New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Optoma has just launched a feature-packed portable LED projector - the UHL55

Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,164 Power Poster
edited November 19 in Off-Topic
Any thoughts on this. I know some of you guys have a projector like me. Except, I've not used mine in years. So maybe it's time to upgrade?

https://www.optoma.co.uk/product-details/uhl55?

Small and light enough to move from room to room, this new projector has everything in one box including integrated speakers and a host of connection options such as WiFi, Bluetooth, HDMI and MHL. Bluetooth functionality means external speakers, headphones or a keyboard and mouse can be connected cable-free. It can even play content directly from a USB memory stick via its 4K UHD media player.

UHL55 key features

• 4K UHD resolution and HDR compatible
  • LED technology – 30,000 hours light source lifetime
  • Voice control - Amazon Alexa supported device
  • Feature packed - built in media player, WiFi and Bluetooth (can also be used as a Bluetooth speaker)
  • Easy installation - Auto focus and auto keystone
  • Digital connectivity – 2x HDMI, Audio out, S/PDIF, USB wireless Alexa, USB reader, RJ45
  • Powerful sound – built-in stereo speakers
  • Fluid viewing - PureMotion frame interpolation processing
  • Full 3D
  • Back lit Bluetooth remote control

Packed with the latest technology and features, this stylish projector boasts High Dynamic Range (HDR) compatibility, HDCP 2.2 support and PureMotion frame-interpolation technology to produce stand-out images. This advanced processing eliminates motion blur or image judder, even in high-speed action films or fast-paced sports.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.

Comments

• MorgrumMorgrum Posts: 1,361 Poster of the Week
    edited November 19

ohhhhhh depending on price that might go in my deployment kit.

lol 3k never mind!

WAAAGH!
  • DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,040 Valuable Player
    edited November 19

I'm not really in the market for a projector now that large flat TVs are getting so good and almost reasonably priced... but I like to learn about the developments. Would probably be interested in a pocket projector if they become capable enough.

One thing that annoys me a little bit is the marketing wank that so many companies add to their products still. In this case... HDR compatible which is a bit meaningless for a projector that depends completely on the surface being used and the ambient lighting, not to mention the brightness of the lamp.

...and I think we should have moved on from using LED as a selling point for tech by now. I mean incandescent lamps in projectors have long gone. I get annoyed at TVs being described as LED when LCD is the screen technology involved, LED being the illumination method. It's like describing my car as an LED car because it had LED rear lights.

Anyway, nice projector :)

Gateway 2000, Pentium II 300 Mhz CPU, 64Mb RAM, STB Velocity 128 AGP Graphics Card with 4MB SGRAM, 6.4Gb Hard Drive, US Robotics 56.5kbps Internal Modem, 12/24x CDROM Drive, Ensoniq AudioPCI, Windows 95.
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Looks nice, but calling that portable is a big stretch.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • ohgrantohgrant Posts: 78
    Hiro Protagonist
    Looks nice, but I'm skeptical. I checked out 2 LED projectors the last few years that friends bought. Advertised as full HD and 3D. The picture was so dim and the motion and the color were so terrible in 2D. I had to recommend they return it or stash it in the closet.  The 3D was anaglyph (colored glasses) I'm not sure how much they paid for them.
     Sounds like they may have got the motion sorted. The 4K sounds interesting, I got my 1st 4K TV a few months ago. The only thing I can watch in actual 4K right now is YouTube. I could upgrade to 4K on Netflix but haven't tried that yet. I'm not sure how much actual 4K content is out there to justify 4K yet. 
     As far as full 3D, that may work for your 3D Bluerays and possibly Playstation's 3D driver but unless it can do the necessary 120 refresh rate to be Nvidia 3D ready, it will not game on your PC in 3D. If that is important to you. 
     Not sure what projector you currently have, but if it's DLP, I doubt the picture will be an upgrade. Our theatre uses DLP and I doubt LED is ready to replace it. I may be wrong. 
     I like the idea of Bluetooth streaming and decent stereo speakers. I look forward to the reviews.  

• Shadowmask72Shadowmask72 Posts: 3,164 Power Poster
    Morgrum said:

ohhhhhh depending on price that might go in my deployment kit.

lol 3k never mind!

£1,299.

System Specs: RTX 2080 ti , i7 4790K CPU, 16 GB RAM, Win 10 64 Bit OS.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,038 Valuable Player
    I have a Optoma GT1080 Darbee and love it for watching movies. I saw some Youtube videos about 4k Projectors where people said they couldn't see the difference between a 1080p and 4K one. The Darbee tech on mine makes the picture so much better. I heard that led projectors aren't that good for the same reason that ohgrant mentions. I'm not sure if they are all like that though..
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 660
    Neo
    I have an Optima HD33 and it's amazing, I've owned it for 5 years now and it's still going strong, 1080p and 3D, the 3D is amazing just like in the cinema and the picture is perfect to me. It cost me £1300 at the time but I reckon you could buy it for £500 2nd hand on ebay now.