New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

RIFT CV1 Mid Life Refresh..

DilipDilip Posts: 235
Nexus 6
edited November 2018 in Oculus Rift S and Rift
Oculus Quest has proven inside out tracking can also be perfected with more cameras placed at strategic point on headset also reduction in additional hardware to be placed on desk next to PC thus requiring less wiring is always more fast and easy.

In my opinion best RIFT CV1 Mid Life Refresh would be 

  • Oculus Quest Type (inside out) Tracking
  • Option to connect with single cable using Virtuallink 
  • Anti SDE Displays & Oculus Go Optics
  • Controllers connected with HMD via internal blue tooth that do not require any kind of setup.

Bring it to price point of $300 will be boost to Oculus Demographic in specific and VR Industry in general. 

Comments

  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 6,130 Valuable Player
    They haven't perfected inside-out tracking because perfect inside-out tracking is an impossibility due to physics.

    You're always going to lose tracking when the controllers are close to the headset and you're also going to have blind spots behind you.

    I don't want to see inside-out tracking anywhere near the CV2.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

    Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,873 Valuable Player
    snowdog said:
    They haven't perfected inside-out tracking because perfect inside-out tracking is an impossibility due to physics.

    You're always going to lose tracking when the controllers are close to the headset and you're also going to have blind spots behind you.

    I don't want to see inside-out tracking anywhere near the CV2.
    I am with you there.
    Love the solid tracking I get with my Rift, for PC-VR I do not want to go backwards in any of the features.
    And I am already using the Virtual Link port, everything including headset HDMI plugged into it.
    Loving my Rift setup!
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 743
    3Jane
    dburne said:
    snowdog said:
    They haven't perfected inside-out tracking because perfect inside-out tracking is an impossibility due to physics.

    You're always going to lose tracking when the controllers are close to the headset and you're also going to have blind spots behind you.

    I don't want to see inside-out tracking anywhere near the CV2.
    I am with you there.
    Love the solid tracking I get with my Rift, for PC-VR I do not want to go backwards in any of the features.
    And I am already using the Virtual Link port, everything including headset HDMI plugged into it.
    Loving my Rift setup!

    So you are already using your nvidia series 20 virtual link port, obviously with an adapter?  Sorry but I don't see much point in doing this except I guess it can help free up some ports.  Any other advantages (or cons)?  thanks.

    Personally I'm happy to wait for Oculus Gen2 VR and whatever tracking method it employs (maybe a hybrid?), even if we are talking 2021-2022.  At least give me time to save up for a Gen2 PC, lol!

    What I would like to see soon is an affordable and stable wireless headset connection for the rift, maybe even wireless sensors.  The current tethered headset connection is starting to get a bit old for me.
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,873 Valuable Player
    TomCgcmfc said:
    dburne said:
    snowdog said:
    They haven't perfected inside-out tracking because perfect inside-out tracking is an impossibility due to physics.

    You're always going to lose tracking when the controllers are close to the headset and you're also going to have blind spots behind you.

    I don't want to see inside-out tracking anywhere near the CV2.
    I am with you there.
    Love the solid tracking I get with my Rift, for PC-VR I do not want to go backwards in any of the features.
    And I am already using the Virtual Link port, everything including headset HDMI plugged into it.
    Loving my Rift setup!

    So you are already using your nvidia series 20 virtual link port, obviously with an adapter?  Sorry but I don't see much point in doing this except I guess it can help free up some ports.  Any other advantages (or cons)?  thanks.

    Personally I'm happy to wait for Oculus Gen2 VR and whatever tracking method it employs (maybe a hybrid?), even if we are talking 2021-2022.  At least give me time to save up for a Gen2 PC, lol!

    What I would like to see soon is an affordable and stable wireless headset connection for the rift, maybe even wireless sensors.  The current tethered headset connection is starting to get a bit old for me.
    Yes, been running it this way for over 2 weeks.
    I like the simplicity of having everything plugged into that one port, and yes freed up 3 USB 3 ports along with my one HDMI port on the GPU. 

    Also at times I would get a disconnect sound on bootup previous, and it would most times be my headset USB that got disconnected and would have to reboot, or unplug it and plug back in, to get it back.  So far that has not happened once with using the Virtual Link port, and everything is solid.
    Don

    EVGA Z390 Dark MB | I9 9900k| EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |32 GB G Skill 3200 cl14 ram | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals | EVGA DG 87 Case|
  • DilipDilip Posts: 235
    Nexus 6
    So its proved Virtual link port is Future and need to come faster
Sign In or Register to comment.