New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Valve HMD leaked images surface [Rumour]

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,206 Power Poster

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• nroskonrosko Posts: 901
    Neo
    oooh looks legit to me. 
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,482
    Project 2501
    Hope that’s a prototype. It’s hideous. 

Valve is a good company but their hardware designs have always been hideous. I still want to puke every time I see that awful “nipple” controller of theirs they released a few years ago. 
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,102 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018

I'm not too bothered about the looks tbh... I'm excited about having proper consumer competition for Oculus and this looks like it could be that. VR really needs something like this to keep technology marching on at a reasonable pace.

Vive Pro, because of it's price and Pimax because of it's drivability and performance (not to mention deliverable) question marks are niche products to say the least and do little to contribute to the market imho. I'm not even sure they qualify as enterprise devices without being more capable than they appear to be.

A consumer focused, improved HMD is what we need so hoping to hear more about this.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
    Neo
    To me it looks like it could be portable as well? If so that could be bad news for quest. 
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,661 Valuable Player

I'm not too bothered about the looks tbh... I'm excited about having proper consumer competition for Oculus and this looks like it could be that. VR really needs something like this to keep technology marching on at a reasonable pace.

Vive Pro, because of it's price and Pimax because of it's drivability and performance (not to mention deliverable) question marks are niche products to say the least and do little to contribute to the market imho. I'm not even sure they qualify as enterprise devices without being more capable than they appear to be.

A consumer focused, improved HMD is what we need so hoping to hear more about this.

Agree fully on this!

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
  • kevinw729kevinw729 Posts: 4,059 Valuable Player
    I think its important that the VR community needs to place these dated images into context. Valve has a number of pet projects that sometimes are never meant to see the light of day - with their vast resources the executive team are able to experiment on interesting areas of investigation without really intending to build a business model round them. A case in point is the story behind the CastAR prototypes or the VR Room.

The leaking of these five-month-old images illustrates just one part of a greater investment by Valve on a possible future beyond the bottleneck in development of VR HMD's seen from the leading contenders - and much of this follows on from the feedback that was generated with the LG prototype headset design that is currently part of a process of iteration, supported by the new investment from Valve.

I think many of the posters here will be surprised at what a kind of VR/AR hybrid will appear from these developments, and understand why some of us look more to moving the hardware innovation forward, rather than regressing performance towards a perceived "low-cost" mobile solution. 
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,768 Volunteer Moderator
    kojack said:

- I can't read the code on the big malaysia chip (top left) and the biggest chip is behind the wires
    I believe it's a Lattice iCE 40 FPGA (not sure of exact model).
    Apparently the iCE40 is cool because it has cheap dev boards and an open source toolchain. I might buy one, I can get a dev board for $37au from Digikey.

Neo
    What is the space at the front? I thought maybe battery but could you clip a phone into it?  
    nrosko said:
    What is the space at the front? I thought maybe battery but could you clip a phone into it?  
    Some have suggested something like a leap motion addon.

It might be a general experimenter port like the little covered up usb port on the DK2, so they can try plugging in different pass through cameras or other stuff.
    Neo
    That would make sense. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,497 Power Poster
    Knowing Valve they'll release this some time during 2037 thanks to Valve Time lol
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    snowdog said:
    Knowing Valve they'll release this some time during 2037 thanks to Valve Time lol

There you go again with your optimistic speculation!  B)

Seriously, I do not think Valve will release this, the HMD2 seems more a peace offering too LG along with the new controllers.
    P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **
    "The Out-of-Home Immersive Entertainment Frontier: Expanding Interactive Boundaries in Leisure Facilities"
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Out-Home-Immersive-Entertainment-Frontier/dp/1472426959
    edited November 2018

A lot may be dependent on Valve's relationship with HTC, they may have agreements in place not to compete on the hardware front.

It's possible that Valve want to cover their bases and have a headset more-or-less ready to go, in the event that HTC depart from the sector. If that's the case, Valve will want to have an HMD that is competitive and technologically advanced enough to compete with whatever Oculus have to offer at the time.

I don't think Valve are a company that want to risk ceding the VR marketplace completely to another company.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.

A lot may be dependent on Valve's relationship with HTC, they may have agreements in place not to compete on the hardware front.

From the conversations with current and previous execs at Valve and HTC regarding the VR partnership, it was a pure licensing and shared resource agreement with no limitations on Valve regarding who they could work with - this explains the LG announcement last year, and also the continuing rumors of Samsung's involvement on a future Valve supported VR/AR system - there is only one company excluded from this.... for obvious reasons.

P6ftmuw.jpg
    ** New Book **

OK but by relationship, I don't just mean legal agreements... they may have wanted HTC to take the lead (or should that be the risk) of fronting the hardware provision for their platform until such a time that they've exhausted their ability to do so, or at least until Valve have used HTC's experience of the hardware sector to enable Valve to have learned enough to take over.

Just speculation, but the way I see it is Valve just need to have one headset competing with Oculus to avoid Oculus getting too big a foothold on the VR marketplace. Having 2 headsets seems to me to be superfluous from what I believe Valve's primary objectives are.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 800
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    And apparently it will come bundled with knuckles and halflife-VR, sources says.
    No, im not even joking ... lol

Be good, die great !
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 445
    Trinity
    edited November 2018
    I saw this last night and was hesitant to believe it was true knowing how Valve is but UploadVR seems pretty adamant that it's definitely an upcoming headset. 

UPDATE: our sources have confirmed to us that this is an upcoming Valve headset – read full details here

So if that's the case, that's a great thing imo. As stated, we need real competition. HTC hasn't been in the game since the Rift came down to 400. Their products are simply priced too high. Valve has the ability to recoup costs on their storefront so we may finally see a reasonably priced competitor. This may also explain why the knuckles got delayed so much. Valve probably intends to issue them with their headset.

Now if only AMD could provide some competition to Nvidia...lol

KlodsBrik said:
    And apparently it will come bundled with knuckles and halflife-VR, sources says.
    No, im not even joking ... lol

Good thing you said you weren't joking cos I would have definitely thought you were!
    Well, rumours of a half-life prequel VR games now has me thinking I shouldnt hold my breath lol, but it would be cool, as long as it isn't hardware locked to a Valve headset!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,661 Valuable Player
    This is certainly getting interesting...
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
  • MradrMradr Posts: 2,739 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    https://uploadvr.com/valve-135-vr-headset-half-life/
    We don’t see any indication these headsets could include eye-tracking, so Valve will have to use methods other than foveated rendering [...]

Not true... they could always use FOVR static and offer it up as a performance settings. Same could be said of Oculus right now. This also makes it easier in the future for when we do get ET working and then swap them out. GO already uses it and I'm sure Quest will be as well. Might as well make it a staple settings across all devices.

As for the headsets - they look define more than their older brother now. It looks like they might have cut off about 50% of the weight going to a more simple design of that of the Rift. Can't lie - it looks a lot like the Rift. The AR will be nice and a good middle ground for more VR things to come. Agree it might be for an addon such as the magic leap and a face plate will cover it when not in use? Base off the image as well - looks like the USB might be optional later on and may not be included.

Looks like this board type is also version 5. Looks like V6 will have other goodies on it.

• flexy123flexy123 Posts: 788 Poster of the Week
    edited November 2018
    Digikid1 said:

To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with these. They look solid to me. The only thing which looks ugly to me are the headphones. But I read somewhere these are special headphones with tactile feedback or something.
    If you want a REAL ugly HMD, go look at Pimax.
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 445
    Trinity
    flexy123 said:
    Digikid1 said:

To be honest, I don't see anything wrong with these. They look solid to me. The only thing which looks ugly to me are the headphones. But I read somewhere these are special headphones with tactile feedback or something.
    Yea they look fine to me, very Rift like and look light. It's clearly a prototype and likely will have some decorative piece that goes on the front. 
    flexy123 said:

There's worse.

Neo
    pyroth309 said:
    flexy123 said:
    Digikid1 said:

Yea they look fine to me, very Rift like and look light. It's clearly a prototype and likely will have some decorative piece that goes on the front. 

I Imagine they will look cleaner/simplified & headphones will have foam covers.  
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,500 Volunteer Moderator
    Crystal Cove (CV1 Prototype) was not pretty either.

If Valve can achieve 135 degree FOV, improved resolution, without requiring a supercomputer and bundles fully featured AAA Half-Life VR with full knuckles support at a competitive price point, then Oculus may have a real competitor finally on their hands.  AAA Half Life VR (full story not some 10 minute experience) would be an instant buy for me 

Related image
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Likewise LZ. I wonder if a new Half-Life VR game would have a pancake version a-la Fallout 4. Me thinks there would a be a lot of monitor gamers getting pissed at missing out if there wasn't.

Yes I can hear the shouts of 'then they'd know how we sometimes feel :#'

A pancake version would make a full game more likely though, compared to a cut-down version and Valve could still market a VR advantage of a timed release with VR available first. Well VR has its own advantages built-in so not sure that's even needed!

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,497 Power Poster
    Valve aren't going to release a Half Life VR game, or if they do it'll be a collection of mini-games set in the Half Life universe like The Lab.

If any of you think for a second that Valve are going to release another Half Life game then you're more than a little insane. They're a bunch of see you next Tuesdays. If I had GabeN's address I would have sent him a turd in a box years ago.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,379 Poster of the Week