New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

No Limits 2 roller coaster sim.

ohgrantohgrant Posts: 41
Brain Burst
 One area I find that could really use improvement is the current crop of roller coaster sims. Some of them have some interesting landscape visuals but fail to make me think I'm on a real roller coaster. 
 Maybe my expectations are too high because of the high quality I have become accustomed to from a software that has been around since the Win 98 days. No Limits.
It's an authoring or experiencing program. There are quite a few coasters to ride and a multitude of shared coasters that others have authored including real-world emulations.
 No-Limits 2 has been fully VR compatible for a while now and is better than ever with Oculus  http://www.nolimitscoaster.com/

Possibly not for the folks that would miss the Disney/Universal park landscapes or fly off the tracks and flying in mid-air to perfectly land and re-rail. No limits 2 is just roller coasters that feel and look like coasters.      

Comments

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 381
    Trinity
    edited November 8
    This is not on the Oculus Store, at least I cannot find it.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 265
    Nexus 6
    I've got No-Limits 2, I think I bought it direct from their website. I agree it is great in VR as long as you have the stomach for it. At first it was uncomfortable but I gradually used it more and more until I could withstand extreme VR motion.
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 3,962 Valuable Player
    edited November 10

I've got NL2 also from their website although it's also available on Steam. I haven't tried creating a coaster in it yet but keep meaning to have a go. It has a lot of coasters to choose from though and performs really well in the Rift.

I think it just needs some NPCs to ride with and some more atmospheric sound effects... screaming... maybe music options... to make it a little more entertaining. It's really a construction and simulation tool for designing them. But still probably the best VR coaster experience right now.

Edit: just checked the release notes for the latest update (2.5.7.1) and I happen to notice the previous update (2.5.7.0)added music options for environment and in-car so that's good! although it's up to the coaster designers to add music which probably won't happen for many of the existing coasters.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • RavengerRavenger Posts: 38
    Brain Burst
    NL2 is an amazing coaster sim, but beware, even though I have great VR legs, I still get a little queasy when riding one of its coasters in VR.
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
     Correct not in the store. Once purchased, it will integrate with the Oculus library with one irritation. A desktop pop-up saying VR detected Launch in VR., click OK and you're in. I hope they address that. 
     Yes, probably not for those prone to motion sickness on a real coaster. 
     I agree it would be great if it had folks riding and screaming. As good as NLC 2 is with Oculus. The old RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 is even better as far as depth of 3D and entertainment with the animated extras and screams.  

• edmgedmg Posts: 1,080
    Wintermute
    I had to work my way into it. At first, I could barely do one coaster without feeling queasy, now I can do two or three.

Keep meaning to hook the Butt-Kicker up to it and see what that does.
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 41
    Brain Burst
    Mmmm, motion sickness.  :dizzy:  

For the hell of it, I tried the GOG version of RollerCoaster Tycoon 3 with Rift using Tridef for 3D and Virtual Desktop.  It works but a little low res looking and aspect ratio seems a little weird. Still, great 3D with separation and convergence maxed out. Packed full of good wholesome motion sickness.
     There is another RCT game on Steam, RollerCoaster Tycoon World. I've read pretty bad reviews about the gameplay but has anyone tried the coaster cam in 3D or VR? Worth getting?