cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Highest playable video resolution

Anonymous
Not applicable
What is the max video resolution that is playable on the Oculus Go?

I can happily play 4k videos (3840 x 1920 pixels), although I recently discovered the Go can also play 4096 x 2048 resolution videos.

However, the Go won't playback 5k videos very smoothly, which are instead intended for the Rift. To confirm this, I downloaded a 2300p video, and the Go attempts to play it but stutters, and jump frames, and eventually crashes the video player software.

The confusion here is that the Oculus Go actually has a higher resolution screen (2560 x 1440) over the Rift (2160 x 1200)... yet the Rift can play 5k resolution videos and not the Go?
4 REPLIES 4

RedRizla
Honored Visionary
The Rift uses the power of a PC and the Oculus Go just mobile tech, which isn't powerful enough...

Anonymous
Not applicable

RedRizla said:

The Rift uses the power of a PC and the Oculus Go just mobile tech, which isn't powerful enough...

I can understand the higher processing power associated with the Rift but I still can't understand how that benefits the ability to play a higher 5k resolution video given that the Rift's screen resolution is smaller than the Go.

For example, it's like viewing a 5k picture on a 1080p monitor - you're only going to see 1080p max resolution, while the rest of the 5k picture quality is lost (via downscaling). You'll only see the full glory of that 5k detail when the picture is viewed on a 5k resolution monitor.

So with the Rift having a lower resolution than the Go - even with the extra horsepower provided from the connected PC - what is the benefit (visually) of playing a higher resolution video?

Protocol7
Heroic Explorer
For the max resolution video the Oculus Go can decode, have a look at this:

thiskiwicanfly said:

it's like viewing a 5k picture on a 1080p monitor

If you viewed a zoomed in portion of a 5K video on a 1080p monitor then you would be able to see the detail of the image.

Similarly with VR video, the 5K image is
spread over a 180 degree (or 360 degree) field of view and your headset
only displays a small portion of that at any one time. You move your head around and it shows you a different slice of the video. For a 180 degree video, 5K is barely adequate to look acceptable. If you watch lower resolution videos you will easily see the lack of detail.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Protocol7 said:
Similarly with VR video, the 5K image is
spread over a 180 degree (or 360 degree) field of view and your headset
only displays a small portion of that at any one time. You move your head around and it shows you a different slice of the video. For a 180 degree video, 5K is barely adequate to look acceptable. If you watch lower resolution videos you will easily see the lack of detail.

That's a good explanation, thanks.

Very interesting read on the reddit post - 5k video playback on the Go with version 3.47 and the video has to be H.264 encoded. Wow!

Thanks for the helpful info.