New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Just got 100 GB for free - by cleaning up my Oculus Staging folders

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,108
Wintermute
edited November 2018 in Support
It's like cleaning and not much fun, and I just forgot to do it for many months :( Most of you old timers probably know this, but maybe it can be of interest to new users who suddenly feel a lot of hard drive space has magically disappeared. Actually I first noticed the problem when trying to patch Marvel Powers United - and got an error that I needed 55 GB free space to do that, quite annoying I still had 40 GB free space on that drive :#

To understand what's happening when patching a game, you just have to look at the Staging folder. When I patch Marvel Power United (55 GB game), then a full copy of the game is made in the staging folder (or similar space =55 GB is reserved), I guess that's what happens when the "optimizing download" is going on. Thus I need 55 GB to patch a 55 GB game :o - not sure I like than approach, but it is what it is...

Now, I had several games I tried to patch, but then I changed my mind. I tried to download Raw Data for the free weekend, but then cancelled it after a few MB - but in my Staging folder 9 GB were already reserved for the game. And I've cancelled a Lone Echo patch - resulting in 17 GB wasted space in my Staging folder - and I had a lot more similar cancelled downloads, all taking up massive amounts of gigabytes.  

So if you haven't looked and need more space, do check if you're wasting a lot of space in your Staging folder(s).

Personally I think it would be great to have cancelled downloads deleted automatically - I bet many users are unaware of just how much space they may be wasting in their Staging folder(s). 2c. 
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)

Comments

• ohgrantohgrant Posts: 91
    Hiro Protagonist
    Thanks, not really an area I ever checked out. I had about 50GB of precious SSD space... 
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,108
    Wintermute
    edited November 2018
    In a brief moment - yesterday - where I lost my appreciation for having to free up 55 GB of space to download a small 1.55GB patch, I just may have contacted Support  :blush: - And Support may just have responded:

"The space that the update needs to go through the update can be larger than the actual update is. This is generally temporarily used to unpack files and other functions of the update.

We also don't update the games ourselves, so I would recommend you send your feedback about the size of the updates to the developers to let them know how you feel about their requirements."

Still, all other games seem to do the same when I download or patch them (= create a new folder reserving same space as the original app/game, a folder that doesn't get deleted if you cancel the download), not sure the game/app devs are to blame for that approach. 

Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,099 Valuable Player

Interesting, something to look out for.

So do these residual files accumulate every time a game update is cancelled? and consistently with all games?

I just checked both of my Staging folders...  C Drive Oculus install location and D drive Oculus games installation location and both empty. Not surprising I suppose as I don't remember cancelling any patches.

Like you say RuneSR4, sounds like a fix is needed to clear this folder on cancellation. I'm thinking really it's probably down to Oculus if it's common for all games/apps.

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Okay, I've confirmed the issue on my machine. Let me speak with the team.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • kojackkojack Posts: 4,768 Volunteer Moderator
    I use WinDirStat (free program) to show all drive usage.