New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Black screen after 15-20 minutes?

Voice13Voice13 Posts: 2
NerveGear
When I first start the Oculus it will work fine for the first 15-20 minutes, then after that the video will start randomly cutting out and be replaced by a black screen.  At first It will only be black for a split second then it will return to normal, but as I continue to play the game the black screen will start displaying longer and longers until I just can't play anymore cause all I see is black. What should I do? 

my current setup is
i7-7700k
GTX 970
16 gigs DDR4 RAM
Crucial 240 gig SSD support with a 1t HDD

Comments

• cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    Could be a cable issue. Can you replug the headset cable on both ends? You might also want to wiggle it in case it became damaged and is loosing connection. Best to reach out to us, you may be under warranty.
    https://support.oculus.com/
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • Voice13Voice13 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    A friend gave me his Oculus would the warranty still work since I am not the one that bought it?
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    The warranty is only valid for the original owner, but you can see if your friend can help you.
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
  • YoLolo69YoLolo69 Posts: 1,088
    Wintermute
    If that happened to me and reproducing after a similar time, I will also check if it's not due to some overheating in my computer (CPU or GPU) using a monitoring software. VR is really demanding and the GTX970 may suffer. I will also check in my devices manager if the power option of my Oculus sensors are set to not be automatically turned OFF by Windows after a while (around 20min).

“Dreams feel real while we are in them, it's only when we wake up that we realize something was strange.” - Dom Cobb

"Be careful, if you are killed in real life you die in VR too." - TD_4242

I7 3770K OC 4.6GHz, GTX1080 OC 10%, 16GB DDR3 2448  OC, Oculus Rift CV1

• AlexanderRozhenkoAlexanderRozhenko Posts: 3
    NerveGear
    I have exactly the same problem...flickers to black after several minutes of playing Skyrim VR with the periods of black getting as long as a couple of seconds after a while then full black, no recovery. Still has sound throughout. The game is still running on my screen but no vision in the headset.

Shut down and restart Oculus and it works again (for a while).

I have a nice new system.

i7-9700, RTX 2080, 16GB RAM. 500GB SSD + 2TB HDD. had the Rift about a month.

I've checked the cables, seem secure. Checked that sensors not turned off by Windows.

Any ideas?

Chris
  • ScottTX420ScottTX420 Posts: 1
    NerveGear
    I just my Oculus a few weeks and I'm also experiencing intermittent black screens.  For me it starts after about an hour, sometimes sooner.  I bought a 4 port inateck usb card recommended by oculus that will hopefully correct the black screen issues, I just ordered it so I'll have report back after it's installed.  Another thing when I got my headset there's clearly a smudge mark on the inside of one of the lenses, looks like glue from the factory.  

Even though vr is really cool and it's my first time using it I have to admit I'm not too impressed with the quality of the hardware or the constant problems, the black screen issue is very common from faulty hdmi cords