New To The Forum? Click Here To Read The How To Guide. -- Developers Click Here.

How to fix "Graphic Jitter" ?

DarlOculusDarlOculus Posts: 8
NerveGear
edited November 4 in Oculus Rift + Touch
I have been having this problem for a few months now. Makes it hard to view anything in VR. Cannot view Home Screen, watch movies, or play games. I have uninstalled multiple times, updated drivers, and checked USB cables. Others have this same issue. They were told it would be fixed with the next update. I am now running OAV 1.32.0.729131, and still am having the same issue. What will totally fix my issue. Keep in mind i am a novice.

Windows 10, 64 bit 
MB: Asus Rog Zenith Extreme
CPU:AMD Ryzen 1900X
Mem:DDR4  49152 MBytes
GPU: Geforce GTX 1070
EKWB water cooled CPU, GPU 

Answers

• YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,036
    Wintermute
    You specifications seems good, so you should describe more precisely what you call "Graphic Jitter".

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 774
    3Jane
    edited November 5
    I agree with YoLolo69.

Does the problem occur if you  launch an app or game directly from the desktop (using you good old 2D monitor) - so you don't put on the HMD until the app has started and you thereby avoid starting Oculus Home? 

If that doesn't help, try Forceware 391.35 (it's an older driver, but it should work perfectly). 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • DarlOculusDarlOculus Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited November 5

RuneSR2. Without sounding ungrateful for the assist. By asking (using you good old 2D monitor). Do u think i am referring to using a monitor only and not the Rift ?
    If that were the case, I would not be here trying to ask for assistance.

Apologies. First time posting. As soon as i launch Oculus all is okay for the first 2 minutes. Then everything starts to jitter when and if I move my head.  By jitter, I mean everything has a ghosted effect as if out of sink, or the movie effect of tripping on shrooms. Only when using the Rift (using you good old 2D monitor) . The effect is in home, apps,  viewing movies in VR, using VR desktop, even in games.
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 774
    3Jane
    edited November 6

RuneSR2. Without sounding ungrateful for the assist. By asking (using you good old 2D monitor). Do u think i am referring to using a monitor only and not the Rift ?

No, I think you refer to using the Rift. And I think I know exactly what the "jitter is" - I might have tried it too, but it happens extremely rarely on my rig. 

My suggestions are:

1. Power up you PC.
    2. Start the Oculus App on your PC (using the desktop in Windows 10). 
    3. Start the app or game you want to try. 
    4. After the game/app has started, now you put on the Rift HMD - and the Touch controllers.
    5. Does it remove or reduce the jitter?

I have a theory that sometimes Home 2.0 is taking too long to close and release its resources which may or may not interfere with some games or apps. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.2-4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS (Home/OEM); Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling at 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • SpuzzumSpuzzum Posts: 5
    NerveGear

As soon as i launch Oculus all is okay for the first 2 minutes. Then everything starts to jitter when and if I move my head.  By jitter, I mean everything has a ghosted effect as if out of sink, or the movie effect of tripping on shrooms. Only when using the Rift (using you good old 2D monitor) . The effect is in home, apps,  viewing movies in VR, using VR desktop, even in games.
    At first when you mentioned 'jitter' when moving your head, it sounds like tracking. But by 'ghosted effect' like 'tripping on shrooms', that sounds like things warping as you move your head side to side. I get that in the Home screen, where the edges of the wall/planter/pillar/picture on wall seem to bend if I don't have the headset positioned correctly. The screen with the cross usually clears that up.
    Wintermute
    When something like this happen after a short while, like your 2 minutes, it's usually :
    1 - A virus/Malware doing something as it think you do nothing as you don't use your mouse or keyboard for a while. Check your Task Manager sorted by processor time without touching anything and see what happen after the around 2 minutes. A know malware is called mint.exe and mine bitcoins during spare times, but it could be another thing, another virus/malware, or even an anti-virus/anti-malware program doing is usual job.
    2- An overheating issue, like your CPU or GPU heating for reason X (like problem with fan, dust, etc.) and "throttling", meaning it went on safe mode and reduce consumption to save your hardware.
    3 - A memory leak from one of your running process/program eating memory of your PC or hard disk time. Again, check your task manager sorted by memory use or disk use.
    4- I'm out of idea right now, probably other cases exist.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

NerveGear
    1. Had Malware. You were correct. Fixed that issue. Still have problem.
    2. No overheating. EKWB liquid cooled.
    3.No leaks.
    Have read that other Rift users have and still are having this problem, with no real true cure in sight. Thinking i should have gone with the HTC Vive instead maybe. Price be damned. Thanks for the suggestions.
  • Protocol7Protocol7 Posts: 265
    Nexus 6
    edited November 8
    You may have installed some of the Asus software that came with your motherboard such as AI Suite III that has caused problems for many people. Try uninstalling any Asus software that you don't need.

MSI Afterburner used to cause jitter problems for me that were all solved by uninstalling it.

Also make sure your USB power management settings are set correctly. Go to Device manager and expand Universal Serial Bus Controllers. Right click each item, click Properties, and if there is a Power Management tab click on it and make sure "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" is not selected (you want the power to stay on always).
    Also in device manager, expand Oculus VR Devices and do the same thing for each of your Oculus sensors.
    Wintermute
    3.No leaks.
    Have read that other Rift users have and still are having this problem, with no real true cure in sight. Thinking i should have gone with the HTC Vive instead maybe. Price be damned. Thanks for the suggestions.
    The malware explain the 2 minutes gap before all turn bad. So do you still have the exact same symptom after 2 minutes like exactly before, or stutter happen now immediatly?. Oh by the way, saying you're going to Vive is not helpful unless you want to continue and end your thread talking only to yourself ;)

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 380
    Trinity
    YoLolo69 said:
    3.No leaks.
    The malware explain the 2 minutes gap before all turn bad. So do you still have the exact same symptom after 2 minutes like exactly before, or stutter happen now immediatly?. Oh by the way, saying you're going to Vive is not helpful unless you want to continue and end your thread talking only to yourself ;)

I think DarlOculus should def go for a Vive or better yet, an Odyssey+ with Windows Mixed Reality.  Just kidding, lol!  I hope he manages to sort this out.  Hopefully he can get a bit more help from Oculus Support.  Could be a hardware issue, who knows?
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
    NerveGear
    Yes I am still having the same issue. When i launch Oculus all is fine, as i see the spinning wheel. Then as the wheel is gone everything starts to stutter (jitter) again. Oculuc was working when first I got it. Just in the past 2.5 months i have been having this issue. No new hardware, or major changes. I built this PC just for VR.
      I was frustrated and angry at having this problem for the past few months is all. No, I am not going to Vive. What i meant at the time was probably that I should have bought the Vive, and had no issues. However new tech has its share of gremlins as we all know, but at times of frustration we forget this fact and just speak out of our ass with out thinking first. No all Rift owners are not having the same problem, just the ones I have read.  :( 
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 380
    Trinity
    Ya, when ya got a problem it seems soooo easy to google it and find heaps of fellow sufferers.  The potential problem with this is you can often assume that it is happening to everyone for the same reason(s).  More times than not this is not the case imho.  I think that many of these people actually find it is something silly they missed, then fixed it, then never reported.  I hate to say it, but in some cases it is just trollish behaviour (like I have exactly the same problem and Oculus sucks).

In your case, my guess is that it is either a problem related to drivers, viruses/malware (or maybe the virus/malware software itself), or maybe hardware (hdmi cable, usb ports, gpu. cpu, or the headset itself, for example).  I cannot say, and I doubt anyone can, but it is probably one of these and I have no doubt that it can be fixed.  Like everything, ya gotta be optimistic, lol!

I'm sure you will get this sorted out soon mate.  Cheer up!

Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,055 Oculus Staff
    How many sensors to you have? You'll need at least 2 to use Touch, but if you have more, try unplugging them and see if the judder still happens. If you setup Rift by itself (without Touch) you can try this with 1 sensor. I've heard of a sensor dying and causing tracking problems like this before.

Also, try to disable or remove any unneeded software that is running the the background. That could be an issue as well. I've heard of conflicts with MSI Afterburner, RivaTuner, f.lux, M-Audio, VoiceMeeter, TeamViewer and they will need to be disabled. Asus AI Suite and Sonic Suite need to be uninstalled. Also if you have Bullguard anti-virus it needs to be uninstalled. See if that helps.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    NerveGear
    I have three sensors. I will try just the fronts and see what happens.
    NerveGear
    I just tried it. Still the same. No change.