 1.31 or current 1.32 versions.
    hmmmmm.....weird