New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Crow the Legend, a stunning animated interactive movie.

LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,650 Volunteer Moderator
So this just dropped in the store, and WOW. Oculus Studios and Baobab have created something very magical.

Voiced by a stellar cast such as John Legend, Oprah Winfrey, and Constance Wu, takes you on a journey of self-discovery and finding your way in times of darkness.

The beautifully animated world that would not look out of place in the latest Pixar movie is beautifully rendered. I HIGHLY recommend it, it's FREE!

Contains interactive elements.

Available for the Rift, GO and Gear VR

https://www.oculus.com/blog/bringing-crow-the-legend-to-life-on-oculus/
Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)

Comments

• ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,979 Valuable Player
    nice! Downloading for my GO now. woohoo!
    Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,650 Volunteer Moderator
    Zenbane said:
    nice! Downloading for my GO now. woohoo!
    The Rift version has higher quality textures and environments, but yeah .. its such a nice story.
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

ooh okay. I'll download on both then and compare for funsies.
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,845 Valuable Player
    I'm in discussions with the same developer to bring @vannagirl The Legend to a VR headset near you. It's going to be an 18+ adult interactive film with my future lady wife dressed in latex.

And it won't be free. You're going to have to pay a premium price to see this.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 1,521 Valuable Player
    It's an awesome movie, I do consider it the reference for now - for all viewer ages. I just wrote this review in the Store - rating the semi-interactive movie 5/5:

"Great story - feels much like a Pixar production - and the graphics quality is flawless (it's super-polished like Henry, thus this movie is of the highest professional quality). Using a GTX 1080 I could crank up super sampling to 2.0 and still get solid 90 fps, so this app is greatly optimized. Sound/voices/music, story and graphics were all perfectly made, you can't go wrong with this movie - and maybe best of all, it's free. Compared to similar VR movies, the duration is quite long - about 20 to 25 minutes. Unlike The Bond, this movie is perfect for (young) kids - well, it's probably mostly made for young kids, but their parents will have an awesome time watching this movie too :-) BTW, in some scenes there're interactions using Touch, still it's something quite easy to do even for young kids. The movie can be enjoyed sitting, but I'd recommend to watch it standing - at least when watching it for the first time."
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR"
    @RuneSR2 - in your reviews I just Ctrl+F for "Super Sampling." If it's a yes, I know the rating is high for you lol
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,368 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    I honestly can't tell the difference between 1.5 SS and 2.0 SS, but maybe that's just my eyes because I know RuneSR2 can see it..
  • stevemrstevemr Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just downloaded this to my GO, but when I try to run it, I get a message that I need to update my app, and to go to support.oculus.com for instructions.  I can't find instructions there, and all other apps are working fine.  Any suggestions?
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,368 Valuable Player
    @stevemr - I'd make a post in the support section about this if nobody sees it here. I'm sure you will get some help there..
    edited November 2018
    Zenbane said:
    @RuneSR2 - in your reviews I just Ctrl+F for "Super Sampling." If it's a yes, I know the rating is high for you lol

Actually I primarily provide super sampling info to tell users about performance. I guess you can read between the lines that if a GTX 1080 can provide 90 fps ss 2.0 then gtx 970 to 1060 should have no problem getting 90 fps using ss 1.0 to 1.5  ;)

There are a ton of simple apps and games in the Oculus Store that have low hardware requirements, and I'm quite sure I can get 90 fps using ss 2.0 in nearly all of them, I'd never rate a game or app 5/5 just because I get 90 fps ss 2.0, lol. 
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

I'm not too sure how much to charge for @vannagirl The Legend. I was thinking $100 cos then the maths is easier. And it should be a nice little earner for her considering I'm going to be kind enough to give her a 1% cut. If we release it on all three Oculus headsets we could end up selling over a million copies of this, which would make her a millionairess. B)
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

• TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 703
    3Jane
    edited November 2018
    Wow, that is one of the most impressive Free apps yet and I really enjoyed it on my Rift.  Much better than the paid production Spheres which I did not think lived up to all its review hype.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 148
    Art3mis
    Thanks just brilliant. Way to go Oculus Studios 
    And because she hasn't commented in this thread we can all take it for granted that she's taking part in @vannagirl The Legend.

Please feel free to PM me your credit card details so that I can start taking pre-orders. B) :D

My 6-year-old son saw the movie this weekend and loved it - actually he found out that you could move inside the movie - more like zoom in - he's already ahead of his dad, sigh :blush:

I certainly hope your 6 year old son HASN'T seen @vannagirl in this video!!! I think we need to phone Social Services  :o

One problem with Crow may be that it sets the bar for VR movies so high that developers of similar experiences might not/never be able to compete - or be able to provide experiences that just barely resemble Crow in quality. 

For example I just tried Aurora last evening - and in 2016 such a VR movie may have been impressive, but compared to Crow, The Bond - and even The Great C - Aurora feels beyond mediocre (Aurora works perfectly using super sampling 2.0 on my rig though). 

I wish I could, but I can't recommend this movie - it's about 3-4 minutes long and costs $3 (I'm sorry for the devs, but today any movie of such limited quality and length should probably be free):

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1871793999545823

• LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,650 Volunteer Moderator
    edited January 9
    RuneSR2 said:
    One problem with Crow may be that it sets the bar for VR movies so high that developers of similar experiences might not/never be able to compete - or be able to provide experiences that just barely resemble Crow in quality. 

For example I just tried Aurora last evening - and in 2016 such a VR movie may have been impressive, but compared to Crow, The Bond - and even The Great C - Aurora feels beyond mediocre (Aurora works perfectly using super sampling 2.0 on my rig though). 

I wish I could, but I can't recommend this movie - it's about 3-4 minutes long and costs $3 (I'm sorry for the devs, but today any movie of such limited quality and length should probably be free):

https://www.oculus.com/experiences/rift/1871793999545823

You have to consider that The Crow was made by a studio that is formed of digital animation Hollywood alumni. Those people worked on Oscar-winning DreamWorks animations, they have oscar winning technical engineers and scientists on the team. They are Hollywood veterans with backing from the industry.

Pink Kong, the folks behind AURORA a very indie studio so it's a bit unfair to compare.

It would be like saying, some guy's short movie he made in a basement is not as good as Pixar's latest blockbuster. Each has their own qualities. 

It costs time and money to make something, why would they offer it for free? 

edited January 9
    It costs time and money to make something, why would they offer it for free? 

The Bond and Crow are free - these movies must have cost quite a lot of money to make, I don't know the economy behind Aurora. Of course $3 may be fine for some - it's about 50% the price for The Great C. 

But do try Aurora and let me know what you think - I decided not to write a review in the Store - and I guess many may like Aurora, it has gotten several awards:

• WildtWildt Posts: 1,603
    Project 2501
    edited February 2
    Just started watching it, and had to stop. Did they seriously do low fps character animations to make it look "movie-esque", or is something wrong with my setup? :astonished: :disappointed:
    Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
    edited February 3
    Wildt said:
    Just started watching it, and had to stop. Did they seriously do low fps character animations to make it look "movie-esque", or is something wrong with my setup? :astonished: :disappointed:
    I couldn't agree more (I assume we're talking about Aurora) - I don't think there's anything wrong with you setup, unfortunately for the movie ;) As much as I want to support the developers and VR, I couldn't keep this one in my library - maybe it would have been cool in early 2016... 

Project 2501
    edited February 3
    RuneSR2 said:
    Wildt said:
    I couldn't agree more (I assume we're talking about Aurora) - I don't think there's anything wrong with you setup, unfortunately for the movie ;) As much as I want to support the developers and VR, I couldn't keep this one in my library - maybe it would have been cool in early 2016... 
    Nah, I was talking about Crow. I watched it to the end, and content wise it's without a doubt top notch, but this low-fps animation REALLY hurt my overall enjoyment.
    And it's really odd, that in some scenes the skunk is animated at 90 fps, but in the same shot the chubby little bird next to her looks like 30 or 45 fps. In some scenes Crow is apparently doing 30 fps, but in others, a silky smooth 90.

I know artists have chosen to keep the animation fps low, to avoid the "soap opera" effect, but I hate it. "Henry" and "Lost" look awesome with full 90 fps animation.

Asus Z370-A ||  Watercooled 8700K || 16 GB gSkill ram 3200 || Samsung SSD 840PRO 256GB + 850PRO 256GB + 850EVO 500GB || Watercooled FE Geforce 1080ti || Zalman Reserator XT watercooler || TPcast wireless adapter || MamutVR Gun stock V3 || Asus ROG PG279Q  G-sync monitor
  • Digikid1Digikid1 Posts: 1,680 Valuable Player
    Looks fine to me. All silky smooth. Good little movie. 
    Guess I have to watch Crow again, I didn't notice any low-fps animations, but again I wasn't really looking for that. Maybe you'll like Aurora then  ;)

Project 2501
    Just skimmed the reviews, and I'm not the only one noticing these "choppy" animations.
    3Jane
    Wildt said:
    Just skimmed the reviews, and I'm not the only one noticing these "choppy" animations.
    Ya, one other 3-star guy besides yourself mentioned this so I guess it's unanimous, lol!  The Crow runs smooth-as for most, including myself.  I suggest you may have hardware/software/settings issue(s).  Maybe too high SS?  Maybe some background processes?  Maybe a corrupt file (try reinstalling Crow)?  
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
    Project 2501
    I saw two other guys in the first five pages.
    There was plenty of performance headroom, and ran with no SS. Check my rig in my sig. 
    3Jane
    Wildt, looks like 3x guys notice something similar out of +300 (~1%) reviews so certainly not something that most, including myself, have noticed.  But I guess you see what you see so pretty hard to argue with that.

I just downloaded and watched the latest Go version today and I thought this also looked very nice and fluid, almost as good as the Rift version.  I will agree with you that Henry (Rift and Go versions) does look a little smoother though.  Probably because there is not nearly as much action and expansive scenes.
    Project 2501
    TomCgcmfc said:
    Wildt, looks like 3x guys notice something similar out of +300 (~1%) reviews so certainly not something that most, including myself, have noticed.  But I guess you see what you see so pretty hard to argue with that.

I just downloaded and watched the latest Go version today and I thought this also looked very nice and fluid, almost as good as the Rift version.  I will agree with you that Henry (Rift and Go versions) does look a little smoother though.  Probably because there is not nearly as much action and expansive scenes.
    Just for the hell of it, I actually skimmed all the reviews, and found 5 reviews mentioning it. I know I notice dropped frames and such more than most people, but it still suprises me that so few have been annoyed with this. 

Just like when watching a movie with a framerate what doesn't multiply into the displays update frequency. My wife is blissfully unaware, but I can't watch a movie like that.

3Jane
    Ya, I guess some like you are more sensitive to these things than most.