New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Seeking Export Workflow Tips (3ds Max, Maya, Unreal etc)

R2D2XR2D2X Posts: 9
NerveGear
Hi Everyone.
I've read the export guideline pdf and skimmed some other posts but am still having trouble and would appreciate any workflow tips you have.

Today I exported a model at 10% decimation with 4K textures, and it looks spotty when imported to 3ds Max. I noticed in the pdf that I should export with no decimation, but that often means super slow exports that sometimes take what seems like forever (I have an i7 with 32 gigs ram and an Evo drive).

Eventually I would like to bring them into game engines, and I know there will need to be some kind of re-topology / baking of high res textures. However I know nothing about that stuff!

If anyone can give me tips I'd be so grateful.

thanks!

Comments

• P3nT4gR4mP3nT4gR4m Posts: 1,639 Valuable Player
    edited November 29
    Not sure if it's what's wrong here (don't know max) but try flipping the green channel in your normal maps. Also no decimation should only be used with vertex colour exports. As you noticed - it'll take forever to unwrap a hipoly and the results will still suck.

*edit - make sure you use tangent space normal maps too
  • falken76falken76 Posts: 2,612 Valuable Player
    Medium will create extremely heavy meshes, so the extremely slow reaction on your I7 w/ 32 gigs is normal.  I would try importing the model as it is from Medium with no decimation and then add that modifier from within max.  It's going to be alot of work to fix.  Medium doesn't seem like a good option for modeling for game engines, the meshes are made out of what look like metaballs so they'd be super dense.  Is this the case?