New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

PS VR Any Good?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
edited November 16 in Off-Topic
I have the chance to purchase the PS VR headset dirt cheap of someone and just wondered if it is worth getting. Even if it's just to play Resident Evil lol. Seriously though is it any good visually and does it want to make you puke more with it's 60Hz refresh, or is it 75Hz, I can't remember?

Edit: Just checked out some reviews and it's not for me..

Comments

• Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,999 Volunteer Moderator
    Agreed mate, I'd turn one down if someone gave me it with a tenner lol
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,164 Power Poster
    Pfft, what kind of VR snobbery is this? To this day and in my humble opinion there is no game on any VR device that can match the quality horror VR experience that is RE 7.  What I would do is take it, play RE 7 then sell it after you are done.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    edited November 16
    I did hear Astro Bot is also supposed to be good :)
  • LuluViBritanniaLuluViBritannia Posts: 366
    Trinity
    The screens are too blurry, the tracking works only while facing one direction, and the controllers are kind of shit, so I really don't advise buying it ^^'.
    I played a racing game with it, it was simply unplayable, I could barely see anything.
    Previous VR face :

My current config : HP Omen laptop, 8 GB RAM, Intel i5-7300HQ @2.5GHz + Nvidia GTX 1050 (2GB VRAM).

Currently plays on :

- Beat Saber.
    - Windlands.
    - Skyrim VR.

I use VR for :
    - Games.
    - Art Software (Tilt Brush, Oculus Medium, Mocu Mocu Dance).
    - Cinema VR (Oculus Desktop or Virtual Desktop).

"You are allowed to kill only if you are prepared to die."
  • Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,164 Power Poster
    You don't need tracking for RE 7.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
    edited November 16
    Just seen a Black friday deal for it, Do you reckon it's worth this price if I ditched the controllers? It's £179.99 with Resident Evil 7 and Astro Bot..

https://www.game.co.uk/en/black-friday/early/psvr/?inStockOnly&cm_sp=deals-_-skinny1-_-EBF-PSVR
  • JaimieVandenberghJaimieVandenbergh Posts: 205
    Nexus 6
    I've had Rift and Vive and PSVR since their respective launches, to establish creds.

The PSVR is far better than it has any right to be, given the price it's built down to. I'd recommend it to any aspiring VR player, and have directly sold six by demoing it to friends. 

The tracking (360 degree) is remarkably solid - it's from a VGA-quality camera and lights on the headset but it does really well, you need to be between 1m - 3m of the camera for full reliability. It doesn't require a training session.

The visuals are slightly mixed but overall good. Yes it's lower res than Rift, but the pixels are individually masked so no subpixel visual artefacts exist, each pixel is one colour not three and touch so there's no screen door. The lenses are normal not fresnel so no god rays. 120Hz probably helps make it good, even though that's by trickery from a 60Hz signal (if I remember correctly).

The headset strapping is best of class for keeping it set solid on your head, and for getting it in the right place for visuals too. (Note: I've not tried the new strapping for the Vive)

The Move controllers are a bit shit, Wii-quality waggle, but I've used them like once. The gun thing is very good though. The PS4 controller is tracked too, and is what I use 99% of the time.

All said, I'd rate it 5/5 if I hadn't used higher-res headsets. 4/5 it is.
    Nexus 6
    One major downside I forgot, the external headphones required makes it a faff, same as the Vive.

An additional plus: You can use it with a PS4 without even needing a TV, just press the on button on the PSVR lead and you get a virtual screen immediately. I've set it up this way at events in the past - camera blu-tacked to the top of the PS4, no TV.
    edited November 16
    @JaimieVandenbergh - I thought that PS VR was only front facing? Are you sure it's 360 degree tracked?
    Nexus 6
    It's got two lights on the back of the headband for tracking 360. It definitely works.
  • LZoltowskiLZoltowski Posts: 6,429 Volunteer Moderator
    edited November 16
    I had the "pleasure?" of playing some PSVR games at a game conference, it's 360, just limited viewing angle as it's a single camera, so do not expect room scale, or a big play area. The lenses are glass, meaning almost no god rays, but they do have a strange optical quality with a fair bit of chromatic fringing. It's a decent experience, the resolution is a bit janky, feels downsampled somehow. It's fairly comfy, but my face got super sweaty in minutes, and I hardly sweat.

In general it;s a decent experience, if a bit clunky and feels a bit archaic when compared to Rift or even Vive. 
    Core i7-7700k @ 4.9 Ghz | 32 GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance @ 3000Mhz | 2x 1TB Samsung Evo | 2x 4GB WD Black
    ASUS MAXIMUS IX HERO | MSI AERO GTX 1080 OC @ 2000Mhz | Corsair Carbide Series 400C White (RGB FTW!) 

Be kind to one another :)
  • inovatorinovator Posts: 1,310
    Wintermute
    Buy it!! I own the rift and go and Playstation vr. I never used anything but the Playstation pro with it but the bump up I heard is not huge if u use the regular Playstation 4. The visuals is very comparable to the high ends. A little more blurry in some games. Farpoint and resident even are some of my all time vr favorites  astro bot is a kick as game. Tracking is good enough but can't compare with rift. I have 90 hours in skyrim and it's been a blast. You will be happy with it. 
    @inovator - What about the wand controllers are they worth getting?
    Wintermute
    Yes you should get them it takes time to get used to them but once you do its worth it. Some gamed need them exclusively. At 1st I used the game controller with skyrim and it was OK. I had a challenge getting used to motion controls but the game was missing something. I dug  in and got used to the motion controller's and 90 hours of skyrim later they are 2nd nature. 
    @inovator - Just out of interest why don't you play Skyrim VR on PC?
    Wintermute
    It came out on Playstation vr 1st about a year earlier and I didn't want to start over. When I finish I may play it again on the rift. Borderlands 3 the full game is coming out I believe exclusively on plvr. Thats  this year! That alone makes it worth it. 
    edited November 16
    The screens are too blurry, the tracking works only while facing one direction, and the controllers are kind of shit, so I really don't advise buying it ^^'.
    I played a racing game with it, it was simply unplayable, I could barely see anything.

Do you mean the wand controllers are only working while facing one direction, like front facing? It's just other people in this thread are saying it's got 360 degree? 

Edit: @inovator - I just ordered it but without the wands for now. It cost £179.99 with AstroBot and Resident Evil 7 included. I don't think I can go wrong for that price and will finally get to play Resident Evil 7 in VR. Even if I just complete the two included games and then sell it, I think I will have got my moneys worth. But I see Borderlands is also an exclusive, so I might end up keeping it after all. 
    Wintermute
    It only has one camera so you can't turn 360.
    edited November 16
    inovator said:
    It only has one camera so you can't turn 360.

Some people in the thread have said it has lights on the back for 360 degree? Have I misunderstood what they mean when they say it has got 360? @JaimieVandenbergh says it has the lights on the back back of the head band and it's 360, So which is it, I'm confused?
  • Techy111Techy111 Posts: 4,999 Volunteer Moderator
    Have a read here, defo mentions 360 tracking mate = https://finalboss.io/playstation-vr-psvr-virtual-reality-honest-hardware-review/
    A PC with lots of gadgets inside and a thing to see in 3D that you put on your head.
    And FlyInside Forum Admin.
    Flyinside Flight Simulator is coming !!!!! (In Beta)
    @inovator - Have you played this because it looks my type of game. Wish the Oculus Rift had this and a few other PS VR titles..

Wintermute
    Nice article. It's funny it mentions the newer Playstation vr. I'm actually going to buy the newer one on black friday for 200.00 that includes astro bots and moss.
    Wintermute
    I haven't played firewall yet but it received great reviews