New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

PlayStation 4 Pro worth getting for Red Dead Redemption 2?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
I really like the look of Red Dead Redemption 2, so much so that I'm thinking about getting a Playstaion 4 Pro just to play it. Would you say the game is good and is it worth getting a Playstation 4 pro for? I might even get PS-VR when they knock the £100 of it like there going to soon. Also, I've heard good things about the game The Last of Use. What do you reckon are Platstaion 4 Pro's worth getting?

Comments

• Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,385
    Project 2501
    No. The Xbox One X has the best graphics out of all of the systems according to the reviews. 

Its also the only true 4K console so that makes sense really.....and has an ACTUAL 4K drive unlike the PS4 Pro....

I have both systems and the Xbox versions seem better. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    edited November 4
    @Digikid1 - What's the game like is it worth getting a console for or not? I really like Westerns and this game looks really nice. I also always wanted to play "The Last Of Use" but there's no guarantee that these games will ever come to the PC..
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,455 Valuable Player
    edited November 5
    i cant answer the specific question, but as for xbox1x vs ps4pro.. the thing is, if you have a high end pc you have 90% of the xbox 1 "exclusives" already, where as a ps4 pro has an absolute ton of quality exclusives which will likely never come to PC. 
    to anyone who does not have a pc then i agree the xbox1x is an interesting proposition but for us, as a 2nd machine next to our pc, imo the ps4pro would be a no brainer out of the 2 (i am biased however as it is what i did ;) )

personally even tho i have a ps4pro, i am hanging fire, as have not given up on a pc release yet.

The last of us is outstanding btw and looks great with HDR..... the console cant really do 4k that well - as @digikid1 correctly states, however it has a middle ground setting which works well, its around QHD resolution with an "aimed" 60fps which it hits most of the time. this is what i use.  (basically if naughtydog made it, it is worth owning imo, then throw in the shadow of colossus and the last guardian, horizon ZD, hell, i could go on but that is not really for this thread!)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,385
    Project 2501
    Oh I don’t have the game. My friend does though and it looks great on his non hdr tv and Xbox One X. 

Just remember that the ps4 pro can’t really do true 4k...it does do “checkerboard” 4k.  It’s a cheat really.

I only got a PS4 pro for one series of games only....The InFamous series....and of course Knack. All other games I go for The Xbox.  Better graphics and better controller. 

Yes I am a bit of a Xbox fan.  However what I said about the ps4 pro is completely true as well. 
    Digikid1 said:
    Oh I don’t have the game. My friend does though and it looks great on his non hdr tv and Xbox One X. 

Just remember that the ps4 pro can’t really do true 4k...it does do “checkerboard” 4k.  It’s a cheat really.

I only got a PS4 pro for one series of games only....The InFamous series....and of course Knack. All other games I go for The Xbox.  Better graphics and better controller. 

Yes I am a bit of a Xbox fan.  However what I said about the ps4 pro is completely true as well. 
    How many Xbox1 exclusives are there tho, that is the problem imo..  (actually it is not a problem it is a design choice, one i commend MS for).  forgetting old games before xbox became a platform rather than a console i can only think of a small handful, but your forzas and your gears of wars are now on PC and (aside for MS gimping the PC version of GOW4 by not pushing the HDR update onto pc) if you have a pc then it kind of makes the xbox redundant  for those games.

i miss halo tho. i will give you that one ;)

stuff like destiny 2 for instance, ps4pro/xbox1x it doesnt matter only the pc can do 4k / 60fps (good timing perhaps to throw it in is currently free to own on pc for the next few days) AND you dont have to pay online subs :)

the pad tho...... the xbox pad is still my fave traditional pad on the market, although the ps4 pad is the best version of the dual shock they ever made.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    I am going to wait for a PC release, I cannot stand playing 3rd Person/FPS games with the controller. Need mouse and keyboard, plus knowing that I invested in a game I can mod the hell out of at a later stage to give me more for my money :)
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 442
    Trinity
    Yea as stated, Red Dead Redemption 2 looks way better on Xbox one X. The PS4 pro looks pretty bad in a lot of spots but it's probably better to go PS4 pro if you have a PC as stated due to the other games.

I have a PS4 pro and my likely unpopular opinion is, the only exclusives I enjoyed is God of War, Marvel's Spider Man, Bloodborne and Shadow of the Colossus remake. I'm actually not much of a fan of Naughty Dog games other than their abliity to squeeze graphics out of consoles. Their games all have bad/boring gameplay to me that keeps getting rehashed and the stories mostly bore me. But I get why they're popular. 

I too am hoping we get a PC version of Red Dead as I don't really want to pay for the blurry version of PS4 nor do I want to buy an Xbox one X at this point. 
    I've just looked at the price of some of the console games and it's made me think again. I wish I could borrow a Playstation Pro or Xbox just to play through the games I mentioned. We will be waiting a year if RockStar decide to even bring Red dead 2 to PC..
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    I've just looked at the price of some of the console games and it's made me think again. I wish I could borrow a Playstation Pro or Xbox just to play through the games I mentioned. We will be waiting a year if RockStar decide to even bring Red dead 2 to PC..
    Times like this reminds me of my childhood when we had video game rental stores. Could just go down and rent one lol. Probably a way to do it online but too much hassle imo lol.
    pyroth309 said:
    RedRizla said:
    Times like this reminds me of my childhood when we had video game rental stores. Could just go down and rent one lol. Probably a way to do it online but too much hassle imo lol.

I was friends with the lad who became a millionaire when a big company purchased his trading shops for games. He was the one who first started trading games where you would take in your old games and then swap them with other games or pay a bit of money towards a newer game. He then branched out in the early 1990's to other towns and eventually sold it all to a big company making a million pound..
  • LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,511
    Wintermute
    edited November 6
    My son bought it on XBox (with a little help from Dad as I wanted to see it). He said it was the best single player game he has ever played. That is something coming from him as I thought the slower pace and story would put him off after all his Fortnight type games. He really got into the story.

I have played a couple of hours and must admit it is quite special.

I can probably compare it to Witcher 3 in style of game play, story and overall polish. Walking through a western town and strolling into a saloon reminds me of West world. I would struggle to say I have seen a better world implementation.
    Although the dying light cities were amazing and the ability to climb buildings, Oh I would love a proper VR implementation of that that didn't make me puke.

I would still prefer it to be more SKyrim then Witcher though but that's just my personal taste. I like everything in the world to be able to be manipulated. IE You kill someone, you can steal their clothes, hat, guns. Take objects back to adorn your home. If only Bethesda made a Skyrim like west world in VR. Toting six shooters with my touch controllers.

The XBox controller is the real downer, god I hate those things. I think it will be launched eventually for PC. I doubt it will ever be VR compatible as it takes control of scenes way to much. It is pretty smoothly done, in fact the best I have ever seen but still would be a bit jarring for VR users and probably a presence killer.

So tough call about buying it now. It really is great but the controller may make it bitter sweet. Can you buy a mouse for the PS4? :)

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    My son bought it on XBox (with a little help from Dad as I wanted to see it). He said it was the best single player game he has ever played. That is something coming from him as I thought the slower pace and story would put him off after all his Fortnight type games. He really got into the story.

I have played a couple of hours and must admit it is quite special.

I can probably compare it to Witcher 3 in style of game play, story and overall polish. Walking through a western town and strolling into a saloon reminds me of West world. I would struggle to say I have seen a better world implementation.
    Although the dying light cities were amazing and the ability to climb buildings, Oh I would love a proper VR implementation of that that didn't make me puke.

I would still prefer it to be more SKyrim then Witcher though but that's just my personal taste. I like everything in the world to be able to be manipulated. IE You kill someone, you can steal their clothes, hat, guns. Take objects back to adorn your home. If only Bethesda made a Skyrim like west world in VR. Toting six shooters with my touch controllers.

The XBox controller is the real downer, god I hate those things. I think it will be launched eventually for PC. I doubt it will ever be VR compatible as it takes control of scenes way to much. That is pretty smoothly done, in fact the best I have ever seen but still would be a bit jarring for VR users and probably destroying presence.

So tough call about buying it now. It really is great but the controller may make it bitter sweet. Can you buy a mouse for the PS4? :)

You can but it is up to the developer to support it, so it's hit and miss.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
    I have to agree the controller is a real put off coming from a mouse & Keyboard and is one of the reasons I haven't purchased a console in the past. just seen this though on the XBox one and I've read they are doing mouse & keyboard support for Xbox consoles now. Will have to do some further digging though to see if it's a Xbox keyboard you have to purchase or if it's just a PC keyboard & Mouse.

Wintermute
    Ill plug one in tonight and see if it works :)

edited November 6
    @Luciferous - For PS4 you need one of these (link below.) Just looking at the Xbox for keyboard & mouse and even though Microsoft say they are supporting a keyboard & Mouse, I can find what you need to make it work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xim-Technologies-432038-XIM-APEX-x/dp/B079SS1CCR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541532830&sr=8-3&keywords=PS4+xim

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xim-Next-gen-supports-PlayStation-gaming-grade/dp/B00MG654FM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1541532830&sr=8-2&keywords=PS4+xim

• JeremyC85JeremyC85 Posts: 143
    Art3mis
    RedRizla said:
    I really like the look of Red Dead Redemption 2, so much so that I'm thinking about getting a Playstaion 4 Pro just to play it. Would you say the game is good and is it worth getting a Playstation 4 pro for? I might even get PS-VR when they knock the £100 of it like there going to soon. Also, I've heard good things about the game The Last of Use. What do you reckon are Platstaion 4 Pro's worth getting?

IMHO The Last of Us is the single best game ever made..
    Wintermute
    edited November 6
    Always fancied that game, not enough to buy a PS4 for though.

i once bought a PC simply to play Ultima 7 The Black Gate and boy that was worth it. Had one ever since.
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    @Luciferous - For PS4 you need one of these (link below.) Just looking at the Xbox for keyboard & mouse and even though Microsoft say they are supporting a keyboard & Mouse, I can find what you need to make it work?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xim-Technologies-432038-XIM-APEX-x/dp/B079SS1CCR/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1541532830&sr=8-3&keywords=PS4+xim

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Xim-Next-gen-supports-PlayStation-gaming-grade/dp/B00MG654FM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1541532830&sr=8-2&keywords=PS4+xim

I have a Xim4 as well and it's pretty amusing playing pvp with it. You can also use it on PC in some games and give yourself  aim assist with a mouse which is pretty fun for the lulz. If you're good with a mouse though you'll be better without aim assist.
     @pyroth309 - What is Xim 4 like on PS4 Pro? Does if feel like you are using Keyboard and Mouse like on a PC?
    Trinity
    edited November 6
    RedRizla said:
     @pyroth309 - What is Xim 4 like on PS4 Pro? Does if feel like you are using Keyboard and Mouse like on a PC?
    It does and doesn't. It's probably somewhere like 80-90% of the precision you can get from a native mouse on PC depending on the game. It also varies between games a bit. I got worse mouse performance in Destiny than normal for example but if you're a lifelong mouse user like me it's still a big improvement over using a crappy controller. I personally normally disable aim assist rather than use it as it can cause you to miss snap shots that I can hit in my sleep on PC. Xim4 also has uses like letting you use an Xbox controller on ps4 and vice versa.

edited November 7
    JeremyC85 said:

IMHO The Last of Us is the single best game ever made..
    i wouldnt go that far myself, but it is certainly a very polished title, decent story (i was actually shocked at the end of the 1st chapter), controls are "ok" but a bit clunky at times.

still TLOU was a large reason why i bought 2 different consoles (PS3 and PS4) so it is certainly up there for me.

PS call me a heathen but if it is not a competitive pvp game (which generally i am not a fan of anyway), i use my xbox pad even in fps games on pc.

am playing dying light at the moment and i use a pad :)
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Dying Light is so good. I just picked it up again, really nails the zombie apocalypse vibe.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    edited November 7
    @pyroth309 - Does using the Xim 4 make games to easy on the PS4 Pro? Using a PlayStation controller has a slower reaction time then when using a keyboard & mouse, so isn't the game difficulty built around using the controller for the PS? I'm just a bit concerned the games might be to easy using keyboard & mouse. What do you reckon?
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,164 Power Poster
    35% game completion for me not sure how many hours but it's a big game (on Xbox One X). Looks great, plays well but is very much a western simulator rather than GTA Wild West. There is rumour a PC version might appear but that could be some time off into 2019.  If you want the best looking version then yeh Xbox One X. However, there are a lack of exclusives for Xbox if you have a competent PC ( a number of games appear on PC as well like Forza Horizon 4). So in this regard I would recommend the PS4 Pro so you get to play some other exclusives.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I've been really happy with the PS4 Pro. While I do mainly game on PC, PS4 Pro has some awesome exclusives and 4K HDR looks pretty nice on a proper TV.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    @pyroth309 - Does using the Xim 4 make games to easy on the PS4 Pro? Using a PlayStation controller has a slower reaction time then when using a keyboard & mouse, so isn't the game difficulty built around using the controller for the PS? I'm just a bit concerned the games might be to easy using keyboard & mouse. What do you reckon?
    Depends on the game but not really. You gotta remember that it's basically just emulating a controller input so you're still held to the same the limitations of a controller sticks range. IE you can only turn the camera as fast as your settings allow a stick on the controller to turn it. If you're really good at controller and prefer it, the difference won't be big. There's some benefits to having more accurate aim in some games sure but with a lot of games having bullet magnetism and aim assist it's not as big of a difference as you might think. Also, having an analog stick for movement in some games can be an advantage as well as you only have 8 directions with WASD. If you're better with a mouse, obviously you're going to do better using a XIM with a mouse than you would with a controller. If you're really good with a controller, you're still competitive with XIM users.

But no, I wouldn't say it makes them too easy, but it does make them more enjoyable for me as I haven't liked any controllers since the old NES/Geneses/SNES/sega saturn Dpad days lol. I switched to PC when they all went to analog stick.
    Trinity
    Dying Light is so good. I just picked it up again, really nails the zombie apocalypse vibe.
    Yea Dying Light is pretty awesome, played through it twice on Steam. I hope Dying Light 2 delivers.
    @pyroth309 - The only game I can play with a controller is Fifa with friends. I hate console controllers so I'll be looking to get a Xim 4. Problem is they don't do them anymore it's an updated version that hasn't got as good a review as the Xim 4.
    Wintermute
    So Microsoft launched Mouse and Keyboard support last week. So far only Fortnite and a few other are supporting it. Might hold out playing Red Dead in the hope they do also.