New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Steam Hardware Survey - Rift vs. Vive and WMR - results from November 2019 included

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 3,965 Valuable Player
    edited August 6
    I do think Rift-S will grow much more, it's inexpensive and easy to set up. Index launched June 28, so many Index HMDs may not have had much time to register if Valve measured HMDs during all of July, and the availability is limited. But Snowdog wins this time, sigh ;) Right now the results indicate that for each Index sold, 6 Rift-S HMDs were sold - might not be a completely unreliable trend due to the massive difference in price and availability. 
    Index is not far from Vive Pro which became available April 2018. Interesting to see how things look when Index becomes widely available. I'd suspect Vive owners to adopt Index more than Rift owners, also because Vive owners may not need to buy new base stations. 
    All in all still doesn't look good going from 1.00% HMDs to 0.98% during the last month - would so much have liked to see increased adoption of PCVR, not what looks to be a small decline (indicating old users changing to a new HMD, and some maybe abandoning PCVR and going for the Quest). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 7,153 Valuable Player
    The Snowdog wins 99% of the time. B)

It'll probably end up selling around the same rate as the Vive Pro but if they made an effort to sell the things in retail they could comfortably outsell the Vive Pro I think. But that would mean effort, something that Valve stopped making around the same time they stopped be able to count to three. Wankers.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:

It'll probably end up selling around the same rate as the Vive Pro but if they made an effort to sell the things in retail they could comfortably outsell the Vive Pro I think. But that would mean effort, something that Valve stopped making around the same time they stopped be able to count to three. Wankers.

I do believe the Index will greatly outsell Vive Pro - because Index has controllers that work quite a lot like Touch and do offer a new dimension for hand representation, unlike those dreaded wands. The wands were my main issue with HTC, their oled HMDs did look fine to me and the tracking too. Wands and lack of awesome software content may be the biggest problems for HTC, interesting if Valve can do something to increase awesome VR content - for all PCVR users, like Valve has promised... 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1 - the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• jabjab Posts: 209
    Nexus 6
    snowdog said:
    And 99% of the world can't buy or even pre-order a index yet..
    jab said:
    snowdog said:

It won't sell even when they can, they'll need to cut the price first. Like I've said it might do okay to begin with but once the launch window has come and gone those sales will drop like a lead balloon.

They won't be able to sustain decent sales for long.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

snowdog said:
    jab said:
    snowdog said:

It won't sell even when they can, they'll need to cut the price first. Like I've said it might do okay to begin with but once the launch window has come and gone those sales will drop like a lead balloon.

Seems like Rolex is still a thing - both Ferrari and Lamborghini haven't gone belly up too! ;) Because things are expensive don't always mean that they won't sell and survive. 

Yesterday was my last chance to refund the Index, it was an easy choice to keep it, to me it truly feels like a CV2. But I still have the CV1 + 3 sensors connected, I like having some security when going on new adventures, lol. 

RuneSR2 said:
    snowdog said:
    jab said:
    snowdog said:

Seems like Rolex is still a thing - both Ferrari and Lamborghini haven't gone belly up too! ;) Because things are expensive don't always mean that they won't sell and survive. 

Yesterday was my last chance to refund the Index, it was an easy choice to keep it, to me it truly feels like a CV2. But I still have the CV1 + 3 sensors connected, I like having some security when going on new adventures, lol. 

The difference is the gulf in quality. With a Rolex or Ferrari there's a HUGE gap between them and a more affordable watch or car. The Valve Index isn't a clear set up from a Rift S, Pimax or a Reverb. If it had a Reverb/Pimax resolution and/or a Pimax FOV I would have bought one like a shot at its current price. It's a 1600p headset with a slightly larger FOV and is overpriced for what it is.

If it was $200/£200 cheaper than it launched for it probably would have over half the amount of sales between the Rift S and the Index. At its current price it won't sell a great deal, and we'll see that being reflected in the next Steam Survey. It'll sell better because it would have had a full month of sales data but it won't come close to selling as much as the Rift S. Probably won't be less than 4:1 of Rift S:Valve Index I reckon compared to the 6:1 seen in this latest Steam Survey.

• OculusHomieOculusHomie Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    If that was the case no one would buy the Index full stop. People buy the Index because they value the extra FOV, they value the headphones, they value the extra resolution, they value the IPD adjustment, they value the Knuckles finger tracking, they value the squeeze function, they value the tracking, they value the comfort. That’s whats makes it worth buying for. 

Why did you buy the RiftS as it’s not that big an upgrade over the Rift. Tracking worse, FOV the same, Controllers worse, sound quality worse. Everything about Rift S is worse apart from the resolution right?

If that was the case no one would buy the Index full stop. People buy the Index because they value the extra FOV, they value the headphones, they value the extra resolution, they value the IPD adjustment, they value the Knuckles finger tracking, they value the squeeze function, they value the tracking, they value the comfort. That’s whats makes it worth buying for. 

Why did you buy the RiftS as it’s not that big an upgrade over the Rift. Tracking worse, FOV the same, Controllers worse, sound quality worse. Everything about Rift S is worse apart from the resolution right?

The Rift S is $399/£399, has considerably less SDE, considerably less god rays, better for glasses wearers and no messing around with sensors. If the Rift S was $599/£599 I wouldn't have bought it. Oculus have priced their headset at a sensible level.

Enthusiasts have bought or will buy the Valve Index but they're only a small minority of potential customers, which is why it won't sell anywhere near as much as the Rift S. My guestimation as I've stated above is that the Rift S will outsell the Valve Index 4:1 unless Valve bring that price down. Now that may not be correct but it isn't going to be too far off I reckon.

edited August 7
    Saw that the cheapest new Ferrari will set you back about 200k, isn't that about 4 times more expensive than a nice normal car? Lol. Each to his own, just saw that some dude ditched his high-end headphones because he liked the Index better. Depending on your frame of reference, the Index may indeed provide a huge gap in quality.

I tried Transpose yesterday, lenses all dialed in, fov was really huge, performance was better than CV1 (had to use low detail for CV1 ss 2.0, but in that game detail levels only affect quality of shadows, not textures), but Index image quality was so much better - and now I got perfect 90 fps even using the highest settings.
    Even more mindblowing was Shadow Legend - got solid 90 fps using max settings and ss 2.0 (CV1) in that game, but now I could crank up ss to 1.3 using Index, which had quite an impact, image quality was beyond awesome - and combined with the game's 3D sound and the huge fov I'd say it was the gulf in quality compared to CV1 ss 2.0. I could see many small details that were impossible to see using the CV1. It was a different level of presence.

• OculusHomieOculusHomie Posts: 29
    Brain Burst
    snowdog said:

The Rift S is $399/£399, has considerably less SDE, considerably less god rays, better for glasses wearers and no messing around with sensors. If the Rift S was $599/£599 I wouldn't have bought it. Oculus have priced their headset at a sensible level.

Enthusiasts have bought or will buy the Valve Index but they're only a small minority of potential customers, which is why it won't sell anywhere near as much as the Rift S. My guestimation as I've stated above is that the Rift S will outsell the Valve Index 4:1 unless Valve bring that price down. Now that may not be correct but it isn't going to be too far off I reckon.
    There’s no doubt something that costs $399 is going to sell twice as much as something that cost $799 regardless of what it is. People have limits.

Vive use to be rival to Rift. Index is the rival to Vive Pro. But until Cosmos is released RiftS has no competition at that price point. Ok Cosmos is half way between RiftS and Index spec wise but that’s reflected in price.

Its good we have all bases covered. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,777 Valuable Player
    edited August 7
    I'm just glad there's a VR headset for everyone's taste. The HTC Cosmos is the headset I'll be looking at because it has all the features I want and maybe more. I was a bit down because I had hoped Oculus would cater for the higher end market too, but there's other headsets to choose from now so it's no biggy.
    snowdog said:

The Oculus Rift S is a much cheaper VR headset because it's shaved off a lot off things other headsets have. Had Oculus Rift S added headphones, higher resolution screens, an ipd adjuster, colour pass through camera's, the ability to connect to your mobile phone and a flip up front. Then I'm sure the Oculus Rift S would have been priced at £599 or higher.
    RedRizla said:
    snowdog said:

The Oculus Rift S is a much cheaper VR headset because it's shaved off a lot off things other headsets have. Had Oculus Rift S added headphones, higher resolution screens, an ipd adjuster, colour pass through camera's, the ability to connect to your mobile phone and a flip up front. Then I'm sure the Oculus Rift S would have been priced at £599 or higher.

I'm not against inside-out tracking if they get it right - and it seems Oculus already has come a long way. A great price problem for the Index is the base stations - these are mechanical and I'm sure not cheap to make (must be of high quality to ensure they'll work for many years), each base station is currently priced at $160 - so that's $320 just for the tracking (very close to the full price of the entire Rift-S!). If Valve used inside-out tracking, maybe they could lower the Index kit price to $699 or something - but tracking is really perfect using the base stations (I have no occlusions by furniture or other objects and you can use up to 4 base stations if needed). Until I'm sure to get perfect tracking using inside-out I don't mind paying for the base station. (I think they look quite awesome - like small high-tech statues, lol.) The HMD cable is also at least 50% thicker than the CV1 cable and 5 meters long (15 feet or something), which oozes of quality, but probably doesn't make things cheaper. The Knuckles feel of much higher quality in the materials than old Touch, same goes for the Index HMD, seems like Valve did very little to cut corners, while Rift-S cut quite a lot of corners. In many ways you could consider the Index an optimal version of Rift-S, where you get awesome sound, mechanical IPD, much higher fov, refresh rates from 80 to 144, perfect tracking, higher res and I'd say even much better controllers - but like buying hi-fi systems the last percentages of awesomeness are costly. 
    Cosmos does look interesting, looking forward to the first reviews. My biggest problem with the Index is lack of true blacks, but neither Rift-S nor Cosmos can fix that. 

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 4,089 Valuable Player
    edited August 8
    There’s no doubt something that costs $399 is going to sell twice as much as something that cost $799 regardless of what it is. People have limits.

Vive use to be rival to Rift. Index is the rival to Vive Pro. But until Cosmos is released RiftS has no competition at that price point. Ok Cosmos is half way between RiftS and Index spec wise but that’s reflected in price.

Its good we have all bases covered. 
    Is index a rival to the vivepro?
    I would say index supersedes  the vive pro in just about every area except for black levels (OLED) and is cheaper.

I would say the index annihilates the vivepro to be honest. (I say this but have never used an index and just going on comments here).

Oculus have done really well imo with riftS and with Quest.... the issue I have with them is as an enthusiast - and we have a heavy bias of them here on these forums is they do not really offer the product that i want to buy....

it does not mean the riftS or quest isnt a great device.... just that they need to (hopefully) increase their portfolio with another device.  They are not going to bring out a £1000 package, it just isnt how they roll....... but I still hold out hope for a £600-£700 package and because of how they make their money I think they could bring out an index type level of hardware for that price.....

Only with the advantage of the Oculus infrastructure behind it... That is why I am still with Oculus even though the hardware that I have is looking a little last gen now, and their replacement does not really excite me.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    edited August 8
    @RuneSR2 -  The one thing I'm waiting for is to see if the HTC Cosmos can do both inside out tracking and also use external sensors. There is talk that it can do this, but we also heard the same rumour about Rift S being able to do this at one point. I'm not a fan of inside out tracking myself until it has proven itself and I don't think it has when I see some people's complaints about it in these forums. I don't see the same complaints about external sensors, so I guess that tells me which is the better of the two systems.

RedRizla said:
    @RuneSR2 -  The one thing I'm waiting for is to see if the HTC Cosmos can do both inside out tracking and also use external sensors. There is talk that it can do this, but we also heard the same rumour about Rift S being able to do this at one point. I'm not a fan of inside out tracking myself until it has proven itself and I don't think it has when I see some people's complaints about it in these forums. I don't see the same complaints about external sensors, so I guess that tells me which is the better of the two systems.

Agreed - I bought the Index because I wanted a better experience than the CV1 without hardware sacrifices (like tracking, IPD and audio quality). And even if I'm stuck mostly at 90 Hz/fps using my GTX 1080, there's no doubt that 120 and even 144 Hz/fps (1:1 ratio) greatly improves presence - I'm really not much into supporting 72 or 80 Hz devices with the contents of my wallet.
    Also even if Vavle is terribly slow, they are making efforts to support PCVR with new high-quality software content, which I don't think HTC has ever done, and supporting Valve's commitment to improve PCVR by making new enthusiast hardware and hopefully great software content also was a factor when I decided getting the Index. $600 more for getting most things right compared to Rift-S is just 50% of the cost of a 2080 Ti ;) If I use Index for 24 months that's just $25 per month, lol. 

edited September 5
    Results from August just arrived:

Current number indicates that 1.04% of Steam users have a HMD connected. At least we're beyond 1% - last month the number was 0.98 %, maybe not a bad increase this month (0.06%), assuming that a lot of Steam users who don't own a HMD didn't close their Steam account ;)

And:

Rift-S seems to outsell Index about 3 to 1, maybe not bad considering the Index is 2.5 times more expensive. Of course some Rift-S users may not be using Steam, while all Index users use Steam, which may create a bias. 

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,290 Volunteer Moderator
    edited September 6

Could it be that Oculus users switching from CV1 to Rift-S plus a some new users... and Vive owners switching to Index. But with the Oculus switch happening to a much greater extent. Difficult to be sure at this stage.

If so, I suppose it's not too surprising given that lighthouse owners would be much more inclined just get the Index headset. Whereas Oculus users probably want to keep the software infrastructure and native hardware support that they enjoy while upgrading their resolution with no hardware hit. Would have liked to see a larger increase in VR users overall though, hopefully there is a greater increase but possibly not picked up if a percentage of Oculus users who aren't using Steam.

Well, I think a lot of Oculus users use Steam but not as often. I assume if an Oculus user uses Steam half as much as Vive/Index users, the chances of them being captured by a Steam survey request would be half. Unless the request goes to users and is queued until the next log in.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.535)
  • ShocksVRShocksVR Posts: 468
    Trinity
    edited September 5

Well, I think a lot of Oculus users use Steam but not as often. I assume if an Oculus user uses Steam half as much as Vive/Index users, the chances of them being captured by a Steam survey request would be half. Unless the request goes to users and is cued until the next log in.

I believe that's correct.  STEAM survey tends to opt for those who tend to use it more, especially considering you have to be actively logged in to get the STEAM survey.

By my own anecdotal experience, I have been using STEAMVR more since No Mans Sky released. And just a few days ago I got a STEAM survey.  It's my first survey after 18+ months without one (my last steam survey was sometime in early 2018; which I think I was playing a ton of Fallout4VR and SkyrimVR at that time).
    So ya, I served my headset and was part of the Rift S numbers.
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus Rift S
    Oculus GO
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    edited September 6
    Achieved in just 2 months, Index is now 50% ahead of Vive Pro. Vive Pro launched 17 months ago (April 5 2018). 

UploadVR just published an article about the latest data from Steam - like Index doubling in August and Rift-S getting ahead of WMR:

https://uploadvr.com/august-2019-hardware-survey/

edited October 2
    Results from September 2019 just arrived:

Interesting that Rift CV1 didn't change - and HTC Vive owners showed a similar trend. People may be keeping their oldies but goodies... 

August numbers indicated that 1.04% of Steam users had a HMD connected, September numbers indicate a rise to 1.09%. Looks like a slow but steady growth during the last year - and it's never been higher. WMR has been significantly reduced, sadly no sign of any Reverb impact. 
    Exactly one year ago, 0.73% of Steam users had a HMD connected, today it's 1.09% - a change of 49%. During the last year - if the number of Steam users wasn't reduced - the number of Steam users with a PCVR hmd grew at least 49% (even more if the number of Steam users increased the last year). That's not a bad trend for VR adoption.

Unknown HMDs are now about 25% of the pile - probably consisting mostly of Rift-S and Index HMDs. In more detail:

Compared to August, Index has risen exactly 50% - from 3.32% to 4.98%. Rift-S has risen from 10.85% to 13.03% (= 20% increase). CV1 and HTC Vive still dominate and account for about 70% of the hmds. Still Rift-S and Index are close to 20% combined, not a bad result only a few months after launch. 
    Exactly 1 year ago, CV1 had 47% of the share, now CV1 + Rift-S have 49% of the share - so has Oculus PCVR grown its marked share? - Maybe, but not by much according to the above SteamVR numbers. 

WMR seems heavily reduced - possibly due to being assimilated by the Borg ;)

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 594
    Neo
    edited October 2
    ^^How can the Vive be down 1%, i just bought one last week. :o

Funny thing is the second time i started up steamVR  last week with the Vive connected the steam survey thing popped up.......just goes to show you steam are always watching you and your PC. lol
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 1,509
    Project 2501
    @RuneSR2 Do you think that Valve is selling close to as many Index units as Rift S?  My wild guess would be that the Rift S sells at least 10x more units than the Index (and probably HP Reverb combined).

As this is a Valve survey it's kinda interesting that they have not made a separate Index category for it.  Maybe just because it is too early to show #'s? 

@OmegaM4N Vive #'s will be up next week when I get my new Vive Cosmos, lol!

Custom built gaming desktop; i9 9900k (water cooled) oc to 5ghz, gtx 1080 ti (from my old AGA), 32 gb 3000hz ram, 1 tb ssd, 4 tb hdd.  Asus  ROG Maximus xi hero wifi mb, StarTech 4 port/4 controller sata powered usb3.0 pcie card, Asus VG248QE 1080p 144hz gaming monitor, Oculus Rift cv1 w/2x sensors, Vive Pro, Vive Cosmos, Vive Wireless.

TomCgcmfc said:
    @RuneSR2 Do you think that Valve is selling close to as many Index units as Rift S?  My wild guess would be that the Rift S sells at least 10x more units than the Index (and probably HP Reverb combined).

As this is a Valve survey it's kinda interesting that they have not made a separate Index category for it.  Maybe just because it is too early to show #'s? 

I'd assume that Oculus are selling many more Rift-S hmds compared to sold Indices. Maybe not 10:1, compared to statistics and Index Kit being on page 1 concerning most sold items on Steam for weeks, something like 3:1 or 2:1 would be my guess. Valve has provided numbers for Index market share, kinda strange they still use the "Unknown" category - maybe they don't want to expose all numbers, lol. But since they can separate Rift-S from Index when it comes to market share, it's hard to understand why they can't reveal the hidden content of the "Unknown" category. 

Interesting to see if Cosmos makes an entry next month - and maybe then Reverb can do some good for the WMR numbers!

• OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 594
    Neo
    TomCgcmfc said:

Oh now that is nice, can't wait for your hands on review.......i was looking at the Cosmos and i might have bought one if i had had at least the Vive basestations, but as i have them now i will look at this HMD in say a year or two and see how it is faring with that external tracking faceplate they have coming for it.
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,821 Valuable Player

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited November 3
    Results from October 2019 - might not be as bad as they look:

September 2019 1.04% of Steam users had PCVR hmds attached to their rigs, but October revealed a reduction to 1.03% This may be because Windows Mixed Reality had Reverb included in "Unknown" hmd category last month... So it's only a 0.01% reduction, but in spite of the new HMDs or Asgard's Wrath, we can't see any increased adoption of PCVR. Maybe all were playing Asgard's Wrath and failed to participate in the poll, lol? 

Not much happened here - Rift-S gained 1%, Index is still 5%. 

Then again, maybe many aren't buying PCVR hmds this close to Black Friday and so close to Oculus Link... Maybe some got rid of PCVR and bought a Quest...

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 5,290 Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 3

I think Quest is affecting the figures, Link, for sure, is causing some people to wait and see how that performs before deciding on getting a PCVR dedicated headset. Some people may just want to spend money on a single headset and have decided stand-alone is good enough to satisfy their VR needs, at least until they decide they want a little more.

Edit: Index has been showing as being in the top 5 selling items on Steam since launch, usually 2nd or 3rd but that doesn't seem to be reflected in the hardware survey unless I'm misinterpreting something. Is the top-selling list... erm... aspirational?

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18363.535)