New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Steam Hardware Survey - November 2020 results included

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 8,120 Valuable Player
    Alyx runs so well with high quality textures because it's a corridor shooter. Sure, it has plenty of optimisation, but technically Asgard's Wrath is a more impressive title.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 7,433 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    Alyx runs so well with high quality textures because it's a corridor shooter. Sure, it has plenty of optimisation, but technically Asgard's Wrath is a more impressive title.
    Sure, but Alyx has several open area locations where the view distance is at least as high as in Asgard's Wrath - just take the opening scene in Alyx which is far more impressive than anything I've seen in Asgard's Wrath. Still performance feels like 2-3 x better in Alyx than in Asgard's Wrath. Probably due to incredible optimization skills among Valve devs. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • dburnedburne Posts: 4,427 Valuable Player
    RuneSR2 said:
    snowdog said:
    Sure, but Alyx has several open area locations where the view distance is at least as high as in Asgard's Wrath - just take the opening scene in Alyx which is far more impressive than anything I've seen in Asgard's Wrath. Still performance feels like 2-3 x better in Alyx than in Asgard's Wrath. Probably due to incredible optimization skills among Valve devs. 
    I agree with you on Alyx having several open area locations with a large view distance that look and perform great.
    But IMHO Asgard's Wrath opening scene I found way more impressive than Alyx' opening scene.
    But I do like Alyx more than Asgard's Wrath.
    Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
    dburne said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    snowdog said:
    I agree with you on Alyx having several open area locations with a large view distance that look and perform great.
    But IMHO Asgard's Wrath opening scene I found way more impressive than Alyx' opening scene.
    But I do like Alyx more than Asgard's Wrath.
    Also I experienced Asgard's Wrath with the CV1, while I experienced everything in Alyx with Index max FOV and res looking close to 200% - of course choice of hmd may have impacted my experience a lot. Alyx looks beyond stunning using the Index, also in regard to textures which are of a much higher quality than in Asgard's Wrath (even if textures do look nice in Asgard's Wrath). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz gpu boost, 11 GHz mem speed); 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 961 Evo M.2 SSD 128GB (for OS) + Samsung EVO 860 4TB SSD (for games) + Toshiba P300 High-Performance HDD 3TB (for games); Win10 OS; Valve Index and Oculus Rift CV1, the latter nearly always using super sampling 2.0.

• jabjab Posts: 314
    Trinity
    If Value had made anything but a well optimized SteamVR game, I would be very, very worried for the future of SteamVR.
    edited November 2020
    jab said:
    If Value had made anything but a well optimized SteamVR game, I would be very, very worried for the future of SteamVR.
    Agreed, but Alyx makes nearly all other VR games look like something the cat dragged in, lol. Thinking about it - that may be a serious problem (might already be for some, read that some dude had completely Alyx 5 times since nothing else compared). 

After completing Alyx and thereby sort of losing the game, can't say I didn't feel nearly exactly like this :blush: 

RuneSR2 said:
    jab said:
    Agreed, but Alyx makes nearly all other VR games look like something the cat dragged in, lol. Thinking about it - that may be a serious problem (might already be for some, read that some dude had completely Alyx 5 times since nothing else compared). 

After completing Alyx and thereby sort of losing the game, can't say I didn't feel nearly exactly like this :blush: 

Ok seriously - I highly suggest you give yourself a break - say a min vacation - from PC gaming...
     ;) 

Don

EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 3090 FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case| Rift S | Quest |
  • jabjab Posts: 314
    Trinity
    edited November 2020
    RuneSR2 said:
    Guess I am lucky since I mostly do simracing, and cockpit games are a perfect fit for VR.
    You can even to some degree justify the narrow FoV, by pretending it is the racing helmet obstructing your view.
  • Steam Hardware Survey no longer displays VR headsets. It could be a temporary bug, but Valve likely just wiped it off themselves. Could be the end of Valve's commitment to VR. I seriously hope not...
    Hyped for the Quest 2!

My hopes for VR next gen:
    - Full Body Tracking. Come on, Oculus!
    - Eye tracking with foveated rendering. Must reduce the power needs!
    - More big-scale games. I need a true VRMMORPG!
    - Bigger community.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    Nah, I doubt it. Probably a bug or something.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Steam Hardware Survey no longer displays VR headsets. It could be a temporary bug, but Valve likely just wiped it off themselves. Could be the end of Valve's commitment to VR. I seriously hope not...
    Yikes!
    I hope not as well.
    Don

• Ok, it came back, so it was just a bug I guess. I have to stop being so negative god d*mn it, lol.
    Hyped for the Quest 2!

My hopes for VR next gen:
    - Full Body Tracking. Come on, Oculus!
    - Eye tracking with foveated rendering. Must reduce the power needs!
    - More big-scale games. I need a true VRMMORPG!
    - Bigger community.

"If you don't mind, do you want me to take you there? Where dreams come true."
    Seems the Quest 2 has arrived - big time:

Not a lot of new users seem to have adopted VR, maybe the above results more illustrate that many users changed from one hmd to Quest 2. Vive and Index got reduced the most - but WMR also got a blow, then again G2s may not show before next month. Shifts from WMR, Vive (Pro) and Index to Quest 2 could explain all movements, lol. 

Shares:

Rift-S dominates by far, and maybe next month Oculus hmds will take both gold and silver ;) 

That's over half the headsets on Steam being Oculus headsets now. 😁

I think the Quest 2 is going to sell like crazy, just like the Wii did years ago. Wouldn't surprise me if they've sold around 2m of the things already 😲

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,855 Valuable Player
    So Oculus shows 57% of the Steam survey thats pretty serious.
    WAAAGH!
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,506 Volunteer Moderator
    edited December 2020
    I'm guessing Steam usage for Oculus owners has increased a bit since the Facebook account requirements were announced with some people thinking games bought there are a safer long-term bet maybe. But at the same time they're buying the hardware that requires the accounts so I'd say that whole situation hasn't been anywhere near as big an issue as some may have thought. There are also a lot of people with Oculus headsets, Quests in particular that just don't use Steam... or even a PC. Stand-alone VR shouldn't be underestimated as an amazingly liberating experience.

It's tempting draw too much of a conclusion from a single month's results but Quest purchases seem to have eaten into the Index and Vive market and not the Rift-S and if true it kind of mirror's my own usage, Rift-S and Quest, bought together was one of the few decisions I haven't regretted.

But it also demonstrates that Facebook could develop another dedicated PCVR headset if they wanted to, without it adversely competing with Quest and vice-versa... I wish they'd reconsider doing that because I think we're at least one more Quest version away from having the perfect all-in-one headset.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,147
    Wintermute
    edited December 2020
    ^^Yeap, it's ironic that a FB made HMD vr device ends up doing great on steamVR platform, so Valve and vr game devs on the platform will be more than happy.  lol
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 16,883 Valuable Player
    edited December 2020
    OmegaM4N said:
    ^^Yeap, it's ironic that a FB made HMD vr device ends up doing great on steamVR platform

I don't believe that's how irony works though. Facebook made a VR HMD that intentionally works on other platforms, including WebVR and Steam. Quest and Rift even work on the Roblox platform.

So this is just normality, not irony. It's not any more ironic than the FireFox Web Browser successfully loading the home page for the Opera web browser lol
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
    Some kinda sad results, the amount of hmds connected among Steam users got from 1.96% to 1.63% during December 2020 - corresponding to a 17% decline:

December 2020

Only Rift-S and Index grew - again strange - I would have thought Quest 2 to show the greatest increase. Instead Quest decreased. Maybe the "Other" category now includes the Quest 2? 

WMR should have showed some boost due to G2 by now, but it did not, in fact WMR got further reduced. 

Rift CV1 took the heaviest beating, sigh. And of course some CV1s may have stopped working, who knows. 

Market shares:

Things are looking steady for Rift-S, Quest and Index, everything else seems more or less in decline...  :|

Just speaking from my own usage, I'm mostly using Quest native Apps. I haven't launched any PCVR applications, Oculus Home or SteamVR, in November and December. Nor going in to the new year.

The main reason is because I'm gaming with family and friends now who don't have PCVR, so we only engage in the Quest native titles.

For example, for the first time since I invested in VR back in 2016 have I spent any time in RecRoom. But me and some family members spent hours together in Rec Room having a blast. All Quest native.

For those of you who are not on Facebook, you can clearly see how many people (from posting their real-life pictures) received multiple Quest 2 headsets for their entire family. They are all gaming Quest native.

The decline in SteamVR stats makes perfect sense based on both my own VR usage and the widespread activity across the various Facebook VR groups.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 6,506 Volunteer Moderator
    I was expecting Quest to show continued growth on Steam tbh.

It could be as Zenbane says, people just using Quests increasingly for stand-alone which for me is the only way I've ever used it.

Plus the run-up to Christmas may be a strange one... families getting together to do stuff other than PC gaming... stand-alone VR is a fun group activity. Streaming from a PC is good too but getting virtual desktop streaming to work can be a hassle for some and PC games don't tend to lend themselves to group fun quite as much as the smaller scale native Quest games, like Beat Saber and The Room. Those games are also available for PC but if you have a Quest you'd be mad not to use them natively.

I wonder if the lock-downs that some countries are having are playing a part... people working at home spending more time with the family doing stuff together, not just gaming.
    Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v2004 (19042.662)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 7,224 Volunteer Moderator
    I unplugged all of my VR headsets when cleaning up for christmas. I've played a couple of games of Audica on my Quest 2, but that's it (and a little bit of the Jurassic Park game, which is cool).

But then again, based on the last time I was part of the Steam survey, if my results were still being counted they would be contributing to the DK1 or DK2 numbers. :)

Author: Oculus Monitor,  Auto Oculus Touch,  Oculus Forum Tool,  Phantom Touch Remover,  Forum Dark Mode,  X-Plane Fixer
    Hardware: Threadripper 1950x, MSI Gaming Trio 2080TI, Asrock X399 Taich
    Headsets: Wrap 1200VR, DK1, DK2, CV1, Rift-S, GearVR, Go, Quest, Quest 2, Reverb G2
  • OmegaM4NOmegaM4N Posts: 1,147
    Wintermute
    Well there have been some sales of the Rift S of late going for £299 as i assume retailer's were pushing to get rid the last of their rift S stock, G2 and Q2 i have no idea what is going on as i thought both would have at least gained and not lost over the last month, maybe the continuing pandemic is making people second guess on luxury niche purchase like a vr hmd, who knows.
  • nalex66nalex66 Posts: 6,371 Volunteer Moderator
    Like Zenbane, I’ve been mostly playing stand-alone Quest tiles, and MOH (Oculus version). I haven’t plugged into SteamVR much in the past few months.

I haven’t used my CV1 since the 90Hz Link update, but I don’t think my Quest has ever been counted in the Steam survey—probably because it doesn’t stay plugged into my PC like the CV1 does. I thought Steam was going to come up with a way to assess Quest use without it needing to be plugged in at the time of the survey, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that yet. The last time I took part in the survey, it still counted my CV1. 
    i7 5820K @ 4.25GHz | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | Gigabyte GA-X99-UD4 | Corsair DDR4 3000 32GB | Corsair HX 750W
    SSDs: Intel 660p M.2 2TB, Samsung 860 Evo 1TB, 850 Evo 1TB, 840 Evo 1TB | Startech 4 controller PCIe USB 3.0
    edited January 5
    nalex66 said:
    Like Zenbane, I’ve been mostly playing stand-alone Quest tiles, and MOH (Oculus version). I haven’t plugged into SteamVR much in the past few months.

I haven’t used my CV1 since the 90Hz Link update, but I don’t think my Quest has ever been counted in the Steam survey—probably because it doesn’t stay plugged into my PC like the CV1 does. I thought Steam was going to come up with a way to assess Quest use without it needing to be plugged in at the time of the survey, but I haven’t seen any evidence of that yet. The last time I took part in the survey, it still counted my CV1. 

Of course - that explains it all, also goes for me, we've all been playing the Oculus version of Medal of Honor in December!  B) My Index literally has been collecting dust since MoH arrived. 

Ok, might not be the entire explanation  :D   

RuneSR2 said:
    nalex66 said:

Of course - that explains it all, also goes for me, we've all been playing the Oculus version of Medal of Honor in December!  B) My Index literally has been collecting dust since MoH arrived. 

Not all.
     ;) 
    Don

edited January 5
    dburne said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    nalex66 said:

Not all.
     ;) 

Unfortunately G2 owners may be a much smaller minority than I was hoping for. The HP Reverb Reddit forum also has few members if that counts for anything. 

Maybe the WMR G2 boost isn't registered before January 2021, but I guess we should have seen some G2-facilitated WMR boost in the Steam Hardware Survey in December 2020... 

According to Steam Spy, between 20k and 50k users own Medal of Honor VR - and only 200 ratings in the Oculus Store indicate low sales.

Jokes aside, I don't think Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond has had any significant impact on VR adoption or common usage, unfortunately - at least not yet. 

edited January 5
    RuneSR2 said:
    dburne said:
    RuneSR2 said:
    nalex66 said:

Not all.
     ;) 

Unfortunately G2 owners may be a much smaller minority than I was hoping for. The HP Reverb Reddit forum also has few members if that counts for anything. 

Maybe the WMR G2 boost isn't registered before January 2021, but I guess we should have seen some G2-facilitated WMR boost in the Steam Hardware Survey in December 2020... 

According to Steam Spy, between 20k and 50k users own Medal of Honor VR - and only 200 ratings in the Oculus Store indicate low sales.

Jokes aside, I don't think Medal of Honor: Above and Beyond has had any significant impact on VR adoption or common usage, unfortunately - at least not yet. 

Yeah probably not as there are many purchasers of Reverb G2 still waiting on their headset I think.
    Flight sim forums are seeing more and more every day, likewise though with Quest 2 via Link or wireless. There are several Quest 2 users though that are moving up to Reverb G2 as those headsets become available.
    Probably be a couple more months before the numbers start to reflect.

edit: I also believe the release of VR for MSFS 2020 will provide an influx of Reverb G2 and Quest 2 owners over the coming weeks.
    Don

edited January 5
    RuneSR2 said:

I haven't heard much good about MoH, which is a bit of a disappointment. I won't be getting it any time soon, if ever. For the same reasons I never purchased Onward nor Pavlov. I'm not too interested in Shooters anymore. I spent so many years with them (e.g. the early BattleField era), and had a ton of fun with Dead & Buried. But I prefer a full rich story and experience as opposed to running around maps trying to headshot people.

I still enjoy games like Doom for the single-player experience, and I'll probably enjoy Alyx for the same reason. But when it comes to VR, I am leaning more towards social experiences; and of course, puzzle/adventure games.

Unfortunately, going in to 2021, using Steam stats or even this forum to see an indication of how well Oculus is doing for VR is going to result in an accurate indication of what's really going on.

The Oculus Quest library is growing weekly, and we can check the number of users rating all the apps to get an indication of what that userbase looks like. I've lost count of how many Quest and OculusVR Groups I'm in now across Facebook. Thousands upon thousands of users all enjoying the native Quest ecosystem.

PCVR is still a discussion in those groups, but it is in the extreme minority.

I still use my Steam library very heavily, but for pancake games; not VR. Other than Alyx, there isn't much with PCVR that is very enticing anymore. And I see nothing new being announced that captivates me. A couple of "ooh's and aah's" here and then, but they are in the extreme minority and not really worth a second glance for me. I  mean... if any upcoming VR titles are truly worth their weight in Gold, then they should develop a Quest-compatible version. Especially if the dev studio wants to make any sort of profit.

I suspect we'll continue to see a slow, but steady decline of Oculus usage on Steam. But as long as people use only Steam, reddit, and this forum as their analytical data, then a lot of inaccuracies will be depicted. Because none of those 3 mediums adequately represent the Oculus community anymore. We really need to be on Facebook to see what's truly going on.
  • saami81saami81 Posts: 367
    Trinity
    According to https://www.vrlfg.net/Charts There have been some increase. There were posts in Reddit were people claimed that their headsets were not showing even when connected. Not sure, if that is bigger issue or just very small minority.