New to the forums? Click here to read the How To guide. -- Developers click here.

Why does HDM go to usb 2.0, sometimes?

TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 483
Trinity
Why does my cv-1 report via Oculus pc app. usb 2.0 sometimes, sometimes 3.0?
Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!

Comments

• dburnedburne Posts: 1,632
    Project 2501
    Sounds like maybe a USB 3 port issue. Do you have everything connected on one USB 3 root hub?
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 483
    Trinity
    No, diff usb 3.0 ports.  Both sensors to usb 3.0 board on my AGA = Alienware Graphics Amplifier and I've never had any problems with these, always work fine and always report usb 3.0 connection.  Rift hdmi to AGA's 1080ti hdmi and usb to one of my laptop's usb 3.0 ports.  Really does not seem to matter where I connect the Rift usb to (AGA usb 3.0, or laptop's usb 3.0 or TB3.1).  

If I simply disconnect, then reconnect the Rift usb it always goes to 3.0.  Actually, I have never noticed any performance differences with it either reporting 3.0 or 2.0 so maybe this does not really matter?
    Alienware 17r4 Laptop with i7-7700hq 2.8/3.6, 32 gb ram, gtx1060 w/6gb ram, 256gb ssd, 1tb hdd, Oculus Rift w/2x sensors.  Now using an Alienware Graphics Amplifier (AGA) with Zotac gtx1080ti Blower and Asus vg248qe 144hz external monitor.  All works great!

Also have a 64gb Oculus Go which I love for travel and quick VR Fixes.  Looking forward to the Quest!
  • dburnedburne Posts: 1,632
    Project 2501
    TomCgcmfc said:
    No, diff usb 3.0 ports.  Both sensors to usb 3.0 board on my AGA = Alienware Graphics Amplifier and I've never had any problems with these, always work fine and always report usb 3.0 connection.  Rift hdmi to AGA's 1080ti hdmi and usb to one of my laptop's usb 3.0 ports.  Really does not seem to matter where I connect the Rift usb to (AGA usb 3.0, or laptop's usb 3.0 or TB3.1).  

If I simply disconnect, then reconnect the Rift usb it always goes to 3.0.  Actually, I have never noticed any performance differences with it either reporting 3.0 or 2.0 so maybe this does not really matter?
    Yeah while something like that would annoy me, if you can't really notice a difference then probably just try to ignore the message.
    Don

EVGA X-79 Dark MB | I7 [email protected] GHz | EVGA 2080Ti FTW3 Ultra |16GB Corsair Platinum 2133MHz | Warthog Throttle | VKB Gunfighter Pro/MCG Pro grip | Crosswind Pedals |
  • TomCgcmfcTomCgcmfc Posts: 483
    Trinity
    dburne said:
    TomCgcmfc said:

Yeah while something like that would annoy me, if you can't really notice a difference then probably just try to ignore the message.

Ya, I never actually get a warning message, I just see this when I bother to look at devices on my Oculus PC app.  I think I'll just stop looking, lol!  Could be just a typical Oculus reporting error.  Like when I just rolled back to 1.32 the what's new app update says version 1.33 but the app settings/general tab says 1.32.