New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Grand Prize Winner "Spheres" Has Arrived (no, I didn't mean "Sphæres" ;-)

RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 902
3Jane
edited November 14 in Games and Apps

Looks awesome, just bought it using the Oculus phone app, and if my VR rig was on I could have remote-installed it on my VR rig, sigh  ;)

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1859625197439973/

Currently rated 96 % based on 10 ratings, we'll see how that continues...

BTW the app is not to be confused with Sphæres released a few days ago  ;) (= https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1885990444813444 )

Trailer 1

Trailer 2

Trailer 3

More info here:

https://www.cnet.com/news/oculus-rift-releases-spheres-peak-outer-space-vr-movie-that-landed-a-seven-figure-deal

Quote: "Spheres, the virtual-reality experience that made waves earlier this year when it landed VR's first seven-figure distribution deal, is breaking out of the film-festival circuit and is now available for public consumption: The three-chapter series debuted for $9.99 on Facebook's Oculus Rift VR headset Tuesday."

- and here:

https://www.vrfocus.com/2018/11/vr-series-spheres-takes-oculus-rift-viewers-on-a-cosmic-journey/

https://lbbonline.com/news/eliza-mcnitts-spheres-collects-grand-prix-at-venice-film-festival/
Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)

Comments

• RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 902
    3Jane
    edited November 14
    I ended up rating the app 4/5 (4.2/5 would have been my choice if possible). It's like a poem about space and it's a nice experience. It didn't move me like Apollo 11 and Discovering Space II, although planet Earth in part 3 is visually impressive and probably never done better in VR (the black hole and Saturn's rings were great too). Even though there are some interactive moments, Spheres feels more like a movie where you experience the universe. VR movies the The Bond impressed me a lot more and such movies/apps do set the bar high - a few months ago I might have rated Spheres 5/5, but not today. Hold the World impressed me more, and it's difficult to see why Spheres should cost twice as much - 10 bucks is a bit high for an app lasting less than an hour that I probably won't see again for a long time. But I do intend to keep it. 

BTW, I got solid 90 fps using super sampling 2.0, so technically this app seems greatly optimized. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 483
    Trinity
    I gotta say that while a few bits were pretty impressive I was not all that overwhelmed, and certainly did not find it 'mind blowing' like some to the Review hype.  Maybe you need to be high on something, lol!  I requested a refund.

The latest freebie, Crow is a much more polished VR production imho.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
    3Jane
    edited November 17
    TomCgcmfc said:
    I gotta say that while a few bits were pretty impressive I was not all that overwhelmed, and certainly did not find it 'mind blowing' like some to the Review hype.  Maybe you need to be high on something, lol!  I requested a refund.

The latest freebie, Crow is a much more polished VR production imho.

It does feel much more like art than science - I really don't understand the "seven-figure distribution deal" - maybe an investor made that move one day he forgot his medication and topped a manic episode?  :D

Then again, I guess it's nice with such a deal and the associated news stories to promote VR. 

• nroskonrosko Posts: 877
    Neo
    Looking at the credits I imagine most of the budget went on wages. 

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 496
    Trinity
    edited November 17
    I thought the first of the 3 sections was OK, but the second 2 sections were very good and I enjoyed the black hole one the most. It is a bit over priced though as £7.99 is a bit pricey I thought, considering that the David Attenborough one, Hold The World, is half the price and just as good quality and has more content. To be honest I still had about £7 of store credit remaining and if it wasn't for that I'm not sure I would have gone for this at that price. It is a quality piece of VR entertainment though and it's like being in one of those lavish Discovery Channel science fact shows like the Cosmos reboot they did not too long back. At about only 30-40 minutes though, it's short but sweet.

I shall have to give that Discovering Space 2 a look at some point, I'm sure I've got it in my wishlist.
    3Jane
    edited December 1
    Upload VR just posted a review of Spheres - they liked it:

https://uploadvr.com/spheres-review-wonder-eliza-mcnitt/

Quote: "Spheres is VR’s equivalent to Planet Earth or Blue Planet, a high-production tour de force that will sweep you up in the majesty of the universe around us and leave you wide-eyed and overwhelmed. It’s one of the most competent showcases of how VR can truly give you an experience unlike anything else, and it’s not to be missed.

Final Say: Must See"