New to the forums? Click here to read the "How To" Guide.

Developer? Click here to go to the Developer Forums.

Dropping rift 2 and Oculus quest

So by now we've all heard the news that the rift 2 in a non starter. sad news but ok.
how hard would it be for oculus to add a display port pass through to the quest. 
It'll have better optics, the new built in tracking. its got a battery built in, so literally all thats needed in one displayport/ usb. 

From my point of view i could have my cake and eat it because id get all the joy of the un-tethered quest experience + the ability to run high end experiences when tethered to my PC. Which would also that my investment in a gaming PC wouldn't be wasted. 

I need to also add my dissatisfaction of the decision to add yet another "app store" into the mix when really we should just be turning down the gfx settings instead. 
i went originally from steam to oculus. Now if i want to invest my cash in the wireless quest. Im being told that i will have to rebuy my games a third time?? I dont really like that idea.

Let me know what you want to get out of the new quest experience and lets see if we can help oculus make a great gen 2 product for all of us to buy and love.

Tagged:

Comments

• DaftnDirectDaftnDirect Posts: 4,268 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018

I don't think we've had any confirmation on Rift 2... we just know it wasn't part of the Oculus Connect keynotes and therefore not likely to be on sale anytime soon. It was confirmed that PC VR is being developed so most people think Rift 2 is in the works, timescales are just something that different people have different views on and there are plenty of other threads going into that so I won't speculate further here.

A Quest that's PC capable is great idea but not quite as simple as adding the necessary connections. The tracking systems are completely different. The Quest being optical inside-out and Rift being fixed-position outside-in (thanks @kojack for the full definition I think). So anyway, that would mean either the Quest having to incorporate both systems to run the PC games available... or all the PC games being re-written to be compatible with a PC connected Quest. I don't know if it's possible for the Oculus runtime to be revised to run existing Rift games on both systems. Perhaps not impossible but just something to add to the mix.

The third ingredient is tracking accuracy. We don't yet know how the two systems compare. If there's a noticeable difference, I suspect PC VR gamers won't be happy.

I've no doubt that within a few years, we'll have a unified headset capable of both standalone scaled-down VR and PC connected full-fat VR, I'm just not sure we're at the stage yet. Personally I'll be trying out the Quest and then decide how the tracking compares. I think I welcome this intermediate step, whilst a dedicated PC VR update is developed separately.

As far as buying the same games again for the Quest, yeah, until we have that unified device, there's little point in a single games portal as the games will remain quite different in capability and focus. On the plus side, Quest's cordless freedom of movement will bring about a whole new raft of games based on better incorporation of your real-world surroundings (I think the games will have to do that), as well as object recognition and augmented reality.

Intel 5820K [email protected], Titan X (Maxwell), 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4, ASRock X99 Taichi, Samsung 500Gb 960 Evo M.2, Corsair H100i v2 Cooler, Inateck KTU3FR-4P USB 3 card, Windows 10 Pro v1809 (17763.348)
  • RedRizlaRedRizla Posts: 5,321 Valuable Player
    edited November 2018
    Thorley42 said:

Let me know what you want to get out of the new quest experience and lets see if we can help oculus make a great gen 2 product for all of us to buy and love.

What's the point in letting you know what we want out of Oculus Quest? Because unless you work for the team behind Oculus Quest, it's not going to change anything. Lots of people already spoke about Oculus Quest been tethered, but there are reasons why it won't be. Also PC VR is still be worked on, so I wouldn't read in to what other websites tell you..

Edit: The title of the thread makes it look like they are dropping Oculus Quest btw, which is why I looked at the thread.. 
  • snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,797 Valuable Player
    RedRizla said:
    Thorley42 said:

What's the point in letting you know what we want out of Oculus Quest? Because unless you work for the team behind Oculus Quest, it's not going to change anything. Lots of people already spoke about Oculus Quest been tethered, but there are reasons why it won't be. Also PC VR is still be worked on, so I wouldn't read in to what other websites tell you..

Edit: The title of the thread makes it look like they are dropping Oculus Quest btw, which is why I looked at the thread.. 

For the sake of conversation, you unsociable git lol  :p :D
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever
  • Thorley42Thorley42 Posts: 2
    NerveGear
    lol, and to get our feedback read by the dev team hopefully. 
    "you dont get if you dont ask" 

• snowdogsnowdog Posts: 5,797 Valuable Player
    I'm not interest in the Oculus Quest because I'm not interested in a mobile VR headset, I'm all about high-end PC VR.

Which is why I won't go near the CV2 if it doesn't have flawless 360 degrees tracking. Inside-out tracking isn't good enough for high-end PC VR even if you add more cameras, which is why I think those articles from TechCrunch are a load of old bollocks.
    "This you have to understand. There's only one way to hurt a man who's lost everything. Give him back something broken."

Thomas Covenant, Unbeliever