New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Red Dead Redemption 2 PC?

RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,044 Valuable Player
edited December 5 in Off-Topic
I literally purchased a PlayStation for Red dead Redemption 2 yesterday and it's going back today. The Playstation controls really do suck when you are used to keyboard & mouse. What is it with RockStar that they can't just say if they intend bringing this game to the PC? I mean, why do some development teams choose to act all secretive about a game coming to the PC or not? When do you think we are most likely to hear something, or do you think it will just go the same way as the first Red dead Redemption and not arrive on the PC?

I didn't get chance to see if Red dead Redemption 2 is better then Grand Theft Auto V, which I have on my PC. But for those that have played both games what do you reckon? I'm talking about comparing the games now not the Playstation controller v Keyboard & Mouse. I just want to get an idea what Read dead 2 is like compared to GTA V. I thought it looked a really good game, but didn't stay on it long enough because I'm useless with the Playstation controller..

Comments

• kojackkojack Posts: 4,644 Volunteer Moderator
    GTA V console release: september 2013.
    GTA V PC release: april 2015.

Rockstar always does PC releases way after console.

I'm not holding my breath for RDR2 on PC any time soon.
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,044 Valuable Player
    edited November 24
    kojack said:

I might see what the online brings on Playstation 4 and if it's any good I might get a used Playstaion 4 instead of spending £329.99 on a Playstation 4 Pro with the game included. I don't think I can wait for over a year to play this game, but my god do the Console controllers suck. The aim I imagine is like trying to fire a riffle while you're completely drunk..

@kojack - Are you a Console gamer? How do you find the Playstion controller if you are?
  • RattyUKRattyUK Posts: 471
    Trinity
    edited November 24
    @RedRizla ; - I have both PS3 & PS4 - both controllers are 'ok'  but the PS4 is the better of the two.  Battery life though is naff in comparison to the 3!  The nice thing is that on the 4 the controller can be charged from a normal charger rather than only from the console.
    Both come nowhere near using KB & M but...   I've never particularly liked any of the games controllers but there are some games on the PC that still won't permit customised KB input sensibly - usually those ported from consoles!

Edit:  Because the joysticks are analogue aiming is pretty precise (just soooo sloooow!) once muscle memory is established.
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    edited November 24
    @RattyUK - How long do the batteries last on the PlayStation 4 controllers? Do you have Red dead Redemption 2 and would you say it's worth getting a PS 4 for? The current Black Friday deal is RD 2 and PS 4 for £219, but would I get used to the Playstation controller after a while or would I keep thinking it suck lol?
    Trinity
    edited November 24
    @RedRizla ; the PS4 controller battery is good for about 6-8 hours use (PS3 was aroud 30!) but you can still use it while a 'phone charger is doing its thing (or a long USB cable from the console) so it isn't dreadful.
    RDR2 isn't on my list of 'must have' games, sorry, so I honestly don't know!  The PS3/4 consoles were bought for specific games  (the Uncharted series, Midnight Club LA, Lego games...), pretty much what you are considering :)
    If you are anything like me you will loathe the controller initially, then get used to it and be slightly less 'bleh!' about them - the PS4 controller is much more comfortable than PS3 and is around the same 'fit' now as X-Box controller for Windows...
    ETA: And if you are a masochist the PS4 controller will connect to your PC via Bluetooth...
    PC info: AMD Ryzen 7 2700X, Asus ROG Crosshair VII Hero, 16GB Tforce Pro Dark DDR4 3200, Gigabyte GTX 1080, Samsung 850 Pro M.2, 2x 240GB SSD, 3TB WD Green HDD & 4 TB Seagate Barracuda HDD, Corsair Modular 750w PSU, custom watercooling loop. (Win 10 Pro & Opensuse Leap 15 Linux) 32" AOC 4K Monitor.

Laptop: Aorus X5 V6-CF1 (I7-6820HK, GTX 1070, 2* 256GB M.2 NVME, 1TB 7200 HDD 3K screen)
    RedRizla said:
    kojack said:

I might see what the online brings on Playstation 4 and if it's any good I might get a used Playstaion 4 instead of spending £329.99 on a Playstation 4 Pro with the game included. I don't think I can wait for over a year to play this game, but my god do the Console controllers suck. The aim I imagine is like trying to fire a riffle while you're completely drunk..

@kojack - Are you a Console gamer? How do you find the Playstion controller if you are?
    The last console I owned was an Intellivision.
    The last console I touched (but didn't own) was a Playstation 1.
    :)

But oddly enough I just bought a cheap PS4 Dual Shock 4 controller from china in the 11/11 sales on Aliexpress. But my intended use is different to most people. On Thursday I reverse engineered it's usb data and got my input library to decode everything (gyro data, touch pad, etc). I may never actually use it to play a game, I just wanted to see if I could get it running from C++. I've got a Nintendo joy con (the switch dual controllers) on the way too, for the same reason.

Generally I don't like the Playstation layout. I prefer Xbox controllers. Much better dpad (dual shock feels mushy on the dpad, the xbox one has sharp click on the buttons with almost no travel before the click). Then again both are vastly superior to a Steam Controller.

Games like GTA (and anything that involves aiming) are definitely keyboard/mouse for me. I use console controllers for games like dark souls.

Trinity
    kojack said:  snip...

Generally I don't like the Playstation layout. I prefer Xbox controllers. Much better dpad (dual shock feels mushy on the dpad, the xbox one has sharp click on the buttons with almost no travel before the click). Then again both are vastly superior to a Steam Controller.
    I wasn't going to mention the Steam controller...  Yes, I bought one  >:)

edited November 24
    Guess I might hold fire and see if Red Dead Redemption 2 is going to come to the PC. In the mean time I'll just play GTA V on PC and see if I can find myself a Cowboy Hat and Horse.. 
    RattyUK said:
    kojack said:  snip...

I wasn't going to mention the Steam controller...  Yes, I bought one  >:)
    I do like the haptic motors in them.
    But everything else is just bad. The action buttons are too small, the thumbstick is convex instead of concave (more likely to have your thumb slip), the underneath paddles are really the battery compartment cover, pressing one paddle and Valve won't give it an API for use outside of Steam (you just get emulation, there's no non-steam programmer support). The triggers have very little travel too, very hard to get an accurate value besides 0 or 100%.

I saw this yesterday in JB Hifi:

Best for VR (Oculus Rift). Really? Why?

Trinity
    edited November 24
    I don't have particularly large hands, the Steam controller is uncomfortable and the tiny buttons are hard to reach...  The touch pads are great in principle but not practice - basically the controller is wasted on me :)  I ended up buying a Microsoft controller to play those games only best suited to a controller, that hurt me more than buying the Steam one!

Trinity
    kojack said:

Because you won't be able to see it?

edited November 24
    Next you will see foods in Super Markets with logo's saying: "The best Steak for VR". Talk about these company's just trying to cash in on VR..
  • pyroth309pyroth309 Posts: 442
    Trinity
    RattyUK said:
    kojack said:

Because you won't be able to see it?
    Thanks, I spit coffee on my keyboard. 

And yea, I can't stand controllers and don't understand how people prefer them. I guess it's just what you get used to. I can play fine with a controller but it's just not enjoyable to me for FPS/third person shooter games. 
    pyroth309 said:

And yea, I can't stand controllers and don't understand how people prefer them. I guess it's just what you get used to. I can play fine with a controller but it's just not enjoyable to me for FPS/third person shooter games. 

I don't think Console users actually like the controllers from what I've read. I think it's just a case of having to put up with them..
    RedRizla said:
    Next you will see foods in Super Markets with logo's saying: "The best Steak for VR". Talk about these company's just trying to cash in on VR..
    Soylent style drinks are best for VR. I can last hours in Elite Dangerous without taking the rift off thanks to a large jug of ice cold Aussielent and a straw.

Hmm, looking at the Stratus XL website, they say it has no haptic feedback.
    How can it be the best for VR when it doesn't have vibration like every other controller?

Trinity
    edited November 24
    RedRizla said:
    pyroth309 said:

I don't think Console users actually like the controllers from what I've read. I think it's just a case of having to put up with them..
    Nah there's a bunch of die hard controller users that complain about using mouse/keyboard. Heck, several of my friends use a controller on PC which I just shake my head about lol. I mean I get that it's more comfortable but I'd rather keep my precision than goof around with a controller. My closest friend always tells me, "But i can just slouch back on my couch and play without having to be up to a desk." So I guess it's just the more relaxed/lazy way to play idk. My response to that is...get a better computer desk/chair because I'm perfectly comfortable while playing. Ergonomics is key. Half the time I'm leaning back in my chair 45 degrees and playing lol
    edited November 24
    @pyroth309 - I created a computer chair that allows me to use the arm rest for my mouse and the other arm rest to swivel my keyboard. It's an old Ikea chair and the wood cost me £5. Oh yes and £10 for a memory foam seat that usually sits in a wheel chair because I found my arse got sore after 20 mins with the other seat. So I just sit in-front of my television now and I'm more then comfortable. I've woken up in this chair a few times with my computer still on..

It's not a VR ready chair though..
    Trinity
    RedRizla said:
    It's not a VR ready chair though..
    That's completely trash then! 

But yea I considered doing something similar to my chair. I've also wanted to build a complete custom desk/chair setup. I've been inspired by J.P's setup in the movie grandma's boy since it came out, just need to execute it. 

• LuciferousLuciferous Posts: 1,512
    Wintermute
    I have been trying to play it on my Sons Xbox and although it is a great game, the bit that should be the best part, shooting people is as boring and as awkward as hell.

I think even with a mouse it is going to fall flat for me now. I was playing Fallout VR last night and the experience is on a whole new level. 

Flat screen games are just not engaging and immersive enough for me any more. Using even a mouse now seems so disconnected, not sure I can ever go back.

I may have to hang up my hat on this one.
  • bigmike20vtbigmike20vt Posts: 3,462 Valuable Player
    well dont forget there is code in the playstation version mentioning oculus so........................................ fingers crossed.
    Fiat Coupe, gone. 350Z gone. Dirty nappies, no sleep & practical transport incoming. Thank goodness for VR :)
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 874
    Neo
    I was thinking of getting a PSPro but talk myself out of it due to the controllers. Looks like a made the right choice. Also I have so many games on pc i haven't completed it just doesn't make sense. 
    edited November 29
    I purchased PlayStaion Pro again and took it back again. Apparently on the PlayStation Pro there's a blur problem with Red Dead Redemption 2 when using 4k. Glad I took the second one back though because I've got loads of games on the PC that I haven't even started. Metro, The Witcher, Dying Light, Far Cry 5 etc..
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,341 Power Poster
    I have been trying to play it on my Sons Xbox and although it is a great game, the bit that should be the best part, shooting people is as boring and as awkward as hell.

I think even with a mouse it is going to fall flat for me now. I was playing Fallout VR last night and the experience is on a whole new level. 

Flat screen games are just not engaging and immersive enough for me any more. Using even a mouse now seems so disconnected, not sure I can ever go back.

Yup, I'm the same since getting my Rift just over two years ago. Flat gaming is dead to me, it just isn't the same playing the game on a telly compared to be INSIDE the game.

With regards to Red Dead Redemption 2 I can't see it coming to the PC. The first game didn't, did it? Unless I missed it?
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • nroskonrosko Posts: 874
    Neo
    No it didn't but the first was exclusive i think the second is out on the xbox as well. plus there are those PC/Oculus related files they found in the game so who knows. 
    Trinity
    snowdog said:

Yup, I'm the same since getting my Rift just over two years ago. Flat gaming is dead to me, it just isn't the same playing the game on a telly compared to be INSIDE the game.

With regards to Red Dead Redemption 2 I can't see it coming to the PC. The first game didn't, did it? Unless I missed it?
    A big part of the reason they didn't port it is because the game code was a mess and was specifically engineered for that console tier. First Red dead was on Xbox360 also. That barrier isn't there anymore for them in 2018 so I'd say theres' a better chance of it coming to PC but I wouldn't hold my breath either.
    edited November 29
    I think they will bring it to PC given how successful GTA V is online on the PC. There were reasons the first Read Dead Redemption couldn't be brought to PC, but there's no reason why this one can't be and PC players are eager for it. They would sell loads of copies for the PC, so they would be a bit stupid not to bring it to the PC after the success of GTA V. Problem is it's going to take a while 6 months minimum..
  • cyberealitycybereality Posts: 26,156 Oculus Staff
    I actually like the Xbox One controller, and use it on the PC. While mouse certainly has better accuracy for first person shooter games, I would posit the Xbox gamepad is better for everything else. For example, try playing a racing game with the mouse and keyboard, not so great. Or try doing careful movement in a 3rd person game (lets say walking slowly on a high beam) which is very difficult with WASD but easy with an analog stick. Also, using your pinky finger to press the Control key to crouch is horrible. Even worse if you are trying to do special techniques (like jumping and then crouching to get on a box in an FPS, or running and sliding in a parkour game). The gamepad IMO is better in almost every way (except for aiming a gun).
    AMD Ryzen 7 1800X | MSI X370 Titanium | G.Skill 16GB DDR4 3200 | EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 | Corsair Hydro H110i
    Gigabyte RX Vega 64 x2 | Samsung 960 Evo M.2 500GB | Seagate FireCuda SSHD 2TB | Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV
    I'm going to try a few PC games with the XBox controller. I'm going to start using it with The Witcher because Mouse & Keyboard suck in that game..
    Trinity
    edited November 29
    I actually like the Xbox One controller, and use it on the PC. While mouse certainly has better accuracy for first person shooter games, I would posit the Xbox gamepad is better for everything else. For example, try playing a racing game with the mouse and keyboard, not so great. Or try doing careful movement in a 3rd person game (lets say walking slowly on a high beam) which is very difficult with WASD but easy with an analog stick. Also, using your pinky finger to press the Control key to crouch is horrible. Even worse if you are trying to do special techniques (like jumping and then crouching to get on a box in an FPS, or running and sliding in a parkour game). The gamepad IMO is better in almost every way (except for aiming a gun).
    I see your point and I guess a lot of it is just preference. No argument from me on racing or simulator type games for the most part. I'm actually much better with a mouse/keyboard in Rocket league than controller, but other than that, controller does perform better for most. I prefer specialized flight or driving peripherals over both though. 

Careful movement can be had to an extent with key tapping but I do agree it won't be as precise for really small movements. As far as control key to crouch, couldn't agree more that it's horrible. Mine always gets remapped immediately. I guess I'm just weird because I prefer WASD for the vast majority of games over controllers (and i've used them all). I actually prefer to dark souls with keyboard/mouse as I like being able to spin the camera fast after dodging attacks to get some more hits in behind. The biggest pro to WASD to me is the immediate response from keys vs having to move an analog stick across its axis to get the same response. Now granted this can also be a negative in some situations, but I've gotten good at hyper tapping my keys and I can give fairly precise movements, enough that it's not a disadavantage except in the most niche of situations. 
  • SkScotcheggSkScotchegg Posts: 662
    Neo
    Guys I was going to wait for PC too but after watching people play on YouTube I couldn't wait! So my mother bought me this game as an early Christmas present and it's absolutely amazing!!! And looks beautiful on my standard PS4 with 4k Sony TV.

Just buy it! You won't regret it! It's game of the year for me, I thought Spiderman was ok at first but then got bored really fast, I think it's overrated and Spidermans graphics and gameplay with quite poor imo.

Read Dead Redemption 2 has amazing gameplay, story and graphics, 10/10 for everything!!!!! :)