New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Bye bye oculus

vavoumvavoum Posts: 10
NerveGear
That'S it.I'm done with my oculus .Sold it..I can't stand the software update anymore and the regression they cause. That home things scrapped my experience with their  ecosystem for the last time. It't invasive full of bug(hire decent QA plzz) I hope there next version of hardware and software in a year will bring me back i had good time but lack of good customer support, consistently having regression in perf each and every update bring and there overall poor software design go a toll of me.Sad i was here since dk2 but thing are not improving. I bought a samsung odyssey plus..and i'm in heaven...see ya guys!

Comments

• RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,044 Valuable Player
    edited November 15
    I read a review on here about the Samsung Odyssey plus from a guy who covered it in great detail. He didn't reckon much to it. I've had no problems with Oculus Home, so maybe it's you computer that's not up to it or something on your PC causing you problems. Bye for now..

https://forums.oculusvr.com/community/discussion/71011/my-odyssey-review/p1
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 483
    Trinity
    Good luck with your new Samy and WMR.  Maybe see ya on the flip side!
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,628
    Project 2501
    Yep good luck on your new headset.
    Still using my Rift pretty much daily and loving it. Oculus Home has never really bothered me, and does not seem to affect my performance.

Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
     Sorry to hear you've thrown in the towel with Oculus and sold your Rift. In a way, that gives them short-term gains since the new owner will be buying games. Since they only officially support Windows 10, it may be a Microsoft victory in the end.  
  • ThmoasThmoas Posts: 276
    Nexus 6
    Such a negative post! It's of course ok to starten to dislike the Rift and sell it, but why just drop us like that? You could at least made a review of the Odyssey+, it's always nice to hear a nother opinion. And maybe answer some of our questions!
  • ZenbaneZenbane Posts: 12,264 Power Poster
    I think this is the first time I've ever heard someone directly relate a Microsoft environment to "Heaven." Well done!

Are you a fan of the Myst games? Check out my Mod at http://www.mystrock.com/
    Catch me on Twitter: twitter.com/zenbane
  • RuneSR2RuneSR2 Posts: 901
    3Jane
    edited November 16
    vavoum said:
    That'S it.I'm done with my oculus .Sold it..I can't stand the software update anymore and the regression they cause. That home things scrapped my experience with their  ecosystem for the last time. It't invasive full of bug(hire decent QA plzz) I hope there next version of hardware and software in a year will bring me back i had good time but lack of good customer support, consistently having regression in perf each and every update bring and there overall poor software design go a toll of me.Sad i was here since dk2 but thing are not improving. I bought a samsung odyssey plus..and i'm in heaven...see ya guys!

Maybe I'm lucky, but I'm monitoring performance quite closely and I haven't experienced reduced performance in games or apps due to recent (Home) updates. I do believe that Oculus takes great care to provide customers with the best VR performance possible.
    Intel i7 7700K (4.5 GHz); MSI GeForce GTX 1080 8GB Gaming X (oc 2100 MHz boost, 11 Ghz ram); 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 3200 MHz; MSI Z270I Gaming Pro Carbon AC (VR-Ready) mainboard; Samsung 960 Evo M.2 SSD + Toshiba P300 HD; Windows 10 OS; Oculus Rift CV1 - nearly always using super sampling 2.0. 

"Ask not what VR can do for you – ask what you can do for VR" ;-)
    edited November 17
    I will give the OP credit for going WMR instead of Vive. Check out this latest story of Vive Support:

HTC Vive Attempted To Scam Me of $270 For a Simple Repair

You: When I first contacted an agent about this problem It was clearly stated that this was a malfunction.

You: I am referring to my first talk with Jenny C which happens to be my first live chat with your team

Johana V.: I completely understand you, and I saw myself the transcript, I am very sorry for the misunderstanding, however this the right information, I really wish I was able to give you what you were expecting, but the thing is that based on the techs diagnose, this is actually an induced damage, which is not covered by the warranty

You: So then how do you consider anything under warranty for malfunctions? This makes no sense

Johana V.: Eric, that's the thing the situation is not considered as a manufacture damage, that's why you were charged, and I am sure you remember that Jenny told you that this was a possibility, and that it would depend on the repair center diagnosis

You: Okay well thank you have a good day

So as you can see this is pretty much a Scam. Honestly I would have been fine paying for it's repair but when you're charging $270, which is half of the price for a new headset, for particularly a small piece of plastic which most likely costs the company 50 cents to make is pretty much a SCAM. So I am never going to buy any products from Vive in the future.

https://www.reddit.com/r/oculus/comments/9xsxn3/htc_vive_attempted_to_scam_me_of_270_for_a_simple/

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,341 Power Poster
    Yup, I saw that yesterday. Tbh he should have just gone to the Gamestop he bought it from and got a replacement rather than dealing with HTC.

No surprise that Valve are releasing their own headset.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
    Never a guarantee that things will go well with Gamestop:

Watch what Vives you buy in GameStop

They are known for throwing returned products back on the shelf, even if defective. And unless you keep your receipt, you could be screwed.
  • vavoumvavoum Posts: 10
    NerveGear
    Im not saying bye to oculus but only the rift. making sure people know the difference lo. I'll buy the rift cv2 for sure. its just the rift i can't stand. so much better stuff out there imo. i still have my go my gear the dk1 and dk2 but i feel the cv1 is not doing the job and the pc ecosystem is not for me on oculus!
    k
  • PhoenixSpyderPhoenixSpyder Posts: 138
    Art3mis
    As an owner of both Rift and O+, I still prefer my Rift...but only due to the huge performance headroom available when running many games that I can push to the max visually with SS. I can't do the same on the O+ for the most part due to Steam VR being so poorly optimized (for the games I play). Yes, the O+ has a great screen, no SDE and larger FOV . I mostly use the Rift because Steam games can run without Steam VR now, with loads more fps than before, due to OpenOVR. In the end, for me, fps and smooth gameplay counts more than a perfectly clear screen that may or may not run as smooth. Yes, I still use the O+ but subjectively.

Cheers!!!
  • WingnutradioWingnutradio Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    I wish there more more integration between all of the Oculus platforms? Go users can't even join a party with Rift users and experience anything other than an 'Audio' chat? :( Am i missing something?
    Hiro Protagonist
     I can understand your frustration. Not having issues myself now, but my CPU doesn't have the blessing. With things the way they have been. An Oculus update is like a bomb scare here. As the owner of Rift and Vive, hardware wise, I prefer Oculus, by a hair, in every category because of my mostly sit down sim game preferences. I like the touch controllers much more. Much more than that I'd have to say are the many great titles that come from Oculus studio. 
     When I do get nuked by their "revised minimum requirements" I will most likely have to resort to the Vive. 
     I'll probably start buying parts for a new machine in the spring for the next generation. For me it will probably be the Pimax 5k+ due to my chronic case of. VRGAS, Virtual Reality Gear Aquisition Syndrome. 
     What I don't understand, is why they are not using Vulcan now. Isn't the graphics API OpenGL for VR? Isn't Vulcan and VR the perfect marriage? I don't know, not a programmer here other than a bit of HTML and wrote some MS visual basic programs. 
     My main worry that, gives me cause to construct a better tinfoil hat, is the Microsoft connection. Since they only support Win 10, that leaves MS holding all the cards. No one plays the designed obsolescence and coerced upgrade scheme than them. I would imagine, MS would love to acquire Oculus. I can see it now the MS Oculus sidewinder WMR. Please god, don't let it happen. ;) 

All I want for Christmas is to not get nuked by an update until at least after the holidays. Just can't get enough of  Vox Machinae

Blessings and happy VR to all of any faith and no faith alike    
  • WingnutradioWingnutradio Posts: 6
    NerveGear
    ohgrant said:
     I can understand your frustration. Not having issues myself now, but my CPU doesn't have the blessing. With things the way they have been. An Oculus update is like a bomb scare here. As the owner of Rift and Vive, hardware wise, I prefer Oculus, by a hair, in every category because of my mostly sit down sim game preferences. I like the touch controllers much more. Much more than that I'd have to say are the many great titles that come from Oculus studio. 
     When I do get nuked by their "revised minimum requirements" I will most likely have to resort to the Vive. 
     I'll probably start buying parts for a new machine in the spring for the next generation. For me it will probably be the Pimax 5k+ due to my chronic case of. VRGAS, Virtual Reality Gear Aquisition Syndrome. 
     What I don't understand, is why they are not using Vulcan now. Isn't the graphics API OpenGL for VR? Isn't Vulcan and VR the perfect marriage? I don't know, not a programmer here other than a bit of HTML and wrote some MS visual basic programs. 
     My main worry that, gives me cause to construct a better tinfoil hat, is the Microsoft connection. Since they only support Win 10, that leaves MS holding all the cards. No one plays the designed obsolescence and coerced upgrade scheme than them. I would imagine, MS would love to acquire Oculus. I can see it now the MS Oculus sidewinder WMR. Please god, don't let it happen. ;) 

All I want for Christmas is to not get nuked by an update until at least after the holidays. Just can't get enough of  Vox Machinae

Blessings and happy VR to all of any faith and no faith alike    
    Hi thanks for replying, i was curious why our Rift system has limitations integrating with other platforms?
    I wonder why Oculus hasn't tried to attempt to bridge this gap?  With new Go software the users are able to have a more enjoyable experience interacting and setting up Party invites and requests with games and such.  You are NOT able to do this with a RIFT?
     Also are you worried about your computers system limitations? Microsoft is working on AR called 'Hololens'.  It took like a pretty spec'd out to the hilt type of machine. Check out some of the articles about it, I believe it is even wireless.
    Hiro Protagonist
    edited December 7
     Other platforms such as GearVR/ Go? I think it's more of a matter of lack of hardware power on the PC's, the mobile chips in the Go, and network bandwidth to make any such integration feasible right now. I do predict such integration is in the near future, a technological inevitability IMO. I think we will one day be able to even host a co-op game with a nearby Go or Quest.
     Worried about my hardware not up to the task, not in the least. I have too many 3D and old VR options that I still use to get too worked up about much. 
     My biggest worry is that the current golden age of VR comes to an abrupt end because of greedy profiteering. 
     Yea, I've looked at the hololens project a while back. Not something I would consider, I find augmented reality a step back from VR. If there were a device that could darken to black and provide the same image quality and FOV as VR standards. IOW it would have to do both for me. 
     I can see that tech being more practical for use with doing tasks that maybe having technical info, schematics, blueprints or some other info that would be nice to have within eyeshot.    
  • ShocksOculusShocksOculus Posts: 133
    Art3mis
    K
    i7-7700k, GTX 1080Ti (11G) || MSI B150m (1 USB controller) + Inateck 4-port USB to PCIe (2nd USB controller)
    Oculus RIFT - 3 sensor Room-scale
    Oculus GO