New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Where do you live?

NapagadyNapagady Posts: 28
Brain Burst
Hello!
I want to ask, where do you live in your country? In a big city or small? Maybe capital?
For example, I live in Lithuania in second biggest city in my country, Kaunas. Wondering what is the different between living in the capital and not? In my country renting a flat in capital is very expensive, but also salaries are higher. And another pluses like night life and so on.. Any opinions to share? :)

Thanks !

Comments

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,327 Power Poster
    Welcome to the forums! :D

I'm living in Tottenham in London, UK. EVERYTHING is expensive here! :open_mouth:
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • NapagadyNapagady Posts: 28
    Brain Burst
    BREXIT is coming. Maybe somebody will change in UK?
  • BrixmisBrixmis Posts: 1,974
    Project 2501
    There are a huge amount of Lithuanians here where I live. Almost as many as Poles.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,455 Valuable Player
    edited November 12
    I live in a small town just outside of Cambridge UK.  Cambridge is caught in a scenario where cost of living prices are up  there with London....... but wages do not reflect this (in London their is a London weighting allowance).
    Where I live is the cheapest housing within 30 miles, but it is still stupidly expensive now.  Luckily i bought in Sept 2000 before the end of the property boom but i real feel for people looking to get on the ladder now!.
    Cant comment on nightlife.  i hated night clubs even as a teenager living in Manchester so as a 42 year old married with a child i cant think of anything worse.  Give me a nice local pub, with a good selection of ales and an open log fire every day of the week!!!.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,385
    Project 2501
    Uranus. 
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    edited November 12
    Digikid1 said:
    Uranus. 

I've heard there's a bad atmosphere there, so I bet the night life's really bad..
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,385
    Project 2501
    It stinks v :D
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. Housing prices are out of control. Recently, a condemned house sold for over a million dollars. Unbelievable. 
    http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-million-dollar-condemned-house-20180418-story.html
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,361 Poster of the Week
    New Orleans. 
    Housing prices arent as bad as San Fran but they are rising steady.
    WAAAGH!
  • Rob_In_PhoenixRob_In_Phoenix Posts: 290
    Nexus 6
    Given my screen name, I'll give you a single guess as to where I live. 
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,636 Volunteer Moderator
    My avatar is a hint.

• KlodsBrikKlodsBrik Posts: 782
    3Jane
    I live in Copenhagen Denmark. Lovely place to be when not in VR.
    Be good, die great !
    Denmark is awesome, great bacon!!!
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 900
    3Jane
    snowdog said:
    Denmark is awesome, great bacon!!!

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    Tuborg lager is also awesome!  :D

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 900
    3Jane
    edited November 13
    snowdog said:
    Tuborg lager is also awesome!  :D

Thanks, I live close to Copenhagen too, thus bacon is important nutrition over here, while Tuborg keeps up the birth rate  ;)

Actually I'm not that fond of Danish beer, I prefer British beer and ale.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,059
    Wintermute
    edited November 13
    Vinaros, small town in Spain, east coast. I used to live in my native country France until last year and decided to bring the whole family here to have a better living. After a year I'm starting to speak Spanish pretty well, but my 2 children's, 8yo and 13yo beat me.

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 366
    Trinity
    Where do I live? Somewhere on the map of Google Earth!

If I were to be more specific... I've been moving out several times in the last two years. I lived in:
    - London (UK),
    - Laval (France), it's a small town but quite high-end: it has the Laval Virtual, a yearly VR showcase (a heaven for VR users!),
    - Paris (France),
    - and now I'm somewhere in the French countryside: very poor network, peasants and cows everywhere, a heaven for some, an absolute hell for me :( .
    At this point I'm pretty much a nomad, lol.

- Capitals are obviously more expensive, although I was surprised by the price of food in UK. I could eat twice more for as much as what I would pay in France. On the other hand, the price of the appartment was... atrocious. In Laval I had 30m2 for myself at 300€, whereas in London, I had a 10 m2 room with shared kitchen that cost me 700€.
    A third of the size, with less privacy, cost me literally more than twice the price...

- That said, I loved the capitals for the public transit. The cities are huge but transport is easy, cheap and practical. In Paris you can get a yearly subscription (you pay a fixed price and you get access to every transport in the capital for the whole year: trains, bus, subways, ...), so the more you use public transit, the more profitable it gets. And there is so much to discover there! I'd lived there for a year, and I spent absolutely every week-end going here and there.
    In London, it wasn't a subscription so I had to pay for every transit, but the Oyster Card makes it so much more practical: you just charge it with money, and you can use it to pay for every transport (instead of buying a ticket every f*cking time).
    In countryside... public transit is rare and unpractical, so living there requires a car. The towns are rare as well and they often are small and empty.

Basically, big cities are more expensive but much more practical, whereas countryside is cheap and quiet but really not practical... and empty.
    The absolute best is living in the city outskirts: they're not as noisy and expensive as the city, but they're much more practical and vivid than countryside.
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
    When I win the Euromillions and buy myself a big posh house there's NO FUCKING WAY I'm buying a place in the countryside. I've been watching Midsomer Murders and there's at least one murder, sometimes three or four, every fucking week.

Fuck that, I'm staying in London cos it's going to be A LOT safer. B)

• Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 484
    Trinity
    Midsomer is well known for being the murder capital if Britain. ...even higher than the knife crime rates in London
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,636 Volunteer Moderator
    Midsomer is well known for being the murder capital if Britain. ...even higher than the knife crime rates in London
    That little town where Father Brown lives has a LOT of murders too.

Brain Burst
    Thank you very much guys ! In my city there is a strange thing. Everybody has a car and just schoolchildren, students and retired people uses public transport. For example in Paris or London I guess it is quite difficult to drive in the city center with car + parking + expensive, so it's not practical at all. So yeah in bigger cities public transport is very practical
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 463
    Trinity
    Given my screen name, I'll give you a single guess as to where I live. 
    Los Angeles?
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,455 Valuable Player
    edited November 15
    it will be safe now....... He got away with it for years but the criminal was John Nettles all along. Just look at the crime on Jersey when he was there....... and then he left and trouble found him all the way to the county of Midsomer

he must be mid 70s now however so i suspect he will be past it ;)
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
    it will be safe now....... He got away with it for years but the criminal was John Nettles all along. Just look at the crime on Jersey when he was there....... and then he left and trouble found him all the way to the county of Midsomer

he must be mid 70s now however so i suspect he will be past it ;)

I always thought the same thing about Poirot too in the 80s and 90s lol. Both of them did these crimes then fitted up other people for them. Then someone nicked our idea for Dexter lol

• Stryker1000Stryker1000 Posts: 484
    Trinity
    don't forget columbo ! look at the amount of innocents he "fitted up" absaloutly bloody criminal !
    Brain Burst
    Are you guys afraid of changing a place of living?
    Napagady said:
    Are you guys afraid of changing a place of living?

I wouldn't say afraid. More wary than anything. I've lived in my flat for 18 years or so and moving to a new place is a) expensive b) difficult due to me having a cat and being on benefits and c) stressful.

My flat is awful, but the rent is reasonable and I've got so used to living here that it would be a bit weird living somewhere else lol

• LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 366
    Trinity
    Well, I'm used to moving out, so no, I'm not afraid (although I definitely was, the first time I left to live on my own xD). Rather I'm apprehensive/excited, whenever I have to leave. I love this sensation, because I know I will discover new ways to live, new places to go, ... It's like going on an adventure!
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
  • KenSniperKenSniper Posts: 160
    Art3mis
    I'm from Malaysia! surprisingly not many ppl know where that even is