New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Looking for software/workaround to utilize Rift as a simple head mounted display - stereo desktop

TheTopMostDogTheTopMostDog Posts: 2
NerveGear
edited November 2018 in Support
I'm after a method of displaying my desktop in binocular stereoscopic for the purposes of using a Oculus Rift CV1 as a static HMD device using windows' extended or cloned display modes.

Ideal solution I imagine would be some kind of software which warps the output image to suit a Rift headset.

As for hackjob requirements,
a) divide a screen down the middle, display the same image on each side (the Rift is detected as a single high resolution display).
b1) set the borders independently for the custom resolution which I will have to create to match my FOV while wearing my Rift with an aftermarket facial interface.
b2) specifically be able to separate the left and right 'images' by a custom amount in order to both align the images with my FOV and to set a comfortable focal distance for extended use.

If anyone has managed to get something like this working, or knows of any workaround which can force windows to treat a display as a HMD and simply apply a stereoscopic mirror to a display, I can probably manage to get what I want from even that.

Disclaimer/rant:

I am not after virtual desktop suggestions. In this scenario, I am unable to use the Rift as a VR headset; NO sensors and NO tracking, hence NO 3D space rendering or triangulation. If you suggest this to me I will likely cuss at you, as I've already read countless threads where the OP is asking for solutions outside of virtual desktops and no suitable suggestion was made - precisely why I am forced to make a thread of my own.

I do not want to know about your feelings of distaste regarding a static image being displayed inside the Rift. If you think a static image in a HMD will certainly/definitely/irrefutably cause motion sickness, then I must assure you that this is incorrect, as HMDs have been around for a very long time with very few complaints of motion sickness. Unfortunately they are still stupidly priced for what they are, considering we now have VR headsets which contain far more technology for less than double the price of some HMDs. Alas, I already have the Rift and could make use of a HMD primary monitor, which is why I'm here. Rest assured, my Rift will still get plenty of use as a VR headset.

I have no concerns regarding the resolution of the device running in an extended or cloned desktop mode. I have already managed to test the image and my desktop is perfectly legible and usable (outside of having to close an eye at a time to correct for the lack of focal point). I've read some really stupid shit about how people "can't have a screen so close to their face" blah blah, well guess what, the screen is that far away regardless of a static image or a VR landscape. I will hopefully be able to tweak my focal point, making the desktop appear a few feet away, just as it would in actual virtual desktop applications.

If you must know, the use case of this set up will be plugging in via intel onboard graphics 630, which for me, when done, does connect the headset in extended desktop mode. I am able to plug into my GPU to use the headset in VR mode, but I do not want that in this case.

Answers

• ohgrantohgrant Posts: 148
    Art3mis
     I guess I can risk being cussed out. To the best of my knowledge, Tridef was the last desktop 3D software vendor that doesn't require a Nvidia card . There are only 2 companies that now do 3D and both are for VR use. VorpX and Trinus VR.
     Trinus VR is really designed to convert to 3D and add the fisheye then send to a mobile device VIA your router. Not exactly what you're looking for, but the side by side fisheyed 3D output is displayed on your desktop. https://www.trinusvirtualreality.com/  
    I'm thinking there may be some misalignment of the left and right, but you might be able to compensate. 
    I don't know if it will work, but have you tried  Oculus SDK .80 to get extended mode?