Yaw VR Motion Simulators Are Being Shipped To Backers This Month! — Oculus
New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Yaw VR Motion Simulators Are Being Shipped To Backers This Month!

snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,746 Valuable Player
Yes. That's right. I started a new thread cos I was too lazy to search for the original thread I started. So sue me lol

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/346206518/yaw-vr-compact-portable-motion-simulator/posts/2339700

"Hi Backers!

I'm happy to inform you that we are going to start the delivery even this month. Last week we could solve the last mayor issue. Now the bluetooth connection works well, so just a few minor issues are left, but we don't see any blockers.

We have contacted the first Standard edition backer in Singapore to finalize his order. So we decided we will not send out new survey, but contact all of you one by one  before we start the production of your actual device. 

For PRO and Special Edition backers: right after we finish the first Standard device we will focus on completing the backrest which is the last missing part for PRO and Special Edition.

Thank you for your patience and for the amazing support from all of you!"

I'm REALLY hoping that these things are going to be great because I've hyped myself up over this and don't want to be disappointed lol

With a bit of luck I'll be able to afford to get one of these things in May so I'm really looking forward to jumping in. The likes of Elite Dangerous, Project CARS 2, Assetto Corsa and War Thunder are going to be amazing in one of these things!!!

Pleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegoodpleasebegood...

"This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever

Comments

• BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    I have to wait a little longer for mine as I ordered one of the special editions with the back rest. A must if the latest simulation video is anything to go by as you'll definitely need a seat belt!

The new base design seems to allow a lot more degrees of tilt/pitch.

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 6,266 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    I just hope parts are available to get here in England, if not it's going to be an expensive return if this goes tits up. Does anyone know if they are taking orders for the delivery to the UnitedKingdom when this becomes available?
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,794 Volunteer Moderator

I mentioned in the Feel Three thread about whether that hardware had motion cancellation sorted out for the Rift and it ended up in a lot of twoing and froing (rather appropriate for a motion simulator) with the dev about whether it was indeed compatible with the Rift or not. The dev said it was compatible but that Oculus had to implement support.. which in my book means it wasn't yet compatible!

Anyway, do we know what the position is with Yaw VR? this may have already been discussed, if so , sorry, I can't recall it!

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,746 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    I just hope parts are available to get here in England, if not it's going to be an expensive return if this goes tits up. Does anyone know if they are taking orders for the delivery to the UnitedKingdom when this becomes available?

They're delivering worldwide for Kickstarter backers so I would have thought the same thing applies to pre-orders too.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

I mentioned in the Feel Three thread about whether that hardware had motion cancellation sorted out for the Rift and it ended up in a lot of twoing and froing (rather appropriate for a motion simulator) with the dev about whether it was indeed compatible with the Rift or not. The dev said it was compatible but that Oculus had to implement support.. which in my book means it wasn't yet compatible!

Anyway, do we know what the position is with Yaw VR? this may have already been discussed, if so , sorry, I can't recall it!

Well it looks like they've sorted something out for the Rift. I mentioned the sensor on the motion simulator in that other thread but they've since added another video to their Kickstarter page (either that or I didn't notice it before) with a rollercoaster demo:

It also says on their Kickstarter FAQs that it supports all headsets so I can't see the Rift being a problem.

• bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,823 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    is it me or is that not working properly on the rift. the spinning on the yaw motion is wrong, surely he should be going around in a full circle? 

compare the above video to this one

something does not add up.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • kojackkojack Posts: 5,293 Volunteer Moderator
    It's easy for devs to add motion cancelling to their games (if they don't mind a little bit of 3d maths).
    However it's not easy to add it to other people's games. You need to do two main things:
    - get the game to receive fake tracking data
    - trick ATW (which can't be turned off) to not get in the way

The way people have done the former with the Vive is to intercept the tracking data between the drivers and steamvr, inserting faked (motion cancelled) tracking. The data from Vive hardware is a lot simpler to modify than from the oculus sensors (video frames) though.
    One way to do it with the rift is to intercept the calls to the oculus sdk made by a game and replace the data. Then also modify layer data sent with each frame to trick ATW (ATW does it's own tracking checks that can't be intercepted and compares those to what the game says it used (the motion cancelled tracking). So you need to tell ATW what it wants to hear).

The way I was doing it was dll injection into the game that's running to hijack oculus sdk calls. The big danger for this is that it could be detected as a cheat (since cheats use similar techniques). I'd be wary of running it on steam games or things like Elite in case it triggers a ban. It might be safe (Valve mainly bans known blacklisted cheat signatures), who knows. :)
    (Another downside is that my method wouldn't work on Go or Quest, it's Rift only)

is it me or is that not working properly on the rift. the spinning on the yaw motion is wrong, surely he should be going around in a full circle? 

There are two possible reasons for not spinning a full circle:
    - yaw limit to prevent strangling yourself on the cables. Not needed for a wireless headset.
    - not motion cancelling. If the rig rotated to match the game, then the rift tracking also sees rotation that gets added to the game. Imagine: the game has you facing north, in real life you are facing north. Now the game's rollercoaster turns to face east. The Yaw turns to face east. The rift sees that you are looking 90 degrees from the default. The game then shows you looking south (adding the game's turn with your headset turn) even though you are physically facing east.

Looking at the video, there's also parts where the rollercoaster is going down a hill, the Yaw is pitched forward to match, the guy is looking level (not angled forward like the Yaw), but the view of the game shows the player as looking down the hill. So it looks to me like the Yaw is (ironically) ignoring game yaw but matching game pitch and roll, and doing no motion cancelling. The game is then using world headset tracking as game local rollercoaster seat tracking instead of game world coordinate system tracking.

For a rollercoaster that turns a lot, even if they have motion cancelling working on the rift, the cable would cause a problem (even with overhead cable supports, there's a limit to twisting a cable).

I'll probably get a Yaw, but mainly for Go/Quest and most likely for my (and my student's) own software, so motion cancelling is easier.

yep that is what i meant (i just didnt say it) which to me means it is dishonest to say the rift is supported on the yaw imo, and has the same problem that the feel 3 has, only with that the developers are upfront about it.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • BloodletBloodlet Posts: 735
    3Jane
    edited November 2018

RedRizla said:
    I am in the UK and ordered after the kickstarter had ended.
    They have stated that all motors etc are off the shelf models and easily replaced from local vendors if needed.
    This would suggest the unit is easily user repairable. They also stated all components would have their own supplier warranties if needed.

The unit shown in the video is a very early version of the yaw without any tracking. They are fitting blue tooth tracking to the units for motion cancelling. Not sure if this is working for the rift though.

The amount on movement of the spin can be limited in the driver software. So you can set it to suit your needs, space and cable management. Sim tools software is being used for this for most games.

There is a discord channel set up that is currently the best place to get information. including from the Yaw developer himself: https://discord.gg/VDshErW

You can restrict the motion simulator's 360 spin to stop yourself getting killed by the cable. If you have a wireless headset though you can have unlimited 360 degree movement, meaning the motion simulator can spin around endlessly if a game needs it lol

I'm probably more tempted by this than the Feel Three because of the size and I'm glad some of you guys are getting it so we can have a good review from Rift users... the only people I trust :)

I'm with bigmike on the up-front side of things... even though I had some grumpy interaction on here with the Feel 3 dev, they declared there was a problem on their website. I just slightly disagreed with the way it was kind of being promoted in this forum via their thread, for the Rift without mentioning the issue until I asked the question. At the end of the day, even if it's a simple thing for games developers to add support for their games... or it's simple for Oculus to implement a global solution.... if neither gets done, there'll be a number of frustrated purchasers.

Interesting to see a Rift demo video for this hardware though, that looks like NoLimits 2.

Intel 5820K OC@4Ghz, Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1903 (18362.239)
    Yup, it's a combination of the price, size and the fact that it's fully collapsible, light and portable that got my attention.

Not sure which one I'm going to get though, the prices don't include customs fees etc so you can probably add another 300 quid or so to the total once Customs & Excise have their way.

I might delay my purchase until November next year, not sure yet about my finances.

• JD-UKJD-UK Posts: 2,289 Valuable Player
    My back aches just looking at that thing! :s

• ChazmeisterChazmeister Posts: 535
    Neo
    I'll definitely be up for one if it works and it's not too painful getting one here to the UK. As Mike has said though, it would be nice if they were a little bit more upfront and clear about how they're dealing with the issue of motion cancelling with the Rift.
    New update from the guys doing this:

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/346206518/yaw-vr-compact-portable-motion-simulator/posts/2361065

Looking good so far! By the sounds of it though they haven't starting shipping to backers yet. I really hope these things are comfortable to sit in for a few hours though because I'll probably end up playing Elite Dangerous all day in one of these things if I can get away with it lol :D :D :D

• kzintzikzintzi Posts: 1,068
    Wintermute
    we expect a full review when you get it @snowdog

Though you are more than slightly incoherent, I agree with you Madam,
    a plum is a terrible thing to do to a nostril.
    that looks like an HDMI socket at the front..... a really really big one
    edited December 2018
    that looks like an HDMI socket at the front..... a really really big one
    either that or that is a motion platform  for really really small people :smile:
    I can't unsee that now lmfao :o :D

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 6,163 Volunteer Moderator
    Thats the new HDMI 3000 socket, the lead is quite cheap at the mo..........£9,999.99p
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.

Bollocks. They've put the bloody price up!!! It's gone up from $1190 to $1490 which is a MAJOR pain in the arse :(

I'm not a happy bunny!!!

I probably won't be getting one now I don't think.

Oh well, gives me more money to spend on a headset upgrade I guess. I'm going to wait and see what Oculus announce at F8 and OC6 and how much a Pimax 5K+ full bundle is going to cost with Knuckles controllers if Oculus have gone INSANE and decide not to release the CV2 in till 2022.

Really pissed me off though because I was quite hyped up about playing Elite Dangerous in one of these things. :angry: