Steam Hardware Survey - Rift vs. Vive and WMR - results from August 2019 included — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Steam Hardware Survey - Rift vs. Vive and WMR - results from August 2019 included

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,041 Valuable Player
edited September 5 in General
Latest results:

These results are compared, at least for the Rift, to August when Rift peaked at 0.35 %. Since August 2018 Rift has decreased about 6 % (from 0.35 to 0.33). Vive also decreased.  

Compared to other HMDs we see from April to September (note that this image hasn't been updated to October yet):

When updated to October I'd expect:

Rift = 45 %
Vive = 42 %
WMR = 8 %
Vive Pro = 3 %
Rift DK2 = 1 %

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

BTW - some history:

April 2018:
Oculus Rift 0.20%
HTC Vive 0.18%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%
Unknown 0.00%

July 2018:
Oculus Rift 0.32%
HTC Vive 0.31%
Windows Mixed Reality 0.05%
HTC Vive Pro 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK2 0.01%
Oculus Rift DK1 0.00%

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"

Comments

• jayhawkjayhawk Posts: 808
    3Jane
    I don't ever put credence in Steam surveys. Too many variables. It's useless info
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,041 Valuable Player
    According to Tom's Hardware, The Steam Hardware Survey should be reliable since April 2018. But of course it only shows Steam users.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/steam-hardware-survey-cpu-gpu,37007.html
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 422
    Trinity
    Sounds like only entry level users and higher end enthusiasts are still buying headsets. Us "mainstream" VR peons are content, and we're not recruiting enough of our kind.

I will note, there is a segment of WMR purchasers that initially buy a WMR headset thinking it has all the advantages of a Rift/Vive but for half the price. Then they learn otherwise after buying it and later upgrade to a Rift/Vive system for the full VR experience.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 1,568 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    RuneSR2 said:
    Latest results:

I guess it's more or less a stand still since July for Rift and the original Vive... I don't think the Odyssey+ has had any impact on the WMR results above, the Odyssey+ is much too new - if it'll have any impact, it won't be before the Steam Hardware Survey November 2018 results. 
    There was a big sale for WMR headsets in october and a big one for the old Odyssey which may have had impact. It got bumped down to 350. But yea, I doubt the + contributed to much yet or if it will since the fit issues are a big deterrence.
    edited November 2018
    pyroth309 said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    Latest results:

There was a big sale for WMR headsets in october and a big one for the old Odyssey which may have had impact. It got bumped down to 350. But yea, I doubt the + contributed to much yet or if it will since the fit issues are a big deterrence.

I guess the WMR does have several advantages like being inexpensive, having no need the external sensors (=easy to take with you when visiting friends etc), nice semi-high-res HMDs and the power of several giant companies to drive the sales (Samsung, HP, Lenovo, Dell, Acer - and Microsoft). 

BTW, the April - October chart just arrived:

It does look like WMR has doubled its presence since April. DK2 is slowly leaving while Oculus and HTC seem to have unchanged market shares. Note this picture only shows the development of HMD market shares (based on Steam users) - these numbers will always add up to 100% and say nothing about the exact number of sold HMDs. So if WMR grows, something else have to shrink in this chart... I don't think Pimax is even present in this chart. 

Fun thing, last evening I started Steam and was again invited to submit my data to the Steam Hardware Survey, which I did. So my Rift is included in next month's Survey. Also I've been doing statistics for many years, it's impressive how small the variation seems to be in the Steam Hardware Survey numbers, typically that would require a massive amount of measurements. I have no idea how many users participate in the Survey each months, but I'd suspect a number *much* higher than a thousand.

For the last many months it seems that about 0.70 - 0.75 % of Steam users have a VR HMD connected to their PC. Would be great to see that number reach just 1% (which would then correspond to something like 1 million active users)... More Steam VR math here:

https://www.roadtovr.com/new-valve-data-suggests-648000-active-vr-headsets-on-steam/

Like Pimax, Nvidia RTX is not present at all in the October 2018 Survey - but only 1.5% of Steam users have 1080 Tis and only 2.7% have  1080s, so I'd expect RTX to be much smaller than 1080 Ti due to the prices and availability. The most popular video cards were 1060, 1050 Ti, 1050 and 750 Ti - and these video cards all increased their presence in the October 2018 Survey (for tethered VR to grow a lot, owners of such video cards should be the main target - not RTX owners ;-)

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 462
    Trinity
    for tethered VR to grow a lot, owners of such video cards should be the main target - not RTX owners ;-)

Exactly. Oculus and HTC already made that mistake for their first headset (back when they were released, the 10's generation wasn't even out).
    Current VR results imo:
    - Great small apps. Great ports of bigger games.
    - Great VR-specific features. Not enough showcased!!!
    - Too many actors in the industry, the market is totally broken.

My hopes for VR next gen:

- Better ratio between visual quality and power needs. No more godrays and less SDE.
    - Full Body Tracking.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 526
    Neo
    edited November 2018
    Price will no doubt be a factor here, i have seen quite a lot of the WMR headsets on sale of late, even here in the UK which has been almost a arid desert VR market wise, but of late you could get a new one for £199 over the last few months, even cheaper than the PSVR which is the £220 mark, so that might be the price point joe public likes that will make them dip their toes in, that and the fact you don't need a silly price video card into the bargain, a GTX1050 and a WMR are very well priced for joe public to get into VR.

OmegaM4N said:
    Price will no doubt be a factor here, i have seen quite a lot of the WMR headsets on sale of late, even here in the UK which has been almost a arid desert VR market wise, but of late you could get a new one for £199 over the last few months, even cheaper than the PSVR which is the £220 mark, so that might be the price point joe public likes that will make them dip their toes in, that and the fact you don't need a silly price video card into the bargain, a GTX1050 and a WMR are very well priced for joe public to get into VR.

You're probably quite right regarding the price and WMR popularity - I think the massive Rift bump in summer/autumn 2017 was caused by the major reduction in price:

Neo
    ^^Yeah you are spot on as i was one of many that grabbed the rift last summer at that price. ;)
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,241
    Wintermute
    Ya, wmr looks good price wise, until you find out it’s a crappy VR system with very poor support.

I started off with wmr late last year and while I did get it to work ok I had heaps of problems with it, especially after each and every win10 update.

I switched over to a rift 6 months ago and this has worked great for me.

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors.

Neo
    ^^^I have had a great time with all three VR systems, Rift, Dell visor and the PSVR, i am now completly VR ready for the next evolution of VR, so hopefully we get close to the perfect VR headset next time.

• kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,618 Valuable Player
    Roll on Phase Five.... 2022?
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited December 2018
    Numbers from November just arrived - things are looking better - if something happened Black Friday it won't show before Dec results are ready by the end of this month. November results:

A 0.05% increase isn't bad - at least it shows progress, and more progress than in recent months (due to winter? People are using more time indoors?). If the Odyssey+ had an impact on WMR we also may not see it before the end of this month - it seems that Odyssey+ hmds were low in stock and shipping often delayed.

Rift still dominates:

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/Steam-Hardware-Software-Survey-Welcome-to-Steam

edited January 4
    December 2018 results have arrived:

I was expecting to see a larger impact of the Black Friday sales, when you could get the Rift for just $350, but maybe they all went under Christmas trees - in that case we won't see the impact for at least another month. 

0.80 % of all Steam users may now have/use a PCVR HMD. At least that's a 100% increase since April 2018, where 0.40 % had a PCVR HMD. Then again, in July the numbers were 0.70%, so not much seems to have happened this autumn. 

Back to the December 2018 results, Vive Pro is still more or less dead in the water and the small increase in WMR may be related to Samsung Odyssey+. Oculus Rift gained about 3% from November, but that's probably far from enough to really make Oculus happy... 

And then the video cards:

GTX 1060 = 14.80 %
    GTX 1070 = 4.02 %
    GTX 1080 = 2.75 %
    GTX 1080 Ti = 1.62 % 
    RTX 2070 = 0.16 %
    RTX 2080 = 0.21 %
    RTX 2080 Ti = not present = less than 0.15 %

LZoltowski wrote "there are more VR headsets in use than RTX 2080 + RTX 2070 combined". Of course this number will probably grow, as persons thinking about getting a 1080 Ti now may prefer the RTX 2080. The RTX 2070 may be a very interesting card, typically placed between 1080 and 1080 Ti regarding performance, and the RTX 2070 has similar power consumption like the GTX 1080. Still to get better performance in VR games than a 1080 Ti can provide you'll need a 2080 Ti.  

Just saw that UploadVR made an article about the Steam Hardware Surveys from the last year - and have made a nice illustration:

steam hardware survey pc vr oculus rift htc vive windows mr

Source: https://uploadvr.com/vr-steam-grew-2018/

I'm not that happy about the flattening of the curves starting summer 2018, let's hope for a strong Christmas sale - líke described here:

https://uploadvr.com/oculus-rift-strong-demand-holidays/?fbclid=IwAR288M1MvjHJO2WOWtlmA85PZ6jUBgOsDFkvn_7kmoUuM7kkX1dFphjuHMI

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,551 Valuable Player
    edited January 4
    Summer is when people are less likly to want to wear a VR headset due to the heat and been outdoors. Looks like Oculus sales steadily increased around Christmas, while Vive sales had the flat bar around that time. Looking at the graphs it will be a good idea to see the Oculus Quest arrive in April..
  • Hiro_Protag0nistHiro_Protag0nist Posts: 4,792 Valuable Player
    I'm shocked to see the Vive Pro hasn't taken off - it really is a great headset.

I wish Oculus had reduced the price of the Rift for Christmas (yes, lower than £379).  I'm thinking £299.  Would have been a great seller at that price i think.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,551 Valuable Player
    edited January 4
    I'm shocked to see the Vive Pro hasn't taken off - it really is a great headset.

I wish Oculus had reduced the price of the Rift for Christmas (yes, lower than £379).  I'm thinking £299.  Would have been a great seller at that price i think.

The Vive Pro is to expensive for a lot of people that's why it's not selling well. It's the same reason why you think Oculus might have sold lots more headsets for £299 and not £379. You could say the Vive Pro might have sold lots if it dropped it's price to £400..
    RedRizla said:

The Vive Pro is to expensive for a lot of people that's why it's not selling well. It's the same reason why you think Oculus might have sold lots more headsets for £299 and not £379. You could say the Vive Pro might have sold lots if it dropped it's price to £400..

Do you know what - i thought that a couple of minutes after posting.  The reasons i haven't bought a Vive Pro are:

1. it isn't a big enough step up from the Rift.  It is a step up, just not big enough.
    2. Price.

I suppose i would love to see the Rift sell more, hence i want them to drop the price.  I'm surprised the Pro hasn't sold more but i'm not as bothered if they do or don't.
    Thanks for sharing @RuneSR2 - very interesting, was surprised that we did not see a peak during the Black Friday sales as well. It will be fascinating to see how the Oculus Go has done over the holidays.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    RedRizla said:

Not entirely accurate @RedRizla - we are seeing an incredible number of Vive Pro sales in commercial entertainment - and as the majority do not use Steam the numbers do not reflect this! 

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited January 4
    kevinw729 said:
    RedRizla said:

Not entirely accurate @RedRizla - we are seeing an incredible number of Vive Pro sales in commercial entertainment - and as the majority do not use Steam the numbers do not reflect this! 

We only sell Vives (Vive Pro now - the majority wireless).  Now, they do use Steam (before connecting to our own software), but are these recorded in the survey?  Or is it an actual survey that a user completes??
    edited January 4
    kevinw729 said:
    Thanks for sharing @RuneSR2 - very interesting, was surprised that we did not see a peak during the Black Friday sales as well. It will be fascinating to see how the Oculus Go has done over the holidays.

You're welcome - and yes, it would be great to see a new Rift increase like in the summer/autumn 2017 (red circle):

I hope Quest can get more people interested in PCVR - for now, Go doesn't seem to have persuaded many users to advance to the Rift. Quest will be interesting - for the same amount people could buy and XBox One X instead (or close)... or the Rift, hopefully Quest isn't too expensive for casual users. 

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 1,189
    Wintermute
    On another note Amazon has sold out of Rift´s and wont have any on stock till in 14 days.
    Be good, die great !
    RuneSR2 said:
    I hope Quest can get more people interested in PCVR - for now, Go doesn't seem to have persuaded many users to advance to the Rift. Quest will be interesting - for the same amount people could buy and XBox One X instead (or close)... or the Rift, hopefully Quest isn't too expensive for casual users. 
    I hope you are right that they are prepared to make the system accessible to the "casual user", but I am concerned that the secrecy over what the sales will be will have a knock-on with software support. Other than those that are being commissioned there seems to be a "wait and see" attitude from developers looking at Quest.

I understand that there is no obligation to OVR to share sales numbers - though recent departures have filled the holes for many of us. My issue is that in order to build momentum it may help if they lower the curtain to encourage developers - especially as there will not be a Steam equivalent regarding penetration of Quest users. 

Hiro_Protag0nist said:
    Maybe there are NO MORE!  Maybe the new stock will be...  RIFT 2!

I think we have seen this before - some retailers before a major release clear stock towards ascertaining the popularity of the new line. Though that said many retailers that had VR lines on shelves have been clearing space (whats happening at the Microsoft Stores' a case in point). But this seems more to do with the inability of the lines to hit targets than preparation for a new system.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    edited January 5
    kevinw729 said:
    RedRizla said:

Edited my reply - wasn't very clear - i'm not talking about an entire market (consumer or Out of Home):

We (the company I work for - a VR software business (CAD)) only sell Vives (Vive Pro now - the majority wireless).  Now, they do use Steam (before connecting to our own software), but are these recorded in the survey?  Or is it an actual survey that a user completes??

To clarify: we also supply the hardware as packages.  It was always Vives at an early stage due to them having controllers and a "business edition".
    To clarify: we also supply the hardware as packages.  It was always Vives at an early stage due to them having controllers and a "business edition".

@Hiro_Protag0nist - just a quick question, sell any Oculus CV1 BE's?

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    kevinw729 said:

@Hiro_Protag0nist - just a quick question, sell any Oculus CV1 BE's?

I'm pretty sure that's a no.  We have plenty of customers who already have CV1s though.

As for the Vive Pros with wireless and "sold out" - we are having a nightmare getting hold of enough of those (the wireless kits).
    Hiro_Protag0nist said:
    As for the Vive Pros with wireless and "sold out" - we are having a nightmare getting hold of enough of those (the wireless kits).

Yeah, we feel your pain @Hiro_Protag0nist - the whole sector has spotted a scarcity of supply, and it is not helped by a reorg of management within HTC regarding the VR operation. I think after CES we will be in a better position to ascertain the availability of Vivwe, Vive Pro and the new FOCUS 6DoF.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **