New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

Sir David Attenborough's "Hold The World" now exclusive for the Rift in Oculus Store!

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 781
3Jane
edited November 3 in Games and Apps

The app can be found here - nearly for free ($4):

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/2331434793563555/

And some info:

http://www.nhm.ac.uk/discover/news/2018/march/explore-the-museum-with-sir-david-attenborough.html

https://mashable.com/2018/05/24/david-attenborough-hold-the-world-vr/?europe=true#dI6ujLceZiqT

I'm not sure it's an Oculus exclusive, but I couldn't find the app on Steam or Viveport B) I haven't tried the app yet, downloading now - it's 4GB  o:)
Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)

Comments

• lensmandavelensmandave Posts: 113
    Art3mis
    Yeah...nice find, thank for the heads up :) Just downloaded and had a quick look. It's beautifully crafted. To sit across the desk to Sir David is mesmerising.
    Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz. Asus-Z170-PRO MB
    CORSAIR H105 HYDRO CPU COOLER.
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX1080ti. 16GB DDR4 2666MHZ HYPERX SAVAGE.
    SAMSUNG M.2 SSD 128GB SM951 Boot Drive. SAMSUNG SSD 500GB EVO Working Drive.
    Windows 10  64bit Professional
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 781
    3Jane
    Yeah...nice find, thank for the heads up :) Just downloaded and had a quick look. It's beautifully crafted. To sit across the desk to Sir David is mesmerising.

Thanks - I have a lot of Attenborough's documentaries on bluray, like Planet Earth 1-2, Micro Monsters 3D, Galapagos 3D, Kingdom of Plants 3D, Frozen Planet, Flying Monster 3D and more, so I'm greatly looking forward to this app. Well, I've finished downloading, just have to wait for the kids to sleep, sigh  ;)
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 4,913 Valuable Player
    How does £3.99 equate to nearly free ;)
    3Jane
    edited November 3
    RedRizla said:
    How does £3.99 equate to nearly free ;)

The price could easily have been $15 or $20  ;)  But yes, maybe I should have written that the app costs about the same as a beer in a UK pub  :D Ok, maybe a beer in a pub in London downtown :blush:

I just tried the app - it was amazing - maybe I should just copy some reviews here - all rated the app 5 stars:

Stunning quality, worth every penny (by Itschriscollins)
    This is by no means a particularly long experience, nor is it likely to have you coming back every day or even every month. But it's of an incredible level of detail and quality, and features the standard charm of David Attenborough that no one can resist. You get to sit in three rooms in the Natural History Museum, normally never seen by the general public, recrated from scans taken in those rooms, and the quality here is pretty good to start with. In each room you will be able to look at two items, perhaps a fossil or insect, and Attenborough will talk you through them - and here's where it gets really good: David Attenborough was recorded in 360 degrees with 160 cameras to place his recording inside virtual reality and it is uncanny. You really feel like you are sat opposite this incredible man. Now, a day later, I still feel like I've actually met the man and spoken fact to face. While he's talking you through these items you are able to pick them up, resize them, and look at them in incredible detail, as Attenborough highlights small marks on the bone or writing left by the original finder. Then these items will come to life - a stegosaurus will run alongside you, a trilobite will crawl around the desk, a lifesize blue whale will swim around you. It's incredibly impressive, and absolutely fascinating.

Properly designed VR app (by Plurr)
    Essentially photorealistic, with an actual person acting as your guide through the content. This is a bit of a milestone for educational VR. This is how it's done.

VR education as good as it gets. (by Nrosko)
    If you have the slightest interest natural history or have enjoyed sir David Attenborough previous work this is essential viewing. For the price of a pint its well worth the money. Technically this really shows what is possible with photogrametry & hi res scanning in VR. The is truly a well crafted peice of VR entertainment & the team behind this clearly have high standards. I'm watchng with 1.6 pixel density & everything is so sharp & real looking. The audio & the animations are also done with a great deal of care & talent. I found the subject matter really interesting & enhanced by virtual realities unique ability to interact with objects & enhance their size. We have Sir Attenborough sitting oposite spreading his wisdom & knowledge, this is truly a unique experience.

Makes you believe in (educational) VR (by me)
    This is a masterpiece of (educational) VR. I won't go into detail about the content as this is described perfectly in other reviews (see Itschriscollins review). To experience the amazing beauty of the specimens to the fullest, you need to activate high levels of super sampling. Using a heavily oc'ed GTX 1080, i7 7700K and 16GB 3200 MHz I had no trouble using super sampling 2.0 by using the Oculus Tray Tool. There are no video settings in this app, but this way you'll get incredibly detailed textures and antialiasing. Only in presence of Attenborough I did notice 45 fps ASW, but it was no problem - and Attenborough isn't animated in 90 fps, probably more like 24-30 fps, still it works flawlessly. Animations on the specimens when swimming or walking are extraordinarily wellmade, they look real. And high-res textures look real. I only wish that I could have rotated the specimens using for example the left thumb stick on the Touch controller - and maybe to resize using the right thumb stick. Could also be nice with full locomotion to walk around in the museum, but yes - that's a dream for future versions or other similar projects. Congrats to the developers and especially Sir David Attenborough for this exceptional and fantastic achievement.

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,320
    Project 2501
    $7.00CDN.

Not sure if it's worth it or not.
    3Jane
    edited November 3
    Digikid1 said:
    $7.00CDN.

Not sure if it's worth it or not.

It is - or get a refund ;) Think of it more like a presentation by Attenborough, where you get stories about special animals and get to experience them in VR in great quality - and you get to hold the specimens using Touch (explaining the title "Hold the world"). I think it takes about an hour to watch all 12 specimens - and maybe the app will be updated with more specimens later. It doesn't feel like version 0.1 though - more like 1.0. More info here:

https://www.skygroup.sky/corporate/media-centre/articles/en-us/sky-to-transform-sir-david-attenborough-into-a-virtual-reality-hologram

This app did reconfirm my joy for the Rift. After all these discussions about the Odyssey+ and SDE, it was a joy to experience "Hold the world" in mostly 90 fps even forcing super sampling 2.0 - and the devs cleverly avoided using true black for background, so you won't notice the SPUD effect. Users having a 1080 Ti or RTX should have no trouble getting 90 fps constantly using very high levels of super sampling - and then the image quality was so awesome that I did think several times: I really don't need anything but the Rift. 

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,968 Valuable Player
    I'll be giving this a try when I get home. I've enjoyed a few free apps lately that I'd have been happy paying 3 or 4 quid for... the Lancaster bomber experience comes to mind, the Anne Frank app was another good one.
    So I'd say a few pounds for VR David Attenborough still has me in credit where value is concerned.
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
    @DaftnDirect - The Lancaster experience is that the one where it's over over Berlin and I couldn't load it?
    Yep that's it, did you get that sorted in the end @RedRizla ?  I ran out of ideas what your problem could be!
    Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
    No, I never did get it sorted and really wanted to see it as I like stuff like that.. 
  • TadinTadin Posts: 270
    Nexus 6
    The Lancaster one is on Steam too, you tried it in both places ?
    @Tadin - Yes and it still wouldn't load for me. I've never had a problem with any other game/app/experience..

Ok @RedRizla I just tried 1943 Berlin Blitz again and it's still launching fine for me. If it helps, this was my sequence for the Steam version install and below are the files and folders that were created:

Installed via Steam, ran the game first time from my Steam library and 3 Options appear....

'Play 1943 Berlin Blitz', 'Launch with Steam VR in Steam VR mode' and 'Launch with Oculus in Oculus VR mode'. I chose the Oculus one.

The game ran and an icon then gets added in my Oculus library and I can then run it straight from there without any options appearing.

The following two .json files now appear in my Oculus/CoreData/Manifests folder (x is the drive that I have this Steam game installed on which is d in my case):

x_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_1943-berlin-blitz_build_BerlinBlitz_0.07g_Steam_BerlinBlitz.json

which contains the following text:

{"canonicalName":"x_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_1943-berlin-blitz_build_BerlinBlitz_0.07g_Steam_BerlinBlitz","displayName":"1943 Berlin Blitz","files":{"x:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/1943-berlin-blitz_build//BerlinBlitz_0.07g_Steam/BerlinBlitz.exe":""},"firewallExceptionsRequired":false,"isCore":false,"launchFile":"d:/program files (x86)/steam/steamapps/common/1943-berlin-blitz_build//BerlinBlitz_0.07g_Steam/BerlinBlitz.exe","launchParameters":"","manifestVersion":0,"packageType":"APP","thirdParty":true,"version":"1","versionCode":1}

and

x_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_1943-berlin-blitz_build_BerlinBlitz_0.07g_Steam_BerlinBlitz_assets.json

which contains the following text:

{
      "dominantColor": "#180505",
      "files": {
        "original.jpg": "33df5be09d64ac903cc01121be3afbf5df68b92c7ab7df508d080d859896b47c",
        "cover_square_image.jpg": "90d851d78bdca9097686c5ab47fda8492ae37f259673f13c3cac4da9b144002b",
        "icon_image.jpg": "2e0860f8b16120443b5e0b7fce7903c4aad821eb0a5f08a776ef2b420df1a34e",
        "cover_landscape_image.jpg": "6a5c30852f6c148055281cb353edf9d35ea54c88e99b03bc645cbe084d9278b8",
        "cover_landscape_image_large.png": "64a4f87b7fe9da661794b16fb8a5583e9162a97cfb9c0aaf1755da774dd96151",
        "small_landscape_image.jpg": "4a9d7a8150838454e82af53d0e814ff56b05641f3c2d37c42c8b5de61fdfc12a",
        "logo_transparent_image.png": "6738af58bb5636cbfb92e3e42d858b174e27831089dcc3f2127634a849e169c1"
      },
      "packageType": "ASSET_BUNDLE",
      "isCore": false,
      "appId": null,
      "canonicalName": "x_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_1943-berlin-blitz_build_BerlinBlitz_0.07g_Steam_BerlinBlitz_assets",
      "launchFile": null,
      "launchParameters": null,
      "launchFile2D": null,
      "launchParameters2D": null,
      "version": "1541631985",
      "versionCode": 1541631985,
      "redistributables": null,
      "firewallExceptionsRequired": false,
      "thirdParty": true,
      "manifestVersion": 0
    }

In my Oculus/CoreData/Software/StoreAssets folder the following sub folder has been created :

x_ProgramFiles(x86)_Steam_steamapps_common_1943-berlin-blitz_build_BerlinBlitz_0.07g_Steam_BerlinBlitz_assets

which contains the icons necessary for the Oculus library (again x is the drive that this Steam app is on).

It may be possible to get the app running just by creating the Oculus files and folders listed above and copy/paste the above text into the json files you create (via notepad). That's worked for me with other apps in the past.

If you don't have the icons in the StoreAssets folder, I can post them too.

Worth a try.

edited November 7

By the way, back on topic... Hold the World is a pretty decent app. Just had a look at 2 of the 3 rooms and only properly examined the 2 objects in the first room, each object has a pretty detailed little sequence of information and is brought to life in VR!

Yep it could probably be described as a taster of what a natural history app could be... ideally I'd like to have maybe 20 or 30 objects from the Natural History Museum to learn about, but still, I'm happy with this.

It's a SkyVR app rather than a BBC one which may explain it not being free. I like it though. 

@DaftnDirect ; - I will give it another go. I really appreciate you posting all that and I hope it works. I'll let you know either way.. cheers!
    3Jane
    Road To VR has published a small (semi-)review of Hold The World, quote:

"At $4, the experience is undoubtedly one the best price to value ratios out there; everything is lovingly reconstructed to maximize for realism, truly making you feel like you’re sitting across the table with the affable and always knowledgeable Sir David Attenborough. "

More here: https://www.roadtovr.com/david-attenboroughs-vr-experience-hold-world-lands-rift/

And there's something about a proper VR David Attenborough that's appealing.

It's quite clever cos he's not just a flat video in a 3D environment, as we've seen in some apps... he seems to be a pucker full 3D animated person. As you say @RuneSR2, he looks like maybe a 24 fps animation or perhaps 25 given our UK PAL origins but nicely done.

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,199 Power Poster
    I've just given the first two rooms a go but had to stop because my leg started to get a bit stiff standing in one place. Absolutely amazing. Worth. Every. Penny.

It won't be long before all museums and big art galleries have VR experiences imo, I reckon in as little as 10-20 years we'll see all the big ones having them. I can't wait!!!!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever