New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Can't install Software - Exiting with code 18

TaibotTaibot Posts: 33
Brain Burst
Hello,

A few days ago everything worked fine and i was able to play with my Oculus Rift.
But today i had to reinstall the software and now i can't install it anymore.

I already turned of any software like antivir and my firewall and windows defender aswell.
Also i reinstalled my windows.

[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:44] Installing oculus-runtime.
[Error] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Librarian exited code 18
[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Install 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' failed.
[Warning] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Rolling back installation.
[Debug] [11.11.2018 16:41:46] Uninstall 'Dawn.Setup.InstallPackagesStep' succeeded.

I hope this section from the log helps.

Comments

• BlennuBlennu Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    i have exactly the same problem with the same OculusSetup log, it worked for a little over a year without problems. I already tried to format my drives and reinstalled win10 twice, turned off Defender and firewalls, tried different installers, fiddled with permission settings. I just dont know anymore. Does anyone have the same issue or better a solution?

• Iron_MangosIron_Mangos Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Same issue here. Everything was working until the new update, which was, incidentally, FORCED on me.
  • rickysaelrickysael Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    i have exactly the same problem... i haven't solutions...
  • Iron_MangosIron_Mangos Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    Has anyone in this thread opened a support ticket yet?
  • TaibotTaibot Posts: 33
    Brain Burst
    I did today
  • WillKill103WillKill103 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Having the exact same problem and have messaged support but everything theyve sent so far hasnt worked. IE disabling windows defender and restarting in safemode.
    Brain Burst
    I've already tried everything I could find on the internet but none of that seems to work for me... I really have no idea what else to try
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Make sure your game library folder is something like E:/RiftApps and NOT inside C:/Program Files or any other Windows protected folder.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    Nope... installation failed 
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    Brain Burst
    edited November 13
    Installed every single one but this does not seem to fix my problem...
    Brain Burst
    This ist from the OVRLibrarian.txt

[Debug] [13.11.2018 23:28:23] Starting up OVRLibrarian v1.16.0.0.
    [Debug] [13.11.2018 23:28:23] Invoking service 'OVRLibraryService' with arguments [install-package, C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\oculus-runtime.zip, C:\OculusSetup-DownloadCache\oculus-runtime.zip.sig].
    [Debug] [13.11.2018 23:28:24] Service 'OVRLibraryService' exited with code 1066+18.
    [Debug] [13.11.2018 23:28:24] Exiting with code 18.

Maybe you know what this means.
    Can you upload the OculusSetup.log file here? See this thread for how to get the file:
    https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/33792/how-to-get-logs-for-bug-reports-for-consumer-rift-1-3/p1
    Brain Burst
    here we go
  • huukituhuukitu Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    edited November 14
    Same issue here, attaching logs.

Also note: [Debug] [13.11.2018 18.50.19] Service 'OVRLibraryService' exited with code 1066+18.

It seems to be failing when trying to install the runtime service. This is usually a sign that some anti-virus or security software is blocking the install. Can you try disabling Windows Defender temporarily to see if that is the issue?
    NerveGear
    Nope:
    [Debug] [15.11.2018 6.24.24] Anti-virus found: Windows Defender(401664, Disabled, Up-to-date)

and still:
    [Debug] [15.11.2018 6.27.14] Exiting with code 18.

• mazdajedimazdajedi Posts: 11
    NerveGear
    Didnt the first post defining the issue say
    "Hello,A few days ago everything worked fine and i was able to play with my Oculus Rift.
    I already turned of any software like antivir and my firewall and windows defender aswell.

...and then 3 days later, support staff say "Can you try disabling Windows Defender temporarily to see if that is the issue?" 

.... nice to see quality software backed up with quality support !

NerveGear
    mazdajedi said:
    Didnt the first post defining the issue say
    "Hello,A few days ago everything worked fine and i was able to play with my Oculus Rift.

...and then 3 days later, support staff say "Can you try disabling Windows Defender temporarily to see if that is the issue?" 

.... nice to see quality software backed up with quality support !

Actually, this is my case also although I assumed OP's post would make it clear. What's interesting is that I have a feeling that this may be something that updated with the latest Windows 10 Update.
    Brain Burst
    I tried to install it on Windows 8.1 aswell and got the same error message

So i don't think it is because of Windows 10
    NerveGear
    Don't know if this will help, but heres a process monitor dump of the library service.
  • bloo007bloo007 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    Happening to me as well. Already opened a support ticket so hopefully they'll figure it out.
  • mazdajedimazdajedi Posts: 11
    NerveGear
     :/ 8 days and still no progress?
    why dont they open source this software so that we can solve and fix things like this ourselves? 
    Since support is ranging between diabolical to non-existent, they should definitely open source it !
    Secondly instead of all the fancy teaser graphics, why isnt there a verbose mode in which all the steps it is going through are listed, and any errors are listed clearly with the option to continue, rollback to last version etc.
    The software also needs to be clearly broken up into modules so when they do updates you can select which module have updates, and allow you to selectively update or rollback to whatever version works for you.
    Does anyone else think that would be awesome ?

NerveGear
    I have to agree. It's kind of ridiculous that there is no support, even though the error message should make it clear what the issue is. Oh well, I think I'm going to open another support ticket too.
  • Pavel419Pavel419 Posts: 8
    NerveGear
    Same problem.
    November 17, tried to reinstall the software, but began to issue this all here.
    Before this, it was updated windows:
    I found this topic on the forum, but the solutions from it did not help:

Logs attached, I hope for a quick decision.

NerveGear
    There is an opinion that just in the new installer instructions are used processor SSH 4.2
    I have an old AMD Phenom II X4 965, where they are not.
    But before, I installed the patched software and after that the helmet and all the games worked fine.
    Oculus developers - is this true?
    And if this is true, then you are freaks.

other participants of the topic - what are your processors?
    NerveGear
    Yes, Phenom II 955BE. Worked just fine until now.
    That's pretty fucked up if the reason is really that it cannot be used any more. I understand that the hardware is sort of legacy, however the limitation is superficial.
    NerveGear
    Support for SSH 4.2 instructions from them is stated as mandatory.
    And if they do not decide anything - on the one hand, they will be right.
    But, on the other hand, when I used CV1 for a year and now I can't - due to the updates - this is wrong. Where to put it now, on the trash?
    Brain Burst
    So we all have AMD Phenom? Maybe thats the problem

But what do Oculus changed to their software? I was able to play with my old cpu pretty well until now
    NerveGear
    Perhaps you have not yet come to.
    And yet I want to believe that the cause of the problem is not in the processor ...