New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

How to fix "Graphic Jitter" ?

DarlOculusDarlOculus Posts: 13
NerveGear
edited November 2018 in Oculus Rift + Touch
I have been having this problem for a few months now. Makes it hard to view anything in VR. Cannot view Home Screen, watch movies, or play games. I have uninstalled multiple times, updated drivers, and checked USB cables. Others have this same issue. They were told it would be fixed with the next update. I am now running OAV 1.32.0.729131, and still am having the same issue. What will totally fix my issue. Keep in mind i am a novice.

Windows 10, 64 bit 
MB: Asus Rog Zenith Extreme
CPU:AMD Ryzen 1900X
Mem:DDR4  49152 MBytes
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070
EKWB water cooled CPU, GPU 

Answers

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,099
    Wintermute
    You specifications seems good, so you should describe more precisely what you call "Graphic Jitter".

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,494
    Project 2501
    edited November 2018
    I agree with YoLolo69.

Does the problem occur if you  launch an app or game directly from the desktop (using you good old 2D monitor) - so you don't put on the HMD until the app has started and you thereby avoid starting Oculus Home? 

If that doesn't help, try Forceware 391.35 (it's an older driver, but it should work perfectly). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • DarlOculusDarlOculus Posts: 13
    NerveGear
    edited November 2018

RuneSR2. Without sounding ungrateful for the assist. By asking (using you good old 2D monitor). Do u think i am referring to using a monitor only and not the Rift ?
    If that were the case, I would not be here trying to ask for assistance.

Apologies. First time posting. As soon as i launch Oculus all is okay for the first 2 minutes. Then everything starts to jitter when and if I move my head.  By jitter, I mean everything has a ghosted effect as if out of sink, or the movie effect of tripping on shrooms. Only when using the Rift (using you good old 2D monitor) . The effect is in home, apps,  viewing movies in VR, using VR desktop, even in games.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,494
    Project 2501
    edited November 2018

RuneSR2. Without sounding ungrateful for the assist. By asking (using you good old 2D monitor). Do u think i am referring to using a monitor only and not the Rift ?

No, I think you refer to using the Rift. And I think I know exactly what the "jitter is" - I might have tried it too, but it happens extremely rarely on my rig. 

My suggestions are:

1. Power up you PC.
    2. Start the Oculus App on your PC (using the desktop in Windows 10). 
    3. Start the app or game you want to try. 
    4. After the game/app has started, now you put on the Rift HMD - and the Touch controllers.
    5. Does it remove or reduce the jitter?

I have a theory that sometimes Home 2.0 is taking too long to close and release its resources which may or may not interfere with some games or apps. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 26
    Brain Burst

As soon as i launch Oculus all is okay for the first 2 minutes. Then everything starts to jitter when and if I move my head.  By jitter, I mean everything has a ghosted effect as if out of sink, or the movie effect of tripping on shrooms. Only when using the Rift (using you good old 2D monitor) . The effect is in home, apps,  viewing movies in VR, using VR desktop, even in games.
    At first when you mentioned 'jitter' when moving your head, it sounds like tracking. But by 'ghosted effect' like 'tripping on shrooms', that sounds like things warping as you move your head side to side. I get that in the Home screen, where the edges of the wall/planter/pillar/picture on wall seem to bend if I don't have the headset positioned correctly. The screen with the cross usually clears that up.
    Wintermute
    When something like this happen after a short while, like your 2 minutes, it's usually :
    1 - A virus/Malware doing something as it think you do nothing as you don't use your mouse or keyboard for a while. Check your Task Manager sorted by processor time without touching anything and see what happen after the around 2 minutes. A know malware is called mint.exe and mine bitcoins during spare times, but it could be another thing, another virus/malware, or even an anti-virus/anti-malware program doing is usual job.
    2- An overheating issue, like your CPU or GPU heating for reason X (like problem with fan, dust, etc.) and "throttling", meaning it went on safe mode and reduce consumption to save your hardware.
    3 - A memory leak from one of your running process/program eating memory of your PC or hard disk time. Again, check your task manager sorted by memory use or disk use.
    4- I'm out of idea right now, probably other cases exist.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

NerveGear
    1. Had Malware. You were correct. Fixed that issue. Still have problem.
    2. No overheating. EKWB liquid cooled.
    3.No leaks.
    Have read that other Rift users have and still are having this problem, with no real true cure in sight. Thinking i should have gone with the HTC Vive instead maybe. Price be damned. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 276
    Nexus 6
    edited November 2018
    You may have installed some of the Asus software that came with your motherboard such as AI Suite III that has caused problems for many people. Try uninstalling any Asus software that you don't need.

MSI Afterburner used to cause jitter problems for me that were all solved by uninstalling it.

Also make sure your USB power management settings are set correctly. Go to Device manager and expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right click each item, click Properties, and if there is a Power Management tab click on it and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not selected (you want the power to stay on always).
    Also in device manager, expand Oculus VR Devices and do the same thing for each of your Oculus sensors.
    Wintermute
    3.No leaks.
    Have read that other Rift users have and still are having this problem, with no real true cure in sight. Thinking i should have gone with the HTC Vive instead maybe. Price be damned. Thanks for the suggestions.
    The malware explain the 2 minutes gap before all turn bad. So do you still have the exact same symptom after 2 minutes like exactly before, or stutter happen now immediatly?. Oh by the way, saying you're going to Vive is not helpful unless you want to continue and end your thread talking only to yourself ;)

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 696
    Neo
    YoLolo69 said:
    3.No leaks.
    The malware explain the 2 minutes gap before all turn bad. So do you still have the exact same symptom after 2 minutes like exactly before, or stutter happen now immediatly?. Oh by the way, saying you're going to Vive is not helpful unless you want to continue and end your thread talking only to yourself ;)

I think DarlOculus should def go for a Vive or better yet, an Odyssey+ with Windows Mixed Reality.  Just kidding, lol!  I hope he manages to sort this out.  Hopefully he can get a bit more help from Oculus Support.  Could be a hardware issue, who knows?
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    NerveGear
    Yes I am still having the same issue. When i launch Oculus all is fine, as i see the spinning wheel. Then as the wheel is gone everything starts to stutter (jitter) again. Oculuc was working when first I got it. Just in the past 2.5 months i have been having this issue. No new hardware, or major changes. I built this PC just for VR.
      I was frustrated and angry at having this problem for the past few months is all. No, I am not going to Vive. What i meant at the time was probably that I should have bought the Vive, and had no issues. However new tech has its share of gremlins as we all know, but at times of frustration we forget this fact and just speak out of our ass with out thinking first. No all Rift owners are not having the same problem, just the ones I have read.  :( 
    Neo
    Ya, when ya got a problem it seems soooo easy to google it and find heaps of fellow sufferers.  The potential problem with this is you can often assume that it is happening to everyone for the same reason(s).  More times than not this is not the case imho.  I think that many of these people actually find it is something silly they missed, then fixed it, then never reported.  I hate to say it, but in some cases it is just trollish behaviour (like I have exactly the same problem and Oculus sucks).

In your case, my guess is that it is either a problem related to drivers, viruses/malware (or maybe the virus/malware software itself), or maybe hardware (hdmi cable, usb ports, gpu. cpu, or the headset itself, for example).  I cannot say, and I doubt anyone can, but it is probably one of these and I have no doubt that it can be fixed.  Like everything, ya gotta be optimistic, lol!

I'm sure you will get this sorted out soon mate.  Cheer up!

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    How many sensors to you have? You'll need at least 2 to use Touch, but if you have more, try unplugging them and see if the judder still happens. If you setup Rift by itself (without Touch) you can try this with 1 sensor. I've heard of a sensor dying and causing tracking problems like this before.

Also, try to disable or remove any unneeded software that is running the the background. That could be an issue as well. I've heard of conflicts with MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, f.lux, M-Audio, VoiceMeeter, TeamViewer and they will need to be disabled. Asus AI Suite and Sonic Suite need to be uninstalled. Also if you have Bullguard anti-virus it needs to be uninstalled. See if that helps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    I have three sensors. I will try just the fronts and see what happens.
    NerveGear
    I just tried it. Still the same. No change.
    Neo
    edited November 2018
    DarlOculus, So, how are you doing with your new Vive, or maybe WMR?  I hope that's all working out well for you since the Oculus VR system and support does not seem to work very well for you.  Works great for me though, lol!

Just kidding!  I hope everything is working well for you now.
    NerveGear
    No its not better. I am waiting to see if the Vive might go down in price for the holidays. 
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 144
    Art3mis
      I think it's a bit mean spirited to make fun of the OP because he's blowing off some steam about his issue. He said he's a novice when it comes to computers. I like how fanboys always want to put the troll label on folks seeking out help in a support forum and only get a few helpful responses followed by those who spend most of their time trolling the forum to assure others that their rigs are running perfectly and it must be user error or their PC. 
     If the members here are stunned by hearing about the stuttering and graphics jitter that others have encountered since the forced Dash 2.0 update, they simply can't be paying attention. I had the problem myself at first and was able to track it down to that Inateck USB card that was recommended by Oculus support. 
     If folks don't think that that the Dash 2 update has and continues to be a problem for many, they should read the threads when it was first forced on the entire user base. If that doesn't convince you perhaps read the feedback section here https://rift.uservoice.com/  If you will note, the majority of requests there that have high voting numbers all relate to undoing the Dash update. Many because of this same issue that everyone has conveniently forgotten about. Others because Oculus has moved even further to a proprietary system. 

Maybe have a bit more empathy for those who are struggling to get back the performance they once had before the Dash update? Maybe don't get offended if someone suggests they should have gone with Vive. I've seen non-biased reviews from longtime Oculus fans that rate Vive's software less problematic. I can understand the average consumer don't want to be told to reinstall windows or their full Oculus package every six months. Probably just expect it to work as advertised. 

Sorry, just an old man's rant

As far as the Darl's issue, I ask, When you are in Dash, and the problem manifests. Pull up your goggles. and take a look at your "device"  category is there a green dot and is it saying "poor tracking quality" intermittently? Or camera's giving any errors. You may not get a warning in devices during gameplay, at least I didn't. Possibly voltage or bandwidth to your USB if that is the case. Try a powered USB3 hub if you can. Also if there are any USB devices you aren't using, unplug them and swap around your USB especially the one to your rift for head tracking. If you can give it it's own channel, great. 
    If that doesn't get it sorted a Vive just may be a better PC solution for you. I just picked a Vive up from ebay, HMD, cables and link box only for $177 USD. I saw the whole bundle on there used for $399 buy it now price. Good luck. May the VR be with you. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,333 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    @ohgrant - Looking back on this thread, all I saw was people who were willing to help the best they could. I think what annoys people is when people try to help in an Oculus forum and then people express their desire to purchase a Vive instead. Usually their problems have nothing to do with Oculus, but eveything to do with their PC and how they keep it clean and maintain it. I've seen countless posts blaming Oculus just because someones PC has started to cause issues.

People don't blame a printer company when their printers malfunction. They usually look to resolve their printer issue in Windows or reinstall the printer software itself, which would determine if there was a bug with the printer software ..
    Art3mis
     Sorry, I don't see it that way, most were trying to get to the bottom but I seen a similar pattern in many threads. Blaming the consumer when actually  It was indeed that Dash update. Then the backup shows up to confirm it has to be the fault of the consumer and certainly never heard of such a thing. Really don't have to look too hard in the threads here to find evidence. I have no idea about the percent of the people affected but I don't think any percent is acceptable. 
     I personally like my new home but I'm sure I will get bored with it like many of the apps that I no longer play regularly. It's certainly not worth it to me to have it if its inclusion means so many others are affected to the point of not being able to use their Rift at all. I think they will eventually get things sorted and most will find joy, in the end, some may give up and switch or get discouraged with VR  Total denial that there is a problem is all I'm seeing now. 

edited November 2018
    @ohgrant - It's usually something on someone's computer that is causing a problem with Oculus Home. Maybe a virus program or some other software. Oculus Home doesn't have a problem right now, if that was the case it wouldn't be working for most people and Oculus would have pulled it by now. The worst case scenario is to reinstall Windows 10 and then most people find it works fine after that. Possibly because it got rid of what was causing the problem on their PC. 

Has the OP tried installing that Graphics driver that RuneSR2 suggested? That would be the first thing I tried, but he doesn't say if he has done this yet?

He then scanned for Malware which is the second thing I would have done. He did find Malware, but he still has the problem.

He mentions he has reinstalled Oculus Home and he still has the same problem. The only thing left to do now is to determine if it's a corrupt windows install or a conflict with another program. For that you might just as well reinstall Windows 10, instead of wasting time trying to find which is causing it. I would fully reinstall Windows 10 and then try Oculus before installing any other software. That would be my next step.
    Art3mis
    No not really, that's just users parroting what they hear from other support tech's when they don't know the answer. reinstalling everything including Windows is giving up trying to isolate the issue and is often a temp fix, once all Windows and game updates are in, so often the problems return. That should be a last resort option in my opinion. There were quite a few helpful responses here but there were a few that were actually making sport of the guy.
     Believe what you want to believe. To me most folks with graphics jitter issues root cause is USB tracking. I'm done discussing this with you.  
    NerveGear
    Ohgrant: There has never been a flashing green dot. I have changed around the usb plugs, and still the same issue. I do think that this happend after the last big update. I have looked at the Ebay Vive option you mentioned. I will be going that route. So I will be selling this thing and pick up a less problematic Vive. I have created about 3 tickets to Oculus about my problem, and have had not one reply or mention. Again thank you all for the help and repeated "support tech's" info.  I cannot deal with this any longer.  Later Rift. Vive here i come. Peace.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    edited November 2018
    I have created about 3 tickets to Oculus about my problem, and have had not one reply or mention. 

I'm not sure that is right. I looked up your account, and I see your most recent ticket started on October 23rd, and there are multiple back and forth replies between you and one of our agents. So it seems clear that we did respond. The last message was from us on October 26th asking for logs and you did not seem to respond. 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    Yes. I asked how to get said logs and didn't get a response. So since i have you. How would i get the logs and send them then ? Maybe this can help someone else in the future.
    Neo
    Yes. I asked how to get said logs and didn't get a response. So since i have you. How would i get the logs and send them then ? Maybe this can help someone else in the future.

One of the top Support threads explains how to do this and it has been referenced many times;

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1

Also, the 1st thread in the Support thread is pretty handy for troubleshooting, and again has been referenced many times;

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/69494/having-oculus-rift-setup-issues-the-ultimate-guide#latest

Of course there is also the troubleshooting guides on the Oculus website as well.  I guess you could not find these?  Too bad, I have found these to be pretty handy.
    edited November 2018
    ohgrant said:
    No not really, that's just users parroting what they hear from other support tech's when they don't know the answer. reinstalling everything including Windows is giving up trying to isolate the issue and is often a temp fix, once all Windows and game updates are in, so often the problems return. That should be a last resort option in my opinion. There were quite a few helpful responses here but there were a few that were actually making sport of the guy.
     Believe what you want to believe. To me most folks with graphics jitter issues root cause is USB tracking. I'm done discussing this with you.  

Parroting what they hear from other support tech's? You mean people who are trained to try and identify problems without a persons computer in front them. Sometimes you have to run through some unnecessary tasks to get to the route of the problem when you don't have the computer itself to look at. Seems they haven't even received logs in this instance, so hopefully the OP can be helped further when these logs are viewed.
    Art3mis
      Many times those unnecessary tasks that a parrot puts a novice through are not really in context with the issues at hand. Never a good idea to come to conclusions like Windows must be corrupt, reinstall Windows. If everything is running perfectly except glitches in Oculus it's a real far stretch to conclude a Windows reinstall is required. If a person is a novice user, he is unlikely to find and get all the motherboard drivers. That's sure a lot of tail chasing. 
     I'm not saying it's a bad thing for community members to try and help those folks having issues. Certain judgment calls are best left to the staff and support that have access to those logs.
     I also have empathy for your frustration and seen those other threads with people just throwing the toys in the pram and switching. Don't let it get to you try to put your self in their shoes.and maybe refrain from having them chase their tails until staff can look into it. No need to return their hostility.
     Things that are not good here are. We seen customers possibly lost. You and I's contribution did nothing but derail here.  Time to find Diamond City or blast some bots...>
    NerveGear
    edited November 2018
    Roger that.
    NerveGear
    Okay i have just uploaded my zip file as i was informed i had not done before.